• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Takuan

Never played. These figures look amazing when painted right, though... I have a couple that I'm afraid to fuck up. I tried painting once and that was that :lol

JoeBoy101

BattleMonkey said:
Ah Confrontation, how I hate thee. I used to be hardcore into Confrontation in the old days till Rackham came and took a shit all over the game. The figs you posted are even the new crappier figs. They seriously had cooler looking figs back in the day. It's also sad how much they lie with these pictures, the final product look nothing like these. The new army box paint jobs are grotesque, some figs basically have two colors applied to them only.

The new game is also pretty mediocre, it's a wargame in scale compared to being a skirmish game like in the old days. You used to only need 10 or so figs for a Confrontation force. Despite my hate for Rackham, I do like their sci fi game AT-43, and do have a Ram confrontation force, but they are a shitty company and was so glad when their former head was kicked out of the company recently. Guy bankrupted the company already once.

If your going to repaint the figs and such they aren't as bad, though lot of the grunt troopers they are doing are pretty awful in the sculpt department, with very static poses. Some of the early figs also had lot of "rubber weapon" problems with the plastics looking bent out of shape and such. The individuals are much more exciting though.

The figs they use in their pics also are generally original resin casts and not the plastic they use, so you get more detailed looking figs that are much crisper than the production versions.

Ya know, I was wondering where all the other miniatures went. I had a ton of older metal minis that didn't show up on their website. That's REALLY sad to hear as many of their older minis were simply brilliant. Ah, here's a couple:

orgm_01_new.jpg

BAEL01_Mar06.jpg

That's really sad to hear it went into the toilet. Guess I have been out of the world too long. :-/

Yea they announced their sci fi plastic prepainted range (at-43) and it was getting lots of hype and excitement, they then come and announce that they are going to do Confrontation in the same format! This was a huge pr disaster for the company, their profits tanked, their forums aflame with hatred.... it wasn't pretty how they took a game with almost 15 complete armies and said that they were going to start all over again.

The rules for the game were never that good, the main thing that attracted people was the insanely awesome figures which the new stuff just can't compare with. It was a huge mistake that put the company in bankruptcy and they almost folded but were bought out, and the former head of the company was kicked out. They are still going though now with a new strategy, basically selling complete cheap armies. For about $60 online you can get a complete army for Confrontation and AT-43. It's a very good deal and almost makes up for the sins of their past.

I've bought their new Confrontation stuff, but not crazy about it.

Though I do hope to perhaps do soon a review on here on their AT-43 game, as it's actually pretty good.

rass

i am tagging this thread - I have no experience with the actual games but I love painting minis (still a beginner though)

Talking of awesome figs like the old Confrontation, I think a company that took over for Rackham in the unique and awesome quality department is Corvus Beli with "INFINITY"

aragotochargev2web.jpg

http://www.infinitythegame.com/infinity_ENG/

Game is heavily influenced by Appleseed and Ghost in the Shell, developed in Spain. A very unique game with a complex and interesting rule system.... and awesome figs.

New Review: WINGS OF WAR

4420014690_fb01c6ff5f_o.jpg
4419248029_5a748614d8_o.jpg

What is it?
- WWI & WWII aerial combat game! This card and miniature hybrid game has been around for several years now and it's gotten big in past years due to the introduction of it's miniature components. Originally released as a WWI dog fighting game, the game was expanded to include WWII with some extra rules to cover the change in technology. A very simple game that can be played on the cheap, or you can go all out and load up on the figures which come prepainted with die cast or plastic parts.

The rules
- Wings of War primarily uses cards to represent your plane, as well as all movements and actions you take. The base game was designed around playing out dogfights, but with expansions the game adds many extra scenarios, variants of planes, blimp rules, bombing missions, etc. Now instead of cards for your planes you can purchase the official airplane miniatures to add visual spice to the game.

Game play basically is done using a maneuver deck and play is done simultaneously amongst players. Players pick a card from their deck of moves to make, and at the same time they reveal the card and place it in front of their controlled planes. The cards basically determine what speed and kind of turns your plane is making. Different planes have different decks of moves to make to represent slower turning planes, faster planes, better turning ones, etc. After card placement, everyone moves their planes to the new position as pointed out by the cards, and then players shoot any targets that are now in their planes sights.

