• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If you need more I can explain it in more detail.
Thanks, but I prefer visual realism over convenience when it comes to Minecraft.

I built a farm. I built a farmhouse. I built a barn. I built some pens for the animals. And I modeled the chicken "house" after the kinds you see at modern chicken plants.

6hUjtmG.png

My design has already yielded hundreds of thousands of eggs and thousands of cooked chicken. Sure, it's extremely flawed since if the hopper floor fills up with eggs, then the cooked chicken won't filter into them. I'd have to build a disposal/emptying system that will get rid of any eggs that can't fit in the dozens of chests I have for them. Right now it's not an issue though since I am flush with food.

If I'm building an iron farm (Which we already still have in the old world chunks on my world) or an Ender Pearl grinder then I'll use the most current good designs, but if it's an analog to something in the real world I much prefer to go with realism. It makes me feel like I'm putting in the work. Haha

That said, even the new version of Optifine (C3) has the sprint bug for me. I can't get sprinting to work anymore. Not in multiplayer. Not in single player. Not in survival or creative. If I switch back to Vanilla, sprinting works again. Optifine just stopped letting me sprint and it pisses me off. There's no mention of the bug on Google either. I wouldn't even know how to describe the bug to the Optifine creator.

Edit: Also, I'd be super happy if Mojang would just add controller support (And a controller optimized UI) to the Java version as an option so I can at least try out playing with one. I don't get why it still isn't. They're owned by Microsoft. I have a 360 controller. I'd really like to use it especially since I have a new 50" TV I'd like to sit on the couch and play it on.

Fuchsdh

Minecraft Switch Update in progress

Pretty sure it's not the Better Together update, given all the console versions got an unrelated update that brings 1.11 stuff to those platforms.

It added seven more achievements to the 360 version of the game, so again I have to beat the game for the umpteenth time until they add still more.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Pretty sure it's not the Better Together update, given all the console versions got an unrelated update that brings 1.11 stuff to those platforms.

It added seven more achievements to the 360 version of the game, so again I have to beat the game for the umpteenth time until they add still more.

I know.

It brings Llamas and Parrots. My daughter was super excited for more animals. :p

Heh. Complete opposite for me. I've been waiting for years to be able to play Minecraft with a controller on dedicated servers. Years. This was the best E3 news since my childhood to be honest.
I feel like if I had played a console version first, I'd be fine with controller.. uh.. controls. But I actually learned how to use a keyboard and mouse just to play Minecraft. Like 30 years of not being able to use KB+M for shit and then Minecraft got me so addicted that I learned how. I'm sure with time I'll get used to using a controller (especially now that they made the buttons completely customizable, thank god) but at least for me the learning curve is VERY steep.

Yeah I'm on a Mac too, so that's the only downside of this news. Given that they're supporting iOS, I hope that they end up supporting MacOS too.
I know that iPads can pair with bluetooth keyboards, I wonder if there's any way to make apps for iOS pair with bluetooth mice too? Or is it just not possible/allowed at a system level? Cause if they were able to add an option to the iOS version to use bluetooth KB+M that'd be a preeeeeetty good reason for me to finally update my OG iPad and OG iPad Mini.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
My Windows 10 Edition has static water/lava (no animations).

Is there any fix? It's really bugging me.

I just checked this in mine, and yeah, my W10 version doesn't have water/lava flow animations either, nor sounds. I have also noticed that parrots are missing from the W10 version too, so it's not entirely up to date with the Java version, but parrots and the recipe book are the only things missing I think.

-Minsc-

If legacy Minecraft is becoming the side edition then I may just pay up the server until the end of the year and call it that. Since I know there are people with projects on the go this will at least give a time frame for them to tidy them up (specifically thinking of you Nihon). After that I'll throw the world up on Google Drive or something and people can do with it what they please. Whoever wants to start up a Windows 10 server is free to do so (once again Nihon, a new world would give a fresh canvas to start up smaller projects... obviously).

Come January 1, 2018 this map will turn four years old. It was certainly fun getting spawn ready and all that.

As for GAFland in the new year, there is Sponge. Since it sound like the Java version will lag behind in the future then it may be the perfect time to use such a thing to bring in mods like warp and the like. Of course, someone else will have to manage such a server.

edit:

Hopping onto spawn, to me the place really does feel like an echo of days gone past. One of those things you were a part of, yet can not go back to.

Mengy

If legacy Minecraft is becoming the side edition then I may just pay up the server until the end of the year and call it that. Since I know there are people with projects on the go this will at least give a time frame for them to tidy them up (specifically thinking of you Nihon). After that I'll throw the world up on Google Drive or something and people can do with it what they please. Whoever wants to start up a Windows 10 server is free to do so (once again Nihon, a new world would give a fresh canvas to start up smaller projects... obviously).

Come January 1, 2018 this map will turn four years old. It was certainly fun getting spawn ready and all that.

