• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft "Better Together" (PC/X1/Switch/Mobile): Crossplay, Dedicated Servers+More

Flintty

I'm pretty excited about the Play Together patch. I will be able to play with my wife and kids without playing split screen and when I take my Switch away on business I can till play. Amazing. Looks like I'll be buying again for Switch.

They said you can play your DLC across platforms. Does this include the Mario pack?

Cerium

I'm pretty excited about the Play Together patch. I will be able to play with my wife and kids without playing split screen and when I take my Switch away on business I can till play. Amazing. Looks like I'll be buying again for Switch.

They said you can play your DLC across platforms. Does this include the Mario pack?
That's still being negotiated:

When it comes to platform specific content, such as the Switch and Wii U Super Mario Mash-Up Pack, a representative for the Minecraft team said “We are still working out [if platform-specific content will be available to a player on all platforms] and hope to have more details on that as we get closer to launch.”

Yeah I can see the PS version falling by the wayside now with all the effort going into this unification. Sony are idiots to block themselves from pretty much the biggest game ever.

The new features are cool, and I love that Xbox X texture pack. I haven't played the game in a couple of years so looking forward to jumping back in this holiday!

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Just to confirm the Switch version isn't getting the graphics/texture update right? That's separate from the 4K update right which of course the Switch wouldn't get. Or am I misunderstanding and they're the same thing. It's super late here and maybe my need for sleep is confusing me.

Think it is.

Here’s the catch: the Super Duper Graphics pack is also coming to lots of other platforms, including Xbox One S, PC and Switch, even mobile (unclear if/when it’s coming to PS4), basically everything that’ll be running the game on the new Bedrock Engine. “It will be anywhere that you can play Minecraft in the new version,” Egbert said. “It will improve any screen on which you play, but the best experience will be on Xbox One X.” This is the theme: what you can play on Xbox One X is playable elsewhere, but, short of a high-end PC, it will simply look best on the X.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-x-is-impressive-but-doesn-t-seem-essential-1796023985

Cerium

Interesting because the official site says this:

We'll also be releasing new DLC, the Super Duper Graphics Pack. On top of the free 4K update, the Super Duper Graphics Pack introduces features like dynamic shadows, lighting that streams through fog, movement in leaves and grass, new textures for mobs and villagers, directional lighting, edge highlighting and more! This Pack will be available on Xbox One and Windows 10, performing best on high-end PCs and the Xbox One X (formerly known as Project Scorpio).
Maybe it's timed exclusive.

MCN

Banned
Is this why the physical release for Switch is delayed? They physical release will be the updated version, otherwise physical owners would have to basically download the whole entire game again as a patch anyway.

Cerium

Is this why the physical release for Switch is delayed? They physical release will be the updated version, otherwise physical owners would have to basically download the whole entire game again as a patch anyway.

Yes, that seems very likely.

Kouriozan

Interesting because the official site says this:

Maybe it's timed exclusive.
Interesting, sounds like they'll have to remove some feature of the texture pack though or they just mean that 4k experience.

Edit : based on Kotaku article

Here’s the catch: the Super Duper Graphics pack is also coming to lots of other platforms, including Xbox One S, PC and Switch, even mobile (unclear if/when it’s coming to PS4), basically everything that’ll be running the game on the new Bedrock Engine. “It will be anywhere that you can play Minecraft in the new version,” Egbert said. “It will improve any screen on which you play, but the best experience will be on Xbox One X

FyreWulff

Yeah I can see the PS version falling by the wayside now with all the effort going into this unification. Sony are idiots to block themselves from pretty much the biggest game ever.

The new features are cool, and I love that Xbox X texture pack. I haven't played the game in a couple of years so looking forward to jumping back in this holiday!

Technically the PS4 version is also the 360, Wii U, Vita, and PS3 version, so there's still plenty of platforms for that version of the engine (360 and PS3 still get updated to parity with everyone else)

tl;dr

4Jengine: 360, PS3, Vita, PS4, Wii U, the current version of Xone and Switch engines

Bedrock: (when this update goes out) Xone, Switch, Win10, Android/iOS

Java: the og Minecraft, still doing it's own thing

Cuburt

The more I think about this, the more I get excited about the potential.