4419248067_8dfe979695_o.jpg

Further Notes:
- The game pretty much removes dice for cards to represent stuff like damage, you draw random cards which tell how much damage is dealt, the game also comes with everything you need to play. Playing with the box sets is all that is needed, but as mentioned the miniatures are a huge draw to the game, and it was the introduction of the figures that really boosted the game's sales. The game may sound simple, and it is, but it has lot of extra optional rules that add whole lot of complexity to the game such as elevation rules, and specific pilot decks to represent famous aces on their unique flying skills or moves they were famous for. The card system makes for simple to learn mechanics and while it sounds like it can create randomness, it is not since players see whats going on and have access to all their maneuvers in hand. Once you know the planes the game becomes easier to predict and plan.

Game is also very quick and easy to play for a one on one engagement, but one can easily just add more planes for larger battles, and the game stays fast paced! Want to do squadron vs squadron battles? No problem! Game also has added blimp models, larger bomber figures are coming, and the game has recently expanded to the WWII era now.

4420014726_6f0c0bd112_o.jpg

Pros:
+ High Quality figures
+ Customizable game
+ Quick Play
+ Easily scalable to any size of engagements
+ Lots of optional rules to add complexity and variety
+ Miniatures not required, one can play with the included cards instead
+ Figures come on pegged flight stands, so you can remove pegs to create the illusion of the figure being at a lower or higher elevation than other figures on the board.

Cons:
- System might be too simple for history buffs who love complex detailed realism
- The figures are prepainted and built for you, this might turn away hobby gamers
- The WWII line came out later and is still trailing in amount of releases and figures compared to the WWI version of the game.

If your interested in Wings of War, visit the official site at Fantasy Flight Games, one can even download most of the games rules off the website if you wish to preview before buying! http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=24

Reviewed Flames of War which was focused on the ground war, and this covering the air war of the world wars, so next review will potentially be covering a Naval wargame to complete all areas of the World War in gaming.

Leunam said:
Hmm, Aeronautica Imperialis is quite different from Wings of War it seems. I may do a review for AI.

Ooo that game looks cool, one problem simply being the Forgeworld hump and basically expensive as hell to play in the US.... also rare to see the game in the US. I would love to try it though, I was turned away though because even though the figs aren't that expensive, shipping from FW is so friggin high.

Leunam

The way I garnered interest for the game at my GW was by taking the plunge and buying the rulebook first and letting everyone take a look. Once we had enough interest we all ordered at the same time and saved a little on shipping.

It's pretty fun what with the varying races and all. You've got the standard Tau and Imperials, who are basically on equal footing, then Orks, who have a bit of a speed advantage and Grot Bombs, Chaos, the swarm, and Eldar, fragile, but tough to actually hit due to holoshields.

markatisu

Me and my brother just started WH40k by picking up the Assault on Black Reach set for $50 on amazon. Painting them can be overwhelming at first

JoeBoy101

markatisu said:
Me and my brother just started WH40k by picking up the Assault on Black Reach set for $50 on amazon. Painting them can be overwhelming at first

Prime and paint. Start with all the basic troops first and then sergeants and then LTs. Painting minis well just requires practice and an interest in doing a good job. First you work on brush control and moderating the amount of paint going on the mini. Then you can start working on details, etc. etc.

markatisu said:

Just go slow. Lot of people don't finish painting their armies for long time as they just can't assign so much time to it. Do a little at a time, play the game if you want and eventually you'll get it done. Do a single unit of figs at a time, try to concentrate on doing one thing a day if you don't want to be overwhelmed. For example do all the base coloring first on all the dudes in a squad. Then next day do all their shoulder pads or whatever next, then something else, and so on till you eventually complete a whole squad.

markatisu

JoeBoy101 said:
Prime and paint. Start with all the basic troops first and then sergeants and then LTs. Painting minis well just requires practice and an interest in doing a good job. First you work on brush control and moderating the amount of paint going on the mini. Then you can start working on details, etc. etc.

BattleMonkey said:
Just go slow. Lot of people don't finish painting their armies for long time as they just can't assign so much time to it. Do a little at a time, play the game if you want and eventually you'll get it done. Do a single unit of figs at a time, try to concentrate on doing one thing a day if you don't want to be overwhelmed. For example do all the base coloring first on all the dudes in a squad. Then next day do all their shoulder pads or whatever next, then something else, and so on till you eventually complete a whole squad.

