• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft coming to the Wii U eShop next week (Dec. 17)

Josh7289

Sort of weird seeing this on Twitter.

I like it. Phil Spencer's pretty legit.

By the way the product page on nintendo.com shows:
Developer
4J Studios Ltd. / Microsoft Studios

And in the Topics post on nintendo.co.jp, it says (emphasis theirs):
12月17日(木)に世界中のWii Uで日本マイクロソフトより発売されます。
Straight-up says the game is "being released on Wii U worldwide on 12/17 from Microsoft Japan."

Drago

Can't believe this didn't happen 126 years ago, they wasted their fucking time with those hanafuda cards and now they're just playing catch-up. Unbelievable

The big question is if they will half-ass this. I was thinking they would but they don't have THAT much for 2016 and maybe they will continue to add to it next year to sustain its relevance. I mean this isn't ANY name/game.

So for anyone interest, I tweeted the guy that posted the news story on Mojang's site, I think he's the ehad of their PR or whatever, and I asked him if we would be able to do inventory management on the gamepad. His response:

Not at the moment, sorry. It's just used as an alternate screen if someone is using the TV. Would be cool though. :)

You can check it here if you wish: click

So, it looks like it will just be a pure port from the other console versions for now, no added bells and whistles. Hopefully that kind of thing comes in future, there's potential there.

So for anyone interest, I tweeted the guy that posted the news story on Mojang's site, I think he's the ehad of their PR or whatever, and I asked him if we would be able to do inventory management on the gamepad. His response:

So, it looks like it will just be a pure port from the other console versions for now, no added bells and whistles. Hopefully that kind of thing comes in future, there's potential there.
I changed my mind, they're going to half-ass it. I do love Off Tv play though.

KingBroly

Banned

Makes me think it'll just be the 360 version without taking advantage of the additional ram. Sigh...

The 360 version isn't bad or anything, just extremely limited.

I changed my mind, they're going to half-ass it. I do love Off Tv play though.

Makes me think it'll just be the 360 version without taking advantage of the additional ram. Sigh...

The 360 version isn't bad or anything, just extremely limited.

Agreed on both counts. Off Tv is a great feature, but yea, I'd assume it'll be the 360/PS3 version too. I guess they're holding off to see how it does before doing anything beyond skins/mash-up packs. Of course then you can get circular about how holding off anything unique will tank the sale sin the first place.

I'm excited, but I wonder if it would have been better to wait to launch with a mushroom kingdom or hyrule or donkey kong land mashup pack or something, with a few nice tweaks like tv/pad co-op, inventory/crafting on gamepad, that kind of thing. It'll be a good alternative off tv to the vita in the evening in front of the tv but yea.

bryehn

Off-TV is sweet, but is it the small 360-sized world or the bigger XB1/PS4 size.

Mini Minecraft is still good, but really limiting.

georly

C'mon, there's room for both in your life man. Don't wanna give up that sackboy life!

Already have it on 360 for the kids, but they want the less limited version on PS4/XB1... so if the Wii U one is the same as the 360 in terms of limitations, there's no point (unless they add zelda themes/costumes, then we're talking).

Already have it on 360 for the kids, but they want the less limited version on PS4/XB1... so if the Wii U one is the same as the 360 in terms of limitations, there's no point (unless they add zelda themes/costumes, then we're talking).

You're preaching to the choir man. We have it on xbox one, ps4 and vita. He plays them all regularly as well haha. And you know there will be exclusive skins and worlds, that's why it's insisted upon me that we must have both PS4 & xbox versions. So I'm just rolling with it. Fuck it, we'll have it on every platform, and I won't get an earful about halo, sackboy and so on haha. I believe they said in the press release that there will be nintendo exclusive content.

Is this confirmed? That'd be a really wasted opportunity.

Pretty much. They would have made a big deal of it in the PR, they wouldn't just have mentioned off-tv and called it a day.

