• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo and Bannon used GamerGate to further white supremacist ideals in the media

Beartruck

Huh, I searched. It looks like there's a requiem01 but they haven't posted?

Of course, no guarantee it's the same person.
I was just joking that he was already banned and that hes on a backup account, there actually being a requiem01 is pretty funny.

What fucking kills me is that if those alt-right bastards got their way, Milo would be their next target precisely because of his state as a Jewish gay man. He's just a convenient tool for the alt-right and they'll chew him and spit him out as soon as he isn't useful to them anymore.

Not that that excuses anything he does. He gets no sympathy from me. It's just pathetically sad.

Slayven

What fucking kills me is that if those alt-right bastards got their way, Milo would be their next target precisely because of his state as a Jewish gay man. He's just a convenient tool for the alt-right and they'll chew him and spit him out as soon as he isn't useful to them anymore.

Not that that excuses anything he does. He gets no sympathy for me. It's just pathetically sad.

Yep, the self hate is real

AdamMPSP

Probably should make this like a college seminar class and not listen to anyone who clearly didn't read the assignment.

L Thammy

Deflections like this is why Milo is the chosen one.

Don't want to risk ruining your liberal street cred? Throw a bone to a Nazi shit-heel who hides behind the collective shields of being LGBT, part-Jewish, and having the nerve to have sex with a black man.

Yep. From Wikiquote (because I'm not going to link fucking Brietbart):

In the course of my Dangerous Faggot tour, I’ve had my fair share of bans… but here’s one I didn’t see coming. I’ve been banned from San Francisco! Me, the gayest person on the planet. Banned. From San Francisco, the queerest city in America. Apparently I’m just too dangerous of a faggot, even for a city that pumps AZT directly into the water

Muslims are allowed to get away with almost anything. They can shut down and intimidate prominent ex-Muslims. They’re allowed to engage in the most brazen anti-semitism, even as they run for office in European left-wing political parties. And, of course, politicians and the media routinely turn a blind eye to the kind of sexism and homophobia that would instantly end the career of a non-Muslim conservative — and perhaps get the latter arrested for hate speech when he dared to object.

One-hundred percent of British Muslims, polled by Gallup... believe that homosexuality is an unacceptable lifestyle choice... and fifty-two percent of those Muslims believe that homosexuality, or homosexual sex rather should be made illegal; that I should go to prison, for my love life.

His whole gimmick is hiding behind his minority status while spreading hate, even hatred of the same groups he belongs to.

Rayis

As stated before, not shocking for those who have been actively paying attention, the scourges of society have an insidious plan to further their racist agenda and it just so happens that a lot of gamers are receptive to that rubbish.

kirblar

I've been reading the Buzzfeed article a fair bit, and when I try to explain to people even what happened with Gamergate or the pretext with how Quinn and Sarkeissian were targeted years beforehand (I rolled my eyes the very next day after Gamergate was offically coined on Know Your Meme and as soon as I saw 'ZOE QUINN IS EVIL' and other hyperbole I knew the entire thing was bullshit) and how it all ties to neo-nazis and I just got confused looks.

I just have trouble explaining it because the entire thing is so baffling. For years gaming was targeted for censorship by people like Jack Thompson but critics who wanted women to be better represented NEVER called for censorship, in fact I would say they were hoping to help move the hobby forward and the viciousness thrown their way has been cruel. Nowadays, if I wanted to run for politics on a platform of censoring games the material is there, clear as day, thanks to the one movement that claims to be against it.
This article is a very, very good tool to use to help w/ explaining this.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Such bullshit in this post. So much. Article in OT laid out the truth in detail. You just have your head in the sand.

the poster has his head in something, but it's not sand.

people need to stop giving it the time and place in this thread.

coming off the OP, now we know what we've all suspected. what do we do with this information?

Iksenpets

Banned
It's really, really sad that future history books on this era are going to have to have a fucking note about Gamergate as a significant predecessor movement to the one that elected a president two years later.

coming off the OP, now we know what we've all suspected. what do we do with this information?

Squash the gamergate movement like we would squash a cockroach??

Eylos

Banned
I dont know Milos, so i Will not give my opinion about him. But about the argument of to be Married/have kids with etc. With a Black person does not mean you are not racist.