Thanks for the tips! Right now am finding Orks much easier to deal with compared to the Space Marines. I do about 1 figure every few days. I have no tried any of the advanced techniques, so far all I do is prime, paint the base coats and colors (no highlighting, dry brushing or stickers)

markatisu said:
Thanks for the tips! Right now am finding Orks much easier to deal with compared to the Space Marines. I do about 1 figure every few days. I have no tried any of the advanced techniques, so far all I do is prime, paint the base coats and colors (no highlighting, dry brushing or stickers)

Dry brushing is one of the easiest "advanced technique that once you try it, you will likely love it as it really makes the figures pop with detail. Lot of tutorials online, give it a try.

If you can, post up some pics of some of your figs too, we can give you some pointers perhaps!

Never got into any of the SFB games, and seeing some of the huge rule books players compiled for SFB with all the modules over the years made it scary looking.

I was huge into Babylon 5 Wars though and still play every once in a great while (much better than the shitty 'Call to Arms' game Mongoose put out), which many described as a much more streamlined game of SFB. Not really sure if it's similar to FC or not though. Not much of a Trek fan so never paid much mind to those games.

4175533646_1eb0379377.jpg

I just want to say I bought like half a Space Marine army...a month ago.. and the only reason I have not started painting them is it's a commitment.

I have gone in my head from Iron Hands to Aurora Chapter, Exorcists, Silver Skulls,back to Aurora Chapter to damn the world calling them vanilla I want to do the Ultramarines :lol . After purchasing Insignium Astartes from the Black Libaray, I honestly think I am just going to do Ultramarines. The lore and the bits are just immense. They are also not the glden children of the game with the Blood Angel and Space Wolf dexes coming out recently.

If you understand anything I just said please let me know your thoughts. :D

Leunam

Oh no, Ultramarines will always be golden children.

I know how you feel. In the end, I went with Ultramarines as well since I like their color scheme, but it's very tempting to do other chapters. Have you thought about just creating your own chapter, color scheme and all?

Leunam said:
Oh no, Ultramarines will always be golden children.

I know how you feel. In the end, I went with Ultramarines as well since I like their color scheme, but it's very tempting to do other chapters. Have you thought about just creating your own chapter, color scheme and all?

I am a lore freak, so that would never happen with me. The fiction got me into the game not the other way around. I would stand around in the LGS and just read the fluff in the codexes and finally I was like I should just play the damn game too.

For example I was set on doing Iron Hands but thought it was ridiculous that they have all this "official" lore on the GW website and are not really a strict Codex Astartes chapter, the ties to Adeptus Mechanicus and the clan council being two examples, with no way to represent that in the actual game.

So I moved on I figure if I am just going to do a Codex chapter such as the Aurora Chapter or the Silver Skulls or Doom Eagles why not just do the Codex chapter. They have a great color scheme tons of fun verifiable lore and modeling bits out the ass :D

Ra\/en

I used to be huge into Warhammer 40k and Warhammer from the ages of 13-17. I actually learned how to paint them pretty well if I say so myself. I'll try to get some pics up here one day..

I had High elves, Tyranids, Space Marines and Tau. Fun times indeed. I remember going down to the local "rogue trader" shop and playing some fun games on their awesome boards.

I don't have the time to paint/play them anymore, and I doubt my wife would take to kindly to me buying overpriced little pewter/plastic models :lol

I love the game though. It holds a very special place in my heart.

3 friends and I just started this. We are still painting and so far, that's fun. We'll see how the actual following of rules and arguments turn out though.

hoverX

Does anyone play LOTR? i bought the rulebook but held off on buying miniatures when i realized that there really wasn't much support for the game at my local games workshop.

hoverX said:
Does anyone play LOTR? i bought the rulebook but held off on buying miniatures when i realized that there really wasn't much support for the game at my local games workshop.

Which version? Basic LOTR, or the new War of the Ring book.

Apath

In 6th grade I painted a few LOTR Two Towers miniatures. Had a nice group of urukhai or w/e and Rohan horsemen. I mainly did it because I'd be in Vegas for two weeks during the summer and there is nothing to do when locked in a hotel room for hours on end. I never did play though.