As for GAFland in the new year, there is Sponge. Since it sound like the Java version will lag behind in the future then it may be the perfect time to use such a thing to bring in mods like warp and the like. Of course, someone else will have to manage such a server.

edit:

Hopping onto spawn, to me the place really does feel like an echo of days gone past. One of those things you were a part of, yet can not go back to.

Four years, holy shit. I've not been on the server lately, I need to log on and do some sightseeing again. I still occasionally play my single player world, but it's soon time for me to start fresh once again. I'm certain I'll be migrating to the W10 version after the update, as I want the better graphics and performance, plus seeing how it will be the main PC version going forward, so the Better Together update is a great time for me to start a brand new world from scratch.

I’m honestly curious to see how the next few months plays out for Minecraft. The linked servers allowing several platforms to play together intrigues me and it sounds great, but I want to see how that is as I'm not entirely sure how it's going to work just yet. I'd love for us to have a NeoGAF world where members can log in and play from PC, Xbox, or Switch, but I really don't know if that would be on the new servers or a realms? Truthfully I don't know much about the Minecraft Realms or how they work, I've just never looked at it too much.

A lot of change coming soon, feels odd, LOL!

molnizzle

I'd love for us to have a NeoGAF world where members can log in and play from PC, Xbox, or Switch, but I really don't know if that would be on the new servers or a realms?

Both. Cross-platform realms are coming with the standard 8-player size limit—but so are normal dedicated servers with no player limit. They announced a handful of initial hosting partners during E3. I imagine GAF will want a standard server rather than a realm.

Articalys

If legacy Minecraft is becoming the side edition

I'm certain I'll be migrating to the W10 version after the update, as I want the better graphics and performance, plus seeing how it will be the main PC version going forward, so the Better Together update is a great time for me to start a brand new world from scratch.
It's been years since I've actually played this game, mostly because my PC is now almost six years old and turns into a jet engine whenever I used to start the launcher, and I actually misclicked into this thread from the Community forum, but remembered I'd seen the news about it during E3 and decided to read the latest page, and saw these notes. Is this true? Anyone on the old standalone launcher is now getting the worse experience? I'm still feeling wary about Win10 given how often I hear about updates breaking stuff.

Sarcasm

It's been years since I've actually played this game, mostly because my PC is now almost six years old and turns into a jet engine whenever I used to start the launcher, and I actually misclicked into this thread from the Community forum, but remembered I'd seen the news about it during E3 and decided to read the latest page, and saw these notes. Is this true? Anyone on the old standalone launcher is now getting the worse experience? I'm still feeling wary about Win10 given how often I hear about updates breaking stuff.

True and false.

Java will always have mods.

So far I haven't seen anything mod wise for the W10 version.

Articalys

True and false.

Java will always have mods.

So far I haven't seen anything mod wise for the W10 version.
How sufficiently powerful of a computer do you need to be able to run the legacy version with/without mods and meet/exceed the performance of the Win10/console versions?

Sarcasm

How sufficiently powerful of a computer do you need to be able to meet/exceed the performance of the Win10/console versions with mods? Without?

The only version with mods isn't W10. Its the java which can play on most PC OS.

The W10 one is not java, it is a form of the pocket edition. The W10 one runs better and will have cross play.

Articalys

The only version with mods isn't W10. Its the java which can play on most PC OS.

The W10 one is not java, it is a form of the pocket edition. The W10 one runs better and will have cross play.
I think I phrased my question wrong; I know mods are only on the original legacy version. Reordered some words to make it clearer.

molnizzle

How sufficiently powerful of a computer do you need to be able to run the legacy version with/without mods and meet/exceed the performance of the Win10/console versions?

Windows 10 performance is a hell of a lot better than Java. It is assumed that the gap will widen even more after the W10 client is updated to the new engine as well.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm pretty excited about the Win10 version's super graphics pack or whatever they're calling it.

Installing shaders and stuff on the Java version is annoying and it is pretty resource-intensive. This W10 verison is going to look and run a million times better right out of the gate.

Now, if only you could mod it for VR...

Crispy75

Honestly this is exactly what I wanted MS to do with Minecraft. A modern engine and cross-platform play. I'm personally not bothered about mods at all, especially when Command Blocks let you do all sorts of powerful things.

But no mac version is :(

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah no Mac version is really stupid. I’d probably switch to it if it let me import my current world. But then it’d have to be identical to the Java version. I assume a few things are different between them which is stupid. I won’t be happy until all versions across all platforms are the same and updated at the same time.

Which probably won’t be for a long time. So Java version for me I guess.

molnizzle

Yeah no Mac version is really stupid. I’d probably switch to it if it let me import my current world. But then it’d have to be identical to the Java version. I assume a few things are different between them which is stupid. I won’t be happy until all versions across all platforms are the same and updated at the same time.

Which probably won’t be for a long time. So Java version for me I guess.