Guys. I posted the answer to this literally an hour ago, it's what people were replying to in the first place. You only need to scroll up and read, we#re still on the same page.

georly

You're preaching to the choir man. We have it on xbox one, ps4 and vita. He plays them all regularly as well haha. And you know there will be exclusive skins and worlds, that's why it's insisted upon me that we must have both PS4 & xbox versions. So I'm just rolling with it. Fuck it, we'll have it on every platform, and I won't get an earful about halo, sackboy and so on haha. I believe they said in the press release that there will be nintendo exclusive content.

Really don't understand why the kids constantly switch from one version to another as if they're any different. Especially when they switch from superior PC to inferior 360 at random.

"Man, i'm so bored of minecraft, let me go play minecraft instead"
What.

Effect

Touchscreen use for the inventory just makes so much damn sense. Here's hoping that it's added in. Especially if Nintendo is having additional content made. Why go to all the trouble and not make it control as well as it can. It's not a deal breaker though but does make things a bit disappointing.

Touchscreen use for the inventory just makes so much damn sense. Here's hoping that it's added in. Especially if Nintendo is having additional content made. Why go to all the trouble and not make it control as well as it can. It's not a deal breaker though but does make things a bit disappointing.

Not enough WiiU units to justify it. Just have to hope it gets enough sales to justify the features coming along later. The WiiU version could have been the best version but I guess the mouse crafting code will likely never have been operational in the console version. I imagine it will probably have the same limited map size too.

Ansatz

Honestly? No gamepad inventory and crafting screen, no buy. Seriously, it's like the screen was made for that.

Wii game test cycle all over again. Nobody dares to invest on a Nintendo platform, hence why they all fail.

I'd rather no port than a half assed one.

Effect

Wii game test cycle all over again. Nobody dares to invest on a Nintendo platform, hence why they all fail.

This wouldn't be a half assed port though. It would be on par with the other versions since they don't have touch screens, just regular controllers. Well the PS4 has that pad on the controller but I think people have forgotten about that. This would have been an additional feature for the Wii U. Not something taken away.

The Wii U still has better features on the other versions with Off TV play and the ability to do two players with each having their own screen I believe. Now the question is when it comes to 4 players does that mean three on the TV and one on the gamepad or are all four on the TV?

The Wii U version still comes with packs. There will still be exclusive Nintendo related content no other version will be getting. We still don't know the world size limits yet. The Wii U can use larger storage options compared to the PS3/360 and the system has way more RAM then they do. If anything the port should be based on the PS4/XBO versions, hopefully.

I think people with the "no buy" talk need to calm down and think for a moment.

georly

If it doesn't utilize the wii u's unique hardware it's half assed?

I'd say it's an equivalent port. Equal to other platforms. You don't have to go above and beyond and utilized unique hardware to be considered a good port. It'd be NICE to have it make use of it, but not necessary.

No one complains when a game ported to XB1 doesn't use the trigger vibration or kinect. As long as it does everything it does on PS4, it's considered a good port, if it's a port at all.

Really don't understand why the kids constantly switch from one version to another as if they're any different. Especially when they switch from superior PC to inferior 360 at random.

"Man, i'm so bored of minecraft, let me go play minecraft instead"
What.

Haha, yes. Part of the logic, on my end, is by having it on multiple devices it's not too hard to have my cake and eat ie. let the kiddo play minecraft, still get game time myself. The complaints I've had though about wanting to specificly play this one or that one, even when it's a generic world that's on both.

ON the unique features thing: I wouldn't say it's half assed as much as it's disappointing. As georly says above me, it's simply an equivalent port. Obviously it would be great to have that stuff. It doesn't mean the game will be poor. It also means some people in this thread will not want to buy it. One of these doesn't have to win over the other. Both can be facts, it's okay.

I will say though, for the people who say they would literally rather the game didn't come to the Wii U if it doesn't have extra features, christ guys. My kid is jumping at this news and he has it on three other platforms. For some kids, this may be the only device their parents would be willing to buy it for them on due to phone paranoia etc. Try and think before you post. You might not want the game if it's a barebones port, I genuinely agree and don't blame you but to extend that to straight up wishing it didn't come to the platform if it doesn't purely suit yourselves, ouch.

