• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft "Better Together" (PC/X1/Switch/Mobile): Crossplay, Dedicated Servers+More

Trup1aya

Sony is the leader this gen so they don't gain much from cross play.

Your friends have Minecraft on ps4? Guess you need it on ps4 as well.

Remember, Microsoft gains from Minecraft regardless of platform. Sony only gains from minecraft on ps4 and marginally so.

The flip side of that is - if your friends aren't on ps4, you have to support a different platform in order to join them... which costs Sony a sale.

Sony doesnt lose anything by playing ball here.

Dunkley

I wonder on a technical level, are they literally just swapping the One and Switch versions to the Win10/Mobile codebase? So sort of a soft re-release of the game?

It's definitely a massive upgrade given it means console versions will be able to handle infinite worlds, perhaps just on a client base but it still means structurally there will be changes given it will be tasked with streaming in chunks to extents it hasn't done before.

I mean, besides the fact that the network infrastructure is getting overhauled to support dedicated servers and cross platform multiplayer.

Phamit

Nintendo never seemed to have a problem with cross play, at least I don't remember

Funny enough Nintendo doesn't talk about it a lot.

Cerium

I wonder on a technical level, are they literally just swapping the One and Switch versions to the Win10/Mobile codebase? So sort of a soft re-release of the game?

This wording makes it sound like that's exactly what's happening:

If you own Minecraft: Xbox One Edition or Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition, you’ll receive the brand new version of Minecraft for free, and your existing worlds and DLC will come along to the new version with you.

And yeah this certainly explains the delay on Minecraft Switch physical.

Ridley327

Nintendo seemed to have a problem with cross play, at least I don't remember

Funny enough Nintendo doesn't talk about it a lot.

Not having any games that take advantage of cross-play on your systems makes it hard to talk about.

But they've been OK with it for a while now, given that Japan has seen a couple of MMOs released on it. Even now, Squenix is offering an upgrade program for Wii players of DQX to migrate to the Switch version once they kill support for Wii.

antonz

Its interesting because Minecraft is such a huge global title it really does stand out Sony not coming aboard for cross platform. Minecraft was a huge success on Vita in Japan.

I feel like whenever they are the dominant market leader they get kinda cocky or greedy...

Sure it sounds dumb but it makes sense.
They simply don't care and get easy money anyway.
it's such a shame that they have to bleed to stop thinking that way.

Nintenleo

Wait, so Switch basically gets the PC version of the game? Can I play that version on the go?

Holy shit. Amazing Microsoft.

Elixist

Sony took the ball and went home, sad. its funny how the most popular version of the game is excluded though (java)

So, to clarify, Sony was open to cross play last gen, but MS didn't want it.

Now the reverse this gen.

MS and Sony seem to be direct competition to each other, and when they lead the market, they don't want to benefit the competition by supporting them...

I feel like Sony would do cross play with Nintendo. If they don't, then it will be clear that Sony just doesn't want to share its userbase

So, to clarify, Sony was open to cross play last gen, but MS didn't want it.

Now the reverse this gen.

MS and Sony seem to be direct competition to each other, and when they lead the market, they don't want to benefit the competition by supporting them...

I feel like Sony would do cross play with Nintendo. If they don't, then it will be clear that Sony just doesn't want to share its userbase
fuck them for that poor ass decision making!

antonz

Wait, so Switch basically gets the PC version of the game? Can I play that version on the go?

Holy shit. Amazing Microsoft.

Its really a huge deal and they are making DLC Universal. So if you buy it on your Switch you have access to the DLC on any other version as well though I imagine things like Mario pack will be restricted

Top Bottom