• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: shit just got hardcore

Salsa

Notch just tweeted this

jCYC1.png

game reaaaally needed something like this dammit. Roguelike minecraft here we go.

I remember something like this mentioned a LONG time ago, but i guess this means its finally coming.

Salsa

its kinda ridiculous that it took this long. Considering how the game has a strong fear factor when it comes to exploring at night, something like this was really needed IMO.

upandaway

I need it to immediately spawn me in a new world upon death. That would be crazy.

Add some sort of structure and I'm in.

Drazgul

SalsaShark said:
its kinda ridiculous that it took this long. Considering how the game has a strong fear factor when it comes to exploring at night, something like this was really needed IMO.

Exploring at night? Pfft, being unwary during daytime is much worse I've found. I never get jumped on when I'm careful at night, but those damn creepers always manage to sneak up to me during the day. :p

NBtoaster

I feel that some of the suspense and tension was lost when you could change your spawn point. This will certainly bring it back.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This is a game changer. Usually I'm not masochistic enough to get into these 'one death' style modes, but its a perfect concept for Minecraft, especially since I've never been a fan of traditional survival anyway.

Enk

makes good threads.
Now Minecraft is starting to speak my language. Permadeath will probably be the tipping point for me to finally delve into this.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
My "Walk 500 paces, look directly down and dig until you are in a cave" playstyle will be even more interesting now.

Branduil

You could always just stop playing in that game when you die. But I guess this helps you resist the temptation to keep playing.

XeroSauce

Branduil said:
You could always just stop playing in that game when you die. But I guess this helps you resist the temptation to keep playing.
There was an excellent article on PC Gamer about just that, but I wanted to wait for a few more of the big features to make it in (Enderman changes, NPC's, possibly quests).

Point being, Minecraft is nearly perfect for a roguelike because it can be played as either a full creative mode, full hardcore "I can only swing my sword", or anywhere in between. This makes challenges like one-day scavenge and solar apocalypse even better.

Enk

makes good threads.
Branduil said:

Not quite the same feeling. Artificially placing objectives doesn't give the same tension as knowing the game is going to fuck you over if you fail.

Grinchy

Banned
lol fuck that

I actually very rarely die in Minecraft anymore, but I don't want one slip up while mining to cost me 70 hours of collecting and building.

L00P

I guess it would be more thrilling, but the only thing that kills me in Minecraft nowadays is lava.

Fucking lava, man. Somehow I always find new ways to fall into a lava pit.

So this game is played with some sort of central server connection such that permadeath can be enforced? Like relating it to roguelikes where people can always back up a save if they're playing locally, but not so if they're SSHing to a server.

Drazgul

slidewinder said:
So this game is played with some sort of central server connection such that permadeath can be enforced?

Of course not - the permadeath will be singleplayer only so those who are backing up their saves are only cheating themselves of the experience.

DiscoJer

Branduil said:

Exactly. It's ironic that in order for it to be "hardcore", the game basically has to hold your hand and quit/delete the save for you.

Because otherwise people can't resist the temptation...

slidewinder said:
So this game is played with some sort of central server connection such that permadeath can be enforced? Like relating it to roguelikes where people can always back up a save if they're playing locally, but not so if they're SSHing to a server.
No, it has only one save game per world and I imagine that gets deleted as soon as you die. Backing your save up would be pretty schizophrenic.

This is a great new feature taking the survival mode to another level. Exploring caves and mineshafts with hardcore mode on will be great.

Drazgul said:
Of course not - the permadeath will be singleplayer only so those who are backing up their saves are only cheating themselves of the experience.
Oh, ok. Thanks, I don't know where I got that idea; I don't really know anything about the game other than what I've read.

Salsa

DiscoJer said:
Exactly. It's ironic that in order for it to be "hardcore", the game basically has to hold your hand and quit/delete the save for you.

Because otherwise people can't resist the temptation...

Its not a matter of temptation after you die, its a matter of how you feel when you are playing the game. Being your choice will never give you the same amount of adrenaline trying to save your stuff that if you dont have any say over it.

If you take what youre saying to a more obvious level then you could argue that any game wich anyone says its too easy could be IMMEDIATLY HARDCORE if you limit yourself to turn off the console every time you get hit or something. It doesnt work like that.

Zaptruder

Banned
I've always liked the idea of hardcore, but it's really too hardcore for most.

A good compromise is a life system.

3 lives and dead.

It still gives weight and consequences to actions and threats, but it's not quite so bad that it makes you paranoid.

Additionally, there could be a system for earning lives - but the trick is balancing it such a way as to not trivialize the life system. Something like only 3 earnable per game; maybe one is found by digging/harvesting for it, another is awarded upon a certain achievement (killing X mobs), and the last; maybe uploading your world/creation and getting a certain amount of downloads/ratings.

Alex

Self-imposed restrictions are goofy, clunky and lame, I want the game to work against me not to work against myself. Interesting game play avenues and discussions always will pop up from a genuine article as well as opposed to the crazy dude on Youtube who formats his computer upon making a mistake.

Zaptruder said:

3 lives and dead.

It still gives weight and consequences to actions and threats, but it's not quite so bad that it makes you paranoid.

Additionally, there could be a system for earning lives - but the trick is balancing it such a way as to not trivialize the life system. Something like only 3 earnable per game; maybe one is found by digging/harvesting for it, another is awarded upon a certain achievement (killing X mobs), and the last; maybe uploading your world/creation and getting a certain amount of downloads/ratings.

I don't mind if they had something like that but for me personally that sounds horrible. To me the appeal of hardcore mode is knowing that i only have one chance. Feeling paranoid is a good thing and it's what i like about hardcore modes.

Yeah that is probably too hardcore for most but this isn't intended for most people.

Haunted

This might be just the kick in the dick in the balls I needed to get myself into overdrift back into the game. A forced cycle of restarting and exploring anew might actually be a positive thing for my Minecraft experience.

The more likely alternative being ragequitting and never touching the game again after stupidly falling off some tower.

Fall damage needs to be modified for that shit.

Wallach

Haunted said:
This might be just the kick in the dick in the balls I needed to get myself into overdrift back into the game. A forced cycle of restarting and exploring anew might actually be a positive thing for my Minecraft experience.

The more likely alternative being ragequitting and never touching the game again after stupidly falling off some tower.

Fall damage needs to be modified for that shit.

I agree. Jensen away.

EUGH - auuuuuuuuugh~

Haunted

Zaptruder said:

3 lives and dead.

That's not a terrible idea.

1 life but 3 earnable lives per world. One by exploring your world - I'm thinking the vault/throne room of one of those automatically generated fortresses - one by exploring the Nether and the last for mining each type of block, using each type of tool and crafting each type of item at least once.

If Mojang were EA/Activision you could buy additional lives via microtransactions

/devil's advocate

Zaptruder

Banned
AdventureRacing said:
I don't mind if they had something like that but for me personally that sounds horrible. To me the appeal of hardcore mode is knowing that i only have one chance. Feeling paranoid is a good thing and it's what i like about hardcore modes.

Yeah that is probably too hardcore for most but this isn't intended for most people.

Games and options should always be more inclusive where they can without compromising too significantly on the original benefits of the design.

Even without the option of varying number of lives (e.g. hard hardcore = 1 life, normal hardcore = 3, easy hardcore = 5), killing yourself a couple times right out of the gate is easier to swallow than dying 70 hours into a world over a mistake or unfortunate circumstance.

panty

This is excellent news. I thought about playing Minecraft today after a while and this makes me want to keep playing it. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for this to be implemented.

Top Bottom