• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minerva's Den Added to Steam. GFWL/Securom removed from Bioshock 2

Ifrit

Wow Minerva's Den for free? that are some great news, even though I bought it for 5 bucks :( But controller suuport makes me happy

And I was just rushing to finish Bioshock 2 just so I can play the DLC before the switch to steam, and I was nowhere near the end

Better swith to Red Faction Guerrilla since there are no news of that switching over to steam

Grief.exe

No mention of GFWL on the Bioshock 2 store page

I believe it was there before.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/8850/

Just played it.

Can confirm controller support and no GFWL in sight.

i00usjKgBJXQf.gif

Controller prompts seem half-baked.

It still prompts to press "f" to search corpses, but 360 button prompts are present in many of the menus.

A minor quibble i suppose.

edit: There is an "enable 360 controller" option in the controls menu. That fixes this.

Grief.exe

Dark Souls, Batman:AA/AC, and other GFWL titles have mention of the DRM on their respective store pages.

I believe Bioshock 2 had a mention as well, getting to confirmed status.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Good work 2K, now all other publishers need to update their retail GFWL and let people get steam codes using gfwl keys (Batman AA/AC and others)

L~A

I really hope that other publishers/developers will follow suit, and remove that GFWL crap from their games. Like, let's say... GTA IV? Hmm?
It's really cool that 2K is even adding achievements and all, they could've simply removed GFWL and call it a day. Props to them!

Grief.exe

Just checked my steam DLC for Bioshock 2 and I, in fact, have minerva's den listed

If you don't see it initially, restart your client.

Controller prompts seem half-baked.

It still prompts to press "f" to search corpses, but 360 button prompts are present in many of the menus.

A minor quibble i suppose.

They may have forgotten to include the updated textures and prompts with the patch.

I'm sure there will be small bugs to iron out.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
MD's still my favorite piece of Bioshock content, and this is a good excuse to go through it again.

Let's hope all Batman AC owners get bumped up to Batman AC GOTY Edition too, so they don't have to mess with the GFWL DLC ownership situation.

Grief.exe

For the record, GFWL is still in the installation path of the registry app.

So it might still install GFWL, but the patch overrides the system. I just don't have enough info right now.

Literally worst time for this to happen, I have a test today! Luckily I'm pretty well versed on the material.

pa22word

Can anyone confirm whether or not the protector trials are in this version of the game? It was free DLC on GFWL back in the day to renew interest for when MD launched, and is a fun little arcadey score attack mode for the game, and I'd like to still have access to it if at all possible.

For the record, GFWL is still in the installation path of the registry app.

So it might still install GFWL, but the patch overrides the system. I just don't have enough info right now.

Literally worst time for this to happen, I have a test today! Luckily I'm pretty well versed on the material.

I uninstalled GFWL and Bioshock 2 boots up without any pestering. Double checked my installed programs to make sure it didn't stealth install.

Owning the boxed copy of Bioshock 2 for PC, I just now activated its CD-Key via Steam successfully, but it says it's a "Promotion Code" that will activate when the full product is available on Steam?

Confused I am!

Ce-Lin

amazing that they included full support for the 360 pad + free MD + removal of GFWL, now I own the best version of the game and the Steam key came free along with the original Bioshock with the purchase of Infinite :) still got the huge Limited Edition with the Bioshock OST Vinyl, Artbook and stuff.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Wow, GFWL is finally gone AND they add controller support to Bioshock 2?

Getting Minerva's Den too is the icing on the cake.

Maybe time to play a full Bioshock --> Infinite Playthrough.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the protector trials are in this version of the game? It was free DLC on GFWL back in the day to renew interest for when MD launched, and is a fun little arcadey score attack mode for the game, and I'd like to still have access to it if at all possible.

It's in mine, but I had it installed before.

I'm surprised that my old saves are still compatible, nice job there.

I'm not sure if they fixed the terrible audio issues. It seems somewhat better but it may be a placebo. It still sounds pretty wonky when you go to town on a wall with your drill, but I'm not noticing as much audio dropout.

I noticed that the vending machines "talk" after you use them in Protector Trials, but not in the main game (at least based on a quick check). Little Sister talks in Trials, but I haven't tested in main game.

owasog

Owning the boxed copy of Bioshock 2 for PC, I just now activated its CD-Key via Steam successfully, but it says it's a "Promotion Code" that will activate when the full product is available on Steam?

Confused I am!
I had the same. And Steam wouldn't restart. I had to delete the Appcache folder and restart steam. Took a couple of minutes, but all is ok now.

Top Bottom