I've always wanted to get into the miniature gaming world, but God damn are the miniatures a huge rip off. I just can't bring myself to plop down on single $20 figures, let alone the paint and supplies needed to detail your army and actually make terrain. Way too much investment for me.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I would just like to jump back in here and let you all know how cool this stuff is. I will own a pool sized battlefield of this shit as soon as I strike oil.

Kenak said:
In 6th grade I painted a few LOTR Two Towers miniatures. Had a nice group of urukhai or w/e and Rohan horsemen. I mainly did it because I'd be in Vegas for two weeks during the summer and there is nothing to do when locked in a hotel room for hours on end. I never did play though.

I've always wanted to get into the miniature gaming world, but God damn are the miniatures a huge rip off. I just can't bring myself to plop down on single $20 figures, let alone the paint and supplies needed to detail your army and actually make terrain. Way too much investment for me.

Well like all hobbies it can be pricey, for many you learn to shop smart and generally, buy online where you can get massive discounts. Ebay is also a treasure trove of good buys, I bought so much Warhammer 40k stuff on ebay for major savings. Whole armies for $200 when it easily would be 600-800 worth of product? And lot of shops now give good 20-30% off stuff online for new.

Hobby supplies likes paints, brushes and such will last a long time and if you get into the hobby, it really is not all that expensive since you will make good use of all the stuff.

If you enjoy it, that will often make the cost worth it as those hours of work and then game time afterwards will have all been worth it, and the cost doesn't seem all that bad in the end. Compared to other hobbies, it often is cheaper really... yes minis are expensive from certain companies/games, but for the amount of use and time you put into it, it is often worth every penny and then some.

New Review: MALIFAUX

4514655715_3fe7c7cb6a_o.jpg

What is it?
- Welcome to the world of Wyrd! Malifaux is a new game from Wyrd Miniatures who have been around for almost 4 years now creating unique and... weird miniatures! After years of selling miniatures, they have finally gone and made a ruleset to go along with their figs. They originally started putting out stories for their figs set in the world of Malifaux for some time now, and now it's come to life in this unique and fun Skirmish level game.

What is Malifaux's setting like? Well it is a pretty big mish mash of Western, Gothic, and Steampunk ideas. The game is set in the 1800's where a portal from our world opened up to a new one, a land full of magic and danger. This new world similar to ours featured an empty city named Malifaux. What happened to the people of this new world? No one knows, but this new world is also the source of the precious Soul Stones, which give people a source of magical power which has completely changed life for all.

4515292248_d232240b0d_o.jpg

The rules
- Malifaux is a skirmish level game meaning it depicts small scale battles. Your "armies" in Malifaux are called crews. You choose a single powerful character called a master who is the leader of your group, and then choose a selection of minions who create your final crew. Your crew will battle others over a variety of objectives. Skirmish games being small scale mean that this game will usually only have a small amount of figures on the table. A crew might be only 5-6 figures, so the game might seem small, but the rule detail is much more robust than most wargames as the combat is much more detailed.

One of the unique aspects of the game, is that it uses NO DICE. You play the game with a deck of cards, which are equivalent to a standard 52 card deck. The numbers basically determine your "roll". Players also every turn draw a hand of cards which they keep and basically use to "cheat fate". Basically the game plays that you flip a card from the deck over, and add the value of the card and it's suite to the stat of the model. Compare values, and see if you succeed. Now if you don't like the card you flipped, you can "cheat" and replace the card on the table, with one from your hand. This create a very unique gameplay mechanic as you have limited ability to manipulate your fate.

Game play is also often 2 sided, you don't simply play and your opponent waits his turn, all battles are simultaneous. You duel on almost everything by flipping cards, comparing totals, and cheating fates to see who comes out on top. Models are also activated in alternating fashion. I activate a model and use it, then opponent moves and uses one of his, and so on till all figures have gone.

4514655807_232ed6ab85_o.jpg
4515292612_6d8146cf2f_o.jpg

Further Notes:
- The game has an obvious wild west tone to it with a dash of the weird thrown in. Giant steam powered beasts, demons, monsters, undead, and guns galore. The game is also kept fresh by players choosing unique objectives each game. Unlike other games, you don't have a set goal that everyone is trying to achieve, everyone has their own unique goals they have to do to score points for victory. Players also get to choose their own agendas secretly from lists in the book which give them bonus points for achieving... such as having a character of his in his opponents side of the table at end of game might give you a secret bonus to help win the game.

