• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minish Cap: Desaturated?

TMC is all pastels, which I don't much like either. I'm sure it will be more varied in the final version. These screens likely represent a small portion of the playable demo.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
er. it just looks like someone upped the brightness too much. theres a white overlay on those screens.

oh the one on th e left?

how the hell is that desaturated? it looks hella saturated.

jarrod

Banned
Well as far as advocating Zelda games in different genres, I'd take a Hyrule Tactics themed game. Maybe even work with Square Enix Division 4 (old Quest team) on it. :)

Teddman

Catchpenny said:
I hope San Andreas introduces some new gameplay elements as well. The combat should be KOTOR style, since everyone loved the combat engine from that game. Also, armor upgrades should work like the shields in Halo. Oooh, and maybe you could go around playing a mini-game of cards that have the faces of various NPCs!

Playable prostitutes should be in, too. That would add a lot to the game.
Funny, I was thinking that they should call it Grand Theft Auto: The Pimpish Hand instead.

The main character must be Tommy Vercetti from Vice City once again (I never want a new protagonist or playable character, ever), but this time let's do something cool--have him be able to be able to change phase between a "dark world" and a "light world" by virtue of the "pimpish hand"! It's an exciting new magical item that allows him to change his race instantaneously between African-American and Caucasian.

Other than that, I want everything to remain exactly the same as the last game. Because you know, change is automatically bad.

AniHawk

Teddman said:
Funny, I was thinking that they should call it Grand Theft Auto: The Pimpish Hand instead.

The main character must be Tommy Vercetti from Vice City once again (I never want a new protagonist or playable character, ever), but this time let's do something cool--have him be able to be able to change phase between a "dark world" and a "light world" by virtue of the "pimpish hand"! It's an exciting new magical item that allows him to change his race instantaneously between African-American and Caucasian.

Other than that, I want everything to remain exactly the same as the last game. Because you know, change is automatically bad.

Because every Zelda game's been exactly the same as the last. Right.

Instead of throwing out these ideas of you being able to play as Zelda and Ganondorf, how about you tell me exactly how that will change the gameplay, and make it seem a lot more fresh and new. I'm always hearing these complaints, but no one ever offers an actual example.

Teddman

AniHawk said:
Because every Zelda game's been exactly the same as the last. Right.

Instead of throwing out these ideas of you being able to play as Zelda and Ganondorf, how about you tell me exactly how that will change the gameplay, and make it seem a lot more fresh and new. I'm always hearing these complaints, but no one ever offers an actual example.
You utterly miss my point, which was to take the absurd extremes Catchpenny went to in lampooning my ideas and turn them on their head. I wasn't saying all Zelda games are exact carbon copies.

It's called parody.

Gee, how do you think controlling a new character would change gameplay? You'd have different abilities, a different plot, new scenarios, etc. A support character could change the dynamic of battle, like Secret of Mana or Final Fantasy Adventure. And I trust I don't have to go into detail in exactly how a traditional Zelda RPG would change mechanics.

AniHawk

Teddman said:
You utterly miss my point, which was to take the absurd extremes Catchpenny went to in lampooning my ideas and turn them on their head. I wasn't saying all Zelda games are exact carbon copies.

It's called parody.

Gee, how do you think controlling a new character would change gameplay? You'd have different abilities, a different plot, new scenarios, etc. A support character could change the dynamic of battle, like Secret of Mana or Final Fantasy Adventure. And I trust I don't have to go into detail in exactly how a traditional Zelda RPG would change mechanics.

A parody you say? Why, I had no idea that was what you were doing!

Controlling a different character could open up new abilities, but why control Ganondorf? Why? Why not introduce someone new to the series? Why does everyone have this fascination with playing as Zelda? There can be a cool female warrior in a Zelda game (there have been already).

Making Zelda an RPG wouldn't help things. It'd just take away from the series. I believe there are things in the game which simply cannot be touched for the sake of the series staying within the Zelda universe. The way it sounds, you want a Super Mario RPG set in the Zelda universe. I can think of at least four different scenarios for the next Zelda game coming out on the GC which don't have the same basic plot, and different types of gameplay for Link's swordfighting which wouldn't yank the whole Zelda feeling out of the series.

As I said before, I think the game appearing darker, and Link looking a lot more grown up can have changes made to the series so it can evolve, not changes for the sake of changes.

jarrod

Banned
Teddman said:
Majora's Mask's 3 forms (Deku, Zora & Goron) essentially did the same thing actually. God that game rules. :)

I also liked the character swapping/puzzle solving in TWW (which was also started in MM in the Wedding Mask subquest). Hopefully there's dual characters/puzzles in the next console Zelda.

jarrod

Banned
AniHawk said:
Making Zelda an RPG wouldn't help things.
Won't ever happen anyway. Miyamoto doesn't like traditional RPGs, he thinks they're too slow and boring. And seeing as Nintendo's reluctant to pimp their non-mascot franchises into entirely new genres (usually that privelage is really reserved for mainly Mario, Pokemon & Kirby) I doubt it'll happen anythime soon.