I've already bought the game several times (360, Android, Wii U) but despite having interest in a VR edition or having the game portable on the Switch, the idea of once again buying additional, separate versions just seemed unappealing to me.

This move not only makes those versions more appealing for me, they also add value to every version of Minecraft that is supported. I also wonder if save data can easily be transferred between "Better Together" versions so I could be building on the Switch then run around in the world in VR. I wouldn't even mind if old local save data didn't allow for it as long as there was some work around online it would be worth it.

Switch getting access to infinite worlds, servers, and jumping right up to feature parity with other platforms (due to all versions now having the same base) is a HUGE upgrade.

Technically the PS4 version is also the 360, Wii U, Vita, and PS3 version, so there's still plenty of platforms for that version of the engine (360 and PS3 still get updated to parity with everyone else)

tl;dr

4Jengine: 360, PS3, Vita, PS4, Wii U, the current version of Xone and Switch engines

Bedrock: (when this update goes out) Xone, Switch, Win10, Android/iOS

Java: the og Minecraft, still doing it's own thing

Yeah but are MS going to keep providing continual updates for 'legacy' platforms. That is the question.

Daffy Duck

Well god dayum.

I've just watched the trailer for this and it looks amazing!

I haven't touched by Xbox One edition of Minecraft as I spent all my time getting the platinum trophy on the PS4 version, but all things considered when this hits I will spend some time going for all the achievements as it looks gorgeous.

Lom1lo

How likely is it that there is cross-save ? Running my own world on switch and xbox would be cool (without any servers or realms)

Robin64

How likely is it that there is cross-save ? Running my own world on switch and xbox would be cool (without any servers or realms)

Without using Realms? Very unlikely. Switch's local saves are 2GB. I don't know how it would work here.

gamz

I wonder if there comes a time when gaming companies just use XBL instead of building out their own network and the costs that come with it. Hmmmmm....

Lom1lo

Without using Realms? Very unlikely. Switch's local saves are 2GB. I don't know how it would work here.

What would be the diffrence if it syncs the world across all plattforms (regarding size) ? I thought switch gets infinite worlds too with this updatte

Datschge

I don't think the updated Minecraft would save locally aside for an offline mode (that may sync anyway, not Switch cloud save but on Minecraft servers). I could be wrong, but local saves would work against the cross platform unification this update is supposed to bring.

Now that I think about it Minecraft is not a Play Anywhere title for XBO/Win10 so cloud saves were never synced across platforms. I don't think this update changes that. Play Anywhere games are the only ones I think that had cross saving and this new version of Minecraft is at least not marketed as Play Anywhere.

CookTrain

Now that I think about it Minecraft is not a Play Anywhere title for XBO/Win10 so cloud saves were never synced across platforms. I don't think this update changes that. Play Anywhere games are the only one that had cross saving and this new version of Minecraft is at least not marketed as Play Anywhere.

They weren't play anywhere before because they were, as dumb as it sounds, two different games. Minecraft Windows 10 Edition and Minecraft Xbox One Edition. Now they're being brought under the same umbrella. I can't say if they'll have cloud saves by default, but at the very least you'll be able to have a realm to store your world online.

They weren't play anywhere before because they were, as dumb as it sounds, two different games. Minecraft Windows 10 Edition and Minecraft Xbox One Edition. Now they're being brought under the same umbrella. I can't say if they'll have cloud saves by default, but at the very least you'll be able to have a realm to store your world online.
Sure. It's why i brought up marketing as a point. Obviously MS would like to sell copies of Minecraft for XBO & Win10 separately but it'll be the exception for being the only non Play Anywhere title (after the update) to offer cross saves, if it does, and obviously calling it Play Anywhere implies cross buy as well. I'd like to think it'll at least happen between XBO and Win10 but I guess we'll see.

Synth

Sure. It's why i brought up marketing as a point. Obviously MS would like to sell copies of Minecraft for XBO & Win10 separately but it'll be the exception for being the only non Play Anywhere title (after the update) to offer cross saves

I don't think this is true. I think Quantum Break has cross-saves also, and is not PlayAnywhere.

Top Bottom