• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minerva's Den Added to Steam. GFWL/Securom removed from Bioshock 2

Damn, I should have bought Bioshock 2 from that offer right now. I am playing through Bioshock 1 right now and enjoying it very much (despite the constant crashing) and I hear that Minerva's Den is very good.

Fantasmo

wait was this an issue? I mean more input option is good but it's a FPS

Ever heard of this little thing Valve (who happens to own Steam by the way) is doing called Big Picture Mode SteamOS and Steam Machines?
There are a growing number of us who like to connect our 'better than next-gen' PC's to our TVs, so yes we love controller support.

Spread the word that keyboard mouse PC gaming for many genres may no longer be necessary, thanks Totobeni!!

Grief.exe

Hmm now I wonder if WB is really waiting for Origins release to spring the updated Batman games

I speculated earlier in the year that they were waiting to deploy the patches with potential promotions.

2K just did, Warner might follow suit.

Hrm, I wonder, can you still get the Xbox Live achievements for the game now or has that also all been removed?

If you play the retail or GFWL versions.

You can activate both on Steam.

scitek

Yeah, this was the right way to handle the situation. The alternative would've been to break everyone's existing DLC and make them buy it again, which would've been terrible. Good on 2K, and to coincide it with a sale is genius. I'll be playing MD for the first time this weekend.

Haunted

I.... I'm sure I bought Bioshock 1+2 from some store but forgot about it when I saw that it didn't activate on Steam.

I wonder if that's been converted to a steam key now as well.

I can't believe it's a free update.

Like wow, they did it just out of good will-- That's pretty amazing.

They should see a nice little bump in sales from the news and this allows them to continue to sell it after MS burns the corpse of GFWL. They are doing it right but I have a feeling, in the long run, the effort pays for itself.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Multiplayer works quite well through Steamworks. I was able to join a friends private match seamlessly from out of the game using the Steam friends list and we were able to dick around for a bit.

I speculated earlier in the year that they were waiting to deploy the patches with potential promotions.

I hope so and it would be godlike if WB did the same and updated Arkham City to the GOTY version for the people who bought the normal version.

that's just a nice dream though

If you play the retail or GFWL versions.

You can activate both on Steam.

I think the poster was more referring to the functionality of still getting the Xbox achievements out of the game (kinda like what City does even though that still has GWFL in it) rather than activating

Grief.exe

Multiplayer works quite well through Steamworks. I was able to join a friends private match seamlessly from out of the game using the Steam friends list and we were able to dick around for a bit.

I love when developers add that in and implement it perfectly.

The join on friends doesn't always work as intended, another plus goes out to 2K.

I.... I'm sure I bought Bioshock 1+2 from some store but forgot about it when I saw that it didn't activate on Steam.

I wonder if that's been converted to a steam key now as well.

Check your box. Only Bio2 should have a key though since Bio1 never used GfWL. I bought the Bio1+2 retail bundle last year and Bio2's key activated on steam just fine.

scitek

Does Big Picture Mode not show up for anyone else when you hit home on the controller? The game freezes and I hear the noises when I hit buttons, but there's no image.

Fantasmo

I hope so and it would be godlike if WB did the same and updated Arkham City to the GOTY version for the people who bought the normal version.

that's just a nice cream though

322845400-05150028c5zrj.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
GFWL is gone from Steam version.

Only hope is if you have the game already installed, deny the update in the properties, and go to offline mode.
Ah, rip. Ah well, I think I got most of the single player achievements anyway.

(Why do I even care about these things?!)

Grief.exe

Can you read that while you eat crow?

So out of everything I speculated on and was correct, Bioshock 2, Batman, Street Fighter, the one thing I got wrong you jump on?

And I was told directly they had no idea Bioshock 2 was even on Steam by a DE rep no less. That was the closest I have gotten to anything official until the AoEO leaks and today.

Ah, rip. Ah well, I think I got most of the single player achievements anyway.

(Why do I even care about these things?!)

Some people do seem to care, have no idea why though!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So out of everything I speculated on and was correct, Bioshock 2, Batman, Street Fighter, the one thing I got wrong you jump on?

And I was told directly they had no idea Bioshock 2 was even on Steam by a DE rep no less. That was the closest I have gotten to anything official until the AoEO leaks and today.

They played you like a fiddle and you can't own up to it?

My C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\downloading\8850\MP\Builds\Binaries\ReadMe.txt is about "C l o s e C o m b a t : F i r s t t o F i g h t"

Anyone got that?

Haunted

Can't we all just be PC-loving friends celebrating the death of GFWL and the excellent way they handled this?

c'mon guys

Novocaine

This is great news. I was a little sour I couldn't play with my pad. I also had a problem with GFWL not patching the game properly (turns out it was installing it into program files/steam rather than program files x86/steam, but I didn't figure that out until much later). And it was unplayable without the patch because of constant crashing. Ended up playing it on my laptop which was uncomfortable but whatever. Minerva's Den was really fun too.

I'm looking forward to giving this another crack on my main box.

kuYuri

Q: Will I be able to bring my multiplayer characters, single-player save games or achievements from the Games For Windows LIVE version to the Steam version?

A: No. Unfortunately, this information will not transfer in either the retail or pre-existing Steam/digital versions.

So I'm pretty much back to a blank slate, huh?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
According to the new post they sped up leveling in multiplayer:

"Leveling up is also quicker and easier, as we’ve fine-tuned the multiplayer experience to be better than ever."

Easy to miss detail. That should make the MP achievements slightly more manageable.

Top Bottom