As there's homophobic gay people etc.

I dont know Milos, so i Will not give my opinion about him. But about the argument of to be Married/have kids with etc. With a Black person does not mean you are not racist.

As there's homophobic gay people etc.

Funny enough Milo is also a homophobic gay person.

JtXuwnP.png

Requiem

If it looks like a duck, behaves like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck, even if it says it's pretending and is really a goose.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

The article shines a broad light on people who would say in public they were against it but at the same time were collaborating with Milo to help him empower Gamer Gate.

The deafening silence of the game industry during the debacle was incredible. A debacle that is now proven to be rooted in Nazism and white supremacy.

How many people high up in the industry are sympathizers/enablers is the next question that needs to be answered.

Feel free to place blame for this at the feet of industry entities such as Oculus as well.

xgyxdenW-300x300.jpg

"I wanted to give Palmer Freeman Luckey a chance to respond before I said anything, and have read his post, I take him at his word," Rubin wrote in a Facebook post on Friday. "Those of you who have known me before I joined Oculus know that I would not work in a place that I thought condoned, or spread hate. Nor would I remain silent if I saw it raise its head.

Jason Rubin knew he had roaches in his house and failed to take action.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Squash the gamergate movement like we would squash a cockroach??

so say we do that, a lot of people still in GG aren't really in GG. it's splintered and fractured into many "causes" now, some of which with actual power and influence. GG by all accounts is a withering vine in the road to white nationalism and small cells of across the country and world continuing with the same tactics they used two years ago to recruit, but with a new goal in mind.

what do we do to prevent them from their continuing efforts to recruit and spread disinformation, propaganda and violence while also offering another path for the disenfranchised.

Feorax

This is why the likes of Boogie2988 can get fucked.

Too many people on the fringes of gamergate were willing to allow hate and bile to spread, all because they wanted to appear impartial whilst protecting nerd culture and "muh vidyagaems". Now look where we are.

lmao give me a fuuuuucking break.

I honestly don't know about this one. Have you seen those glasses he wears? They were getting thicker and thicker along his college tour. I have the suspicion he's going blind and I remember someone making similar claims on Joe Rogan's podcast.

Swiggins

This is why the likes of Boogie2988 can get fucked.

Too many people on the fringes of gamergate were willing to allow hate and bile to spread, all because they wanted to appear impartial whilst orotecting nerd culture and "muh vidyagaems". Now look where we are.

I'm ashamed to admit, I was one of those people at one time. Seeing Gamergate evolve into the alt-right of today just makes me fucking sick to my stomach.

L Thammy

Maybe Milo isn't really a white supremacist.

Maybe he's just someone who has no morals whatsoever - and I mean that without the slightest exaggeration - who decided to team up with white supremacists to further his career.

Maybe he's someone who cares so little for other human beings - not just people unlike him, not just people he doesn't know, but literally everyone who isn't him - that he's willing to throw homosexuals and Jewish people under the bus to further his career, teaming up with people that he knows hate people like him, that he knows hate him specifically, because he also knows that he can further his career by being a useful idiot for them. As long as he's kept safe by his usefulness he doesn't care.

If that's the case, saying he isn't a white supremacist is such a valueless statement. It's a pointless splitting of hairs. Maybe he's not, but he's so totally apathetic to others that he's racist to the absolute, he's homophobic to the absolute. He has absolutely no concern for the suffering of these minorities or of any other vulnerable group and is willing to exploit that suffering to his own benefit. The only person left that he cares about is himself: and, funny enough, that means that the only person in that pool is white person.

BTA

Milo's fucking abominable and an obvious person to point to, but it's thinking about people like Mike Cernovich that really gets me angry.

Fucker's a conspiracy theorist with nothing special going for him. Yet thanks to GG eating up his bullshit he rose to be a big name white surpremcist and now his conspiracy theory pushing impacts actual politics.

I don't think any of GG was new and we'd have had something similar about someone else at some point, but I can't help but think that if this shit had been stomped down harder by companies back then - if GGers had actually been driven the fuck out of the industry - maybe we'd at least have less of this conspiracy theory harassment bullshit harming peoples' lives.