The game has a very fresh feel to it with it's diceless fate system. The models are also quite unique as one can see from some of the sample pics I've posted. The universe is somewhat wacky with a wild mix of themes, and some excellent fluff behind it. Some people compare it to Warmachine/Hordes, but in reality the games are nothing alike except for your force has a central leader fig that must be taken, and has unique magic powers. Unlike those games by Privateer Press, the loss of your master does not end the game.

4515292544_76ff5717a2_o.jpg

Pros:
+ Skirmish level game, requires little investment by a player.
+ Unique and engaging rule system
+ Wildly inventive setting that is unlike any other

Cons:
- Rules can be a bit complex at first, and have undergone lots of errata
- Balance between factions/masters is somewhat suspect at the moment.

Malifaux is a new game that is gaining in popularity very fast, it debuted last year at Gencon, and already a 2nd book is expected to be unleashed at this years Gencon in August.

Leunam

Looks really neat, and those miniatures have a lot of character to them. It's interesting that it's a pseudo wild west theme since I've been looking for similarly themed skirmish games.

hoverX said:
i've only got the basic rulebook. WOTR requres too many miniatures for my liking i think.

Well the original LOTR game was very scalable, you chose the size of battles and you could play small little battles out, or larger ones. The new rulebook 'War of the Ring" is for playing army battles to recreate epic level stuff as seen in the movies, now that takes lots of figures. The original LOTR game worked for all kinds of sizes so you could easily do something small like the Fellowship versus a group of orcs like at the end of the first book/movie.

Leunam said:
Looks really neat, and those miniatures have a lot of character to them. It's interesting that it's a pseudo wild west theme since I've been looking for similarly themed skirmish games.

Yea the game oozes with character. They also have a bunch of Asian inspired stuff as well like katana wielding zombies even.

Binabik15

The onlx game I´m actually playing is Blood Bowl and that´s something for the Board Game thread, but I own lots of Warhammer (40k) stuff, Warmachine and Hordes stuff (battleboxes plus a few add ons) and the odd mini from other manufacturers.

What I do with them? Well, mostly convert and resculpt them. Painting, sometimes. I wish I could become a professional sculptor, but I don´t like the idea of living off of floor matts and cotton balls :lol

Got my first plastic Hordes minis today, very nice. Everything was in good order, quite relieving after hearing horror stories, especially the stuff shipped to Europe. The metal minis from PP that Ullises casts are horrible sometimes, rough surface, mold lines galore and my Gnarlhorn Satyr I bought as a BB Mino even had tears in the metal, as if he was stretched while curing. Extremely brutal mold removal, probably. They have nothing on GW or Reaper. Reaper minis are the best cast-wise I ever had.

I can´t wait to get to play WM and Hordes again, but I´ll wait for the Mk2 stuff to be finished, I don´t want to learn rules and stats that get changed in Primal Mk2.

Why I´m posting this here and not on a PP related site? Well, because PP fanboys are worse than Sega fans. Rampant jerk-off sessions because they released a preview or FAQ (zomg! they wuv us!), people defending their every action, people getting all "Page 5 lawl! It´s not broken if everything is broken!", "Grow manly man balls and play better [against this horribly broken model/army]" etc. Urgh. Maybe I´m to used to downtrotten GW collectors hating themselves for buying stuff from the evil, evil crack, err, model supplier. But people getting into other people´s faces for NOT showing fanboyism that´d get you banned on GAF, smh.

And the GW fans switching over to PP games "cause it´s cheaper and they wuv us!", oh god, I hold the same vitriol in my heart for GW, but that doesn´t justify PPs every action, so stop using GW price raises as a counter argument to everything.

It´s a similiar feeling to step into gaming-age and see people at each others throat´s over Xbox and Ps3 resolutions (both suck, get a pc
lawl
or people feeling the need to bring their "it should play like CoD" into every thread, even for Tetris Remix #345.

Nah, sometimes it´s fun to argue/unleash your inner asshole on the net and I´m not really as worked up about it as my post might seem, but I had to ingest so much fanboy drivel the last few days while getting up to date with PP games after a ~ 1,5 year break.

tl;dr: Play Blood Bowl and if you ever quote fucking page five I´ll gut you
<3

PS: Is this a thread were we post our minis?