FyreWulff

I have no expectation that 4J is just going to make it the 360 version's worldsize. I expect them to just have it be the maximum they can get to.

I mean, people thought they were going to half ass the 360 featureset, and now the 360 version is on TU23 or something like that. They've been pretty good about updating and upgrading these versions.

jariw

If it doesn't utilize the wii u's unique hardware it's half assed?

I'd say it's an equivalent port. Equal to other platforms. You don't have to go above and beyond and utilized unique hardware to be considered a good port. It'd be NICE to have it make use of it, but not necessary.

No one complains when a game ported to XB1 doesn't use the trigger vibration or kinect. As long as it does everything it does on PS4, it's considered a good port, if it's a port at all.

It's not really comparable. The technology for utilizing the Gamepad in a good way is basically already available on Minecraft PE.

Lazaro

Lack of full Gamepad utilisation is disappointing. But what's really disappointing is that there will be no Banjo/Rare skin packs coming over 😢

I feel like the reason Diddy Kong Racing is not éShop yet is because of Conker and Banjo being part of the game.

Hopefully Nintendo/Microsoft/Rare/4J Studios can work something out and port over Rare's N64 titles to Wii U in native code like they did with Banjo and Perfect Dark on 360, but mainly a Wii U native port of Diddy Kong Racing 🏁🏁🏁

I have Rare Replay on XONE but I wouldn't mind buying Rare's older titles on éShop.

seems like a no brainer to me.
Lack of full Gamepad utilisation is disappointing. But what's really disappointing is that there will be no Banjo/Rare skin packs coming over 😢

I feel like the reason Diddy Kong Racing is not éShop yet is because of Conker and Banjo being part of the game.

Hopefully Nintendo/Microsoft/Rare/4J Studios can work something out and port over Rare's N64 titles to Wii U in native code like they did with Banjo and Perfect Dark on 360, but mainly a Wii U native port of Diddy Kong Racing 🏁🏁🏁

I have Rare Replay on XONE but I wouldn't mind buying Rare's older titles on éShop.

The woman who was steaming Minecraft the day of the announcement said she would ask Rare about such possibility. Not saying much, but it's something.

Oregano

I have no expectation that 4J is just going to make it the 360 version's worldsize. I expect them to just have it be the maximum they can get to.

I mean, people thought they were going to half ass the 360 featureset, and now the 360 version is on TU23 or something like that. They've been pretty good about updating and upgrading these versions.

Probably silly question but is 4J actually doing the port? They seemed pretty adamant about not wanting anything to do with the Wii U.

Golmon97

Neo Member
The gamepad functionality is really nice but I'm worried about the size of the map. It was really small on 360/ps3, killing the pleasure of exploring the world. The one/ps4 version is much better in this case. But I'm not sure the Wii u can handle this...

Massa

It's not really comparable. The technology for utilizing the Gamepad in a good way is basically already available on Minecraft PE.

And what would be the cost of creating a frankenstein between different Minecraft versions, and then keeping it updated along with everything else they already have to maintain? Do you really think the costs would be worth it for an optional feature on such a small install base?

jariw

And what would be the cost of creating a frankenstein between different Minecraft versions, and then keeping it updated along with everything else they already have to maintain? Do you really think the costs would be worth it for an optional feature on such a small install base?

How is the Minecraft source code handled between platform versions? Which parts of it are shared and which parts are not? What will the install base of Minecraft for Wii U be?

AzaK

They've missed an opportunity to convert people over if they don't add in command block/console support like the computer versions. The Wii U can handle the required keyboard input.

Painguy

It kinda worries me that they announced this so close to release, but haven't shown anything of it. Doesn't give me confidence in its quality.

Davey Cakes

The FIRST thing I thought of when hearing the term "Minecraft Wii U" was Gamepad utilization for the inventory, not just for Off-TV play.

Like, that feature is something that would really set the Wii U version apart. It's a perfect fit.

Hopefully if this version is successful they'll be willing to find a way to patch it in.

Top Bottom