• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition Breaks Digital Sales Records

Major Nelson

It’s official: Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition has has broken all previous Xbox LIVE Arcade digital sales records, selling more than any other title in the first 24 hours on Xbox LIVE Arcade. I just looked at the leaderboards and there are over 400,000 people playing…so that will give you an idea at how well it is doing.

First Trials Evo breaks records now Minecraft shatters it. XBLA is on fire.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Those exclusives are paying off for MS for sure.

Although with how Journey did, it's good times in the PSN/XBLA market in general. Sorry Nintendo.

Probably my favourite game of the generation. My first day of playing the PC version was one of the most intense, absorbing survival horror videogame experiences I've ever known.

Being lost in a Minecraft night, desperately trying to get back to your safe place while monsters swarm in from every direction, is an incredible experience.

Glad to see it achieving success on consoles too.

Fantastic news- a great game getting more exposure does not hurt. Another reason why XBLA has been my favorite "console" this generation.

meppi

Holy crap! I didn't expect it to nearly quadruple the Trials Evolution numbers!

Have downloaded the trial but haven't played it yet. So I might be picking up a copy of this myself coming weekend. :)

Glad to see DD games getting higher sales and popularity. Hopefully this will continue and we can finally see a healthy $15 -$25 price point in the marketplace.

NewFresh

SI6eJ.jpg

Huh, thought they'd be putting out a bigger press release considering what Notch was saying on Twitter.

Awesome news all the same, well done to Mojang & 4JStudios!

Good news for Minecraft and Trials! Even I Am Alive did really well I think.

Haven't bought a retail game this year. Just XBLA and PSN. By the time I want to get into any retail game it'll have landed on GoD.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have the PC version, but never got into it because of the lack of explanation on how to do anything.

Played the XBLA demo last night and played until the time ran out. I love the fact that they added tutorials, and added the "cookbook" on how to make items.

May be buying this now.

good.

All the talk about it actually got me to buy the PC version. :D

But serious talk.. there was chatter of XBLA not being the money maker it once was with the rise of Steam and iOS in the last few years. + MS making the interface more sucky with each update.

Hopefully more games like Trials Rev and Minecraft keep peoples eyes on the platform and help some of the smaller games sell.

Its nice that this multi million selling game can sell a few more copies but its the games from smaller unknown teams I really want to see succeed.

Also Fez, Trials Revolution and Minecraft? quite a few months for XBLA if you think about it.

Maybe 3 of the best games ever on the service out only a few months apart.

verbum

What a stupid announcement to make with no sales figures. We already knew how many people were on the leaderboards.

Define "stupid". As in a PR statement based on flimsy evidence is stupid? Or as that game has "stupid" sales? Or as it is a very slow news week for the xbox PR team, so they will go to stupid lengths to conjure up something and justify their salary (may be the same as the first scenario).

I just can't like Minecraft. Tried the demo yesterday and couldn't play it for more than 5 minutes. Maybe I'm crazy, but I just can't get to like it.

ironcreed

Banned
I have watched a good bit of footage of this and it just does not jive with me. What do you do, just collect materials and build shit until you have to hide at night from monsters? Then wait until daylight and rinse/repeat? What am I missing? I need to try the trial, I guess.

VariantX

Actually playing the trial on xbla kind of hooked me a little. Theres so much satisfaction in doing little things like digging a moat around your little shelter for no other reason except that you can. Now that my pc parts are on their way, ill be buying this soon enough for it. Was so absorbed in doing things that i didnt even realize it was a timed demo.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Those exclusives are paying off for MS for sure.

Although with how Journey did, it's good times in the PSN/XBLA market in general. Sorry Nintendo.

Now Minecraft is exclusive? It looks just like a PC game I saw. I still don't under stand why people play it. You build worlds with boxes and then do?

Define "stupid". As in a PR statement based on flimsy evidence is stupid? Or as that game has "stupid" sales? Or as it is a very slow news week for the xbox PR team, so they will go to stupid lengths to conjure up something and justify their salary (may be the same as the first scenario).

It just seems a bit silly saying "Minecraft broke all the records! But we're not going to tell you by how much or anything."

It's like they want to give us the information without giving us the information.

verbum

I have watched a good bit of footage of this and it just does not jive with me. What do you do, just collect materials and build shit until you have to hide at night from monsters? Then wait until daylight and rinse/repeat? What am I missing? I need to try the trial, I guess.

Kind of like making cool stuff with Legos while your friend attacks you with his monster collection. Never played something similar as a kid? You can get very creative as you get deeper into it.
Toy Soldiers and Halo Wars were fun, they took me back to my childhood.

ironcreed

Banned
Kind of like making cool stuff with Legos while your friend attacks you with his monster collection. Never played something similar as a kid? You can get very creative as you get deeper into it.
Toy Soldiers and Halo Wars were fun, they took me back to my childhood.

I suppose it is just one of those things you have to try for yourself before it really clicks or not. I'll check it out at some point.

UraMallas

Glad to see DD games getting higher sales and popularity. Hopefully this will continue and we can finally see a healthy $15 -$25 price point in the marketplace.

You are rooting for games to increase in price. What am I hearing?

Also Fez, Trials Revolution and Minecraft? quite a few months for XBLA if you think about it.

Maybe 3 of the best games ever on the service out only a few months apart.

They all came out in a 30 day period, I'm pretty sure.

Great numbers for Minecraft. I've only just starting playing it but I get the hype.

Top Bottom