PPS: Beginner painters: Please, don´t drybrush anything but fur and rocks. It makes angels weep. Just start slow and paint everything in a base colour until you have build up muscle memory and your lines are becoming straight and you don´t paint over the wrong bits. Then either use feathering, blending or washing. It takes practice, but it´s so worth it.

Check the tutorial section on www.coolminiornot.com, on the GW site and maybe go to www.warhammer.org.uk, their painting section called "glass cabinet" houses several brilliant painters that´ll always offer helpful tips and explain how they did a certain colour/effect.

PPPS: I always wanted to try the LotR rules for skirmishes set in the ASoIaF universe, should be easy enough to use count as rules, but I never came around to do it. But the thought of it is sweet.

Binabik15 said:

PPS: Beginner painters: Please, don´t drybrush anything but fur and rocks. It makes angels weep. Just start slow and paint everything in a base colour until you have build up muscle memory and your lines are becoming straight and you don´t paint over the wrong bits. Then either use feathering, blending or washing. It takes practice, but it´s so worth it.

Check the tutorial section on www.coolminiornot.com, on the GW site and maybe go to www.warhammer.org.uk, their painting section called "glass cabinet" houses several brilliant painters that´ll always offer helpful tips and explain how they did a certain colour/effect.

I disagree - drybrushing is a good technique, particularly for beginning painters. Also look at dip and washing

CiSTM

Banned
Looking for a name of Warhammer spin-off. Looked lot like MALIFAUX, with 'em zombies and whatnot. Sorry can't be more specific, all I know there were zombies and guys with muskets... Or maybe it was Malifaux?

You got some minis, go ahead and post them, love seeing any and all of peoples miniature works.

Binabik15 said:
Why I´m posting this here and not on a PP related site? Well, because PP fanboys are worse than Sega fans. Rampant jerk-off sessions because they released a preview or FAQ (zomg! they wuv us!), people defending their every action, people getting all "Page 5 lawl! It´s not broken if everything is broken!", "Grow manly man balls and play better [against this horribly broken model/army]" etc. Urgh. Maybe I´m to used to downtrotten GW collectors hating themselves for buying stuff from the evil, evil crack, err, model supplier. But people getting into other people´s faces for NOT showing fanboyism that´d get you banned on GAF, smh.

While I give all games a chance, I do agree with you on this. I have a strong dislike for much of the Privateer Press community. Used to constantly have issues with players of those games where almost every other word out of their mouth was how much better their game was than GW's products. I can understand your hatred of some things GW might do, but seriously, shut the fuck up and play the game, it's getting tiresome.

I remember once a buddy and me were playing some 40k at a local shop and a douche walks in with his WM and was like, "aw fuck 40k, your guys are using the whole table for that stupid game". I was pretty pissed off that he would come at us with such an attitude, we were there first, it was open gaming night, so go somewhere else. But he had to just whine and keep going on how 40k sucked and it took too much space up while they could have two Warmachine games going on the table we were using.

And yes, Privateer Press forums are garbage, you get mauled for having a negative opinion on something Privateer does. And it's hilarious how anything they do wrong is basically ignored by them bitching about something GW does. "oh yea, well if GW did this they would blah blah blah". I also don't care much about the attitude of PP staff, they have a very stuck up attitude as if they were the bad boys of gaming. And it's funny how everything I complained about years ago and got chewed out for on their forums, is what was getting fixed with MK.2. Oh so I was wrong? :lol

What I found funny and also disgusting about PP, I did apply to be Press Ganger for them for our local shop for the purpose of hosting MONSTERPOCALYPSE events. Privateer came back to me and denied my application.... why? Because they researched me and saw that in the past I had said negative things about Warmachine on some forum. Even though the rules specifically state you don't have to support their other games, they denied me membership because I did not like Warmachine openly. Seriously they background checked to see if I adored their company and was some kind of company loving drone? I replied to them that's fine, I don't have to promote your game at our local store then, I will just pimp some other company's products.

I like their games really, but not a fan of the company itself or it's fans.

CiSTM said:
Looking for a name of Warhammer spin-off. Looked lot like MALIFAUX, with 'em zombies and whatnot. Sorry can't be more specific, all I know there were zombies and guys with muskets... Or maybe it was Malifaux?

