• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I sometimes get that; I never got past it with the Imperial Fists :( .

A bit of weathering and unified basing and that unit would be very unified (besides the huge variety of model types!).

That power fist plague marine brings back great memories. He has aged really nicely.

The power fist dude and the Mark IV are the best schemes btw.

Nete

First time trying to make something with green stuff, in this case the hair for my BB human ogre: The Donald.

TZDyuGA.png
KMGTKO4.png

Far from perfect, but after some good tries I don't think I really can do it better. Now it's time to clean the surviving mold lines and start to think how the hell I will paint that orange-ish skin.

Jinaar

Primaris Space Wolf. Done. What to do next? I have to finish paining the iconary on the shoulders though (I did the right shoulder pad, but that is not shown)

qX0mhpZ.jpg

Leunam

Always some wonderful stuff on display here. Baraka that time you put in on that sword was worth it, really cool effect.

Jinaar

I would suggest brighter highlights. From the game, you can see how that sword brightens the underfacing parts of all the armor. If you can figure out what best works with the colors you already started with to boost them up, I think that would help make that model pop even more. But test first if interested going that route. Other then that, looks fine indeed!

25779182673_9965d04597_z.jpg

Leunam

Kudos to you Baraka, I've done Gold NMM before even attempting object source lighting. I probably never will to be honest, you're braver than me lol

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I've muffed up many a decent paint job by experimenting but glowy swords are just such a great part of the Dancer that I really wanted to pull the effect off.

Gonna dig out a light yellow and see if I can lighten it up some more.

Mikeside

I've been quite busy painting Blood Angels lately.
Nothing special by the standards of this thread, but I'm happy with my work so far:

Got another Baal Predator, 3 bikes, an attack bike, a whole bunch of primaris, 2 inquisitors, 2 storm talons and 15 Death Company to go.... gonna be a long time until I get around to my Death Guard at this pace!!

Imperial Fist Primaris Marine. Really need some transfer sheets with the icons on it to put on the shoulder pads.

rGgY7Dx.jpg

Looks awesome! It's really annoying how all the new kits only come with Ultramarine transfers and they don't sell Dark Angels, Fists etc on the website.

Looks awesome! It's really annoying how all the new kits only come with Ultramarine transfers and they don't sell Dark Angels, Fists etc on the website.

Look for local groups/gamers to swap transfers from DM with. I have 4 entire sheets from that boxed set! That transfer sheet is super awesome too, thanks to the new transfers and wide range of sizes.

Great looking yellow on that IF! Thats a difficult color to get right and yours looks fantastic.

I have some observations on this one.

Your metal technique can use some work. It does not stand out and looks muddied. The feathers/fur on the shoulders and boots could use one more highlight. They look well outlined and distinct but one more layer would make them pop.

However, both your leather and chainmail look magnificent. The leather stands out everywhere you have painted it. Great blending. It looks soft and well worn. The boots are great. Your chainmail appears as if the light is hitting it just right. Light and dark just where it needs to be.

The well worn shield looks good too. Different shades of brown on a model can be hard to pull off and you've done it quite well.

Basing this model would go a very long way.

Jinaar

Thanks folks! I used Vallejo White primer allied by brush and then used the standard Games Workshop yellows. Glad it turned out the way it did. As for the thoughts on transfer sheets, going to check it out and see if people do that locally. Thanks again!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I miss this hobby so much, I got into it a little a couple of years ago but had to stop due to space mostly, and also the cost. I still kept the few I painted safe though, I think in total I painted maybe 10 models, the big guy in the middle was the last one I did. One day I hope to get back into it.

2-Terms of Kombat
I have some observations on this one.

Your metal technique can use some work. It does not stand out and looks muddied. The feathers/fur on the shoulders and boots could use one more highlight. They look well outlined and distinct but one more layer would make them pop.

However, both your leather and chainmail look magnificent. The leather stands out everywhere you have painted it. Great blending. It looks soft and well worn. The boots are great. Your chainmail appears as if the light is hitting it just right. Light and dark just where it needs to be.

The well worn shield looks good too. Different shades of brown on a model can be hard to pull off and you've done it quite well.

Basing this model would go a very long way.

I'll probably end up dulling the flat of the blade and highlighting the edge in white/silver and see how that works; admittedly I just stopped with a single coat of steel there. I had considered an additional highlight to the fur but talked myself out of it. I always worry about creating an exaggerated gradient or losing the base color by highlighting too much; guess I need to ignore that and go for it.

Thanks for the critique. This is something I'm determined to get better at so I really do appreciate feedback.

I miss this hobby so much, I got into it a little a couple of years ago but had to stop due to space mostly, and also the cost. I still kept the few I painted safe though, I think in total I painted maybe 10 models, the big guy in the middle was the last one I did. One day I hope to get back into it.

Those are really nicely painted

RMI

Banned

you can probably buy the transfers for whatever legion you want from FW. shipping is charged as % of final price so it woudln't be too terrible. they're 16 GBP a sheet.

