• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

I look forward to 8th edition. I personally was not a fan at all of 7th Edition in large part to it feeling like they almost did nothing to the game.... just wanting to print new books and get out the new box set (though it was an awesome box set).

The new rules sound excellent and will hopefully invigorate our groups enthusiasm for the game. Lot of stuff sounds like it will greatly increase the speed of play and fix some things that I didn't care for before, such as only allowing the front rank to attack in combat. Also those hard to break units who just hold your units in place taking hits for several turns will now actually be forced to take casualties.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I sold my Tau army in 2007 for the sum of 650 dollars
in order to help pay for an imac
. I have never felt right about it.

I really want to start an Ogre army and a new Tau Army. My mobile mech tactics were unstoppable : (

Mechanized armies are all the rage in 40k now, the vehicles being made tougher overall and passengers not being as badly hurt when their ride is taken out have made it a very powerful thing. Though lot of folks have been bitching about it since too many people are just taking lots of transports and having troops sit in them and shoot out.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
shit, my mech tactics were way ahead of their time then.

Tau drop ship, unload troops, fuck up baddies, load em up and move out before they can do shit.

Well the rules now support mechanized armies much more now. In 4th Edition transports were death traps for troops to be in. Lot of complaining and debate about how 5th Ed has pushed shooting to the forefront and how powerful vehicle based armies have become.

BattleMonkey said:
I look forward to 8th edition. I personally was not a fan at all of 7th Edition in large part to it feeling like they almost did nothing to the game.... just wanting to print new books and get out the new box set (though it was an awesome box set).

Yeah, not enough rules changes in 7th for my liking either, this looks like it'll shake things up a bit more.

GW have released an announcement trailer by the way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6LPRV-cQSw

Calling it Warhammer 2010 instead of Warhammer 8th edition maybe?

Well they usually don't advertise what edition the game really is anymore and just always call it it's basic name, though the fans know what edition of the game it is :)

Think putting a VERSION 8 on the game does not instill confidence to the buyers..... we can't get it right!

I've been away from Warhammer Fantasy for some time, felt my Orcs were kinda weak overall and with the 7E army book they changed to much that I never got around to fixing my army. Rumors of them getting the next army book for an update to 8E though might bring me back to finishing up my O&G army.

Originally it was a pure Orc army and well.... it didn't seem to work out too well.... you really need goblins mixed in for the greenies to work.

BattleMonkey said:
The figs they use in their pics also are generally original resin casts and not the plastic they use, so you get more detailed looking figs that are much crisper than the production versions.

Yup, modern rackham you pay through the nose for bendy shit plastic with paint jobs by little china kids.

Finished this fleet up today. Shroud Mages for the Uncharted Seas fantasy naval game. They are basically the "evil" dwarf race who practice dark magic. The ships are meant to be ironclad style of ships, though designed more for up close and personal combat. Regular dwarf ships in contrast appear more sleek and armored to these. The crappy camera and the shine of the metal though doesn't make them look to hot... look nice up close with the detail in the metal like scratches and rust spots.

4538879119_af79a002d3.jpg

fizzelopeguss said:
Yup, modern rackham you pay through the nose for bendy shit plastic with paint jobs by little china kids.

Yea it's a big difference, though in some ways the new game is actually kind of better rule wise, their previous editions were a bit weak in the rule department. They are not trying to be more value oriented with their sales so it's not as much as a rip off anymore, the new 2000 point army boxes for around $60 online are killer deals. Even if you don't like the game, the figs are great buys just for the included terrain, and for use in stuff like roleplaying games.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Forge World
Imperial Armour Volume 8: Raid on Kastorel Novem is out now. It includes the Elysian Drop Troop army list updated for 5th ed and a new Dread Mob army list for ork players. It also has some new stuff for the Raven Guard chapter.

In other 40k news, it seems rumors are that the Inquisition is getting the next 40k release instead of Dark Eldar simply because of the new stormraven kit. And the supposed cover art that was leaked months ago.

4589616128_08a7145e74.jpg

The new GK termies sure are looking busier than usual.

You have to buy White Dwarf issue to get Spearhead rules from what I understand. So not totally free. Formation rules will be posted on their website for free. Formation rules basically sound like they are going to be like the Apocalypse data sheets with special rules added.

