• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Dis gon b gud.

popcorn.jpg

Brak

One more question....sorry if already discussed:

She's referred to as a millionaire in the thread title, and she herself admits that she's had success in business.

However, in her latest KS update she vehemently denies any wealth, referring to herself as "unemployed at this very moment" and stating that her success doesn't equal wealth.

Is there anything to the contrary of this? I'd have to say that much of my initial distaste towards the project (and a lot of others too, i'm sure) was based around her supposed fortune or successful career.

Edit: Although she admits that she could've paid for the camp herself on the Kotaku article, so the whole thing continues to remain fishy alongside everything else.
A. I don't trust a thing that she says.

B. She said that she doesn't have a million dollars in the bank. Even if we accept that, her net worth is likely much, much more than a million dollars.

iammeiam

Is there anything you can't buy on Alibaba?

I wonder if she went that route or the buying it on Amazon and reselling route.

She was most likely planning to go the Alibaba route if she got actual backing; my guess is that the pictured case for the project was an Incipio (which is why you get 0 shots of where the logo should be), but she wouldn't want the logo on things she actually sent to backers.

I reckon we need a thread title update, it just doesn't cut it anymore.

"Internet scammer eats her own babies" would be my suggestion but what do I know.

Just going to do a stream of consciousness here ahem...[ignore]You couldn't make it up/Political correctness gone mad[/ignore]

JABEE

Scammer with experience scamming tricks Kotaku into writing one-sided sham article. Whoever approved the article should be ashamed of himself.

angelfly

did i miss this bit?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...l?utm_hp_ref=technology&utm_hp_ref=technology

Kickstarter is a funding platform for creative projects. The goal of this project is to create a video game, which backers are offered for a $10 pledge. On Kickstarter backers ultimately decide the validity and worthiness of a project by whether they decide to fund it.

Kickstarter responded and said that Mackenzie continues to have their full support. (Wilson provided a copy of those messages to The Huffington Post).

mrgone

Did she really challenge 4chan to come up with a use for the money that falls within Kickstarter's guidelines? This shit is infuriating.

Brak

did i miss this bit?
It was first confirmed in Eric Mack's terrible CNet article in which he quoted a kickstarter employee named Justin Kazmark.

The quote in question:
Kickstarter is a funding platform for creative projects. The goal of this project is to create a video game, which backers are offered for a $10 pledge. On Kickstarter backers ultimately decide the validity and worthiness of a project by whether they decide to fund it.
This exact same quote has now appeared in all of the articles since, whether attributing it to Justin Kazmark or not. I find this to be a terribly inadequate form response from Kickstarter considering how much this shit is blowing up.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I hope these articles don't end up making this thing backfire....

Of course this more than likely was her plan.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Did something new happen today? Or is it just 10 pages of hand wringing?

This lady really is a genius though. She came up with a scheme that stars the 'dreams of a 9 year old girl' , and the obvious 4chan asshole brigade becomes the face of ALL criticism against it, so logic flies out the window immediately. Anything that resembles logic can be dismissed as just more 'internet pile-on'.

Someone starts a kickstarter, ignores TOS, uses own children against each other to garner interest in the 'project'. Meanwhile her husband has an indiegogo to get his kids OFF video games.

Kickstarter ignores their own rules cause 'money' and 'aww it's a 9 year old' so does the press. Anyone who disagrees is a troll and a peadophile or something.

People find loads of DIRT on her, she seems incredibly shady. BUY IPHONE CASES NOW NOW NOW!$$!!

It's all rather depressing, the world is against us, I have the flu, I'm off to bed.

Come on gaf she is 9 years old after all, let's show those sexist pigs (her brothers) what for.

HERE'S ALL MY MONEY.

One more question....sorry if already discussed:

She's referred to as a millionaire in the thread title, and she herself admits that she's had success in business.

However, in her latest KS update she vehemently denies any wealth, referring to herself as "unemployed at this very moment" and stating that her success doesn't equal wealth.

Is there anything to the contrary of this? I'd have to say that much of my initial distaste towards the project (and a lot of others too, i'm sure) was based around her supposed fortune or successful career.

Edit: Although she admits that she could've paid for the camp herself on the Kotaku article, so the whole thing continues to remain fishy alongside everything else.

I'm not convinced she's a millionaire and there's no hard proof of her success but an article about her being an entrepreneur.
My impression is that entrepreneur is her job and things such as this kickstarter is how she makes her living currently.

vg260

The thing that makes me sick about this is how she's using the supposed terrible behavior of her boys as a rallying point for people to donate money, including using a written apology as a stretch goal. That's disgusting. Great values you're teaching there.

lol wtf they directly contact her for her point of view and then quote Mens Rights for the "other side." Good to know bad journalism isn't contained only in the games industry.

Kaedryl

Neo Member
I'm also surprised no one has commented on the $15 reward:

Wceei5P.png

Sounds more like a dare at the sorority kegger than a girl affirming message.

kirblar

lol wtf they directly contact her for her point of view and then quote Mens Rights for the "other side." Good to know bad journalism isn't contained only in the games industry.
Everything is terrible- people think it's exclusive to those areas in which they have personal first-hand experience.

Nope, its everything, unfortunately.

JABEE

And take quotes from her, and attribute them to Kickstarter with no verification!

It's no surprise to me the side of the line Kickstarter has chosen. Forum/chan/reddit users are what made Kickstarter big, but now they'd rather appease the mainstream.

Vamphuntr

I hate it when media takes the wrong side because they feel like being a white knight. Bullying is an horrible social issues that destroys the life of many people and I don't want to downplay it's importance at all but at the first use of bullying or its internet counterpart trolling it seems everyone takes the side of the "victim" without looking at the facts.

EDIT: It's basically the magical card you can play when you are in trouble. Scammer being debunked? Oh the internet is SO mean with me.

Goon Boon

Banned
I hate it when media takes the wrong side because they feel like being a white knight. Bullying is an horrible social issues that destroys the life of many people and I don't want to downplay it's importance at all but at the first use of bullying or its internet counterpart trolling it seems everyone takes the side of the "victim" without looking at the facts.

EDIT: It's basically the magical card you can play when you are in trouble. Scammer being debunked? Oh the internet is SO mean with me.

The media would rather stick with being wrong than admit being duped.

I keep trying to stop reading this thread because I'm ultimately done.

I know someone else mentioned it above (I believe it was on this page) but to me this really is less about the woman and anything she's done and more about Kickstarter not upholding its policies, quite likely because it really just comes down to money. Or possibly because they'd look like bad guys in some way.

As for outcomes I think the best would be if she just cancelled the project. Her daughter is going to camp, she's proven that much money could be made with crowdfunding, and it'd stop a lot of the negative side of things that she's dealing with. All around her goals would be met and while I still wouldn't plan to support Kickstarter themselves in the future I'd at least feel the correct thing had been done in terms of this particular project.

But if she lets it run its course and continues to look for outside answers on what to do with the money? Use the money, after fees, to pay for all the rewards and anything left over should simply be donated. Who honestly cares if that is against the Kickstarter terms at this point since neither her, nor Kickstarter, have followed all the rules all that well. And there's no legal action if her daughter still produces a game and they're able to fulfill all the reward tiers so the remaining money at that point could be used for anything. I know it's not supposed to be used that way but there's nothing legally stopping her. Put it towards some sort of education or women's rights charity or something.

Anyhow, there needs to be less focus on the woman's personal financial situation as that's really just a moral issue. To me this was always about the factors that were against the actual terms of service and by bringing up all her personal stuff it only engenders people to her instead of looking at the real problems of Kickstarter allowing this to continue.

Blah.

Top Bottom