• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft "Better Together" (PC/X1/Switch/Mobile): Crossplay, Dedicated Servers+More

zMiiChy-

Banned
That's actually really nice for Microsoft and Nintendo.

It's disgraceful that Sony won't join in.

They don't even have cross-play among their own platforms.

Cerium

So is Switch getting that super duper graphics pack since it'll be all the same version?

No unfortunately, probably due to hardware restrictions.

We'll also be releasing new DLC, the Super Duper Graphics Pack. On top of the free 4K update, the Super Duper Graphics Pack introduces features like dynamic shadows, lighting that streams through fog, movement in leaves and grass, new textures for mobs and villagers, directional lighting, edge highlighting and more! This Pack will be available on Xbox One and Windows 10, performing best on high-end PCs and the Xbox One X (formerly known as Project Scorpio).

Megatron

Sony has allowed cross platform play the longest. Seeing as Minecraft isn't PC/PS4 at least shows you it's a Microsoft thing.

So you think it's reasonable for Microsoft to set up cross platform play for pc, switch, 360, xb1 and mobile users to play together and then put together a sandbox for just pc and PS4? What? Why would Microsoft build them their own exclusive club just for PS4 owners. They can play with everyone or not at all. This is 100% on Sony.

So that means consoles will have the same features as minecraft on pc and will recieve updates at the same time? Can I play minecraft on console and continue on pc and vice versa?

So that means consoles will have the same features as minecraft on pc and will recieve updates at the same time? Can I play minecraft on console and continue on pc and vice versa?
Basically...Unless you have the PS4 version then no.
The fact your getting pc Minecraft on the go is going to rock(and don't mention phones and tablets those controls are bad).

Biske

This was strangely one of the only exciting things about the conference.

I havent played minecraft for yeras, but its really neat that they worked something like this out.

BibiMaghoo

Do we have confirmation of no Sony? The reveal in the conference specifically mentioned consoles being unified. Perhaps they just don't want to talk about Sony?

Cerium

Do we have confirmation of no Sony? The reveal in the conference specifically mentioned consoles being unified. Perhaps they just don't want to talk about Sony?

Read the OP and travel to the Mojang site if you'd like. They list the involved platforms quite clearly.

Lothars

So you think it's reasonable for Microsoft to set up cross platform play for pc, switch, 360, xb1 and mobile users to play together and then put together a sandbox for just pc and PS4? What? Why would Microsoft build them their own exclusive club just for PS4 owners. They can play with everyone or not at all. This is 100% on Sony.
It's possible it's Sony fault but historically it hadn't been. So Microsoft doesn't deserts benefit of the doubt for this.

It's cool they are going it with the Switch and I'd love to see them have the PS4 included on that but it makes me smh that with no proof some here blame sony. So whatever the issue is hopefully it will be worked out.

13ruce

Banned
Microsoft was open for cross play with Sony correct? Sony themselves were against it for some reason last i heard.

Or i am imaganing things up but i remember MS being open for cross play with all consoles.

That's actually really nice for Microsoft and Nintendo.

It's disgraceful that Sony won't join in.

They don't even have cross-play among their own platforms.

Do you reallllllllly think that's the case? That Sony the disgraceful won't join?

Let's talk when more games are "Better together".

Microsoft was open for cross play with Sony correct? Sony themselves were against it for some reason last i heard.

Or i am imagimg things up but i remember MS being open for cross play with all consoles.

Sony was down for it during PS3 era and Microsoft wasn't. Sony has been pushing for it for a while and MS didn't care, so Sony focused on their own platform and PC. Now that Microsoft is down in the leaderboard, they're down and Sony don't need them. Simple and straightforward. Let's talk when more games are crossplatform play.

antonz

Or i am imaganing things up but i remember MS being open for cross play with all consoles.

We know from Rocket Leagues developer that so far Sony refuses to playball even though Rocket League has everything in place for cross platform play.

Nanashrew

Banned

Or i am imagimg things up but i remember MS being open for cross play with all consoles.

Yeah. I think it was around when the Rocket League devs were campaigning hard for crossplay.

Minecraft is like the biggest game in existence right now and Sony couldn't even open up for that.

It's possible it's Sony fault but historically it hadn't been. So Microsoft doesn't deserts benefit of the doubt for this.

It's cool they are going it with the Switch and I'd love to see them have the PS4 included on that but it makes me smh that with no proof some here blame sony. So whatever the issue is hopefully it will be worked out.

Nah, since the current gen, Sony had been the stumbling block on more than a few cross play attempts.