Interested in seeing what exactly is unique about Spearhead, since you can basically already do all vehicle/tank games by just using Apocalypse rules.

hoverX

What's the verdict on the MK2 warmachine rules? There seems to be a growing interest in this game in my city (and on the web) and I might check it out. I've been to the GW near my place and it looks like it's just a bunch of kids.

Magicked

hoverX said:
What's the verdict on the MK2 warmachine rules? There seems to be a growing interest in this game in my city (and on the web) and I might check it out. I've been to the GW near my place and it looks like it's just a bunch of kids.

I should be able to answer this question, but can't unfortunately. I bought the rulebook about 6 or 7 months ago and still haven't played. :(

Looks like Rackham is going out of business possibly once again. *sigh*, what a waste of good IP's.

In other semi related news, Dust Tactics just came out this week!

4742495190_ba4dbda923_b.jpg

It's a miniature game that is packaged like a board game in that you get a complete 2 player set of armies and all you need to play in the box. They are also going to sell booster packs for about $15-$20 which let you buy individual squads to add on to the collection. Expansions also will include full figure sets for two armies. Game is set in an alternate WWII setting where the discovery of alien technology by the Germans extended the conflict and introduced all kinds of new tech to the war.

hoverX said:

Warmachine MK2 is just a cleaned up version of Warmachine. One of the biggest improvements made to the game was they made the large warjacks better. The game in it's original edition had grown to play best for armies made up of lots of infantry and people were using very little actual warmachines (the game is called Warmachine damnit). So the improvements to the rules does promote more usage of the jacks which is really nice as I feel that's where the games best mechanics are. Trooper rules are very simplistic and just not as fun as the more complex machines.

hoverX

Dust Tactics does look pretty cool. I'm going to see how they handle the booster packs before buying it though.

After reading some of the earlier comments regarding Warmachine I might hold off on the game and see what the local players are like. GW does have a much bigger user base in Toronto than warmachine. I like the wm factions a lot more than most of the GW ones though.

The games are very different so just see if you can find people to play with the game you're most interested in. GW games have the largest appeal of them all, but if it's not something you're into then you shouldn't force yourself into it because it's what all the cool kids play.

Dust Tactics is meant to be 2 players out of the box, you don't really have to collect anymore figs. They are marketing it as both a miniature game, and a board game. There will also be boosters and extra rules for those wanting to make it more complex and like a regular miniature game. Boosters are basically the individual units that come in the box sets, but sold in smaller sets for those wanting to create custom forces beyond whats in the box. So far the pricing is about $15-$20 for a squad of infantry men, plastic and prebuilt and preprimed.

hoverX

Bah! So I lost interest in wargaming for a while but now my interest is piqued again. still can't decide on 40k or war machine!! If it was up to me I'd play lotr but good luck finding people to play that!

Whats more popular by you? Best to just find a group and ask around stores if there are people who can show you around the games. Most stores usually have a single major wargame that they play, few seem to fully support multiple games and the player bases will divide themselves depeding on where what is played.

hoverX

There are actually quite a few stores around my area including a GW. I think I'm going to check each one out on their respective games night and see which ones seem cool. i.e. Not full of kids but a decent number of players.

Fantasy>>>>40k

A few years ago, I assembled a 2500 point or so Vampire Counts army, painted those motherfuckers, spent untold hours forming them into regiments and getting them set up, and then... never played. It was partially because I actually had stuff to do back then, but also partially because I was terrified they'd all break if I tried to transport them.

I took a look at them the other day, and my god they looked awful. I'm really shitty at painting those things. I have no clue why I thought they were so awesome. Now I understand how parents can love their ugly children I guess.

X26

Banned
Back when I was a kid there was a comic shop in the mall called Webslingers that had a huge display case where they would put warhammer and the like miniatures on display loved going down and looking at the.

hoverX said:
There are actually quite a few stores around my area including a GW. I think I'm going to check each one out on their respective games night and see which ones seem cool. i.e. Not full of kids but a decent number of players.

You should be able to get a demo at a GW store. Warmachine is also a good popula game that is good for someome to start as it's smaller in scale generally so you can start smaller easier.

theinfinityissue said:
Fantasy>>>>40k

A few years ago, I assembled a 2500 point or so Vampire Counts army, painted those motherfuckers, spent untold hours forming them into regiments and getting them set up, and then... never played. It was partially because I actually had stuff to do back then, but also partially because I was terrified they'd all break if I tried to transport them.

