• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minerva's Den Added to Steam. GFWL/Securom removed from Bioshock 2

Haunted

oh god, I forgot how shitty the FOV was in this.

yuck

edit: and the key bindings! A to use and Y to jump? madness

Haunted

You can fix it!
I wish I could fix it in the .ini for good instead of setting a keyboard keybind I have to renew after every cutscene (while playing on my couch with a controller) and basically disabling iron sights as well.

It's just such sloppy work from the devs. :/

finley83

Banned
At least I can now play with a controller and sit away from my monitor so the FOV is actually bearable. Not including 360 pad support from the get-go was a terrible idea, so glad they fixed it.

Mohasus

The game is crashing a lot, usually when loading a level or textures. Is it just me? Game was downloaded and installed a few hours ago, so I don't think a clean installation will help.

GTX 660 327.23 WHQL, I am not changing/forcing anything with nVidia inspector.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I wish I could fix it in the .ini for good instead of setting a keyboard keybind I have to renew after every cutscene (while playing on my couch with a controller) and basically disabling iron sights as well.

It's just such sloppy work from the devs. :/

I'll take anything over that default.

dsk1210

The game is crashing a lot, usually when loading a level or textures. Is it just me? Game was downloaded and installed a few hours ago, so I don't think a clean installation will help.

Try loading your last auto-save, mines kept crashing pretty quickly after loading in one of my saves, worked fine when i used the last auto-save.

If I buy bioshock 2 for $4.99 on steam today do I get minerva's den free?

Probably not. That was for previous owners and because they couldn't have determined who bought MD before without a huge hassle. It was for the best to give Bio2 owners MD that way.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well I feel a little late to the party. Is there any more news on Arkham Asylum's/City's progress?

Not yet. I'm hoping WB is taking notes and will follow in 2K's footsteps, however I'm worried that vanilla Asylum/City keys will activate the GOTY versions. If WB wants to throw owners of the original releases a bone, then having the keys activate both the vanilla and GOTY versions would be the ideal approach.

prudislav

try to add -dx9 parameter in steam (fixed it for me)

yeahe, Minerva's Den is 75% off now too ;)

Non GFWL Bioshock2 + DLC for 7.50€. A dream comes true.

Kinda sucks for people who bought it with 50% a couple of days ago.
Used the 2,55 euros I had in my steam wallet from selling the TF2 items that came with Infinite so less than 5 euros for me.

Grief.exe

Bio1 never used GFWL.

People always forget BioShock 1 and DMC4 never used GFWL.

I can see why, especially since Capcom published the latter. They went a little crazy with GFWL integration basically until 2013.

Capcom was actually one of the reasons I began theorizing this whole ordeal.

Lost Planet 1 is another one, there are actually two versions of the game. One GFWL version, one Steamworks.

well, as they say: wait for the daily deals.

Yes, we knew there would be a BioShock day during the 2K sale. If you don't have the capability to rationalize that, then I can't help you.

Grief.exe

It just occurred to me that I should add all of the fov And mouse fixes to the OP.

I will gather all that information up.

If they ever announced Darksouls getting GFWL patched out I'd go bt. just seems like it would be too much money for Namco to consider being that DS 2 is coming out soon.

Checked out Bioshock 2 due to this whole thing and

SPOILER FOR THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME

was that Elizabeth in the beginning when you first reach the plasmid machine?

am I being trolled here, what the fuck is going on?????

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Motherfuck I paid $15 for these two together at 9:15 this morning, and now they are half as much as I paid.

No I'm pretty sure she isn't in the game. People would have found out before and I would have remembered that as well.

But nice to see that people now get to play the game. Check out Minerva's Den, it's very good, especially the ending

Grief.exe

If they ever announced Darksouls getting GFWL patched out I'd go bt. just seems like it would be too much money for Namco to consider being that DS 2 is coming out soon.

You have to understand the bussines decisions behind this.

Games on this platform sell huge amounts of copies literally decades after they have been released. A game with GFWL integration will literally be useless in less than a year, reducing their overall potential income.

