• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
wpXln5E.png

Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition |OT|

• Publisher: Mojang AB
  • Developer: Mojang AB
  • Designer: Markus "Notch" Persson
  • Platform: Windows, Mac, Linux (Java-based); Xbox 360; iOS, Android
  • Release Date: November 18, 2011 (Windows, Mac, Linux); August 16, 2011 (Xperia Play);
  • October 7, 2011 (Android); November 17, 2011 (iOS); May 9, 2012 (Xbox 360)
  • Price: $26.95
  • Where to buy? Here
  • Current version: 1.8 (September 16, 2014)
  • Official Website

RrmWEv7.png

Minecraft, the PC Gamer UK Game of 2010, is a sandbox building game created by Markus "Notch" Persson
and currently in development by Mojang, a Microsoft owned studio. In the game, players explore
procedurally generated worlds made out of blocks while being able to completely alter everything in them
by removing, combining and placing blocks wherever they want.

Inspired by games such as Dwarf Fortress and Infiminer, Minecraft can be played both in
Single-player, in which players can build their own worlds without the influence of
others, and Multiplayer, in which players can build a community in a world created by their combined efforts.

The worlds are made up of many different kinds of blocks, from Dirt and Stone to Diamond and Gold.
Procedurally generated, they are divided in large or small biomes, such as deserts, glaciers and dense forests.
What they'll become after players start exploring them, though, is completely up to them: they can turn a
mountain range into a huge sugar farm, or the depths of a lake into an underwater metropolis.

Just like most sandbox games, Minecraft doesn't have a clear, specific objective. The main goal is to conquer
the unexplored world and alter it to your will and have the most fun times ever.

YwgEMSJ.png

• Play an ever-changing game - updates with new contents are frequent;
  • Explore procedurally generated worlds that have a size limit of roughly 8 times the size of Earth;
  • Build your fortress to survive; during the night, monsters spawn and come to get you!;
  • Build tools, weapons and useful blocks out of raw materials to help you on your quest;
  • Freedom: spend your days chopping trees, mining underground, or flattening an entire continent;
  • Be creative: build anything from a little hut to a scale model of the Enterprise;
  • Change your game's face with the built-in custom textures and skins feature;
  • Play by your own rules alone, or enjoy the thrill of the Multiplayer mode;
  • Customize your experience with the many community mods available;
  • Explore new lands to expand your domain whenever you want;
  • Grab your old cinema glasses and play in 3D Anaglyph mode on any screen;
  • Enter the alternate dimension called Nether and face its dangers;
  • Create elaborate electric circuits out of Redstone to power your creations;
  • Generate new worlds according to patterns with the seed editor;
  • Play in Peaceful mode without being disturbed by monsters;
  • Face endless possibilities!

3secfkv.png

NeoGAF Minecraft |OT2|

4wXvdJz.png

Video Links

0Z3ajLd.png

• Is there a demo version of the game I can try before buying it?
Yes, there is.

uiXr6o5.png

• The Official NeoCraft Server - Quote the post to see the address here. You must be running Minecraft version 1.8 to log on! (as of 9-17-14)

This is both a survival and creative server. There are columns with buttons at spawn that allow players to switch back and forth from survival to creative at will, allowing people to play however they want to.

• NeoCrack Server - This server is no longer running.

Boooooo I am gonna be in a strop all day now cos you didn't use "Minecraft |OT3| - 11 Million in Sales, and Still a Friggin Java Game" as the topic title ....... time to go and blow Mengy's pyramid thingy up again.

Oh yeah and I didn't know Microsoft had released an Xbox 460 ;) does that have 100 units of more advertising.

Was just about to start playing. I'm not the only one who can't bring himself to start a new world, ever? If I feel like I want to start a whole new world I just pack up on supplies and start running. I just like knowing all the little spots I end up are connected.

Boooooo I am gonna be in a strop all day now cos you didn't use "Minecraft |OT3| - 11 Million in Sales, and Still a Friggin Java Game" as the topic title ....... time to go and blow Mengy's pyramid thingy up again.

Agreed! All that money and the game is still a crappy resource hog of a java game.

