• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minerva's Den Added to Steam. GFWL/Securom removed from Bioshock 2

Grief.exe

If you own Bioshock 2, you now own the DLC automatically. Controller support should be added, they were working on a depot with the title controller support for about a month, with the title eventually being changed to approved.

Original Thread: Steam Versions Batman:AA/AC & Bioshock 2 Adding Achievements, Removing GFWL/Securom?
Steam Data Base Page: http://steamdb.info/app/8850/#section_history

http://store.steampowered.com/news/11567/

Hey BioShock 2 fans!

In August, the Games For Windows LIVE service marketplace closed and some of you wondered what would happen to BioShock 2 on PC. We remain committed to supporting BioShock 2 on PC and are excited to announce that starting today the game is available via Steam. Not only that, but the Steam version of BioShock 2 includes all available multiplayer downloadable content, as well as the single player “Protector Trials” DLC, for $19.99!

With the help of our friends at Digital Extremes, BioShock 2 on Steam fully supports popular features of the platform, including controller compatibility, Steam achievements, and Big Picture mode. Matchmaking is easier than ever now, allowing you to search for “any game,” as opposed to having to select your game mode. Leveling up is also quicker and easier, as we’ve fine-tuned the multiplayer experience to be better than ever.

If you have already purchased BioShock 2 through a different digital partner, we’ve got you covered. Simply take the same game activation key you already own and “activate” it within Steam. Doing this will grant you access to BioShock 2, all of its multiplayer and Protector Trials DLC, as well as Minerva’s Den – the single player story-driven add-on that includes new weapons, enemies, and plasmids!

For more information on BioShock 2 on Steam, you can visit: http://2kgam.es/bioshock2steam

-- 2K Games

Optimizing The Game

FOV

• Windows Key + R, type %appdata%, navigate to Bioshock2Steam folder
  • Open User.ini
  • Find [Default] Section
  • Find a key binding you wish to set for your FOV, type SetFOV # (# being your desired FOV, 90-100 for 16:9)
  • Example: PageUp=SetFOV 95
  • Need to press the key every time you load the game

AF

• Navigate to your installation folder, Steam/steamapps/common/Bioshock 2
  • /SP/Builds/Binaries
  • Open Default.ini
  • Find Levelofanisotropy=#, change #to 16

Disable Auto-Aim

• Windows Key + R, type %appdata%, navigate to Bioshock2Steam folder
  • Open Bioshock2SP.ini
  • AutoAim=False

Disable Mouse Acceleration

Here's a fix for you guys. If you remember the old mouse acceleration fix from the first Bioshock, it's exactly the same trick. I know there's toggle for Mouse Acceleration in the options menu, but it still feels janky, this will eliminate that feeling.

Navigate to C:\Users\YourNameHere\AppData\Roaming\Bioshock2Steam\User.ini
Grief.exe note: Windows Key + R Type %appdata%

Add this to the end of the file:

[Engine.PlayerInput]
MouseSmoothingMode=0
MouseAccelThreshold=0.0
Go to your bindings under the [Default] section and choose a key to bind this command:
set Engine.PlayerInput MouseAccelThreshold 0.0 | set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSmoothingMode 0

Now you'll have to press that key every time you load a save so the easiest thing to do is bind it to the same key as MoveForward. If you use WASD, that should look like this:

W=MoveForward | set Engine.PlayerInput MouseAccelThreshold 0.0 | set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSmoothingMode 0

Search for every instance of

Speed=2000.0

and change that number to something much lower. 750 feels good to me. You'll still be able tweak the mouse sensitivity with the slider in game. If you did that all correctly, then mouse controls should feel pretty good.

Now if you want bind Walk and Eve Reloading, just pick a key and add "Walking" and "InjectBioAmmo" without the quotation marks. For me, it looks like this:

Q=InjectBioAmmo
Ctrl=Walking

Check PC Gaming Wiki for more information: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/BioShock_2

Crash Fixes

Another fix for the DX10 crashes, apparently it's caused by a windows update.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/8850/discussions/0/846966336225340804/

Updates/Relevant Information

On top of that, just checked my retail BS2 key, activates in Steam now
Retail key activates Minerva's Den DLC onto your account as well.

They removed the show keys on startup and in the Windows registry, Batman: Arkham City did the same thing.

Having a key is a requirement for both GFWL and Securom. This could be great news indeed.

