• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft "Better Together" (PC/X1/Switch/Mobile): Crossplay, Dedicated Servers+More

This is actually amazing, I could get a windows 10 copy and technically have it host for all of my family to play on via their own Switch o_0

Ninja Dom

Hi.

I only started playing Minecraft with the release of the Switch version. Am I able to get Better Together, Ultimate and Realms on my Switch, ALL as a free upgrade? And it'll still be one game? Or will this be separated out to two different games?

Thanks

Hi.

I only started playing Minecraft with the release of the Switch version. Am I able to get Better Together, Ultimate and Realms on my Switch, ALL as a free upgrade? And it'll still be one game? Or will this be separated out to two different games?

Thanks
Whatever non-PC/PS4/Legacy version you own will be updated to become 'Minecraft', with all those features in tow

Cerium

Hi.

Thanks

Yes, you'll get Better Together for free. Ultimate appears to be the name of the retail package for the Better Together version.

Realms support is free, but it is a subscription service so you'll have to pay if you want to use it.

I believe the Dedicated Servers are free.

Ninja Dom

Whatever non-PC/PS4/Legacy version you own will be updated to become 'Minecraft', with all those features in tow

Yes, you'll get Better Together for free. Ultimate appears to be the name of the retail package for the Better Together version.

Realms support is free, but it is a subscription service so you'll have to pay if you want to use it.

I believe the Dedicated Servers are free.

Thanks.

Sounds great value to me. So far I haven't had another player join my game. This could help populate my world a lot!

Huh, I guess that's going to be the official retail title. Bleh I'm not sure if I should request another title change or just make a new thread at this point.

I missed this earlier; it doesn't look like they're calling it 'Minecraft Ultimate' anywhere but the URL for that page. I'd trust Mojang's official PR that it's just called 'Minecraft'.

I am surprised that they're rebranding the OG PC release, though.

ktSeX5h.jpg

It was foretold.

wow, rare pic, lol

kiguel182

I hope my iPad gets those new graphics, it looks really pretty.

Either way this update seems fantastic.

Edit: oh, it seems it's only Windows and Xbox. Sucks. Maybe down the line iOS will get it.

Wait, wait wait wait WAIT!

Did I got this right? Because the Switch version will be in this better together thing, it gets infinite world's? So no restrictions anymore? That can't be right, can it?
mi_07.jpg

Falchion

Now this is cool. It's awesome the Switch and Xbox will be able to play together now. Shame Sony didn't want to play.

Robin64

Wait, wait wait wait WAIT!

Did I got this right? Because the Switch version will be in this better together thing, it gets infinite world's? So no restrictions anymore? That can't be right, can it?

It's right. The restriction is the save file, and if your save is now on a server somewhere.. Infinite worlds, baby!

I imagine local games will still have a restriction.

GulAtiCa

Yeah, I have to imagine Switch local only might still be restricted due to save (Xbox One X to an extent maybe), but a online save will be infinite.

Be actually kinda cool if the Switch/etc local could be infinite while you were online and saved parts online and size would only be restricted if offline. That be kinda neat.

ecentre

Ok, so I guess Microsoft bought Mojang and excluded Playstation from this because they can. Not good for gamers but I can see why they do this. And for all the talk that Sony doesnt allow crossplay, try Paragon on the PS4.

Ok, so I guess Microsoft bought Mojang and excluded Playstation from this because they can. Not good for gamers but I can see why they do this. And for all the talk that Sony doesnt allow crossplay, try Paragon on the PS4.
You should stretch before doing such mental gymnastics, else you hurt yourself... Or Get some tinfoil.

It's right. The restriction is the save file, and if your save is now on a server somewhere.. Infinite worlds, baby!

I imagine local games will still have a restriction.

Damn, thats at least something. :)
I mean I like the community multiplayer aspect of the game but I also like my single player survival experience and if I can have infinite world's with a server, mhhhh I guess if it's not too expensive I would rent one just for me. Does anyone know prices?

Second cool aspect of a private server, not only infinite world's, also cross save!
Start on Xbox, continue on switch.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This is all very interesting news, it sounds like Switch, Xbox, and PC players will all be able to play together? And there will be unified servers for all of them to share? That's awesome. Shame on Sony for not wanting to be part of that, what a wasted opportunity.

So, is the PC Java version getting these updates too, or are they phasing it out for the W10 version? Does this mean the W10 version will be on par featurewise with the Java version then? Some more clarity is in order, but it will be very interesting to see how this all plays out. Seems like good news to me though.

sonto340

This is all very interesting news, it sounds like Switch, Xbox, and PC players will all be able to play together? And there will be unified servers for all of them to share? That's awesome. Shame on Sony for not wanting to be part of that, what a wasted opportunity.

So, is the PC Java version getting these updates too, or are they phasing it out for the W10 version? Does this mean the W10 version will be on par featurewise with the Java version then? Some more clarity is in order, but it will be very interesting to see how this all plays out. Seems like good news to me though.
Java edition is getting left behind with this update. They'll be rolling out a "community marketplace" which is presumably where mods will live in the Windows 10/Mobile/Console versions from here on out.

Omikaru

Yeeeeaaah, I don't think that's what happened here. And if MS did block Sony from this then Sony would be coming out to defend themselves now, rather than relying on their keyboard warriors to spread this (mis)information around.

