• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft for New Nintendo 2/3DS is OUT TODAY (in North America)

13ruce

Banned
This is pretty darn cool maybe 3DS might hit 75m+ lifetime afterall.

Never imagined this game comin to (new)3ds.

BooJoh

Been wanting to play Minecraft on 3DS in 3D for years. But now I own it portable on Switch and the 3DS version is $30 with less features... so, not buying unless there's a really good sale.

Mahonay

Banned
Shit. If this is a good version of the game I might pick it up.

EDIT: 30 bucks with no multiplayer...hmmm probably not.

OmegaFax

$30 ... no multiplayer ... it doesn't look like it has the Mario Mash-Up Pack like the other Nintendo console versions do >_> ... kind of a bummer but completely unexpected. I thought if any Minecraft news was going to drop today, it would have been Realms/Better Together on Switch.

I'm running out of fingers to count how many different systems I've bought this game for but I never expected it and the idea of minecraft on the 3DS is really cute! Might pick up the packaged edition when it releases later on.

What's the port based on? Is it a Pocket Edition fork, or is this another 4J port? Something new/different?

Edit: Saw it was posted on the first page, never mind.

So it's a Pocket Edition build from last summer. Huh. Interestingly that's a few minor updates after the Realms/Xbox Live update (0.15.0). Wonder if this means there's an outside chance of this getting updated to Bedrock/Better Together, lol.

Niosai

This is a big surprise to me, for sure. Always thought the 3DS was perfect for kids to play Minecraft. Main issue is the New 3DS requirement. Fully expect to see a New 2DS Minecraft bundle.

If they add better together multiplayer, I'll definitely bite.

Details about Minecraft 3DS from the dev stream:

- max world size is 2016x2016, which is not bad...for comparison small worlds on Switch are 900x900ish and largest are 3000x3000ish
- based on Pocket Edition 0.15.4, which launched July 2016, has every feature the game did as of that release
- due to above, no The End yet, but does have the Nether
- redstone contraptions work as expected, they had memory-eating bugs with them at one point but got them all squashed
- they plan on lots of updates over the course of the next 6-8 months, for example targeting 0.16 and adding ocean monuments and associated blocks
- no cross play or world sharing, this is a totally new and different build of the game unique to 3DS
- no multiplayer at launch, they want to put it in eventually (only among 3DSs)
- 3D depth will be added in a patch very, very soon, 99% ready
- mouselook with c-stick including invert Y-axis if you want, other options like view bobbing off, auto-jump
- best unique feature: map is always active on the bottom screen! no need for a map item or dual wielding it or anything
- comes with standard textures, plastic (looks great on 3DS), and city, plus many character skins

Gestault

- best unique feature: map is always active on the bottom screen! no need for a map item or dual wielding it or anything

Having the map as a regular feature (not an item) is something they should consider in other versions, at least as a standard server option (unless it's there and I'm just unaware of it).

Having the map as a regular feature (not an item) is something they should consider in other versions, at least as a standard server option (unless it's there and I'm just unaware of it).

The reason it's not standard in Java/PC is because with unlimited world size the map could be infinitely large. That's why you create blank maps and they get locked to a specific segment of the map when you use them (and can be expanded up to a certain resolution but no further).

Console versions with limited world size don't have that issue, though even Minecraft on Switch requires making 9 individual maps to map the whole place.

I wonder if they'd bothered to nake this a couple of years ago would it have killed the extra life that minecraft gave the vita in japan

ShadowOwl

Woah, 30 bucks, eh? I'm still tempted though as they've promised to provide further updates including multiplayer...

European eShop has not been updated yet, I will think about it till then.

Fiendcode

Mobile base is very likely lighter than console base. Also, N3DS CPU might be more powerful than Vita's when the second has wifi on.
n3DS CPU is more powerful than Vita's CPU standard clock (333MHz), which is as high as it goes unless you turn off wifi and background OS.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Get the Switch version if you can

I'm not saying this isn't cool, but if you have the option for the love of God get the Switch version.

Top Bottom