• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minor: Nintendo files Declaration of Use for Metroid: Other M trademark

RK128

I do wonder what would piss people off more: Other M 2 or Federation Force 2?

Boy, I honestly didn't mind Federation Force. It respected Metroid lore and tried to feel like a Metroid Prime game with gameplay/controls. Wasn't the best way to re-visit that gameplay style but it was still a fun game despite it's issues.

Other M is far more insulting due to it's toxic and horrid story. If they try to make another story on that level of quality, people will be pissed. As a game Other M was okay and has a solid foundation for improvement.

Add more depth to the combat, offer stronger level design and try to be more original in settings/power-ups; that could do a lot to improve upon the frame work of Other M alone. Toss in a heavily improved story and people will be open to another game using it's style.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
So, you acknowledge it means nothing at all. Yet you posted the topic, without any accompanying discussion starter? How is this topic different from starting one titled Metroid: Other M with the post just saying Metroid: Other M?

Neff

Would buy again. Love Other M.

Was this game a bad game? Or just a bad Metroid game? I loved all three Prime games but never tried this.

There's 4 guys on NeoGAF who will tell you it's the worst game ever made but it's not.

Malyse

Wake me when a new Prime or 2D Metroid is announced for Switch.

So you want an HD remake?
P2K286e.jpg

Controversial opinion - As bad as Other M is, it's the right approach for the series going forward. Third person cinematic action with exploration elements. Maybe cut the Team Ninja combat, but otherwise Other M is not a terrible template.

RK128

Was this game a bad game? Or just a bad Metroid game? I loved all three Prime games but never tried this.

I honestly dislike it heavily for it's story but as an action title, it's mindless fun. I would have liked more depth to the combat but when you only have one button to work with (fire), its good enough. Visuals were good, music was okay, level design was lacking but controls even limited were okay.

It was mainly the story that dragged an okay game into the realm of 'bad game' level for me but if you can ignore the story (you can skip the cut-scenes if you download a completed save file) then you can have mindless action fun within the Metroid universe.

Just don't come in expecting a game on the level of Zero Mission or Metroid Prime.

L Thammy

Controversial opinion - As bad as Other M is, it's the right approach for the series going forward. Third person cinematic action with exploration elements. Maybe cut the Team Ninja combat, but otherwise Other M is not a terrible template.

The issue wasn't the Team Ninja combat, IMO, but that it was trying to hard to keep it simple. If you mash the D-pad you'd be essentially invincible because you'd just dodge everything. Let the combat have some complexity and challenge.

DMONKUMA

The issue wasn't the Team Ninja combat, IMO, but that it was trying to hard to keep it simple. If you mash the D-pad you'd be essentially invincible because you'd just dodge everything. Let the combat have some complexity and challenge.

Maybe with the experience of making Nioh they can make the combat better.

Malyse

Approach? Ok.
Tone? Nah.

Garlador

There's 4 guys on NeoGAF who will tell you it's the worst game ever made but it's not.
Worst game? Not technically, no.

... But I use no hyperbole in saying that Other M is the only game I've ever experienced that has disappointed me so strongly and made so many missteps - not JUST with the story - that it's without question my most despised and hated game of all time, by a very large margin.

I unequivocally loathe this game with every fiber in my being just as much today as when I pushed through it at launch.

Other M is not the worst game ever. Not even close. But it is without a doubt the worst Metroid game ever. That's for sure.

A pin up anime girl with impossibly tight clothes and stupid high heels that gift sure help traversing hostile planets and killing aliens. That's all you've been reduced to.

I would make a sarcastic response but I can't even remember what bullshit excuses people come up with for that shit.

I'm sure I'll be reminded soon enough, though.

Toxi

Banned
Metroid Other M is a good foundation for a future Metroid game. All you have to do is radically change the combat, the level design, the power-ups, the control scheme, the visuals, the music, and the story, and then you have a good game.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I would make a sarcastic response but I can't even remember what bullshit excuses people come up with for that shit.

I'm sure I'll be reminded soon enough, though.

So the Zero Suit kind of makes sci-fi sense as a kind of interface between Samus's body and her suit. It really exists because they wanted a stealth section without the suit in Zero Mission. And in that context, it's kind of okay. Not great, but they could have gone with the skimpy bikini from the original Metroid, so it's not the worst.

The way they've treated the Zero Suit since then is basically indefensible. It has been used to basically change the primary focus of the character's visual design from agility and power to "but check out how SEXY she is!" The ridiculous heels are beyond stupid.

Metroid Other M is a good foundation for a future Metroid game. All you have to do is radically change the combat, the level design, the power-ups, the control scheme, the visuals, the music, and the story, and then you have a good game.

If only there were a mod for Other M. If only someone cared enough about Other M to make mods for it.

So the Zero Suit kind of makes sci-fi sense as a kind of interface between Samus's body and her suit. It really exists because they wanted a stealth section without the suit in Zero Mission. And in that context, it's kind of okay. Not great, but they could have gone with the skimpy bikini from the original Metroid, so it's not the worst.

The way they've treated the Zero Suit since then is basically indefensible. It has been used to basically change the primary focus of the character's visual design from agility and power to "but check out how SEXY she is!" The ridiculous heels are beyond stupid.

Yeah, I agree on all points.

Metroid and Samus deserve a better caretaker than Nintendo, because it's clear that the company as it is now understands nothing about their appeal.

Kid Ying

Yeah. It's a good game which i fairly enjoyed. Think it's much more fun than the prime games. The gameplay is a bit bad though. Nothing that breaks the game though.

Dmax3901

Nintendo seems to be learning from their mistakes with the Switch (on paper at least), hopefully this means they're aware of Other M being the opposite of what we want.

virtualS

Worst game? Not technically, no.

... But I use no hyperbole in saying that Other M is the only game I've ever experienced that has disappointed me so strongly and made so many missteps - not JUST with the story - that it's without question my most despised and hated game of all time, by a very large margin.

I unequivocally loathe this game with every fiber in my being just as much today as when I pushed through it at launch.

Nah it's pretty great.

You know, guys, even if they make a sequel to Other M (which would probably just be Metroid 5), Samus will probably already be over all that stuff that happened and present herself as the strong character that we know... or close to that, at least.

Unless she starts having daddy issues with her computer.

Personally I actually liked MB a lot, and I want her back in the series. I do realize most people won't appreciate that.

rjc571

Banned

This criticism doesn't really hold up to scrutiny. There are plenty of action games that let you infinite guard/dodge and Other M isn't any different from them. You can spam the dodge move all you want but you need to stop to attack at some point and you are vulnerable when you attack. You usually have multiple enemies attacking you from different angles and you often need to hit enemies at a certain time and/or from a certain location, so you need to position yourself and time your attacks accordingly or else you will take damage. You can also be damaged while dodging if you dodge one enemy and your dodge takes you directly into the path of another enemy's attack.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It's a good game with a bad story

It's a decent game with a Playstation era (before MGS) story and presentation. The object of ridiculous hyperbole. I just didn't like the controls or feel of the game. I'd like if they could have pulled off a third person Metroid with much more refinement and way better level design.

Top Bottom