• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Super Duper Graphics Pack Ceasing Development

Dr.brain64

"We were unable to implement what modders have been doing for 5 years. Sorry eh"

Right on point. Another hint for me to believe that developing for anything windows 10 architecture is horribly bad. Incredibly ridiculous when you realize it's coming from first party...

FranXico

Right on point. Another hint for me to believe that developing for anything windows 10 architecture is horribly bad. Incredibly ridiculous when you realize it's coming from first party...
Windows has its issues, but it's clear the performance issues are more of an excuse than anything else. They are going to use this work for Minecraft 2, which won't need to support weaker or "legacy" platforms.

Shifty

Minecraft actually does have graphic setting on all systems for stuff like lightning, draw distance, field of view,...
And yet they couldn't leverage that framework in order to ship more extensive graphics settings with sensible per-platform limits :unsure:

Grinchy

Banned
I wonder how else they'll use Minecraft to pad out their E3 conference when they know that what they're showing will never be touched by a consumer.

Stitch

Gold Member
It was made very clear that the Super Duper pack was to require the Better Together update.
Well, yeah. Because for Better Together (Crossplay) they had to upgrade every version to the Bedrock engine. Sony didn't want Crossplay to protect kids from... playing with others.. I guess? So they wouldn't have received Super Duper anyways.

Vawn

Banned
Windows has its issues, but it's clear the performance issues are more of an excuse than anything else. They are going to use this work for Minecraft 2, which won't need to support weaker or "legacy" platforms.

There isn't going to be a Minecraft 2.

Minecraft has achieved status higher than your typical game. Giving it a numbered sequel would only weaken the brand. New ideas, modes and even graphic packs will continue to be rolled into the base game, just like it has always been.

Last edited:

Hudo

Actually, developing for Windows 10 nowadays is quite more comfortable than to develop for Linux-based systems. At least if you need to render/implement a graphics stack.
Not that it makes a difference to this cancellation, though...

FranXico

There isn't going to be a Minecraft 2.

Minecraft has achieved status higher than your typical game. Giving it a numbered sequel would only weaken the brand. New ideas, modes and even graphic packs will continue to be rolled into the base game, just like it has always been.
Gears 5, Forza 8, Halo 6.
What do you think is going to happen to Minecraft?

Nero_PR

Banned
"We were unable to implement what modders have been doing for 5 years. Sorry eh"
Now that I think about it. Game development is hard but the things some modders can do that the developers can't or won't is because of the difference in Passion for the project. I can see that something like this is too demanding and not worth the effort for the developer. They would rather be doing something that costs less, brings more money or something totally new.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Gears 5, Forza 8, Halo 6.
What do you think is going to happen to Minecraft?

Fortnite, WoW, CS, DoD, PubG.

There’s so many generational games now, sequels weaken a brand, minecraft is one of the most valuable gaming IPs in existence if not the most. Our kids will be playing this in another 10 years with enhancements like Vawn stated. Microsoft will still continue to give this title to PlayStation it’s that valuable as a whole on every platform.

We’ll see spin offs exclusive but the mainstay title is here to stay with no sequel. I would put the house on it.

Tumle

Well, yeah. Because for Better Together (Crossplay) they had to upgrade every version to the Bedrock engine. Sony didn't want Crossplay to protect kids from... playing with others.. I guess? So they wouldn't have received Super Duper anyways.
And why didn’t they upgrade the PS4 version to the bedrock engine with out crossplay implemented in that version?
Wouldn’t it be easier to roll out on all platforms instead of having to have a second team update the PS4 version?
Not trying to defend Sony on there stupid decision on not letting crossplay on Minecraft be a thing.
But the stupid argument from MS is just as dumb..

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And why didn’t they upgrade the PS4 version to the bedrock engine with out crossplay implemented in that version?
Wouldn’t it be easier to roll out on all platforms instead of having to have a second team update the PS4 version?
Not trying to defend Sony on there stupid decision on not letting crossplay on Minecraft be a thing.
But the stupid argument from MS is just as dumb..

Especially then they all claim crossplay, 'is just flicking a switch'. So keep the switch off, derp!

It was a PR strong-arm.

Last edited:
I can’t wait for Hytale. It genuinely looks like what Minecraft should’ve been by now. Even with all the wildlife, sea animals, etc Minecraft still feels lifeless without mods. I hopped onto my family realm and saw a cat spinning around in circles at my farm wall. It was trying to path through the wall but couldn’t do it got stuck spinning around. So basically, the AI is retarded and really makes the game feel bland.

Don’t get me wrong - I’m setting up a Minecraft Java Edition server for GAF, but it’s going to be modded because vanilla just isn’t all that great. It’s okay for about a week, then you get bored because the closest village is somewhere 1000+ blocks away and even then the villagers are only useful if you force them to be certain professions so you can grind gear.

Minecraft needs more bosses, more mobs, and definitely seasons. If I’m in a forest biome it should have a chance to snow. Not just rain and the occasional thunderstorm. There should be more dangers like tornadoes and maybe wildfires. Animals like bears, deer, moose, and lions. Sea creatures like otters, sharks, and whales.
The hype for Hytale is real.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
MICROSOFT E3 2015

hololens-minecraft-e3-2015-1-980x420.png

MICROSOFT E3 2017

SUMMER 2019:

- Hololens Minecraft: no product
- Graphics Pack: canceled

725_bsod_1484136475.jpg

Every damn time Microsoft puts out some smoke & mirrors demo (scan your skateboard or anything into Kinect! / look, a projector extends the 360 games across your living room! / etc etc) it's a scam, without exception. Why do they continue to get these ridiculous hype articles in all the tech media for it every time? There's never a real product behind it, it's always just another PR scam and then another internal project to defund / tank quietly in a couple years.

Top Bottom