I took a look at them the other day, and my god they looked awful. I'm really shitty at painting those things. I have no clue why I thought they were so awesome. Now I understand how parents can love their ugly children I guess.

Do think Fantasy is a better game, though it seems always easier to find 40k players. Fantasy being more complex seems to scare players away while 40k is much easier for the casual public.

I think everyone goes through the same thing with their painted figures, their original tries make you all happy but going back and looking at them years later.... yea pretty bad. My first pained army was this large Capitol army for the game Warzone and I was so proud of myself, but looking at it now... hideous.

Salazar

hoverX said:

I believe the nearest GW store to me (Queen St Mall in Brisbane) has closed down, its premises used for the expansion of a music shop. Irritating.

I've been painting like a motherfucker for the past few weeks. Sanguinary Guard (feathers are a bitch), Cadian shock troops, a stack of ordinary space marines, some Skaven. I've tried to diverge from the ordinary Skaven template and I've made them look respectable, as if they have eaten and washed and have a bit of self-respect.

hoverX said:
I thought the strategy was simpler in Wfb compared to 40k but I've only read the rulebook circa 2000

Perhaps on paper it seems simpler, but playing it, WFB is a much more strategic game that requires much more tactical play. Movement and positioning is a huge part of Warhammer Fantasy. Lot of Fantasy players look down on 40K as being a more casual and simple game.

hoverX

What do people have to say about the imbalance between different armies on 40k? If this is true, seems like a real turnoff.

Bought the Retribution of Scryah army book today. Not planning on buliding an army just yet but it piqued my interest.

There isn't a miniature game that I have played that doesn't have some form of inbalance between factions (and I play and have played alot). The nature of the beast of this type of gaming will always have things a bit on uneven ground and really lot of it is just player perception. Games are constantly being updated with companies only capable of doing updates a little at a time. A single rule change can completely change the way an army plays in any game and it happens all the time. Warhammer games are constantly getting updated and it has more armies than most other games out there, so sometimes some armies fall behind in the power curve because they haven't been updated in a while.

Warmachine/Hordes players have a real shitty attitude for some reason where they hate on most things that aren't one of Privateer Press own games, perhaps it has to do with being the 2nd place big game that is often found competing for table space at gameshops? They often when trying to teach someone a game, spend half their time talking about GW games and how awful they are, it is pretty annoying. I've seen it so much and had organizers at league play for Warmachine doing this to newbies and it really always set me off. Let a player try and enjoy games for themselves, sell the game on it's own merits and not by trying to scare a person off.

And Warmachine/Hordes has balance issues as well despite it's fans claims. It was touted as one of the best most balanced games by the fanboys who often argued claims by other non believers, but then when they did 2nd edition of the game pretty much all those issues were confirmed as not being made up. All the balance issues that the naysayers were putting out that the fanboys defended so much, were all on the agenda of being fixed for 2nd edition, yet before it was always "the way it was intended" and "perfect".

Don't get me wrong the game systems are good, but I strongly dislike the games fanbase.

Too old to bump? Couldn't see a newer thread.

I've been getting back into Warmachine after a 5-month break. I've still barely played it, only the odd skirmish with my brother, but I have a Khador and Cygnar force each consisting of a battlegroup box plus a few units and solos.

I've gone for a traditional paintjob style with the Khador, a typical red and grey soviet scheme.
widowmakersblog.jpg

butcherfront.jpg

But with Cygnar I wanted something a bit different, so I went TMNT on it.

tbWJE.jpg

ox2Wm.jpg

My painting is still pretty bad. I did a lot of Warhammer painting in the late 90s when I was a teen but gave up WHFB and 40k because they were too expensive for a 15 year old to afford! So after a nearly 15 year break I'm back into these kind of things.

My main interest for play is definitely Warmachine. I like the smaller armies and quicker gameplay. I am still tempted by Warhammer Fantasy though, and some of the newer races and evolutions of old ones look fab. I love how Undead has become Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings. I really like the look of those Tomb Kings, so unique. I still think of Lizardmen and Brettonians as new, though!

Painted a Skaven two-rat gun thing of some kind from the Warhammer Box I got given already, that was a lot of fun. I picked up a box of Skaven clanrats to paint one day, and got 10 night goblins in a paint set which were fun to paint.
Kf9U9.png

As you can see my skills are somewhat average but I enjoyed working on these guys. I kinda want to get some squigs.

