Minecraft 1.8 "Adventure Update" pre-release version available.

#1
Mojang are now hosting the pre-release version of 1.8 Adventure Update for Minecraft, it runs (EDIT - not perfectly). Rather than spoil any of its surprises, I'll just host a screenshot I made.



Initial impressions are that the biomes are VAST, there are lakes, and as you can see, a huge deep ravine cutting through the landscape.

In this version of the game there are far more significant things like
villages, dungeons, abandoned mines, new mobs, new drops, hunger, part of the experience system, new blocks and surprises.

Some people are saying that this version is a "leak", but Notch seems to be joking about this on Twitter. He notes that the supposed leaked version is hosted by Mojang. He gives everyone his blessing to download it:

Ooh, looks like 1.8 has leaked, not that I'd ever admit that. ;) Be careful when installing software you don't trust though. 59 minutes ago

If you do use it, remember to report bugs, and to feel slightly bad. ;) 59 minutes ago

(I am fine with you using it. Make sure you get it from the leaked url we are hosting, though) 56 minutes ago


I though this was thread worthy as a lot of people have been waiting for this. Instructions on how to play:

(1) Downloading the Client from the URL given here.

(2) Go to the start menu and type "%appdata%". Go into the ".minecraft" folder, go into the "bin" folder and replace the "minecraft.jar" file with the one you just downloaded.

(3) (optional) Go back into the ".minecraft" folder and back up your saves. With prerelease software this just makes sense.

You need a Minecraft account to play, if this wasn't obvious. Have fun.
 
#2
Can't wait! I've been out of Minecraft for almost a year and it's going to feel like relearning a whole new game. So excited to get home and play!
 
#7
Click on "Advanced OpenGL", menu text disappears, screen goes black a few seconds later, never comes back up.

Correction: That happens even when I click on other video settings that have worked in the past. Oh well.
 
#8
Hnnnnggg, aw man.. I want to go exploring so bad. Stuck at work till late tonight though :(.

Anyone seen a Enderman yet? is it as creepy as it is made up to be?
 
#9
epmode said:
Click on "Advanced OpenGL", menu text disappears, screen goes black a few seconds later, never comes back up.

Correction: That happens even when I click on other video settings that have worked in the past. Oh well.
I'm assuming this isn't the official 1.8 release, so HOPEFULLY people report bugs like this so they can get fixed. I guess this is like a beta test of the beta update. :p (I'm assuming you have latest drivers etc. etc.)
 
#12
Blizzard said:
I'm assuming this isn't the official 1.8 release, so HOPEFULLY people report bugs like this so they can get fixed. I guess this is like a beta test of the beta update. :p (I'm assuming you have latest drivers etc. etc.)
Yeah, drivers are up-to-date. I tried wiping the entire .minecraft folder so everything will redownload but now I can't even log into the client. BUY MOAR SERVARS NOTCH
 
#19
Little log in trouble, usually works after my second retry

epmode said:
Click on "Advanced OpenGL", menu text disappears, screen goes black a few seconds later, never comes back up.

Correction: That happens even when I click on other video settings that have worked in the past. Oh well.
Same, accidently hit it while toggling through the gui scale options
 
#27
Ranger X said:
well, that's awesome I suppose but I will update on monday when the real update comes.
I wait till all the 1.8.x patches are done...
I hate playing MC right after a major patch, something is always broken badly.

EDIT what does F6 do?
 
#29
The first map I created had me on a very tiny island with ocean stretching as far as I could see in every direction.

Also, there was a bit of a glitch on another world that allowed me to see underground. Every cavern I saw was a big maze of tunnels and caves.
 
#32
God, I am getting some awesome landscapes here.

..does anyone know if it's possible to integrate Minecraft with the Steam overlay? I can add the exe that I downloaded from the main site but the overlay does not appear to work. I suppose the fact that it's a Java program means I'm out of luck?
 
#33
epmode said:
God, I am getting some awesome landscapes here.

..does anyone know if it's possible to integrate Minecraft with the Steam overlay? I can add the exe that I downloaded from the main site but the overlay does not appear to work. I suppose the fact that it's a Java program means I'm out of luck?
No it works for me.

The lighting is VERY impressive, imo. It looks great. I just found an
abandoned mine
and wow, so cool. F6 and F7 are also pretty helpful!
 
#35
It does not run perfectly like claimed but better than I expected. It looks great thus far! This is what 1.7 really should have been. Feels a lot more polished game than before, hope 1.9 doesn't take too long.
 

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
#36
Piercedveil said:
No it works for me.

The lighting is VERY impressive, imo. It looks great. I just found an
abandoned mine
and wow, so cool. F6 and F7 are also pretty helpful!

Can someone please post what F6 and F7 do
 

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
#37
The entire IT LEAKED, WE LEAKED IT, WERE NOT MAD IT LEAKED, IT'S OKAY PLAY IT WE LEAKED IT impression I got from this is either some sort of humor I don't understand or Kotaku has confuzzled me.
 
#41
Rebel Leader said:
Can someone please post what F6 and F7 do
Speeds up days/nights. 99% sure it's something Notch added just so he could show the new lightning effects during Pax, and will be removed in the proper release.
 
#44
Seronei said:
Speeds up days/nights. 99% sure it's something Notch added just so he could show the new lightning effects during Pax, and will be removed in the proper release.
When I played months ago I had a mod that did the same thing, yeah I took the easy way out.
 
#49
epmode said:
I just found out that the Steam overlay doesn't like the 64 bit version of Java. Gotta reinstall I guess.
Using 64 bit Java here, and it works for me.

Create a shortcut for minecraft.exe, then have Steam point to the shortcut (instead of the exe) when you add it via Games -> Add a non-Steam game to my library.