*totally not bitter*

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
newb here. is there a link to exactly what is different between all versions?

If you mean the different versions as PC / Phone / Xbox then it's mostly a case of every version except PC having a very limited world and being way behind in updates.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Oh yeah and I didn't know Microsoft had released an Xbox 460 ;) does that have 100 units of more advertising.

Yeah, I really considered using that title, but I wanted something more positive in nature. Even though I am bitter...

I'll fix up the OP towards the end of the week after I get back from vacation.

I saw you guys all talking about seeds in the last thread, I felt the itch and I just started a new Single player world.

Also, as a first time for me, Im playing it hardcore to spice things up.
I cant seem to end my fixation with this game.

Own it for years but every few months is back to building stuff.

Nice OP! :)

I've been on NeoCraft! The past few days I started picking away at my Nether base.

was more referring to other people besides you, jhriad, krovan, etc. i know you and them are there.

(also i admit i havn't been on in a while, but im unfortunately super busy atm.)

Jhriad

oh snap new thread, didn't realize we were close.

also, get off fuckin neocrack, get on the superior vanilla boring server that no one goes to anymore.

Should see more folks on Neocraft as a few of us were out of town over the past week and they should be returning today sometime.

I'm guessing NeoCrack is invite only?

I would've thought Bukkit had released a stable build, I remember them being quite speedy at it.

They released a "developer" version on the 9th July but from what I read it wasn't "great". Multiplay put up a profile with the developer version but they removed it because of various issues.

Hopefully we don't have much longer to wait. Naturally this could be all solved if they would just integrate Bukkit into Minecraft as Mojang keep promising to do with every single bloody version they release.

kinn

Just curious but we just discuss the PC version in this thread? Or is talk allowed of the other versions?

Just curious but we just discuss the PC version in this thread? Or is talk allowed of the other versions?

id say 360 talk is fine here. (unless mengy says otherwise) the 360 version thread isn't very active. i personally don't mind discussing/answering questions about the 360 version here since its the version i started with.

ShadiWulf

moving post over from OT2 >.> lol, i should of paid more attention before posting.

The new zombies in 1.6.2 are pretty crazy. Been busy and haven't been playing Minecraft for a while, just got back into it a few days ago. They weren't a complete shock to me cause i watch some minecraft videos on youtube, but my god, those baby zombies are horrible, so fast and hard to hit, haha, and the big ones just seem to come in swarms! Maybe get back on the neocraft server soon, but busy working on a town with a friend at the moment.

we made some good progress in our town the last two days or so. I built a chu chu sculpture from chu chu rocket in creative mode yesterday, was my first time building art in either 2D or 3D. So i built it in creative mode first cause i had no idea what I was doing. replicating it in survival mode was even harder, but I managed, and fell a lot.

But yeah, I'm pretty happy with the way our town is looking and wanted to share some screens, nothing amazing, but it's only two of us. Not like it's neocraft or anything, and we play in survival mode, cause it's much more fun that way for us.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Thank you for reminding me that it was well over a year I launched Minecraft. I'll download the latest patch now.

Wired

God damn it, just started minecraft again after a seven or eight months break and for some reason there's a bunch of issues with my redstone contraptions. But I just can't figure it out, apparently I've forgotten whatever little I previously knew about the subject, lol. Oh well never mind, I'll leave it for now.

Remind me, I don't have to create a new world for new content right? I'll just have to venture outside my previously explored area? I really like my house and stuff. I don't want to start over :p

troopershades

Neo Member
I'm guessing NeoCrack is invite only?

I would've thought Bukkit had released a stable build, I remember them being quite speedy at it.
Yea I checked the other day and the bukkit site still hasn't released a stable build for the latest update. Blew my mind too. At this rate the mod API won't be out this year either..

Ark

Doesn't look like this thread has been out for a month yet. But I guess there's always one that wants to stop us from enticing GAF into joining the community.

When the server updates to 1.6.2 I'd like to install Multiverse (or whatever the plugin is called) and start up a second map. Ideally for me this map would be survival only, I can't regulate that so it'd be up to you to maintain that pureness. Although I'm open to other ideas if there are any.

