• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft CEO confirms Xbox Live login on Switch, really wants Sony cross-play.

Mojang CEO Jonas Märtensson says the account system will have you logging in to Xbox Live on Switch. Might be part of why Sony is reluctant?

http://www.pressfire.no/nyheter/Xbo...r-spill-Minecraft-sammen-utenom-p-Playstation

Here's a quick and dirty translation of some of the interview:

We're tying everything together with Xbox Live. So you log in with Xbox Live ...

Even on Switch?

Yes. (Laughs) That's pretty unique as well! But everyone that's in on this, all the platform holders, have been pretty pragmatic and understanding of that what we're trying to do is create a good experience for the players. We needed a good system to connect everyone, and Xbox Live is a good system.

On lack of Sony support:

How did the cooperation between Xbox and Switch enter the picture? Has it been difficult, politically speaking?

No. We have always wanted to, from a Minecraft perspective, try and give the players as many options as possible, on any platform. Nintendo has been very open when it comes to working together, so I'd say it's been very smooth.

What about Sony? There's one party that's missing in the cross play here.

Yeah, but we would really like this to come out there as well.

But it's stopping at the top?

Absolutely not on our side.

On the other side, I mean.

You'd have to ask them (laughs).

Actually, we will. We have an interview with Jim Ryan later on...

Do it! We would really like to have Sony in on this.

Yukinari

So when we start paying for Switch's online we'll actually be using a cheaper version of Xbox Live for Minecraft?

inner-G

Banned
Wow, so people will have to make an XBL account to play on Switch?

Does that mean they can count Switch players will towards xbox 'MAU's? No wonder they want PS4 players on there

GHG

Gold Member
Ok but what about Switch to PS4?

Or does everyone have to go though Live as far as Minecraft is concerned?

And is this also the case for Rocket League?

Chris1

To be fair it's Microsofts game.

That doesn't explain Sony turning down Rocket League, I doubt that's all tied through XBL

Pinky

Banned
Jim Ryan: We want to protect the children.

Press: But Nintendo's doing it.

Jim Ryan: Oh, huh... Well, we still don't want to.

PS4 isn't cross-playing with anything. They're on their own.

Edit: Sorry, I read the question wrong.

Gotta get those monthly active users up. I can see why Sony wouldn't want to do this. This can't be the implementation for Rocket League though, they said they just to click a box.

I guess Sony doesn't want Microsoft using their platform to add users to its live ecosystem but it's still a bad look for them and sucks for their user base. Also doesn't explain other crossplatform play opportunities

Jonboy

I can definitely see why Sony wouldn't want this then, considering you'd have to make a Live account to play the game online for PS4. That being said...

To be fair it's Microsofts game.

That doesn't explain Sony turning down Rocket League, I doubt that's all tied through XBL
I agree. Definitely doesn't explain the reluctance on Rocket League.

In Minecraft's case yes you will need to link a Microsoft account for multiplayer. You already need to do this on Android, iOS, and Win10.

Which also means that cross play is not a universal solution that can be dropped onto a title. That's why I feel stuff like this should be left to the developer to decide on multiplayer features, not the platform holder.

Let's get Sony on this!

Quonny

Mmmm. I can see why Sony is reluctant.

Doesn't mean that I agree with them, but this is something Sony definitely does not want to promote. And again, doesn't explain other games.

Well if I was Sony then I'd say no to this too. As many have mentioned, the question becomes if this is the same issue on Rocket League?

That's bizarre.

Will Xbox Live online play be free on Switch then? Or will you have to have a subscription to both Nintendo's and MS's service?

But cross-play will devalue the brand, as market leaders, they shouldn't bother with cross-play with lesser consoles. We already have cross-play with PC. Gamers are too entitled.

/mocking actual responses in this very forum

Wow, so people will have to make an XBL account to play on Switch?

Does that mean they can count Switch players will towards xbox 'MAU's? No wonder they want PS4 players on there

when you play Fifa online on Ps4 you need an EA account login
Mojang as the publisher of the game wants the same

That's bizarre.

Will Xbox Live online play be free on Switch then? Or will you have to have a subscription to both Nintendo's and MS's service?

Xbox Live play is not payed.
Xbox Live gold is payed
You don't need Xbox Live gold to play Minecraft online on Switch

kmax

Mojang is a Microsoft company and Minecraft is a Microsoft game.

I have no idea if that has anything to do with it, but Sony could be resistant since they are arch rivals.

Dynasty

XBL login is understandable for Minecraft. Need more info on Rocket League since that is the third party crossplay game.

Bread

Banned
Wait, does that mean Switch and Xbox players be able to party up and do matchmaking together? This seems different from the crossplay we have
had up to this point.

nvm misread this and thought it was about cross play in general, not just minecraft.

David___

Banned
Sony have been refusing cross platform play for a while, I thought it was common knowledge. Many devs would have made their games have it if it weren't for Sony refusing.

Sometimes it blocks an entire game coming to the system, like FFXIV.

Except every time Yoshida mentions it he's putting the blame of MS.

Top Bottom