Unfortunately, the GFWL installation path is still in the registry app.

less than a minute ago Removed SupportsCDKeyCopyToClipboard – 1
less than a minute ago Removed ShowCDKeyOnLaunch – 1
less than a minute ago Removed LegacyKeyRegistryLocation – HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\TestApp8850\SteamKey
less than a minute ago Removed LegacyKeyRegistrationMethod – registry

2 minutes ago Changed controller_support – none › full

8e97255da980a5e8e81fewzatu.png

CONFIRMED!
I got an achievement.

64iCYW7.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/news/11567/

Hey BioShock 2 fans!

In August, the Games For Windows LIVE service marketplace closed and some of you wondered what would happen to BioShock 2 on PC. We remain committed to supporting BioShock 2 on PC and are excited to announce that starting today the game is available via Steam. Not only that, but the Steam version of BioShock 2 includes all available multiplayer downloadable content, as well as the single player “Protector Trials” DLC, for $19.99!

With the help of our friends at Digital Extremes, BioShock 2 on Steam fully supports popular features of the platform, including controller compatibility, Steam achievements, and Big Picture mode. Matchmaking is easier than ever now, allowing you to search for “any game,” as opposed to having to select your game mode. Leveling up is also quicker and easier, as we’ve fine-tuned the multiplayer experience to be better than ever.

If you have already purchased BioShock 2 through a different digital partner, we’ve got you covered. Simply take the same game activation key you already own and “activate” it within Steam. Doing this will grant you access to BioShock 2, all of its multiplayer and Protector Trials DLC, as well as Minerva’s Den – the single player story-driven add-on that includes new weapons, enemies, and plasmids!

For more information on BioShock 2 on Steam, you can visit: http://2kgam.es/bioshock2steam

-- 2K Games

From the Steam storefront:

"Updated

This bundle also includes the Sinclair Solutions Test Pack, Rapture Metro Map Pack, Kill ‘em Kindly, Zigo & Blanche multiplayer characters, and The Protector Trials. Requires the full game to play."

Fitz

Sweet, I knew it was a good idea to hold off on continuing the series after finishing no.1 a few weeks back.

Nokterian

I also see that Steam Achievements have been added!

But i see on the store page that Securom is still there....is this true?

fantomena

Awesomesauce! I never even bought Minervas Den from the GFWL store. Why? because of some fucking shitty error message and slow pice of shit.

Begaria

Time to reinstall Bioshock 2 then. You know what? I liked the single player campaign. Sure, people call it an unnecessary sequel, but it had a ton of gameplay mechanic improvements over the first Bioshock, and the story was ok!

Could've done without the multiplayer though.

Grief.exe

That's pretty badass, actually.

Hoping they removed GFWL too so I can actually be bothered to play through it. :)

They removed the show keys on startup and in the Windows registry, Batman: Arkham City did the same thing.

Having a key is a requirement for both GFWL and Securom. This could be great news indeed.

Unfortunately, the GFWL installation path is still in the registry app.

less than a minute ago Removed SupportsCDKeyCopyToClipboard – 1
less than a minute ago Removed ShowCDKeyOnLaunch – 1
less than a minute ago Removed LegacyKeyRegistryLocation – HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\TestApp8850\SteamKey
less than a minute ago Removed LegacyKeyRegistrationMethod – registry

Fantasmo

Controller support?

Angel Abaddon

On top of that, just checked my retail BS2 key, activates in Steam now
I can confirm this.
My copy was from Gamefly downloads, and it activated on Steam just now.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Is that why I just finished downloading Bioshock 2 (which I started yesterday) and now it's downloading another 3 GB update?

AJ_Wings

Awesome! Always wanted to check out Minerva's Den.

Now thanks to this sale, more people can experience the best Bioshock game.

Linkhero1

Time to reinstall Bioshock 2 then. You know what? I liked the single player campaign. Sure, people call it an unnecessary sequel, but it had a ton of gameplay mechanic improvements over the first Bioshock, and the story was ok!

Could've done without the multiplayer though.

Me too. I prefer the first two over Infinite because I thought the gameplay felt more superior in the first two.

kiguel182

Haven't finished Bioshock 2 yet, I need to go back to it now.

Also, I meant to play this DLC, now that I have it for free I will do it for sure.

Peff

Bioshock 2 retail keys have always registered on Steam, as far as I remember. The CD key is gone from the library page and it's still there for Arkham, so let's see...

Do we know how soon it will be for Batman:AC? GFWL won't let me save. I keep hearing a lot about this game and its DLC so I'm probably going to have to pick this up now.

Miker

Now give me all the GOTY DLC for Arkham Arkham City for free :mad:

But yeah, as an owner of Bioshock 2, I'm pretty happy about this. If it's up by the weekend, I'll play through the DLC.

Top Bottom