• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

moka

I'm not familiar with terms related to American Universities but what is an Entrepreneur in Residence? She was that at Georgetown apparently.

In a business school setting, an EIR acts as a mentor and coach to students.

At my university we have a business unit where students with business ideas can go and get help from professionals. I'm guessing Mrs. Wilson one of those 'professionals'.

Spwn

Can someone post this stuff (indiegogo projects and the comments made in the name of then 7 year old MacKenzie) on the comments section of the kickstarter project? I'm curious to see the response from the supporters to that.

Goon Boon

Banned
Can someone post this stuff (indiegogo projects and the comments made in the name of then 7 year old MacKenzie) on the comments section of the kickstarter project?

You mean this right
BoObDqZ.png

Jac_Solar

So I got an email from Kickstarter this morning.

Last night I sent an email to Susan Wilson complaining about how her project was unethical. Today, Kickstarter sent me an email saying I had abused their system and now features on the site are going to be withheld from me.

Did you send it through Kickstarter, somehow? Or to a Kickstarter account? If not, what business is it of Kickstarter what you email to people? They can't ban users for something they do on their own email, or what they post on other forums.

Does she know someone personally at Kickstarter, or something like that? Why would they ban someone for emailing someone using a Kickstarter?

Vamphuntr

At my university we have a business unit where students with business ideas can go and get help from professionals. I'm guessing Mrs. Wilson one of those 'professionals'.

Thank you!

Georgetown is a good univeristy in the US, right? If only they knew. Wow.

Spwn

And since the brothers have also played part in the past crowdfunding projects (including even "funding" them), it's safe to assume this is further proof that no one is getting back at anyone in the kickstarter project. We all know it, I'll just say it out loud that the brothers vs sister setting of the ks project is a façade.

moka

Wait what? Isn't she supposed to be 9 now which would mean she's 7 here...and she has a Facebook, which you need to be 13 for. WTH

You'd be surprised. 7 year olds on Facebook isn't even classed as unusual anymore but I think it's pretty fucking weird.

It seems unfair but from what I've read it is within the rules of KS.

Understand that in our world this is how the rich get richer, for the most part it is because they are cheap opportunists. Talk to a cab driver and they will tell you rich people are the worse tippers. Look at all the industries built around rich people paying less than they are supposed to, accountants, lawyers, overseas banks, loopholes.

This is just an example of what is happening everywhere all the time. All we can do is try and make the best decisions when we have the opportunity to do so, eg. not funding this KS.

Occupy Kickstarter!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-me-get-these-kids-off-video-games-hunting-for-real-treasure?c=pledges

The family's actually funding their own project. I've wondered if that's part of what's going on with the $20K, as a PR stunt.

Which is kind of dumb. They contributed $205 of the $255 donated and the other $50 was donated anonymously and might have been them also. Which means they threw in that "seed money" and made very little -if any - because they LOST the money indiegogo took as fees.

0xCA2

And since the brothers have also played part in the past crowdfunding projects (including even "funding" them), it's safe to assume this is further proof that no one is getting back at anyone in the kickstarter project. We all know it, I'll just say it out loud that the brothers vs sister setting of the ks project is a façade.

yup, they will probably get a cut for playing along. A good ol' family scam.

kirby_fox

Banned
I did contact her earlier today to see if she'd do an interview to clarify some of these accusations.

I don't plan on hearing back, but if other sites weren't going to do it- I figured I'd give it a shot. If I do hear back, I'll be sure to write up an article for GAF.

Spwn

I think Huffington Post got it wrong - I don't think anyone is accusing the daughter. In fact, I don't believe she has anything to do with this at all. But it does make a good headline.

Kikujiro

This is why she reached out to 4chan and Reddit instead of just calling them trolls (like the cnet artcile), she didn't want people to dig further, because things will only get uglier. I don't think she means any ill, she doesn't understand how shameless it is, for her it's just another way to make money.

Yeah, nobody ever accused the daughter, it's sad how you can use your kids to your own advantage.

I think Huffington Post got it wrong - I don't think anyone is accusing the daughter. In fact, I don't believe she has anything to do with this at all. But it does make a good headline.

Well at least it's the mother's face that's plastered all over the screen.

moka

Well at least it's the mother's face that's plastered all over the screen.

I messaged the author to try and get her to change the sub-headline but I think it may be too late. In any case, I think most people will figure out that her daughter is innocent after reading the article, if they don't already know.

LordCanti

It's glorious.

"Entrepreneur And Daughter Accused Of Scamming Kickstarter For $20,000."

I think they should have removed the and daughter part though. She's only 9 and appears to be innocent.

They definitely should have left the daughter out. It's nice to see someone not issue what is essentially a press release combined with calling us all misogynist trolls though.

Then cancel the kickstarter already and use your own damn money.

When confronted, most con artists tend to keep acting like it's not a con as long as possible. We're currently in the "I didn't want or need this money anyway" phase.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
This whole thing reminds me of that balloon boy hoax. This Susan lady is like a perfect match for the father in that hoax.

They're both pulling this stunt for the publicity. And I've always had the feeling that the family is doing a lot of the funding for the kickstarter themselves, to create some sort of a "craze".

Anytime you reach for 4chan you're literally working with the devil. You have no clue if it'll work and there's a higher chance you're dooming yourself in the process.

Darryl

Banned
This whole thing reminds me of that balloon boy hoax. This Susan lady is like a perfect match for the father in that hoax.

They're both pulling this stunt for the publicity. And I've always had the feeling that the family is doing a lot of the funding for the kickstarter themselves, to create some sort of a "craze".

this is all a scam to help her sell fifty-shades.com

Doczu

They can be bad, if they bother to. You never know, she might get lucky.

No way. If 4chan trolls stard their massive spamming attack and information digging, she will be sorry to ever ask them for advice.
But she'll just use the backlash as a diversion on all the attacks on her person.

Her best friend Julie Brown is really annoying...

One more thing I'm posting one of the many threats Susan is receiving:

SuperfastjelIy has made a comment on Personal Realities of Successful Women
To reply to this comment click here.
To see all comments on this video click here.
I'm going to break into your house and rape your daughter.
Help center • Email options • Report spam • Unsubscribe
It's sad that at this point the FBI is involved. Don't let this scare the backers. I say we continue to pledge and prove anyone against. They're WRONG!!
©2013 YouTube, LLC 901 Cherry Ave, San Bruno, CA 94066

A youtube death threat? Getting the FBI involved? Really?

Challenging 4chan seems like a good way for her to try gain sympathy and to write off anyone critical of her KS as just a bunch of sexist trolls.

4chan can go pretty dark when provoked and that isnt really what is needed here.

We can protest this bullshit without being jerks.

The easiest being to support for any kickstarter projects you are backing and make it known why.

Top Bottom