Enco

Doesn't look like this thread has been out for a month yet. But I guess there's always one that wants to stop us from enticing GAF into joining the community.

When the server updates to 1.6.2 I'd like to install Multiverse (or whatever the plugin is called) and start up a second map. Ideally for me this map would be survival only, I can't regulate that so it'd be up to you to maintain that pureness. Although I'm open to other ideas if there are any.
I think this fits in the normal gaming section but I expect the thread to be moved as the game is older than a month.

Oh boy, a new thread, finally.

I have been waiting for 1.6.2 to drop to really get cooking on my fortress again, but in case you didn't know, I do a Let's Play from the NeoCraft server on my Youtube channel. It focuses a lot right now around my builds and adventures but I'm planning on recording more group stuff, too. I need to do more with you guys D:

*shamelessplug* youtube.com/nihontiger */shamelessplug*

Anyways, expect to see me more active on there soonish. :)

I'm just posting as a show of support for the game, and in particular, the awesome Gaf community. Despite never having played with you guys, i've always followed these threads and very much enjoy the inspiration, pics, etc...

Now with my Oculus Rift only a couple weeks out, i'm planning on diving back into the game, hardcore. It is already wonderful escapism, and that should take it to the next level. :)

Tiktaalik

Cool that a new thread just popped up. I've been meaning to get back into this game and I am pretty sure a ton has changed since I last played. Maybe could someone who has kept with it could post some of the major changes in major patches?

I think when I stopped the devs had just implemented random towns but had not yet filled them with villagers yet. What's happened of note since then?

-Minsc-

I think this fits in the normal gaming section but I expect the thread to be moved as the game is older than a month.

So much has been added to the game since the last thread was created 2.5-3 years ago so I believe Minecraft deserves a month in the spotlight.

Cool that a new thread just popped up. I've been meaning to get back into this game and I am pretty sure a ton has changed since I last played. Maybe could someone who has kept with it could post some of the major changes in major patches?

I think when I stopped the devs had just implemented random towns but had not yet filled them with villagers yet. What's happened of note since then?

There's a lot to list so you could check out the version history.

Things to note since I've started playing on GAF:

-jungle biome added
-world height doubled
-addition of new blocks (I'll take all the blocks I can get)
-slabs can be placed in the upper in addition to the lower position
-stairs can now be placed upside down and wrap around corners
-overhaul of the item enchanting
-new food types
-new boss
-many changes to the way redstone behaves and new features such as hoppers
-too many little things for me to list

Well we could always knock everyone back into survival mode on the existing world again :-D . I know what a terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible burden being in creative mode has been for everyone ;-)

Still a tad bit miffed that Bukkit is taking so long. Perhaps Mojang could lay off on messing about with crap like "horses" and actually implement Bukkit into the game like they have been promising since the dawn of bloody time.

Morokh

Looks like I'll wait for that to jump back in MC multiplayer then ;)

By not being able to regulate it you mean not be able to have some basic plugins like lockette (or whatever it's called), or just preventing some ranked players to use creative ?

This is exactly what I'm waiting to be able to do on my own server. There's also plugins which allow you to both force different gamemodes on different maps and have separate inventories for creative/survival modes as well as completely separate ones for different maps. I too value that challenge aspect to survival as well as work and dedication on builds in relation to creative. Plus with creative servers you tend to have lots of people just working in pockets instead of collaborating in groups.

Development has been quiet lately (from following Jeb, Dinnerbone's) twitter account.
It seems the Minecraft developers are on vacation every other month.

I'm really awaiting the next big update.. I heard it was going to be biome/ocean related?

Development has been quiet lately (from following Jeb, Dinnerbone's) twitter account.
It seems the Minecraft developers are on vacation every other day.

I'm really awaiting the next big update.. I heard it was going to be biome/ocean related?

Sure hope so, as ocean biomes are just a huge boring pain in the ass atm. Some form of aquatic transportation, underwater dungeons, coral reefs with new mats and mobs, plenty of stuff they could do to make things interesting.

EDIT: fishing could use an overhaul as well, maybe even some kind of water turbine to generate redstone power from flowing water and/or create a flow valve.

Top Bottom