As an owner of the PS4 version and the Windows 10 version, I won't lie, I'm pretty cheesed off that one of these versions will soon be notably inferior than the other. Minecraft is the kind of game that doesn't, and shouldn't, influence your platform purchase decision. Mojang are taking all of the purchasing logistics out of getting friends playing together with this update - because that's what's best for Minecraft - and Sony have just spat a good idea back into their, and their own customer's, faces.

Even worse, it wouldn't surprise me if the PS4 edition received less focus now. So Sony's backwards policies will inevitably give PlayStation players the worst version of the game. That's not something anyone in their ecosystem should be happy with.

jariw

Java version will not get the realms support, etc, it's only for the Windows 10 version.

MORT1S

I'm curious -

Is this "Bedrock Engine" version of Minecraft developed by 4J Studios, or is it done internally at Mojang? It seems like a waste for 4J to maintain the current console editions if this is on it's way.

I'd also really hate to see 4J throw out all the work they've put into their codebase for the last 5ish years.

So, if I have the Java version of Minecraft, it seems that's getting updated into the "Better Together" version, right?

Now, that's crossplay and seemingly *cross buy* as well? Do I have that right? So I'll be able to play on my Switch with no purchase?

If that's the case, am I still able to get the Nintendo themed stuff, or no? Can I buy that as DLC on my Switch?

VariantX

Of course they both allow crossplay, but people are still waiting for crossplay between Sony/MS.

GulAtiCa

I'm curious -

Is this "Bedrock Engine" version of Minecraft developed by 4J Studios, or is it done internally at Mojang? It seems like a waste for 4J to maintain the current console editions if this is on it's way.

I'd also really hate to see 4J throw out all the work they've put into their codebase for the last 5ish years.

Even if Mojang directly does the Switch / Xbox One versions from now on. 4J still will be handling PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, Vita, and so on/etc versions.

I kinda suspect 4J will still be handling the Switch / Xbox One versions still though.

They did just recently tease a new update for consoles (Observer block, parrots, llamas) https://twitter.com/GregWiggleton/status/872447835899396097 I think 4J Studios will be here for a while supporting all.

Cerium

So, if I have the Java version of Minecraft, it seems that's getting updated into the "Better Together" version, right?

Now, that's crossplay and seemingly *cross buy* as well? Do I have that right? So I'll be able to play on my Switch with no purchase?

If that's the case, am I still able to get the Nintendo themed stuff, or no? Can I buy that as DLC on my Switch?
Unfortunately Java is the other version being left out of Better Together. They want you to switch to the Windows 10 version.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Unfortunately Java is the other version being left out of Better Together. They want you to switch to the Windows 10 version.

As long as the W10 version gets updated to feature parity with the Java version, then I think I'm okay with this. The W10 version runs better anyway, at least it did half a year ago when I last opened it. Java has always held the game's potential back a bit, it just has, so finally leaving java behind might be a good thing.

Trup1aya

lol stahp! Sony won't allow crossplay... with Xbox.

If you have the java version you get the ultimate for free?

Yes, as long as you can log into your Minecraft account online, you'll be able to get a code to download the Windows 10 edition for free.

I haven't played on PC in ages, but I bought in back when Minecraft was still in beta. Logged in a couple weeks ago and they had a free upgrade to the new client.

OmegaFax

Yeah, I have to imagine Switch local only might still be restricted due to save (Xbox One X to an extent maybe), but a online save will be infinite.

Be actually kinda cool if the Switch/etc local could be infinite while you were online and saved parts online and size would only be restricted if offline. That be kinda neat.

Even if Mojang directly does the Switch / Xbox One versions from now on. 4J still will be handling PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, Vita, and so on/etc versions.

I kinda suspect 4J will still be handling the Switch / Xbox One versions still though.

They did just recently tease a new update for consoles (Observer block, parrots, llamas) https://twitter.com/GregWiggleton/status/872447835899396097 I think 4J Studios will be here for a while supporting all.

My takeaway is that 4J Studios and Mojang were both concurrently working on their own Switch ports. 4J's port was done as a probably a fallback in case Nintendo did not agree to cross-play with other platforms.

The way that Mojang's website describes the "Better Together" update on Switch and Xbox One is that it's an entirely new download, not an existing game update. The "Console Edition" moniker for these two platforms is gone.

4J's Twitter usually announces or links information on announced updates. Their Twitter account has been silent since the 8th. I'm thinking that when the Switch and Xbox One get the newer "Better Together" version of Minecraft, the existing console editions on those platforms, while still playable, will probably reach EoL as Mojang AB takes over development and maintenance duties.

I don't think Microsoft even mentioned 4J Studios or their roadmap at E3 (yet). I'm assuming that they'll still have a part in maintaining the PS3, PS4, PSV, & Xbox 360 versions for at least the immediate future and the only announced update they've made is completely separate from what Microsoft/Mojang is doing with "Better Together".

LaneDS

Whoa, so the Switch version will enjoy infinite world size? Did I read that correctly? That's awesome.

Excited for that and the fancy (well, "super duper") graphics on PC. Think the cross-play initiative sounds really amazing.

edit: I see that is totally what is happening, awesome.

Top Bottom