Li Kao

Sup' guys ?
I had a 4-5 months burnout and just when I thought I definitely couldn't indulge in this time sink hobby I'm heading to the store to buy some starter 40k... Good God.

Buy list
How to start 40k magazine wuth 1 fig
40k beginner set
The start painting box with Reavers

The missed White Dwarf

Still need to paint the Sigmar base set, the Sigmarines are all bombed and have just been waiting for me to come out of my hibernation.

If I still don't find the time or will to paint today or tomorrow I think I will have to sell my stuff, it's a fucking heart breaker to see my working space abandoned like that.

Sup' guys ?
I had a 4-5 months burnout and just when I thought I definitely couldn't indulge in this time sink hobby I'm heading to the store to buy some starter 40k... Good God.

Not much, trying to get some Eldar painted.

A word of advice, buy only one kit at the time If you feel like the hobby might burn you out. No new plastic until that kit is painted. :)

...that being said, who doesn't like buying minis? I know I do..

Faiz

How chrome are you wanting? Do you have a want that reflective mirror-like chrome? If so you are pretty out of luck as far as brush on acrylics. Vallejo has a nice bright silver called chrome but doesn't have that mirror like finish. Vallejo Liquid Silver from the Liquid Gold line would be closer but still not mirror like, but that's an alcohol based paint and can be difficult to work with.

There may be an enamel or something used more in the modeling world that's closer but I'm not really up to date with what goes on in scale modeling these days. Unless you are really set on a mirror like finish I would just go with the brightest silver you can easily find.

So I have some updates to these comments.

I gave Vallejo's Metal Color a try.

It's amazing. It's like acrylic alchemy. Even brushed on Aluminum has a very nearly a chrome-like sheen, and it's not even the brightest/shiniest in the line. It's not mirror like, you won't get a glassy reflection, but it is completely absent of glittery flakes in the finish.

Downsides: only available in large 32ml bottles at about $10 a pop, but can be found less than $8 if you look. It's an airbrush paint so it is already very thin and will take maybe 3 coats to get a good solid base coat with a paintbrush.

I've been incredibly slow painting ever since I started last year but hope to be able to show my Bloodreaver chieftain this weekend which is what I tested Metal Color out on. Hopefully pics do the axe justice. I'm stunned how it's turned out.

2-Terms of Kombat
Even when I take breaks from painting I'm always giddy about adding to my mini backlog.

Currently I'm working on:

A squad of about a dozen Combined Army from Infinity.

Dark Souls

Starcraft + Expansion

Doom 3 + Expansion

Doom 2016

Miscellaneous 40k pieces

I've also got TMNT: Shadows of the Past in the pipe.

And yet I still look for new things to (eventually) paint. I've never had a hobby quite like this one.

I'll probably end up dulling the flat of the blade and highlighting the edge in white/silver and see how that works; admittedly I just stopped with a single coat of steel there. I had considered an additional highlight to the fur but talked myself out of it. I always worry about creating an exaggerated gradient or losing the base color by highlighting too much; guess I need to ignore that and go for it.

Thanks for the critique. This is something I'm determined to get better at so I really do appreciate feedback.

Yeah, you have to balance my criticism with your own style. I am a huge fan of cartoonish, colorful miniatures. I like to see everything pop and glow. Obviously my opinion my clash with your own painting goals. A good middle ground would be a single subtle highlight on those areas, whereas I would go 3 layers and end with white for max pop!

Leunam

barik

^ I love the red highlight on the grey on the model on the right. Great color scheme on both models in general, white/grey/black plus one strong color always looks great. Will you be basing them at all?

I sometimes get that; I never got past it with the Imperial Fists :( .

A bit of weathering and unified basing and that unit would be very unified (besides the huge variety of model types!).

That power fist plague marine brings back great memories. He has aged really nicely.

The power fist dude and the Mark IV are the best schemes btw.

I didn't reply to this at the time, but thanks! Eventually I did decide to bite the bullet and went for the scheme that you mentioned, I'm properly working on the first model of the army right now.

In the meantime I went and touched up/finished two projects I've posted about before, a group of old orks and a goblin warband:

tumblr_oumneqUAGU1wqfx56o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oummenbF1Z1wqfx56o1_1280.jpg

More pics and details about the models can be found on the Tumblr I started recently, including a 360 view of the (top) ork leader.

PittaGAF

With the Gryph hound miniature done today, I finally completed painting all Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower, my very first painting effort.

So worth it, I had a blast (both in painting and with the game, best dungeon crawler ever since the original one...already fully completed it several times with different parties).

Took a bit over a year to paint, but to be honest I had the whole game painted long ago but for 3 characters I didn't use that much.

Ordering a Chaos Warrior now as my new character (basically a leveled up Darkoath chieftain), can't wait to paint it.

Meanwhile I'm playing AoS skirmishes with my son using some Silver Tower miniatures against his Phoenix guards.

It is an expensive hobby, but the sheer value of Silver Tower really exceeded my expectation and I really got a ton of fun back from the money spent in the game, glue and the starter painting box.

Not to mention me and my son both love to play and paint together.

Top Bottom