• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MindSeize | A Metroidvania game I'm working on. Out February 4th on Steam

Fuz

Banned
Tried it briefly at a friend's place. Not much, we just played a few screens before going out. I find very weird - and very unpractical - that there's a button for diagonal shooting, I'd rather just "walk diagonally" and shoot. A "stand in place and shoot" button in stead of it would have been nice. Controls are good and responsive, but kind of cumbersome at the same time - there are too many buttons and combinations.

Absolutely love the graphics and animations. The game seems really solid overall, definitely gonna pick it up once it's on GOG.

Last edited:

fatty

Congrats Temathael, that is quite an accomplishment getting your game not only finished but published on Steam (and soon Switch). Good luck, hope things work out great for you, I might have to pick it up on th Switch. Would be cool reading some of the challenges that you encountered while making the game.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Temathael Temathael
anynews on physical switch release???
Posted by Kamina Dimension
May 19, 2020

Hi everyone! Time for an update:)
First of all, hopefully all of you are okay! The times are not the easiest right now, but everyone in our team is healthy at least. The work has slowed down, but we are of course still working on MindSeize. Here's what's new:
Steam version updated with the last bits of planned content:
We just released the last promised feature to the Steam version, the Boss Mode. The game has evolved a lot since the original release and can now be considered "ready and final", though we will continue to support it with bug fixes in the future. Here's full patch notes for the new update: Steam
Nintendo Switch version?
With the PC version development now mostly done, we can put our full attention to the Nintendo Switch port. The porting job was already started some time ago, but has been pretty slow like the rest of the development.
First Press Games will publish the Nintendo Switch version of MindSeize worldwide, aiming for an eShop release in September 2020. The physical version will come some time after that and will still take some time. It's of course quite a bit later than originally planned, but you can bet we are working on it as hard as we can. There will be more info to share in the coming months!
Big thank you to all of you, thanks for understanding.
Stay safe! -Kamina Dimension Crew​

Last edited:

Temathael

Hi!

I've been pretty much away from here since the release, which didn't go like planned at all and took my mood down quite a bit. Work has constantly continued, however, and we did manage to fix the plethora of bugs and issues the game was riddled with in the release. It was not ideal launch, but we were pretty much forced to do it financially.

Reading the responses here, some of you have played and liked MindSeize, even if it was far from perfect in the release. Makes me very happy :)

After a couple of months of work, the game''s finally in the shape I had hoped for it to be in the release. Probably partially because of the nightmarish first release week, the sales haven't exactly been great on Steam, but the work continues on the Switch version now that we have the PC version in satisfying shape. The Switch version is currently planned for September, like the Kickstarter update that Kamina Kamina shared with you a couple of weeks ago states. The porting job is in very good shape, now I'm just fighting to get the frame rate of a couple of problematic areas in control.

Some of you were asking for GOG, but as they refuse to answer to us, it's probably not going to happen for now at least. There's itch.io version available, however.

And yea, Steam Summer Sales just started, which means MindSeize is available for half the price. Hoping for the sales to pick up, so the road to the Switch release would be bit easier for us.

To summarize: release didn't go too smooth, but we didn't give up and the game's in good shape now. Work with the Switch port is soon ready. The physical release will happen sometime after.

Peace^^

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Hi!

I've been pretty much away from here since the release, which didn't go like planned at all and took my mood down quite a bit. Work has constantly continued, however, and we did manage to fix the plethora of bugs and issues the game was riddled with in the release. It was not ideal launch, but we were pretty much forced to do it financially.

Reading the responses here, some of you have played and liked MindSeize, even if it was far from perfect in the release. Makes me very happy :)

After a couple of months of work, the game''s finally in the shape I had hoped for it to be in the release. Probably partially because of the nightmarish first release week, the sales haven't exactly been great on Steam, but the work continues on the Switch version now that we have the PC version in satisfying shape. The Switch version is currently planned for September, like the Kickstarter update that Kamina Kamina shared with out a couple of weeks ago states. The porting job is in very good shape, now I'm just fighting to get the frame rate of a couple of problematic areas in control.

Some of you were asking for GOG, but as they refuse to answer to us, it's probably not going to happen for now at least. There's itch.io version available, however.

And yea, Steam Summer Sales just started, which means MindSeize is available for half the price. Hoping for the sales to pick up, so the road to the Switch release would be bit easier for us.

To summarize: release didn't go too smooth, but we didn't give up and the game's in good shape now. Work with the Switch port is soon ready. The physical release will happen sometime after.

Peace^^
Good to know! Hope to see this game on a PS4/PS5 soon!

