• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft "Better Together" (PC/X1/Switch/Mobile): Crossplay, Dedicated Servers+More

EDarkness

The difference is mentioned in the OP:

It's a question of privacy and scale. Servers essentially turn the game into an MMO.

So regular Minecraft lets you have private servers, while Minecraft Realms is like joining a public server with hundreds of other people?

Atomski

So how do the Pocket Edition/Windows 10 Edition compare to the Java PC game in terms of features?

If the graphics update is coming to the Xbox One X, then it will probably come out on the Windows 10 version as well...but I'm going to be reluctant to play it if it's missing features and content from the main Java based game.
Pretty sure it's got everything just not the modding community the java version has.

Cerium

So regular Minecraft lets you have private servers, while Minecraft Realms is like joining a public server with hundreds of other people?

No, Realms are for you and your friends and are hosted in the cloud. You can set who can access it.

Servers are open to everyone, anyone can get in, and can accommodate thousands of concurrent players. It's basically an MMO at that point.

Does this mean infinite worlds now too?

Yes.

EDarkness

No, Realms are for you and your friends and are hosted in the cloud. You can set who can access it.

Servers are open to everyone, anyone can get in, and can accommodate thousands of concurrent players. It's basically an MMO at that point.

So if I want a place for my wife and I to run around in, then I'll need Minecraft Realms? Is that a whole new game? I don't want to have to buy another copy of Minecraft.

Calm Mind

So then release Gwent on Switch and see if they make it multiplatform play.

Release Rocket League on Switch and see if they make it multiplatform play.

Release more games on Switch and see if they make it multiplatform play.

Put more pressure on Sony to do the same, not by talking but by example.

This is the only game right now that has multiplatform play.

Convince EA to make more sports game multiplatform. Convince more developers.

Again, let's talk when more games do it. This is an anomaly because of marketing.

You make a terrific case. I see no fault in this logic.

OmegaFax

I don't think they've said, but I could be wrong. I got the impression that it was going to be some DLC pack that you buy.

Finally, this Fall, we'll be releasing a free update that allows you to boost Minecraft's graphics. Minecraft will get 4K HDR graphics which include improved lighting, shadows, water effects... basically, it'll be like giving your eyes a luxury massage. This’ll be available to folks playing on Xbox One, Windows 10, iOS, mobile, and VR - essentially every platform that gets our Better Together update.

We'll also be releasing new DLC, the Super Duper Graphics Pack. On top of the free 4K update, the Super Duper Graphics Pack introduces features like dynamic shadows, lighting that streams through fog, movement in leaves and grass, new textures for mobs and villagers, directional lighting, edge highlighting and more! This Pack will be available on Xbox One and Windows 10, performing best on high-end PCs and the Xbox One X (formerly known as Project Scorpio).

https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/all-news-e3

I think during the Microsoft Press Conference, they compared the Super Duper Graphics Pack as something like a Mash-Up Pack or Texture Pack DLC. 4K/HDR is free. It doesn't sound like the textures and lighting are.

Now I may get Minecraft on the Switch.

right? I thought about it before but I couldn't justify buying the game on a platform I wouldn't have people to play it with on. Dedicated server support just made the Switch version an attractive option for me. Shit, I bought Pocket Edition years ago and didn't really fuck with it much, I'm gonna break that out too.

Cerium

Flashback

Head of Xbox Phil Spencer recently shared his thoughts on Nintendo Switch and explained why Microsoft has yet to release a portable Xbox.

"Our relationship with Nintendo is great," Spencer said on the latest episode of IGN's Xbox show Unlocked, noting he had to opportunity to play Nintendo Switch early and thinks "they've done some really innovative work."

The Xbox boss went on to say he "love the hardware design" and believes that "anytime Nintendo brings a new product to the gaming market it's good for all of us."

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
right? I thought about it before but I couldn't justify buying the game on a platform I wouldn't have people to play it with on. Dedicated server support just made the Switch version an attractive option for me. Shit, I bought Pocket Edition years ago and didn't really fuck with it much, I'm gonna break that out too.

Ive been thinking the same

Macka

Would it be possible (or likely) that they'd come up with some way to migrate an existing server world in Java Minecraft to the Windows 10 Edition?

I'd absolutely love to continue playing in my friend's server on the Switch.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I actually unwrapped my copy of Minecraft last night and it's a neat little toy but it could really use some sort of single player campaign or structure.

j-wood

What does this mean for a person that just bought minecraft on switch? Do I have to buy these updates now too or are these free updates?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/all-news-e3

I think during the Microsoft Press Conference, they compared the Super Duper Graphics Pack as something like a Mash-Up Pack or Texture Pack DLC. 4K/HDR is free. It doesn't sound like the textures and lighting are.

so switch will also get the better graphics but not the "super duper" graphics (which makes sense)

well, now I might just buy minecraft for the first time ever.