Patching GFWL from Dark Souls is more than likely, and can be tied in with a promotion for the Dark Souls II release. See: BioShock 2, Batman: AA/AC being tied in with promotions.

In fact, preliminary work on the port has probably already benn started. I will keep my eyes on the registry and keep people informed.

You find out a little beyond that who that is. Well, it doesn't explicitly tell you, but you can infer through dialogue, diaries, and contextual clues.
This is my first time playing the game, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but the answer seems very obvious to me.

I do agree that the first image they show you is very similar to Elizabeth.

No I'm pretty sure she isn't in the game. People would have found out before and I would have remembered that as well.

But nice to see that people now get to play the game. Check out Minerva's Den, it's very good, especially the ending

the character in that pic looked eerily familiar imo.

Games on this platform sell huge amounts of copies literally decades after they have been released. A game with GFWL integration will literally be useless in less than a year, reducing their overall potential income.

Patching GFWL from Dark Souls is more than likely, and can be tied in with a promotion for the Dark Souls II release. See: BioShock 2, Batman: AA/AC being tied in with promotions.

In fact, preliminary work on the port has probably already benn started. I will keep my eyes on the registry and keep people informed.

You find out a little beyond that who that is. Well, it doesn't explicitly tell you, but you can infer through dialogue, diaries, and contextual clues.
This is my first time playing the game, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but the answer seems very obvious to me.

I do agree that the first image they show you is very similar to Elizabeth.

and that's what got me.

I was like "wut" when it first happened

I hope so cause if Demon Souls vs. Dark Souls shows anything is that people wan't to be able to play all these games for years down the line. Question..when these get ported over do you need to do all the achievements over again on steam?

Wow, I saw the thread title and I was like "oh nice, I should buy and play this. How much is it gonna run me, $5? $10?" I'll happily take that off your hands for free ninety nine, 2K.

I think I'll run through this (Minerva's Den, I'm gonna skip the main game) as soon as I finish up Bioshock Infinite, curious to see how they feel next to each other.

Wow! This is awesome! I got BioShock 2 back when I preordered Infinite earlier this year and played through it, actually thinking it was half decent. I had wanted to pick up Minerva's Den after hearing some of the praise for it but due to GFWL, never got around to it.

Kind of awesome that I've got it for free now!

Grief.exe

Wow, I saw the thread title and I was like "oh nice, I should buy and play this. How much is it gonna run me, $5? $10?" I'll happily take that off your hands for free ninety nine, 2K.

I think I'll run through this (Minerva's Den, I'm gonna skip the main game) as soon as I finish up Bioshock Infinite, curious to see how they feel next to each other.

The games feel very similar right now.

Enemies become bullet sponges on increased difficulties and you search for loot and voice recordings.

Rapture is far more atmospheric than Columbia and the boss fights are more interesting.

Wow! This is awesome! I got BioShock 2 back when I preordered Infinite earlier this year and played through it, actually thinking it was half decent. I had wanted to pick up Minerva's Den after hearing some of the praise for it but due to GFWL, never got around to it.

Kind of awesome that I've got it for free now!

2K certainly set the bar high with this release, I hope Warner follows suit.

If you have Batman:AA/AC on Steam or activate a retail copy, you get the GOTY upgrade for free.
The line of thinking is similar, theoretically someone could have purchased the DLC through the GFWL store. Microsoft does not assign keys to DLC, making the purchases essentially untraceable.

Enemies become bullet sponges on increased difficulties and you search for loot and voice recordings.

I was really confused why Amazon constantly offers sales on their "Sand to Sea" pack that includes Bioshock, Bioshock 2, and Spec Ops: The Line, but after playing the latter recently I totally understood. You walk around, shooting bullet sponge enemies, chatting with talkative and philosophical enemies over a comm line, searching for voice logs, noticing cheeky references to pop culture and history, and being philosophically and morally challenged in potentially interesting, yet ultimately arbitrary ways. It's like the secret lost Bioshock game!