I'm just pleased Nintendo are cool with crossplatform play. Shame Sony don't seem to be on board, Minecraft is one of the biggest games currently on the market and it would have been very special to have all systems join together. At least most will.

Rocket League comes out
Devs say that its on Sony
"Let's wait"
Minecraft gets cross-play
"Let's wait"

So... two games? Let's forget the entire previous generation then when Sony was pushing for it. Short term memories.

I don't blame them. MS can play their mind games. Funny how losing brings up the competition and makes you rethink things.

Minecraft is an anomaly because it exists on all consoles, and MS owns it now. Let's talk when more games are crossplatform play.

antonz

I'm just pleased Nintendo are cool with crossplatform play. Shame Sony don't seem to be on board, Minecraft is one of the biggest games currently on the market and it would have been very special to have all systems join together. At least most will.

It is really mind-blowing when you think in Japan alone Vita sold over a million copies of Minecraft. if anything stuff like this could cause people to shelve their Vita minecraft and make the jump to another platform

So... two games? Let's forget the entire previous generation then when Sony was pushing for it. Short term memories.
Come on Shao Kahn lets not do this. Yeah its two games. Two more than before.

We're not on the past anymore. It's the now. Even if Sony was pushing for it before they should still push it now.

Maybe it's not Sony's fault but I highly doubt that Microsoft "forgot" to include Sony when it mentioned consoles.

Cerium

It is really mind-blowing when you think in Japan alone Vita sold over a million copies of Minecraft. if anything stuff like this could cause people to shelve their Vita minecraft and make the jump to another platform

Switch Minecraft has been permanently #1 on the Japanese eShop since release.

We complained about the physical delay but now it all makes sense. When this version drops it's going to be HUGE in Japan.

I don't blame them. MS can play their mind games. Funny how losing brings up the competition and makes you rethink things.

Minecraft is an anomaly because it exists on all consoles, and MS owns it now. Let's talk when more games are crossplatform play.
Dude it's literally because Sony said No end of story.

Wil348

If fucking Nintendo are cool with this then Sony have no excuse. I would really like to be able to play with my PS4 friends from my Switch and it really sucks that it probably won't happen if Rocket League is any indication.

Dude it's literally because Sony said No end of story.

Sony said no this generation when they took a lead. It's MS that need sales, not Sony. It's business, and marketing. It sucks, yes but it won't happen this generation. Maybe next generation when they're all on an even playing field.

Regardless, this is the only game that has this deal. And probably will be the only game. It's marketing.

Keinning

three games. Gwent devs said the same thing]

and funny, because one game is always used as the example of microsoft being against it (FFXIV)

Microsoft would neve refuse sony out of spite on anything minecraft related, they don't give a damn, they want profit.

You don't even see the irony in these statements, do you?

boiled goose

good with gravy
The flip side of that is - if your friends aren't on ps4, you have to support a different platform in order to join them... which costs Sony a sale.

Sony doesnt lose anything by playing ball here.

People that have ps4 friends

More than

People that have xbox friends.

Also people that want ps4

More than

People that want xbox.

Sony is better off leveraging their userbase.

Microsoft is better off getting any sales that they can get. Plus they make money off minecraft.

three games. Gwent devs said the same thing]

and funny, because one game is always used as the example of microsoft being against it (FFXIV)

Microsoft would neve refuse sony out of spite on anything minecraft related, they don't give a damn, they want profit.

So then release Gwent on Switch and see if they make it multiplatform play.

Release Rocket League on Switch and see if they make it multiplatform play.

Release more games on Switch and see if they make it multiplatform play.

Put more pressure on Sony to do the same, not by talking but by example.

This is the only game right now that has multiplatform play.

Convince EA to make more sports game multiplatform. Convince more developers.

Again, let's talk when more games do it. This is an anomaly because of marketing.

NimbusD

Damn awesome. I bought minecraft for switch and wasn't feeling it cuz I don't have friends that play that often and without a server we will never play in each others world's and Imo it's boring alone. This is really cool.

Cerium

If fucking Nintendo are cool with this then Sony have no excuse. I would really like to be able to play with my PS4 friends from my Switch and it really sucks that it probably won't happen if Rocket League is any indication.

I can't imagine it was a hard sell for Nintendo.

"Hello, we want bring to Switch the best version of quite possibly the most popular game in the world, one that has a proven record of driving hardware in Japan. Oh, and we'd like to support it with dedicated servers if that's alright with you. May we please?"

Top Bottom