What does this mean for a person that just bought minecraft on switch? Do I have to buy these updates now too or are these free updates?

as far as I understood, they're free

jariw

Does this mean that command blocks will be available on Switch/XB1 as well, just as they are on PC/Tablets? If so, this is even more massive news.

Cerium

It's in the OP.

If you own Minecraft for your mobile or VR device, you'll get this as a free update this summer. If you own Minecraft: Xbox One Edition or Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition, you'll receive the brand new version of Minecraft for free, and your existing worlds and DLC will come along to the new version with you.

It's basically a full relaunch of Minecraft, a pretty big deal.

MANUELF

Banned
I Say Nintendo should allow the Mario pack to exist on other platforms but only make it possible if you own the Switch version

Effect

Just to confirm the Switch version isn't getting the graphics/texture update right? That's separate from the 4K update right which of course the Switch wouldn't get. Or am I misunderstanding and they're the same thing. It's super late here and maybe my need for sleep is confusing me.

So this means I'll be able to set up my own dedicated server and my friends (and I) will be able to join it on a Switch? Not having a consistent multiplayer world like that was my biggest problem with the Switch version of Minecraft.

Cerium

So this means I'll be able to set up my own dedicated server and my friends (and I) will be able to join it on a Switch? Not having a consistent multiplayer world like that was my biggest problem with the Switch version of Minecraft.

You can do what you describe with the Realms feature, which is stored in the cloud.

The Dedicated Servers are managed by Microsoft and can host thousands of players at a time. Basically Minecraft MMO.

That's what I thought. Are we going to have to buy the game again it get that functionality?

No, Realms is a separate purchase from the game; the update to support Realms will be free, but Realms itself will not be. But, to clarify further, one Realms subscription is good for 2 friends ($3.99/month) or 10 friends ($7.99/month) (it's unclear if the subscribers is included in the 'friend' count or if they're an additional 3rd/11th person). Only the subscriber (who essentially owns/manages the world/save data) has to pay.

If you're referring to the ability to host your own server on your own computer for free like you can with the Java version, no. As Cerium stated above, if you don't mind paying for a Realms subscription for a private always-on server, then yes.

There are also the public servers (again, beaten by Cerium, but I want to clarify further), which are what Mojang is calling dedicated servers. These will be open to everyone and view-able on a server list on everyone's game; they'll be professionally ran, so you won't be able to just create one.

You can do what you describe with the Realms feature, which is stored in the cloud.

The Dedicated Servers are managed by Microsoft and can host thousands of players at a time. Basically Minecraft MMO.

Ah ok. The Realms thing still has a cost associated with it?

edit: Apparently so.

edit2: Thanks JershJopstin for further clarification!

Just to confirm the Switch version isn't getting the graphics/texture update right? That's separate from the 4K update right which of course the Switch wouldn't get. Or am I misunderstanding and they're the same thing. It's super late here and maybe my need for sleep is confusing me.

From the official press release:
Finally, this Fall, we'll be releasing a free update that allows you to boost Minecraft's graphics. Minecraft will get 4K HDR graphics which include improved lighting, shadows, water effects... basically, it'll be like giving your eyes a luxury massage. This’ll be available to folks playing on Xbox One, Windows 10, iOS, mobile, and VR - essentially every platform that gets our Better Together update.

We'll also be releasing new DLC, the Super Duper Graphics Pack. On top of the free 4K update, the Super Duper Graphics Pack introduces features like dynamic shadows, lighting that streams through fog, movement in leaves and grass, new textures for mobs and villagers, directional lighting, edge highlighting and more! This Pack will be available on Xbox One and Windows 10, performing best on high-end PCs and the Xbox One X (formerly known as Project Scorpio).

Neither is just a texture update. The 'Super Duper Graphics Pack' is essentially a further tier, exclusive to Windows 10 and Xbox One X. There's also an unnamed graphics boost update slated for the fall, which includes 4K. It's worth noting that they use the phrase 'essentially every platform' after specifically not naming the Switch. I'm not sure what this means. It could be that it's not getting a graphics boost at all, or it could be that it's getting a subset of the graphics options, so they didn't want to promise '4K HDR' to a device that won't be supporting that specific feature. I'll see if I can get a response from their PR tomorrow.

Top Bottom