Maximo

I'm ashamed to admit, I was one of those people at one time. Seeing Gamergate evolve into the alt-right of today just makes me fucking sick to my stomach.

Its understandable why so many got caught up in it, especially when alot of YouTubers were leading the charge.

I honestly think both the left and right are in the wrong and can be as harmful as each other. I really didn't want to post this because I understand gaf is very left wing but the problem with that is it can dilute real issues. Milo probably isn't racist... I mean he obviously dislikes immigration and possibly other things that can be disagreed with, but at the same time he is married to a black man. I don't see any reason to do that unless you believe that person is your equal.

There are so many threads and posts on gaf where certain liberal theories are discussed, for example the recent thread regarding gay sex in the witcher 3 where any answer not agreeing with the liberal view, even if it is by a gay person, is shot down and derided whether right or wrong.

A lot of posts are the same in this thread and i don't see how this benefits anything. Surely an open discussion is needed to find the best stances from both sides and I don't feel this happens here.

I don't know. I know I'm a junior so my post will probably be countered with 'lol y always juniors' but surely we can all participate in an actual debate with pros and cons from both sides instead of this hate that seems all to prevalent, again from both sides.

I always enter these threads hoping to learn and talk but normally leave when it's clear you can't post without following the consensus to the letter.

Sorry if this seems a bit random but I finally feel like I should speak up. I have similar feelings about loot box and Xbox threads but I guess that is for another time.

I honestly think both the left and right are in the wrong and can be as harmful as each other. I really didn't want to post this because I understand gaf is very left wing but the problem with that is it can dilute real issues. Milo probably isn't racist... I mean he obviously dislikes immigration and possibly other things that can be disagreed with, but at the same time he is married to a black man. I don't see any reason to do that unless you believe that person is your equal.

There are so many threads and posts on gaf where certain liberal theories are discussed, for example the recent thread regarding gay sex in the witcher 3 where any answer not agreeing with the liberal view, even if it is by a gay person, is shot down and derided whether right or wrong.

A lot of posts are the same in this thread and i don't see how this benefits anything. Surely an open discussion is needed to find the best stances from both sides and I don't feel this happens here.

I don't know. I know I'm a junior so my post will probably be countered with 'lol y always juniors' but surely we can all participate in an actual debate with pros and cons from both sides instead of this hate that seems all to prevalent, again from both sides.

I always enter these threads hoping to learn and talk but normally leave when it's clear you can't post without following the consensus to the letter.

Sorry if this seems a bit random but I finally feel like I should speak up. I have similar feelings about loot box and Xbox threads but I guess that is for another time.

Sweet. Some both sides action.
Get fucked bro

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Did you read the article? There are more than four concrete examples of him being a white supremacist. We aren't just discussing potential theories here. The article is fact, and even Milo himself said the article is factual.

Read the article then come back.

Lifeline

GamerGate had some seriously messed up consequences. If you look at something like reddit before and after Gamergate, there's a massive difference. Reddit used to be a pretty left wing website, but the Gamergate movement which got really popular on Reddit ended up being a gateway drug to the alt-right.

L Thammy

Let me focus on your first sentence.

What harm does the left threaten to cause? In the Witcher 3 thread you mentioned, no one was getting banned. Their positions were getting criticized, maybe with some hostility, but that's the limit of it.

What harm does the right threaten to cause? Look no further than Charlottesville. These are people who proudly state a desire to kill and displace others who aren't similar enough to them - and it isn't even a matter of what they say, think, or do.

Think about whether or not these two are really equal. I won't claim that the left is perfect - I think people in these kinds of discussions are often fed up with hearing bullshit and so are overly hostile to people who might genuinely want to learn - but I don't think it can be reasonably claimed that the two are similar in their harm. The pain one causes is skin deep, the pain the other causes is six feet deep.

This is why it bothers me when people want to bring up sexism and racism in the video game industry, others try to hand wave it as "there's assholes everywhere, it's not specific to video games". I mean, yea, that's technically true but we have to answer for a large portion of video game enthusiasts have managed to perpetuate such a hate movement.

Foffy

Banned

All these words and next to nothing said?

