• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minna no Rhythm Tengoku play impressions

mutsu

Picked up the game yesterday (on my birthday, hooray!). Played it for about an hour last night, so I thought I would give some early impressions here.

First off, the game feels HARD. Bare in mind I've played Rhythm Tengoku on GBA, and Rhythm Tengoku Gold on DS, and should be safe to say that I am pretty good at both of these (all Perfected bar 1 or 2 songs). I am only up to the 10th stage (2nd remix), but I have already struggled through a few of the stages. I don't know if it's because I played it late night and my reflexes are slow at the time, but I keep failing on some of the stages. But even with the early stages, there are many that requires 'half-beat' button presses.

The timing of the button presses seems even more punishing than ever. It seems that moving back from being touchscreen to buttons, they decided to make it even more precise. You really have to be spot on! I just can't imagine how it would be like when it comes to the Perfect Campaign challenges.

So far the music of the first 10 stages is a good mix of wacky and smoothing music. Everything you would expect from a Rhythm Tengoku game is in here.

Graphically, it's a bit of a mixed bag. Sometimes the game feels like a completely blown up GBA/DS game, especially the stage select screen and also at the end of a song when they display a small picture. It's definitely not a game that shows the graphical power of the console (and well, it never has been).

So far I really like it. It's Rhythm Heaven on the Wii! Just happy to be playing it.

EDIT:
Video impression courtesy of mehdi_san! Thank you!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65MekHZqFEI

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I loved Rhythm Tengoku, but hated Gold. Being back on buttons is great news. I do wanna check this out at some point.

If it is just input lag, surely there's a calibration setting somewhere.

Still, the GBA game was the perfect difficulty to me. Moai Doo-wop two immediately told me I wasn't getting any further in the DS game.

mutsu

Taco_Human said:
Play it on a old tube TV to check if input lag is an issue like the guy above said.

Don't have old tube TV :(

But I don't think input lag comes into play here, as I was able to play the first few songs without any issues. I just think the song's difficulty is higher in general than Gold.

rpmurphy

Does pressing A and B together to the timing feel tricky, or does it feel natural? Thanks for the first impressions.

GameE

God cant wait >_> Getting this, Zelda and Kirby this year. Sad that we gotta wait until the Fall for this, should be worth the wait. :)

mutsu

rpmurphy said:
Does pressing A and B together to the timing feel tricky, or does it feel natural? Thanks for the first impressions.

It does feel like it's more work than pressing just A or just B, especially when you release them. But it hasn't really affected my play so far.

rpmurphy

mutsu said:
It does feel like it's more work than pressing just A or just B, especially when you release them. But it hasn't really affected my play so far.
Wait, is there also just pressing B? The official site seemed to imply it was just either A or A+B.

Oh, and are you able to unlock the GBA rhythm games in the same way as the toys and games sections?

mutsu

rpmurphy said:
Wait, is there also just pressing B? The official site seemed to imply it was just either A or A+B.

Oh, and are you able to unlock the GBA rhythm games in the same way as the toys and games sections?

No there isn't just pressing B, I'm just saying if there was then pressing B by itself would have been less work than A+B. I can see why they go with A+B though, to probably increase the difficulty of the game a little.

I've only got 3 or 4 medals so far, so haven't really unlocked anything yet.

Oh yeah, 2 player mode games are unlocked as you play through the game. So far I only have 1 stage in the 2 player mode.

Arg, the grading issue was my biggest problem with Gold. The difference between high level and perfect were practically indistinguishable to me. That was the one thing they needed to fix and they messed it up. Oh well, not a deal breaker for me. I can't wait to hear some multiplayer impressions.

mehdi_san

mutsu said:
Picked up the game yesterday (on my birthday, hooray!).
Are you me? It was my birthday too yesterday, but the game only got delivered from Amazon this morning. The first couple stages I thought the game was easier than the GBA/DS version (i got 2 medals even if I missed a lot of beats). But it actually gets harder very quickly. I think i'm gonna be playing all day long today lol

mutsu

TheShampion said:
Arg, the grading issue was my biggest problem with Gold. The difference between high level and perfect were practically indistinguishable to me. That was the one thing they needed to fix and they messed it up. Oh well, not a deal breaker for me. I can't wait to hear some multiplayer impressions.

What? Do you even understand how to get Perfect?