That's exactly what this update is doing. The now-legacy Java version just isn't the primary platform anymore. Going forward, Win10/Xbox/Switch/mobile will be the primary versions that will all be updated at the same time. Java likely a bit behind them.

I'm sure they'll eventually do a macOS version of the Bedrock edition too. Probably just not a priority for initial launch.

Fuchsdh

It's worth pointing out that Java isn't going to be the main version now, it's still likely going to be the only place you get snapshots and the first place a lot of features get tested out. So there are still benefits besides old launchers and mods with remaining on Java for the foreseeable future, especially as long as we don't know details on server customization.

Articalys

So basically, if I want to start playing Minecraft again and don't want a bad experience... better suck it up and upgrade my OS, Win10's problems be damned.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's exactly what this update is doing. The now-legacy Java version just isn't the primary platform anymore. Going forward, Win10/Xbox/Switch/mobile will be the primary versions that will all be updated at the same time. Java likely a bit behind them.

I'm sure they'll eventually do a macOS version of the Bedrock edition too. Probably just not a priority for initial launch.
As long as it eventually gets to a point where every version is updated at the same time. And I can pick up any device I want and connect to my server no matter whether I'm on my MacBook or I'm at work on my iPhone and want to show a friend, or I happen to have it on my Switch or a friend has it on his Xbox or PS4. And I want to not even know that it's not the Java version. I don't use Mods, but I do like what Command Blocks can do and use them occasionally. I'd still want to be able to do everything I can now.

Would I have to buy the game again if a "macOS Version" ever came out? Did Java users on Windows have to re-buy the Windows 10 version? What's its price anymore? I spent $13 on MineCraft in 2010 during the Alpha.

Fuchsdh

As long as it eventually gets to a point where every version is updated at the same time. And I can pick up any device I want and connect to my server no matter whether I'm on my MacBook or I'm at work on my iPhone and want to show a friend, or I happen to have it on my Switch or a friend has it on his Xbox or PS4. And I want to not even know that it's not the Java version. I don't use Mods, but I do like what Command Blocks can do and use them occasionally. I'd still want to be able to do everything I can now.

Would I have to buy the game again if a "macOS Version" ever came out? Did Java users on Windows have to re-buy the Windows 10 version? What's its price anymore? I spent $13 on MineCraft in 2010 during the Alpha.

Java people got the W10 version for free.

Mengy

I spent $13 on MineCraft in 2010 during the Alpha.

You know, I bought the game in the spring (or summer?) of 2010 for $10 during the alpha, and it hasn't cost me a single dime of additional money in all that time (not counting donations to the NeoGAF server of course). Minecraft just might be the single best gaming value for my dollar that I've ever spent, because I literally probably have over a thousand hours played by now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You know, I bought the game in the spring (or summer?) of 2010 for $10 during the alpha, and it hasn't cost me a single dime of additional money in all that time (not counting donations to the NeoGAF server of course). Minecraft just might be the single best gaming value for my dollar that I've ever spent, because I literally probably have over a thousand hours played by now.
That and Spelunky to be honest. I got Spelunky during a Steam sale. I wish I'd paid full price because it was worth it. If Mojang made a macOS native version and charged for it, I'd gladly spend the money, as long as I can do every single thing I can in the Java version at that point and can bring my current world over and run it as a server (Like I do now) that I can access from the native version. I'd even buy the Switch version (When I get a Switch) if it could connect to that same server.

Mik2121

Man, that video linked earlier... I also remember it :_)

I'd love to jump back in (on either Switch or PC) if we all played together again, but I'd rather play on a brand new map. Should we be able to play on the GAF server from a Switch or other platforms that have the Better Together update?

And yeah, I also bought it quite early (near the end of the Alpha I believe?) and only recently spent money on it again by buying the Switch version. Like Mengy, this is probably the best value purchase I've ever done.

I request the ability to use command blocks for my new puzzle, pretty please.

Also, whenever I alt tab from full screen, my video card's fan starts speeding up. Soon as I tab back it goes back to normal speeds. Whyyyy

Does anyone here have a recommended mod/tool for using an Xbox 360 controller on the Windows 7 version of the game? Bought this on a whim and thought the PC version would have controller support by now :/

molnizzle

Does anyone here have a recommended mod/tool for using an Xbox 360 controller on the Windows 7 version of the game? Bought this on a whim and thought the PC version would have controller support by now :/

Only the standard stuff like Xpadder, but it's still gonna be janky as hell.

Windows 10 version has controller support. Since Java is riding off into the sunset, I doubt they'll bother at this point.

Finally set up my home computer and decide to hop on only to be met with, "Registry refers to a nonexistent Java Runtime Enviroment installation or the runtime is corrupt." Go to website to re-download only to find it's a whole new website. I deleted the e-mail associated with the account a year ago thinking I had transferred everything over and I left the bank 5 years ago... Gonna have to fork out $27 for a game I paid $10 for D:

Top Bottom