Mordheim. Kind of similar concept and atmosphere to the story. Rules for Morheim can be found on GW's site, it is free now.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I played 40k way back in the day, but ultimately gave it up because I was in it for the gameplay, and Space Marines are just so stupidly good playing anything but them and winning relied on the enemy making mistakes. I had a decently sized Dark Eldar force.

Ended up switching to Mordheim, which was a lot more fun for me. Less work, much less money, and it felt like more balance and customization. Played vampires there, and then Wood Elves, which is an unofficial army list that my friends and I went through and changed until it felt balanced. Died out as well after a few years because it just ended up being one of my friends and I playing all the time, making our armies way ahead of everyone elses, and them quitting :p

JoeBoy101

Malifaux reminds be heavily of this of the old Deadlands RPG, but with miniatures that is. Good ones at that.

Drybrushing is a good intermediate technique until you get shading and feathering down. It can really take you to painting nice minis and using just it can make some nice foot troops. Character models though ask for more detail and light sources.

When dealing with large amount of figs, getting too detailed with painting just doesn't work for some people. When I got 100+ orcs to paint for a game, I usually skip some of the more detailed painting techniques and use quicker painting methods for table top quality gaming. With smaller scale games I will invest more time per figure though.

I have yet to attempt the dip painting method though.

This again is for people that know what the hell I am talking about. For sake of ease I am going to try doing Imperial Fists (yellow Space Marines) with a spray of Citadel primer and then a spray finish of Army Painter Daemonic Yellow. I will post my results :D .

Quick secondary question, the Army painter stuff is sold as primer. Should I even undercoat white then base in yellow, could I just use the yellow "primer" as a base?

I have played 40k for about 8 years now on and off. I have a Black Templars and Imperial Guard armies. I am really in the mood to play when I get back from school, but since I moved, I know no one to play with, and hauling all my shit to the local store is a pain...

Anerythristic said:
This again is for people that know what the hell I am talking about. For sake of ease I am going to try doing Imperial Fists (yellow Space Marines) with a spray of Citadel primer and then a spray finish of Army Painter Daemonic Yellow. I will post my results :D .

Quick secondary question, the Army painter stuff is sold as primer. Should I even undercoat white then base in yellow, could I just use the yellow "primer" as a base?

The army painter sprays are supposed to be quite good, it is a primer and base coat in one. I just recently got two cans (Army Green & Desert Tan) yet haven't tried them yet. I believe they had a video online by Army Painter in which they use the army spray as the primer and base, and then went straight to dipping in the army painter brand dips, to create a nice looking fig that just needed some detailing. It looked quite good.

Really try a test fig if you can find a fig you could care less about and don't undercoat it.

Apath

BattleMonkey said:
Well like all hobbies it can be pricey, for many you learn to shop smart and generally, buy online where you can get massive discounts. Ebay is also a treasure trove of good buys, I bought so much Warhammer 40k stuff on ebay for major savings. Whole armies for $200 when it easily would be 600-800 worth of product? And lot of shops now give good 20-30% off stuff online for new.

Hobby supplies likes paints, brushes and such will last a long time and if you get into the hobby, it really is not all that expensive since you will make good use of all the stuff.

If you enjoy it, that will often make the cost worth it as those hours of work and then game time afterwards will have all been worth it, and the cost doesn't seem all that bad in the end. Compared to other hobbies, it often is cheaper really... yes minis are expensive from certain companies/games, but for the amount of use and time you put into it, it is often worth every penny and then some.
Yep, I'd always shop online. And my real issue is just how they rip people off so much for their mass produced tiny plastic figures.
"I want a little 12 pack of tiny plastic men holding rifles."
"THIRTY DOLLA PLUS TAX AND SHIPPING!"
That's what I can't stand.

And I was just listing the supplies as something on top of the rip-off figures. The supplies are, IMO, a good investment. :D

Well depends on how mass produced figures are. The gaming industry really is small, people like to compare to products found in toy stores and such made in China and heavily mass produced, but really, these gaming figs are often made in much smaller quantities.

