• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Super Duper Graphics Pack Ceasing Development

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Two years later, it should be cancelled by now since it obviously wasn't working as intended.

stranno

I used to play quite a bit with the Sonic Ether's shaders back in the day.

But, in the end, only the original shading and the original texture pack look fine for me, they just fit perfectly.

"We were unable to implement what modders have been doing for 5 years. Sorry eh"
Mods arent always stable though and they can break things. It probably wasnt worth spending money on a big team to figure it out since the people that care likely play the PC version. Not even sure why they bothered to begin with. I've never heard anyone that likes the game complain about the graphics.

iconmaster

Banned
If this game weren't so utterly dominant it would have received a graphics boost a long time ago.

Programmer art is good enough, it seems.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The curious thing was that there never was a technical reason preventing this pack from being released independently from the "better together" update.

The politics behind the announcement were very transparent.

Apparently there is now, on all their platforms.
390904.jpg

Knightime_X

Just make Minecraft 2 then.
Get away from the old engine and work on something more capable.

Everyone will say it's not needed but will buy it anyways. Myself included.

Reactions: Isa

Stitch

Gold Member
They already moved away from the old java engine years ago when the game was ported to other systems and now every version is running on their Bedrock engine.

Sure, they could've just released this only for PC but their plan was to release this graphical update for every platform. Looks like they couldn't optimize it enough for every system (like smartphones or the switch).

ultrazilla

This sucks. The only good news is that you *KNOW* we'll get 4k/super duper graphics packs/ray-tracing support in Minecraft 2. Cheers!:messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:
I don't understand, were they trying to make it work on all devices? If that's the case, then what a stupid route to go. Just release it for PC, X1X, and PS4 Pro and be done (or was it a problem within those--aka consoles?)

Shifty

I cannot roll my eyes hard enough at the idea that a company with as much heft as Microsoft can't deliver anything here.
Zip. Zilch. Nada. Not even a "it's not quite as great as what we promised but here you go".

Last edited:
I don't understand why they would cease on this when they could probably implement this in Scarrlet and PS5 with no problems compared to this current gen. Who knows

McCheese

Didn't they try to guilt Sony into supporting cross-play by saying their edition wouldn't get this otherwise? then it turns out their own base hardware is too weaksauce to handle it.

Microsoft 2019, just like Microsoft 2018, and 2017...

Last edited:

Shifty

The rest of the article said:
We realise this is disappointing to some of you – there was a lot of enthusiasm for Super Duper from inside and outside the studio – but unfortunately, we aren’t happy with how the pack performed across devices. For this reason, we're stopping development on the pack, and looking into other ways for you to experience Minecraft with a new look.

Minecraft is available on a wide range of platforms, and we’re constantly trying to make the most of the technical architecture of each one. We’ll be able to share more on that subject very soon.
So TL;DR we couldn't make it work on mobile and thus refused to ship it.

A.K.A. "we don't know what variable graphics settings are"

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Didn't they try to guilt Sony into supporting cross-play by saying their edition wouldn't get this otherwise? then it turns out their own base hardware is too weaksauce to handle it.

Microsoft 2019, just like Microsoft 2018, and 2017...

That is exactly what happened. Had people PR'ing and fanning he flames for them. Mega threads, articles, etc..

And in the end, nobody gets it.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Well, that's not a very good look for them. Too bad, I was really looking forward to it. Though I still don't own a single copy of Minecraft. I feel... alone.

Three

I cannot roll my eyes hard enough at the idea that a company with as much heft as Microsoft can't deliver anything here.
Zip. Zilch. Nada. Not even a "it's not quite as great as what we promised but here you go".
Oh they will. It's just likely been renamed to Minecraft 2 for maximum profit. To be announced E3 2020.

Mattyp

Gold Member

I have no doubt a stronger PC can run this pack, can a switch? No, can a mobile? No. Can an xbox one outside the X? Very questionable.

We’ll get this pack next gen. But then that splits the user base on the most popular title ever. No idea what to do here, optionable download pack for next gen and PC I guess.

Woo-Fu

Banned
"We were unable to implement what modders have been doing for 5 years. Sorry eh"
Not only that, the modders have grafted it onto the java version. Should have been a piece of cake on the windows store version, at least in terms of achieving acceptable performance.

Knightime_X

They already moved away from the old java engine years ago when the game was ported to other systems and now every version is running on their Bedrock engine.

Sure, they could've just released this only for PC but their plan was to release this graphical update for every platform. Looks like they couldn't optimize it enough for every system (like smartphones or the switch).
They really shouldn't cancel it because a phone can't match playstation 5 or anything stronger than mobile.
Make those the exception and continue to March onward to whatever best enables their graphical goal.

Vawn

Banned

It would be a mistake to ever make a Minecraft 2 imo. At least until the day that Minecraft loses its grip, which I can not see happening.