AniHawk

jarrod said:
Won't ever happen anyway. Miyamoto doesn't like traditional RPGs, he thinks they're too slow and boring. And seeing as Nintendo's reluctant to pimp their non-mascot franchises into entirely new genres (usually that privelage is really reserved for mainly Mario, Pokemon & Kirby) I doubt it'll happen anythime soon.

The only game I can see any other genres would be an action RPG, like Zelda 2 except good, and if there's ever a game that's a sidestory not featuring Link, it could be a strategy RPG war game set between the 7 years in OoT.

cvxfreak

jarrod said:

And Donkey Kong. :)

Gattsu25

Banned
jarrod said:

Miyamoto's there to please the fans...it can happen

Teddman

I think a couple spin-off games would be great for the Zelda series. I mean, if it had never been done, most people would say that a Super Mario RPG would never work. Mario's world doesn't seem nearly as RPG-friendly as Zelda's. And yet things turned out great, and Paper Mario 2 is looking really promising.

Ganondorf would be cool to control because he's always been the forbidden enemy. He's the series' requisite badass, and it would add to his dimension as a longstanding character to see another side of him. I'd liken it to playing as Alucard in Castlevania: SOTN. Plus, you'd have the thrill of wreaking havoc with Ganon's powerful attacks, instead of defending against them, for once.
For example, it was a treat when Bowser joined your party in Super Mario RPG and a great surprise for fans.

You like the main Zelda series the way it is, that's fine. But it's not as if traditional Mario games have stopped coming out because they also diversified the franchise in other games. Yoshi's Island is one of the very best Mario titles, and it had a new protagonist, with new abilities that fundamentally changed the gameplay in exciting ways. And yet it was still very much a Mario game. Do you see what I'm driving at?

I thought Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, (and by all appearences, the upcoming GC Zelda) introduced some good new elements to the series, but they could have gone even further. The 2D Zeldas appear to be Nintendo's way of giving fans the tried-and-true Zelda of old without too much variation. For me, something like Minish Cap doesn't hold much interest.

Nintendo seems to be playing it pretty safe with the Zelda series, and I wish they'd do something radical for a change.

EDIT: Yeah, I mean that they've been playing it safe on the GameBoy Zeldas.

jarrod

Banned
Teddman said:
Nintendo seems to be playing it pretty safe with the Zelda series, and I wish they'd do something radical for a change
Too the contrary, I'd say MM and TWW were rather risky departures in various fundamental ways (world design, visual style, subquest emphasis, etc) especially after OoT, which was essentially a more solid 3D ALTTP retread. If anything, it's Capcom's GBA Zeldas that stick more closely to tradition, and even they are hugely enjoyable and varied beyond EAD's old 2D stuff.

The new GCN Zelda looks to be a step backwards in some ways I think. Though it's still a bit early to tell really. :/

AniHawk

Teddman said:
I think a couple spin-off games would be great for the Zelda series. I mean, if it had never been done, most people would say that a Super Mario RPG would never work. Mario's world doesn't seem nearly as RPG-friendly as Zelda's. And yet things turned out great, and Paper Mario 2 is looking really promising.

Ganondorf would be cool to control because he's always been the forbidden enemy. He's the series' requisite badass, and it would add to his dimension as a longstanding character to see another side of him. I'd liken it to playing as Alucard in Castlevania: SOTN. Plus, you'd have the thrill of wreaking havoc with Ganon's powerful attacks, instead of defending against them, for once.
For example, it was a treat when Bowser joined your party in Super Mario RPG and a great surprise for fans.

Okay. That makes sense. I think the way Bowser was used as an ally was incredibly cheesy (in both SMRPG and M&L), so that gives me doubts of how Ganondorf would be able to be a playable character unless you were taking over. I had in my opinion, a real kickass idea for a Zelda game which took place before Ocarina of Time, expanded on Ganondorf's humanity which was first shown in TWW, show the origins of TLOZ, the war before OoT, and a new style of swordplay without starring Link or any destined hero.

Teddman said:
You like the main Zelda series the way it is, that's fine. But it's not as if traditional Mario games have stopped coming out because they also diversified the franchise in other games. Yoshi's Island is one of the very best Mario titles, and it had a new protagonist, with new abilities that fundamentally changed the gameplay in exciting ways. And yet it was still very much a Mario game. Do you see what I'm driving at?

I thought Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, (and by all appearences, the upcoming GC Zelda) introduced some good new elements to the series, but they could have gone even further. The 2D Zeldas appear to be Nintendo's way of giving fans the tried-and-true Zelda of old without too much variation. For me, something like Minish Cap doesn't hold much interest.

I welcome additions to the Zelda series. However, I'd like to see them mixed into the gameplay in a workable fashion. I don't want the Zelda games to become clones of others by the inclusions of extra characters or pushing it into different genres.

Top Bottom