Games Workshop stuff is the biggest on the market, and even then there business is small time compared to even the smallest of toy companies that deal in mass production. Lot of game companies really are just a few guys in an office, who do casting all by themselves and don't get massive discounts on the materials to produce their figurines with. For example my family has a gift ware business and we do have products manufactured in China, we do pewter figurines, candle holders, etc... and for a large piece of pewter, it will cost us perhaps 2-5 dollars max. Now this is for mass production, while a game company is buying small amounts of pewter to cast their figures in, they are paying double/triple the amount for the materials.

Does Games Workshop overcharge? In some cases yes, but in some respects not really.

Wow you really like Ogres :)

So what is your take on the state of the OK army in the current WFB environment? Many like to say they are a very weak and underpowered army. Do you think an Ogre army needs to make heavy use of Gnoblars to make up for the overly expensive Ogre units?

Leunam

The trolls are very impressive indeed. I picked up a box of Killa Kanz for my Orkz the other day. That's an impressive kits as well.

The kans are pretty nice, would love to get them but I got a set of metal ones and really don't ever use them in game much either so stayed away from them. Though the new Deff Dread.... OooOo.

My Orc & Gobbo fantasy army is a mess right now, since the last army book update I never was able to get it fixed up right or finished. I wasn't going to use Boar Boys or Trolls but these sets are just too nice.

Warhammer 8th edition announced for release in July:

fdhv6u.jpg

The Warhammer world is a place riven by relentless warfare and the corrupting power of dark magic. It’s a place where vile creatures and titanic monsters roam the lands, where vast armies of evil warriors unleash slaughter upon their victims and only the unceasing valour of the forces of Order prevent the whole world slipping away into chaos and death.

Amidst this tapestry of conflict and carnage are races fair and foul, warriors chivalrous and brutal. These are the combatants who fight for dominance of the world. From the blasted north come warmongering tribes of Chaos Warriors, armour-clad barbarians who have thrown their lot in with the Dark Gods of Chaos. In the Badlands gather the greenskinned marauders known as the Orcs and Goblins, vicious, brutal creatures whose insatiable lust for war grows almost as quickly as their vast numbers. Beneath the cities of the civilised realms nestle the repulsive ratmen, subhuman creatures whose machinations spread disease and distrust – these are the Skaven and they wish only to destroy and dominate all others. Even the forests of the Old World are not safe, for the trees themselves are things of malign presence and the Beastmen dwell within, the children of Chaos – braying beasts who crave slaughter and the chance to enact their savagery on the civilised races.

The Warhammer world is a place where you must bury your dead deeply, for Necromancers and Vampires raise the legions of undeath in their war against the living. Far away in the south the legendary kings of a long-dead kingdom now awaken, leaving their vast tomb cities to wage war upon all under the sun, their skeletal legions a chilling parody of their once glittering majesty.

All these examples of horror are enough to cause weaker hearts to quail, but there are those who resist the darkness, kingdoms and realms that fight for survival. The Empire, greatest of all the nations of Men musters regiments of brave soldiers. Armed with faith in Sigmar, their warrior god, and with tempered steel and black powder weapons they defend their lands. South and east of the Empire lies Bretonnia, a land of chivalry and noble tradition. There, bold knights harken the call of their mighty king and ride out to crusade against the monsters of the Old World. Dwarfs, in their mountain strongholds, are as unyielding as the stone around them as they battle above and below the ground. Loyal allies, but terrible enemies, the Dwarfs are brave-hearted and steadfast as they protect their once-great realm.

In far-off lands the Elves fight out their bitter blood feud against one another – a mighty civilisation that spanned the continents but is now riven with strife and betrayal. Perhaps the greatest warriors in all the world, their numbers are now few and too many of those that remain are lost each day in the unending war between Ulthuan and Naggaroth.

This is a world where victory and death rest upon a knife-edge and the fate of the world, be it damnation or salvation, will soon be decided.

Warhammer, the Game of Fantasy Battles will be released in July. The preparation for this date has been a time of great excitement here in the Studio as we have lavished detail, care and attention onto the rulebook and the fantastic Citadel miniatures range that it accompanies.

Now is the time to gather your regiments, paint your armies and prepare for a battle like never before. If you have a Warhammer army, dust it off and finish up those last few models. If you’ve always been tempted to collect a force there really has never been a better time to start! Warhammer is coming and it’s going to be great.

A few rumoured rules changes:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253845

Can't wait! :D

Top Bottom