Saber

Gold Member
Hi!

After a couple of months of work, the game''s finally in the shape I had hoped for it to be in the release. Probably partially because of the nightmarish first release week, the sales haven't exactly been great on Steam, but the work continues on the Switch version now that we have the PC version in satisfying shape. The Switch version is currently planned for September, like the Kickstarter update that Kamina Kamina shared with out a couple of weeks ago states. The porting job is in very good shape, now I'm just fighting to get the frame rate of a couple of problematic areas in control.

Peace^^

Happy for you dude. Hope all ends well, sucess with your game.

Fuz

Banned
Sorry to hear the game didn't go well, for the little I have seen it's quite good. And the pixel art is phenomenal.

Some of you were asking for GOG, but as they refuse to answer to us
Any way we can help with that? Maybe we can request it somehow?

Temathael

Thanks! There's still hope for the Switch release to be more successful, though.

Any way we can help with that? Maybe we can request it somehow?
Not sure how much there is to do about this, didn't find any way to directly request a game on the web page, at least. They are just very picky about what they are accepting to the store and outright state, that they might not answer to everyone due to large number of applications. In any case, we tried applying again now that the game is majorly updated from a couple of months ago. Let's see if we're lucky this time.

• Love
Reactions: Fuz

Kamina

Golden Boy
Hope you all are well and healthy

Is there any update on the Switch Version? Is it coming along?

Last edited:

Temathael

Hope you all are well and healthy

Is there any update on the Switch Version? Is it coming along?
Oh, haven't been here for a while so I missed this. By now you probably saw the newest Kickstarter update and the mail we sent!

We'll have an announcement for the final release date very soon! The Switch port turned out very well:)

Kamina

Golden Boy
Oh, haven't been here for a while so I missed this. By now you probably saw the newest Kickstarter update and the mail we sent!

We'll have an announcement for the final release date very soon! The Switch port turned out very well:)
Yeah I saw, thanks. I sent you guys a mail for an European Switch Key.

Temathael

We've ordered the Kickstarter reward keys from Nintendo at the beginning of this week, so all of you who are backers will get them as soon as they arrive to us. Everything seems to take some time, but they should definitely be ready to send before the release date.

Oh and the physical version released by First Press Games is still in plans, but we will share more about it once there is something to tell.

Let's first get the game out on eShop^^

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Tried it briefly at a friend's place. Not much, we just played a few screens before going out. I find very weird - and very unpractical - that there's a button for diagonal shooting, I'd rather just "walk diagonally" and shoot. A "stand in place and shoot" button in stead of it would have been nice. Controls are good and responsive, but kind of cumbersome at the same time - there are too many buttons and combinations.

Absolutely love the graphics and animations. The game seems really solid overall, definitely gonna pick it up once it's on GOG.

You never played Metroid? This looks like fun, might try it out.

Temathael

You never played Metroid? This looks like fun, might try it out.
Yea, the shoulder button for shooting diagonally was directly inspired by how Metroid does things, as are actually many things in the control scheme. Our way of having you hold a trigger button to do various specials is a bit different and might take some time to getting used to, but once the player can handle that, it also allows for a fast control over any of the special abilities.

Oh and yea, we did change the control scheme a bit since the original Steam release and added the possibility of just holding the dpad or stick diagonally while shooting to shoot diagonally (obviously only when moving, stationary you still need to hold the button).

Portugeezer

Yea, the shoulder button for shooting diagonally was directly inspired by how Metroid does things, as are actually many things in the control scheme. Our way of having you hold a trigger button to do various specials is a bit different and might take some time to getting used to, but once the player can handle that, it also allows for a fast control over any of the special abilities.

Oh and yea, we did change the control scheme a bit since the original Steam release and added the possibility of just holding the dpad or stick diagonally while shooting to shoot diagonally (obviously only when moving, stationary you still need to hold the button).
That's for the better.

Temathael

I missed this, glad this came back up top because this is the kind of game I live for..
I hope as many players as possible would give the game a chance. I admit the original Steam release was very rough. We had to release with very limited QA time and the end result was sadly buggy and a couple of features did not make it in.

The game's improved a lot with patches throughout the summer and especially with the extra development time we had for the Switch version. Now I can finally be a bit proud of what we've managed to do with our small team :D

BlackTron

I initially rolled my eyes a bit because Metroidvania's seem a dime a dozen these days, but when I actually took a look, this game seems to have two aspects I usually find lacking. Good sprite work, and tight control.

I might actually pick this up, good job making me actually notice a title in this genre.

Top Bottom