Rapture is far more atmospheric than Columbia and the boss fights are more interesting.

Not sure I would totally agree with that, but this is also probably not the right thread for that discussion....

Grief.exe

Do the keybindings we set up to remove ADS and fix mouse acceleration work for the multiplayer game as well?

Is there a way to remove auto-aim entirely? I checked out the multiplayer ini file and there is no Auto Aim=on/off section.

Grief.exe

Added all of the fixes to OP

Optimizing The Game

FOV

• Windows Key + R, type %appdata%, navigate to Bioshock2Steam folder
  • Open User.ini
  • Find [Default] Section
  • Find a key binding you wish to set for your FOV, type SetFOV # (# being your desired FOV, 90-100 for 16:9)
  • Example: PageUp=SetFOV 95
  • Need to press the key every time you load the game

AF

• Navigate to your installation folder, Steam/steamapps/common/Bioshock 2
  • /SP/Builds/Binaries
  • Open Default.ini
  • Find Levelofanisotropy=#, change #to 16

Disable Auto-Aim

• Windows Key + R, type %appdata%, navigate to Bioshock2Steam folder
  • Open Bioshock2SP.ini
  • AutoAim=False

Disable Mouse Acceleration

Here's a fix for you guys. If you remember the old mouse acceleration fix from the first Bioshock, it's exactly the same trick. I know there's toggle for Mouse Acceleration in the options menu, but it still feels janky, this will eliminate that feeling.

Navigate to C:\Users\YourNameHere\AppData\Roaming\Bioshock2Steam\User.ini
Grief.exe note: Windows Key + R Type %appdata%

Add this to the end of the file:

[Engine.PlayerInput]
MouseSmoothingMode=0
MouseAccelThreshold=0.0
Go to your bindings under the [Default] section and choose a key to bind this command:
set Engine.PlayerInput MouseAccelThreshold 0.0 | set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSmoothingMode 0

Now you'll have to press that key every time you load a save so the easiest thing to do is bind it to the same key as MoveForward. If you use WASD, that should look like this:

W=MoveForward | set Engine.PlayerInput MouseAccelThreshold 0.0 | set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSmoothingMode 0

Search for every instance of

Speed=2000.0

and change that number to something much lower. 750 feels good to me. You'll still be able tweak the mouse sensitivity with the slider in game. If you did that all correctly, then mouse controls should feel pretty good.

Now if you want bind Walk and Eve Reloading, just pick a key and add "Walking" and "InjectBioAmmo" without the quotation marks. For me, it looks like this:

Q=InjectBioAmmo
Ctrl=Walking

Check PC Gaming Wiki for more information: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/BioShock_2

thing i liked about GFWL games is that in-game voice chat with my headset plugged into my 360 controller just worked. I still can't get Payday 2 voice chat to work and there's all this shit you have to do to make it work with other games and not have to push-to-chat. and whenever you enable steam voice chat to be always on it turns down the volume of all the big picture mode sounds.

Grief.exe

Looks like I will finally buy Bioshock 2 then.

Couldn't believe that it didn't support controllers from the getgo.

There were so many problems with the initial release, controller support was far down on the list. Port is still somewhat janky, but nice to see controller support get in there.

Will be nice when the Valve controller is released and we don't have to worry about this as much. Native emulation of M/KB controls will bring the entire PC back catalog into the living room.

Grief.exe

The multiplayer is all kinds of fucked.

No way to fix FOV or mouse acceleration issues because those don't carry over from the single player ini.
You only have 10 settings in game for mouse sensitivity. Currently, I have the value set to 1 and it is still almost twice the speed from my normal sensitivity set up.

I added these sections to the bottom of the MP ini file, I doubt they will work

[Engine.PlayerInput]
MouseSmoothingMode=0
MouseAccelThreshold=0.0

[Default]
PageUp=SetFOV 95
PageDown=set Engine.PlayerInput MouseAccelThreshold 0.0 | set Engine.PlayerInput MouseSmoothingMode 0

Top Bottom