• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo and Bannon used GamerGate to further white supremacist ideals in the media

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
If people are wondering why we are having discussions like "it's mean to make a game about killing Nazis" and "what's wrong with a youtuber being a white supremacist", this article shines a lot of light on how we got to where we are. It started with white supremacists fueling GamerGate and eventually co-opting it to steer it's members towards Nazism/alt-right. Several of the "disgruntled" gamers that championed the "harassing of women for ethics in game journalism" cause were picked up by Steve Bannon (yes, the Steve Bannon who was in the White House and one of Trump's close confidants and strategists) and Milo then massaged into roles writing pro-white supremacy articles for Brietbart.

This article is a must-read:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbern...te-nationalism?utm_term=.kyRqzbbga#.iqM54XXaL

Some choice quotes:

At the time, Yiannopoulos, who would later describe himself as a ”fellow traveler" of the alt-right, was the tech editor of Breitbart. In summer 2015, after spending a year gathering momentum through GamerGate — the opening salvo of the new culture wars — he convinced Breitbart upper management to give him his own section. And for four months, he helped Bannon wage what the Breitbart boss called in emails to staff ”#war." It was a war, fought story by story, against the perceived forces of liberal activism on every conceivable battleground in American life.

Yiannopoulos forwarded it all, along with the Wikipedia entries for ”Alternative Right" and the esoteric far-right Italian philosopher Julius Evola — a major influence on 20th-century Italian fascists and Richard Spencer alike — to Allum Bokhari, his deputy and frequent ghostwriter, whom he had met during GamerGate. ”Include a bit of everything," he instructed Bokhari.

Yiannopoulos managed all of his assistants and ghostwriters under his own umbrella, using ”yiannopoulos.net" emails and private Slack rooms. This structure insulated Breitbart's upper management from the 4chan savants and GamerGate vets working for Yiannopoulos. And it gave Yiannopoulos a staff loyal to him above Breitbart.

Toxi

Banned
This article exposed a lot of people for the two-faced cowards they really are.
In addition to tech and entertainment, Yiannopoulos had hidden helpers in the liberal media against which he and Bannon fought so uncompromisingly. A long-running email group devoted to mocking stories about the social justice internet included, predictably, Yiannopoulos’s friend Ann Coulter, but also Mitchell Sunderland, a senior staff writer at Broadly, Vice’s women’s channel. According to its “About” page, Broadly “is devoted to representing the multiplicity of women's experiences. … we provide a sustained focus on the issues that matter most to women.”

“Please mock this fat feminist,” Sunderland wrote to Yiannopoulos in May 2016, along with a link to an article by the New York Times columnist Lindy West, who frequently writes about fat acceptance. And while Sunderland was Broadly’s managing editor, he sent a Broadly video about the Satanic Temple and abortion rights to Tim Gionet with instructions to “do whatever with this on Breitbart. It’s insane.” The next day, Breitbart published an article titled “‘Satanic Temple’ Joins Planned Parenthood in Pro-Abortion Crusade.”

Dan Lyons, the veteran tech reporter and editor who also worked for nearly two years on HBO’s Silicon Valley, emailed Yiannopoulos (“you little troublemaker”) periodically to wonder about the birth sex of Zoë Quinn, another GamerGate target, and Amber Discko, the founder of the feminist website Femsplain, and to suggest a story about the public treatment of the venture capitalist Joe Lonsdale, who had been accused of sexual assault in a lawsuit that the plaintiff eventually dropped.
And the former Slate technology writer David Auerbach, who once began a column “Gamergate must end as soon as possible,” passed along on background information about the love life of Anita Sarkeesian, the GamerGate target; “the goods” about an allegedly racist friend of Arthur Chu, the Jeopardy champion and frequent advocate of social justice causes; and a “hot tip” about harsh anti-harassment tactics implemented by Wikipedia. Bokhari followed up with an article: “Wikipedia Can Now Ban You For What You Do On Other Websites.”

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Joining the dots we could all kind of see anyway. Sad as fuck, is it not?

Be great when we purge these shits and their toxic, hateful garbage from gaming and from society at large.

Still legitimately staggers me that we found ourselves knee-deep in this quagmire of filth in this day and age.

ApharmdX

Banned
This is not surprising. I've seen myself how, on other boards, fellow gamers were sucked into the alt-right rabbit hole from GamerGate complaints about game journalism. It provided an excellent recruiting tool for these shitheads. The Internet in general has proved an excellent tool for radicalizing young white men to turn towards white supremacy.

Milo/Bannon/etc. are just foul.

Maximo

giphy.gif

Yeah obvious when you saw the type of people at the front lines of this.

requiem02

Banned
Milo, a person who is not a white supremacist and married to an African American, used Gamergate to advance white supremacist ideals in the media? Give me a break.