I see a small bit of bothsidesism, which of course has little to do with the guy using passwords referencing purges and singing to no objection to Sieg Heil gestures.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Milo, a person who is not a white supremacist and married to an African American, used Gamergate to advance white supremacist ideals in the media? Give me a break.
Oh my mistake guys, Buzzfeed says Milo is a white supremacist so I guess it's true! Can someone please pass this information on to his black husband?

Please just save us all the trouble and just say you didn't read the article and either don't know shit about Milo or are being willfully ignorant. Dude wore a nazi symbol ffs.

"Imma come into this here social issues thread and totally not read the article and not end up as the evidence backing up the 'SJWs' argument!!!!!11"

So anywho, yeah, we need this to hit the BIG TIME. Shining a light on these roaches not only makes them scatter, it makes it impossible to work their dark business with no shadows to strike from.

Hopefully they all go the way of Milo and that Kessler fucker and no one will come to their defense; they only provide targets of hatred, noone following them actually gives a shit whether they live or die.

Sometimes I wonder how much of this would have been nipped in the bud if the games industry came out with more of an overt response to this bullshit, instead of hedging their bets because they were worried about hitting their sales targets.

It's clear that the methodology was being tested here, so it may have only delayed it.

Remember, Mercer is ALL about that methodology and behavior algorithms and refining it for fullfiling his desires.

That first sentence made not only your entire post, but also your future opinions on this topic completely worthless. Get out of here with this.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes I wonder how much of this would have been nipped in the bud if the games industry came out with more of an overt response to this bullshit, instead of hedging their bets because they were worried about hitting their sales targets.
Indeed. Everyone looked the other way while this shit happened. Well, here are the results, this is the community we created. Ignoring the problems never works.

Fat4all

Banned

there's no pros to GG in any way, shape, or form

period

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm calling it right now-

Over the next few months, Milo apologists' will be flooding threads about his racism with "he is legally blind! He couldn't see that he was surrounded by Nazis!".

BTA

Maybe Milo isn't really a white supremacist.

Maybe he's just someone who has no morals whatsoever - and I mean that without the slightest exaggeration - who decided to team up with white supremacists to further his career.

Maybe he's someone who cares so little for other human beings - not just people unlike him, not just people he doesn't know, but literally everyone who isn't him - that he's willing to throw homosexuals and Jewish people under the bus to further his career, teaming up with people that he knows hate people like him, that he knows hate him specifically, because he also knows that he can further his career by being a useful idiot for them. As long as he's kept safe by his usefulness he doesn't care.

If that's the case, saying he isn't a white supremacist is such a valueless statement. It's a pointless splitting of hairs. Maybe he's not, but he's so totally apathetic to others that he's racist to the absolute, he's homophobic to the absolute. He has absolutely no concern for the suffering of these minorities or of any other vulnerable group and is willing to exploit that suffering to his own benefit. The only person left that he cares about is himself: and, funny enough, that means that the only person in that pool is white person.

Yup.

"He's not a white supremacist, he just acts like one!" is so pointless. Like, yeah, sure, he's willing to do anything for attention, that's abundantly clear. Does that matter? That's almost fucking worse than doing those things because he actually believes it. I don't want to paint sticking to a fucked up dangerous belief as honorable or anything but it does not make me as actively angry as making many people's lives worse for the sake of a little attention alone.

"Both sides are just as bad" is complete and utter wankery bollocks and the more it's said the more bitter I become towards the right and the people who peddle that absolute nonsense.

The fact that "No more Nazis" is a controversial statement sums it all up.

Fuck Nazis, fuck their defenders, fuck the "both siders".

You're either with the Nazis or against them. Take a fucking side.

Did you read the article? There are more than four concrete examples of him being a white supremacist. We aren't just discussing potential theories here. The article is fact, and even Milo himself said the article is factual.

Read the article then come back.

I read it... he may be a white supremacist but.... there were a lot of missing links to some of the claims they made, (by this I mean hyperlinks to sources) so I'm just meant to agree?. He probably is for all I know. I don't even really know who the guy is. I don't think it helps to shout white supremacist without absolute proof.

Also anybody using that Milo married a black man as a defense should be autobanned. That's literally GG's current tactics. Spam all Milo criticism with comment after comment about who he married. Use that as a shield.

Top Bottom