When you play through a normal stage perfectly you will only get High Level. To get Perfect you must go to play the game when the game is under Perfect Campaign. You have 3 attempts in getting Perfect before the campaign is over.

mehdi_san said:
Are you me? It was my birthday too yesterday, but the game only got delivered from Amazon this morning. The first couple stages I thought the game was easier than the GBA/DS version (i got 2 medals even if I missed a lot of beats). But it actually gets harder very quickly. I think i'm gonna be playing all day long today lol

Is it yesterday US time or yesterday Asia time? :D I'm in Hong Kong.

Yeah you are right the first 2 stages is quite easy. In fact, even in the later stages, if you missed a lot of beats you still get 平凡 Heiboon. But I can imagine what torture it will be like to get Perfect when I come to it...

Lucky you though, I'm at work now... :(

mehdi_san

mutsu said:
Is it yesterday US time or yesterday Asia time? :D I'm in Hong Kong.

Yeah you are right the first 2 stages is quite easy. In fact, even in the later stages, if you missed a lot of beats you still get 平凡 Heiboon. But I can imagine what torture it will be like to get Perfect when I come to it...

Lucky you though, I'm at work now... :(
Yeah yesterday Asia time, I'm in Japan, and I have my day off today YAY!!
I took a video with my camera from the 1st remix stage, it's on youtube:
If you want, you could put it in the OP, so people can see how it looks/sounds like :)

rpmurphy

mutsu said:
No there isn't just pressing B, I'm just saying if there was then pressing B by itself would have been less work than A+B. I can see why they go with A+B though, to probably increase the difficulty of the game a little.

I've only got 3 or 4 medals so far, so haven't really unlocked anything yet.

Oh yeah, 2 player mode games are unlocked as you play through the game. So far I only have 1 stage in the 2 player mode.
Oh I see. I was initially disappointed that there was only the two kinds of inputs and was secretly hoping that there would be a third. I guess that would raise the difficulty exponentially though so maybe it's good that they designed it like that!

Oh and another thing: did they bring back the column size to 5 or is it still 4 like in Gold? Thanks!
EDIT: Ah I see, it's still like Gold.

Rarutos

Happy belated birthdays mutsu and mehdi_san!

And thank you for the impressions mutsu, I'm pretty hyped about this game. Good to hear it's still the same old Rhythm Heaven. Can't wait until it comes out here in the States!

I don't mind if it's difficult, it was still fun, and I know I'll get through it eventually, it's all the more satisfying that way!

jett

D-Member
mehdi_san said:
If you want, you could put it in the OP, so people can see how it looks/sounds like :)

Looks awesome, thanks for the vid. Just to confirm, there's no waggling of any kind in the game, right?

mutsu said:
What? Do you even understand how to get Perfect?

When you play through a normal stage perfectly you will only get High Level. To get Perfect you must go to play the game when the game is under Perfect Campaign. You have 3 attempts in getting Perfect before the campaign is over.
The point I was trying to make was that in order to get high level, it seems like you have to make absolutely no mistakes in some of the levels. My gf played one of the levels and only had one mistake on the DS version and got average.

Maybe what I should have said is that there is too close a gap to average and high level? Either way, the game doesn't seem really fair to me on its grading. The game itself is great though, don't misunderstand me there.

Edit: In music game terms, the grading feels more akin to Beatmania (80% just to pass) than DDR (just need to survive). I feel like the game should be more like DDR.

I also feel like having only three times to perfect a level is kinda bullshit too, but I understand the reasoning behind it (they want you to not get too frustrated and move on, I believe),

Vard

Also interested in hearing multiplayer impressions - can all levels/songs be played in 2P? Is there a 4P, or even 8P, mode like Wario Ware Wii? Not sure how far they went with the multiplayer but would like to know.

rpmurphy

TheShampion said:
The point I was trying to make was that in order to get high level, it seems like you have to make absolutely no mistakes in some of the levels. My gf played one of the levels and only had one mistake on the DS version and got average.

Maybe what I should have said is that there is too close a gap to average and high level? Either way, the game doesn't seem really fair to me on its grading. The game itself is great though, don't misunderstand me there.
Yeah, the grading scale does indeed appear like a mystery, mostly because how lenient the game is seem to depend fairly widely from one game to the next. At least though, you should try to avoid any major mistakes and make as few minor ones in order to get a high level rating.

mutsu

TheShampion said:

Edit: In music game terms, the grading feels more akin to Beatmania (80% just to pass) than DDR (just need to survive). I feel like the game should be more like DDR.

I also feel like having only three times to perfect a level is kinda bullshit too, but I understand the reasoning behind it (they want you to not get too frustrated and move on, I believe),

You can break each stage into different "objectives", e.g. in Robot Factory, you will have different types of robot. If you only know how to time your beat in a certain type of robot, then you will most certainly not get High Level. Also, each stage is usually split into beginning, middle, and end section. If you keep messing up during a particular section of the stage, then you will also not get High Level.