Shifty

I have no doubt a stronger PC can run this pack, can a switch? No, can a mobile? No. Can an xbox one outside the X? Very questionable.

We’ll get this pack next gen. But then that splits the user base on the most popular title ever. No idea what to do here, optionable download pack for next gen and PC I guess.
As it stands evidently the answer those questions was 'no', but that doesn't mean they couldn't have shipped something. I feel like the only people expecting them to ship top end PC/console graphics universally here were MS themselves- a bump in relative terms would probably have sufficed.

Oh they will. It's just likely been renamed to Minecraft 2 for maximum profit. To be announced E3 2020.
And now we wait and see if Hytale beats them to market :unsure:

Last edited:

Three

Ok but so what? Why can't there be different graphical settings. It's not like people aren't already playing with graphical mods on other systems.

Keihart

With the amount of systemic shit they have added over the years i find it hard to believe that they can make a new comparable game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
also lol as they used this news to sell minecraft on switch.. reason i got it.
fucking dirty PR

-edit- fuck man i am legit pissed off

-new edit- fuck i am still angry as hell

-newest edit- comment on my post made me realize i am still super duper angry

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
also lol as they used this news to sell minecraft on switch.. reason i got it.
fucking dirty PR

-edit- fuck man i am legit pissed off

-new edit- fuck i am still angry as hell

Forgot about that at the time as well in their now seemingly Trojan horse campaign.

Last edited:

Tumle

Why would a graphical update split the user base?
Can people playing on low settings on PC, only play against other people with low settings in games?

they should have released it for the systems that could handle it.. but maybe that would have been another PR nightmare, since they promised it for everything except PS4..

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Why would a graphical update split the user base?
Can people playing on low settings on PC, only play against other people with low settings in games?

they should have released it for the systems that could handle it.. but maybe that would have been another PR nightmare, since they promised it for everything except PS4..
they sold it as a go for the switch too that is just fing dirty

Mattyp

Gold Member
Ok but so what? Why can't there be different graphical settings. It's not like people aren't already playing with graphical mods on other systems.

? When did I say there couldn't be ? I have a feeling we'll get this next gen when the user base won't be as split as only shipping on one system.

That's exactly why they didn't launching this only on PC would of pissed off everyone else so just bin it instead. Pretty disappointing tbh Majong should of probably had a few beta plays before announcing it for everyone.

FranXico

It isn't dead. It's called Minecraft 2.
Mojang said:
We realise this is disappointing to some of you – there was a lot of enthusiasm for Super Duper from inside and outside the studio – but unfortunately, we aren’t happy with how the pack performed across devices. For this reason, we're stopping development on the pack, and looking into other ways for you to experience Minecraft with a new look.

And of course it will never come out on PS5.

I can’t wait for Hytale. It genuinely looks like what Minecraft should’ve been by now. Even with all the wildlife, sea animals, etc Minecraft still feels lifeless without mods. I hopped onto my family realm and saw a cat spinning around in circles at my farm wall. It was trying to path through the wall but couldn’t do it got stuck spinning around. So basically, the AI is retarded and really makes the game feel bland.

Don’t get me wrong - I’m setting up a Minecraft Java Edition server for GAF, but it’s going to be modded because vanilla just isn’t all that great. It’s okay for about a week, then you get bored because the closest village is somewhere 1000+ blocks away and even then the villagers are only useful if you force them to be certain professions so you can grind gear.

Minecraft needs more bosses, more mobs, and definitely seasons. If I’m in a forest biome it should have a chance to snow. Not just rain and the occasional thunderstorm. There should be more dangers like tornadoes and maybe wildfires. Animals like bears, deer, moose, and lions. Sea creatures like otters, sharks, and whales.

Vawn

Banned
MS is really great at mining PR and hype out of things that never come out.

This.

How many times are they going to spend multiple E3 conferences hyping games that end up being canceled (and some that probably should have been canceled)?

They obviously know the development of these projects aren't going well. Is it really worth the short-term hype to have something to show even when they know they're just making the inevitable disappointment all the worse?

Last edited:

Klayzer

Looks like Microsoft had an epiphany and realized, why waste more development time and money on the original Minecraft when those resources could be going to the next gen Minecraft game. Looking back on the outrage from the gaming media, about how bad a look it was for Sony for not having crossplay, so that all consoles could play with the super update is pretty funny now.

Stitch

Gold Member
So TL;DR we couldn't make it work on mobile and thus refused to ship it.

A.K.A. "we don't know what variable graphics settings are"
Minecraft actually does have graphic setting on all systems for stuff like lightning, draw distance, field of view,...

Stitch

Gold Member
Looking back on the outrage from the gaming media, about how bad a look it was for Sony for not having crossplay, so that all consoles could play with the super update is pretty funny now.
It wasn't for the super update, it was for the Better Together update.

And it's stil stupid that Sony was against it.
I have a realm and I can connect to it with my Switch, my PC and my Smartphone.

Top Bottom