^^ Look at this poster above. Always the juniors.

------------------

You don't say.

I mean, we all knew from the beginning that GamerGate was a collection of misanthropic racists and sexists, yet many people were more than willing to make excuses for them. Even now, their apologists infect this hobby like a rash.

Palmer Luckey.
JonTron.
TotalBiscuit.

The list goes on and on. Yet this article drops and I'm supposed to be surprised?

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
After the JonTron thread, I dread the thought of people coming in here to play devils advocate and arguing that Bannon and Milo aren't that bad and we are being unfair to them.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Well, duh.

388.jpg

We saw it happening at the time.

Nanashrew

Banned
The women were right the whole time and no one listened or did anything to help them or even prevent all this crap from getting worse.

I hate how many seem to care about about the reputation of men and hearing "both sides" and "waiting for the facts," and show little care about the safety of women.

Nishastra

Banned
Gamergate was (and is) always about being anti-diversity. Any time a woman or minority in games enters the public eye for some reason, they are harassed until they go away. All kinds of bullshit stories and rumors about them are produced and spread around and, as we've learned in recent years, the general public isn't interested in facts, so these baseless rumors pull more and more people into battle against complete innocents who either promote diversity or are themselves "diverse".

It has been repugnant since day one, but far too many people gave it a pass for some reason, regardless of how many people (mostly women) had their lives ruined by internet press gangs. I guess because it was "just games"?

Either way, the response to this actually highlights the whole problem. Regardless of how many women said this, nobody gave a shit, but now that a man wrote an article about it, suddenly everyone is shocked and appalled.

You don't say.

I mean, we all knew from the beginning that GamerGate was a collection of misanthropic racists and sexists, yet many people were more than willing to make excuses for them. Even now, their apologists infect this hobby like a rash.

Palmer Luckey.
JonTron.
TotalBiscuit.

The list goes on and on. Yet this article drops and I'm supposed to be surprised?

I really want to know if the self proclaimed voice of reason and worldly knowledge TotalBiscuit will comment on the article.

Or just pretend like he didn’t peddle GG.

The buzzfeed article is incredible. Highly cited apparently according to Google, it has tonsss of information. Great read though I didn't get through all of it yet.

Does Panera make you purchase items hourly to use WiFi? Get out of here.

Edit to remove your trash account from my post. Keep taking L’s in life junior.

requiem02

Banned
Oh my mistake guys, Buzzfeed says Milo is a white supremacist so I guess it's true! Can someone please pass this information on to his black husband?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
If you can read that article and come to the conclusion "Milo is not a white supremacist" please share your drugs with me because I would also like to take hard breaks from this reality.

That's some awesome journalism and it's a shame this story doesn't seem to be blowing up the way it should be. Sign of the times, I suppose.

hotcyder

I really want to know if the self proclaimed voice of reason and worldly knowledge TotalBiscuit will comment on the article.

"It was about ethics in games journalism - and the fact they give sub 60fps, twine and flash games and walking simulators 10s instead of call of duty"

Doesn't he still push that "it's actually about ethics in jurnalizm!!" garbage even now? I could be wrong but I could've sworn I saw a recent tweet from him that said something like that.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Doesn't he still push that "it's actually about ethics in jurnalizm!!" garbage even now? I could be wrong but I could've sworn I saw a recent tweet from him that said something like that.

Yes, he does. And when things like this constantly pop up showing the movement for exactly what it is, he always hand waves it away as a few bad apples.

L Thammy

Based on what I've last heard of him, he's going to accuse anyone who didn't suppose Gamergate of actually being in Milo and Bannon's pockets while he and his friends were fighting the good fight.

Wait was his email quoted in the article? I only read some of it. I think people are being up TB because of his influence with pushing GG and then backtracking without taking ownership of his actions.

I only brought it up becuase someone posted his name. It wasnt in the article.

Temascos

Neo Member
I've been reading the Buzzfeed article a fair bit, and when I try to explain to people even what happened with Gamergate or the pretext with how Quinn and Sarkeissian were targeted years beforehand (I rolled my eyes the very next day after Gamergate was offically coined on Know Your Meme and as soon as I saw 'ZOE QUINN IS EVIL' and other hyperbole I knew the entire thing was bullshit) and how it all ties to neo-nazis and I just got confused looks.

I just have trouble explaining it because the entire thing is so baffling. For years gaming was targeted for censorship by people like Jack Thompson but critics who wanted women to be better represented NEVER called for censorship, in fact I would say they were hoping to help move the hobby forward and the viciousness thrown their way has been cruel. Nowadays, if I wanted to run for politics on a platform of censoring games the material is there, clear as day, thanks to the one movement that claims to be against it.