You are right in that it doesn't really tell you how you've messed up, but you should be given slight clues in the visual and the "boink" sounds when you miss a beat.

Vard said:
Also interested in hearing multiplayer impressions - can all levels/songs be played in 2P? Is there a 4P, or even 8P, mode like Wario Ware Wii? Not sure how far they went with the multiplayer but would like to know.

Not all stages have 2P.

Only 2P in this game, nothing more.

Don't have multiplayer impressions yet.... need to persuade my wife to try this game first :p

Vard

mutsu said:
Not all stages have 2P.

Only 2P in this game, nothing more.

Don't have multiplayer impressions yet.... need to persuade my wife to try this game first :p
That's a little disappointing but not surprising either. If it's as fun overall as the DS one I'll be getting my money's worth though.

Sagitario

Looks really smooth. Can't wait to be addicted again [sessions of 4 hours... no going to sleep until 4am >_<].

I hope they fix the loading/screen transitions when replaying stages.

The game looks pretty awesome. Just like it should look.

I'm curious, though... When you see stage introductions, it tells you to push Plus for something... What does plus do?

mutsu

Why would you do that? said:
The game looks pretty awesome. Just like it should look.

I'm curious, though... When you see stage introductions, it tells you to push Plus for something... What does plus do?

It pauses the game.

otmane

Are there many voiced songs?
I want to wait for the european release to show NoE support for bringing those games here! But I hated the english translation of the songs in the DS version and I'd rather have them in japanese...

mutsu

otmane said:
Are there many voiced songs?
I want to wait for the european release to show NoE support for bringing those games here! But I hated the english translation of the songs in the DS version and I'd rather have them in japanese...

Don't know yet. I just came across the first one at stage
3rd Remix

Man getting owned pretty bad at this game. I am getting normal on almost every level! I remember back at Gold, I got lots of High Level on my first go.

Oh yeah, first really really awesome song at Wrestler Interview stage. So catchy and cannot get it out of my brain!

See for yourself if you want to be spoiled - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hPutxRGpBQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=105s

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
mutsu said:
3rd Remix

Man getting owned pretty bad at this game. I am getting normal on almost every level! I remember back at Gold, I got lots of High Level on my first go.

Oh yeah, first really really awesome song at Wrestler Interview stage. So catchy and cannot get it out of my brain!

See for yourself if you want to be spoiled - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hPutxRGpBQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=105s

Monkey Clock (I don't remember the actual name) is awesome and hard.

kiryogi

Banned
Haha wow. The wrestler game is their new take on the DJ game from the original. Sooo awesome. I love how much more emotion and detail is expressed in the visuals too. Can't wait for my copy this weekend.

mutsu

sprsk said:
Monkey Clock (I don't remember the actual name) is awesome and hard.

Yes Monkey Clock is also a good song (and yes, hard...), but Wrestler Interview is what makes Rhythm Tengoku, Rhythm Tengoku!

mutsu

Oh yeah, I like how there are 2 stages so far that have references and paying homage to some Game & Watch games. Nice touches!

i'm pleasantly surprised that this game is played one-handed - i was expecting NES (or GBA) style sideways remote usage. i can play it lying down in bed! couldn't do that with waggle.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
mehdi_san said:
I'm sold.
mutsu said:
3rd Remix

That's just incredible.

Oh my, that looks awesome.

Okay, I think I'll double dip YET AGAIN for this game. And I won't regret it AGAIN!
Just ordered it from play-asia.
Will buy the PAL version once it comes out, too.

I WILL PLAY THE SHIT OUTTA THIS!!!

I fucking love Rhythm Tengoku <3

mutsu said:
3rd Remix

Wow, ever since seeing this, I've had "depudepudepu desu ka" stuck in my head. :( Japanese version ruined the US version confirmed.

mutsu

Why would you do that? said:
Wow, ever since seeing this, I've had "depudepudepu desu ka" stuck in my head. :( Japanese version ruined the US version confirmed.

That's exactly what is happening to me too! But I have a :) on my face

otmane

Anyone knows what's the cheapest way to import this game to Europe (France) ? I think I'll do what I've already done with the DS version and double dip!!

sfried

kiryogi said:
I have zero faith in the US version for the remix and the wrestler song.
I have some faith considering the credits song and karate man US dubs of Rhythm Heaven DS were fantastic (and considering they got to dub it in other languages too).

Just...not the fan club girl. "HEY BABY! HOW'S IT GOING?"

Top Bottom