I think I might stick to Warmachine for play and just paint WH for fun at this point. Maybe getting into it again further down the line. I was interested in trying out the new Finecast line but seeing the backlash over the quality issues has made me want to hold off a little.

Salazar

lol. I'll take some pics of my recent painting tomorrow.

I have an almost finished Canis Wolfborn that turned out a hell of a lot better than I thought it would.

Salazar said:
lol. I'll take some pics of my recent painting tomorrow.

I have an almost finished Canis Wolfborn that turned out a hell of a lot better than I thought it would.

I'd like to see your Cadians, if you've got time. Had a little troop of Cadians back in the day. Love those little IG bastards.

Really wish I had time to collect and paint miniatures these days, but alas not to be. Dust looks incredible, reminds me of the gorgeously detailed but utterly overly-complex Gear Krieg - of which I had, what, three German walkers of? Too expensive to field an entire army of DP9 minis, but offset with Flames of War minis, it did the trick.

EDIT: Here was some terrifically-sculpted Zandris IV minis that was my last project before moving overseas. Zandris IV miniatures have to be one of the best cottage industry-grade sculpts ever. Check out his stuff, and fairly cheap all things considered.

Anyway, Homeworld fanboy through and through, thus the paint scheme.

2gxhboz.jpg

Salazar

Pylon_Trooper said:
I'd like to see your Cadians, if you've got time. Had a little troop of Cadians back in the day. Love those little IG bastards.

Yeah, they're a joy to paint. I still have a bunch left undercoated and ready to start on. If the weather turns terrible or I sprain an ankle or something, I'll get into them.

Android18a said:
But with Cygnar I wanted something a bit different, so I went TMNT on it.

I like em. Really don't know why but most WM players tend to stick to the themed colors of the army and don't seem to often try different things. When I played WM I made a merc force just to be different and loved painting all my jacks and such a hodge podge of color schemes since they were not really a unified force.

BattleMonkey said:
I like em. Really don't know why but most WM players tend to stick to the themed colors of the army and don't seem to often try different things. When I played WM I made a merc force just to be different and loved painting all my jacks and such a hodge podge of color schemes since they were not really a unified force.

Yeah I've noticed this. I love seeing alternate schemes. I saw some really cool khaki-coloured Khador warjacks that were very cool.

Sorry to necro this, but I wonder if there are still some people into this stuff around?

I play WHFB (Warhammer Fantasy Battles) and I'm really into the whole thing. I have fluff (backstory) for my army and all. I have about 5000 pts worth of Warriors of Chaos.

IMG_0307.jpg

I played but really haven't touched WHFB since 8E came out. Actually trying to sell off my Orcs and Goblins army that never really got finished off sadly, just haven't been able to get in many games and I just don't feel like playing at times because of how much work it is to set up and clean up.... generally much more than 40k and many other games that require less figures to play. 8E rule set also has killed interest with a bunch of the locals sadly.

BattleMonkey said:
I played but really haven't touched WHFB since 8E came out. Actually trying to sell off my Orcs and Goblins army that never really got finished off sadly, just haven't been able to get in many games and I just don't feel like playing at times because of how much work it is to set up and clean up.... generally much more than 40k and many other games that require less figures to play. 8E rule set also has killed interest with a bunch of the locals sadly.
I came back in at 8 lol. But yeah, it killed the scene for a bit there. However it is picking up again at my local. Just bought my tix to a tournament next month :D

Fonds

1zm2pz8.jpg

This is the start of my Dark Angels army for 40k. I've gotten a bit more done since that pic was taken, but haven't touched a brush in a while now.

Should really get back to finishing that army.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
always wanted to get into miniatures... custom painted troops, rad designs, big turn based gameplay. shit is right up my alley.

Fonds said:
This is the start of my Dark Angels army for 40k. I've gotten a bit more done since that pic was taken, but haven't touched a brush in a while now.

Should really get back to finishing that army.
Yellow looks good. Hard to do a good yellow!

Warhams002.jpg

Various024.jpg

Find the only way to do yellow very well to me is to use spray or an airbrush to base coat it on. Painting it by hand it's always a pain, but found it really comes out nice and crisp with an airbrush.

ATM I play three things:

Malifaux
WHFB
Dystopian Wars

Anyone tried the last one? Tis awesome. Apparently Ottomans are going to come out eventually for it too.. can't wait.

Top Bottom