L Thammy

milo, the guy who regularly hangs around with and collaborates with literal self-identified white supremacists

milo, the guy who had a crowd of white supremacists throwing nazi salutes at him while he sang karaoke

milo, the guy who uses nazi references as passwords

might just be using his identity as a gay jew married to a black guy as a shield

If I'm remembering the things he's said about his own sexual orientation and ethnicity, it's less a shield and more a rusty garbage can lid.

erlim

I feel like we are actively being trolled and spun into crazy arguments lacking any logic. They have our number and know how to get under our skin. It's diffcult to organize our thoughts when these alt right threads get hijacked.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Don't fall for burner account junior bait, they just want you to quote them endlessly so it mucks up the entire thread

the derails are effective, but sometime's it's funny to know the poor kid is patting himself on the back for all the replies

probably the only validation the kid gets for his true beliefs

requiem02

Banned
Bruh wrong tab. 4chan is thataway.
Also if you wanna talk shit, use your real account, not an alt.
Oh come on, I'm not suddenly proclaiming Milo to be some beacon of light shining upon the SJW-ridden world. I'm simply saying he's not a white supremacist, to which there is plenty of evidence. He even told a crowd of alt-righters that "white nationalism is not the answer" to their problems/causes. I hate this ridiculous rhetoric of everyone right-leaning being a race hater, just as much as I hate the alt-right's declaration that everyone left-leaning is a violent Berkeley protestor.

This isn't an alt-account either. I use this name on every forum. I'm Phillip from Australia by the way, nice to meet you sir/madam.

Maximo

I feel like we are actively being trolled and spun into crazy arguments lacking any logic. They have our number and know how to get under our skin. It's diffcult to organize our thoughts when these alt right threads get hijacked.

So your voicing your concerns over the thread being hijacked, by hijacking it?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Sometimes I wonder how much of this would have been nipped in the bud if the games industry came out with more of an overt response to this bullshit, instead of hedging their bets because they were worried about hitting their sales targets.

Milo, a person who is not a white supremacist and married to an African American, used Gamergate to advance white supremacist ideals in the media? Give me a break.

Deflections like this is why Milo is the chosen one.

Don't want to risk ruining your liberal street cred? Throw a bone to a Nazi shit-heel who hides behind the collective shields of being LGBT, part-Jewish, and having the nerve to have sex with a black man.

Oh come on, I'm not suddenly proclaiming Milo to be some beacon of light shining upon the SJW-ridden world. I'm simply saying he's not a white supremacist, to which there is plenty of evidence. He even told a crowd of alt-righters that "white nationalism is not the answer" to their problems/causes. I hate this ridiculous rhetoric of everyone right-leaning being a race hater, just as much as I hate the alt-right's declaration that everyone left-leaning is a violent Berkeley protestor.

This isn't an alt-account either. I use this name on every forum. I'm Phillip from Australia by the way, nice to meet you sir/madam.

Read his actual emails. Look at his actual passwords. At least try to engage the arguments others are putting forth on an honest level.

In case you don't want to give Buzzfeed a click, here's a quote:

"In an April 6 email, Allum Bokhari mentioned having had access to an account of Yiannopoulos's with ”a password that began with the word Kristall." Kristallnacht, an infamous 1938 riot against German Jews carried out by the SA — the paramilitary organization that helped Hitler rise to power — is sometimes considered the beginning of the Holocaust. In a June 2016 email to an assistant, Yiannopoulos shared the password to his email, which began ”LongKnives1290." The Night of the Long Knives was the Nazi purge of the leadership of the SA. The purge famously included Ernst Röhm, the SA's gay leader. 1290 is the year King Edward I expelled the Jews from England."

Normal, not Nazi people don't do this.

TheSun

Sometimes I wonder how much of this would have been nipped in the bud if the games industry came out with more of an overt response to this bullshit, instead of hedging their bets because they were worried about hitting their sales targets.

I'd say they'd curb a lot of it's influence if they done shit.

But, joining the rest, this was very apparent. I guess it needed to be said flat out to some folk.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Why is it always the Juniors?

#notalljuniors

because to do so with an account you cherish would be a waste and how else would you be able to recruit?

it's fun to watch them try to spin real emails into being fake news.

i wonder that quite often.

erlim

So your voicing your concerns over the thread being hijacked, by hijacking it?

No I'm just saying we should be careful taking the troll bait.

I just got out of a thread where we were all thrown into a stupor responding to weird gaslighty arguments of semantics of defining passivisity towards the growth of white supremacy.

You have posters that are very obviously not being logical in arguing that Milo isn't a white supremicest. It's ridiculous and it's gonna drive us nuts. He obviously is and we need to be discussing the very uncomfortable reality that white nationalism is seeping into video games and what to do about it, not arguing ferverishly if Milo is racist or not. He definitely is.

Top Bottom