• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minor Wii U system update now live.

Van Owen

Banned
It's not like the wait times are bothering you because you're going back and forth between all those hot Wii U releases.

majik13

anyone know if it fixes the issue of when you log in, and it doesn't always connect you to the internet?

My launch system was fine, but since the last update, for whatever reason on 60% of the time I start up. Mii plaza thing loads fine with user messages and drawings. but my profile image is orange, and I cant access netflix because some how I am not connected to the net? I have to go to profile settings type in my password, and the re pick my profile for it to really connect me. making my profile image blue. Its very annoying.

Darvan

Netflix still crashes on startup frequently. A few 3rd party games like some Ubisoft stuff still freezes.

They've "improved" the hardlocks evidently. Now you can hold down the power button to reset the system rather than having to pull the power cable out.

I wasn't aware that they added that option since when Netflix crashed on me during loading I swear I held the power down on the console it self and it still didn't power down.

Synless

You can't turn the screen of while using the controller though. Makes sense for game where it's used as a perpetual interface (although the option for it to "sleep" until you touch it would be nice when you're only using the buttons). Not everyone has a classic controller, not is tyhe layout better suited for every type of game. If anyone can make a compelling argument why the ability to toggle it off at will is a bad idea, I would love to hear it.

edit: Never mind battery life, which is at a premium on the tablet.

Can you not shut it off manually from the sub menu? I haven't used Netflix on my Wii, but if the gamepad is always on by default that sucks.
You can shut the display off, but the controller is still on and the battery is still draining.

you can. you need to use the pro controller or wiimote:
That is what i do. It is still draining battery and it is still on, that method isn't good enough.

Darvan

anyone know if it fixes the issue of when you log in, and it doesn't always connect you to the internet?

My launch system was fine, but since the last update, for whatever reason on 60% of the time I start up. Mii plaza thing loads fine with user messages and drawings. but my profile image is orange, and I cant access netflix because some how I am not connected to the net? I have to go to profile settings type in my password, and the re pick my profile for it to really connect me. making my profile image blue. Its very annoying.

I had this happen to me once, I made an assumption thinking Nintendo does this for you to verify your account every once and awhile. Since that one time I haven't had to redo log back in. I did notice when you click your profile it does ask you for your password and then your reconnected to NN

semaanator

Neo Member
Will this make my Netflix stop fucking crashing!?

I'm with you on this one. I'm still at work (I live in Hawaii and it's still only 3:10 PM), but it would be nice to know if this issue has been resolved. I used to wonder why everyone was experiencing this problem, but me, until I recently started playing Batman Arkham City Armored Edition. I don't know why, but I have a feeling there's something funky going on with how user data is being accessed by the Netflix App, and it's causing this problem. I had not experienced a single crash until about a week and a half ago, after my user data had been created on my external hard drive. I've tried everything from uninstalling and reinstalling the entire app, uninstalling the user data, as well as manually setting my DNS settings. Netflix has been inoperable ever since and it's pretty frustrating because I try it once or twice a day, in the evening, and the screen goes black after the initial Netflix loading screen and I have to manually power down my Wii U.

In any case, has the new patch solved this issue for anyone?

You can shut the display off, but the controller is still on and the battery is still draining.
Again, you cannot shut of the display while actively using the controller. You can shut it of when you set the controller down, but as soon as you start playing it comes on again. And of course the battery will drain whenever the controller is on regardless, it'll just drain much faster with the screen lit, just like cranking the brightness, turning on wifi, or using 3D on the 3DS.

"system stability and usability?"

Maybe Hulu will only crash and hard lock the system once a week now instead of every other day. A man can dream can't he?

Say I want to play NSMBU on the gamepad, but not offscreen. Who shouldn't I be able to use the out of the box controller? And even if I have a classic controller (I do) what if I prefer the placement of the d-pad on the tablet? How about if I want to play with a friend using the standard controller while they rock the the classic controller (another option which Nintendo has mysteriously precluded)? And why would you force the screen to be on when it serves no additional function during gameplay, particularly on a controller that sucks the battery dry in a matter of hours?

Do I really need to explain all this? It seems abundantly obvious why a simple option would be practical on multiple levels.

I agree that you should be able to use the gamepad and shutoff screen concurrently to play only on TV.

However, there is a workaround... use the pro controller. (not wiimote or classic) AFAIK it has exact same button layout and 80hr rechargeable battery.

multivac

I just hope this September/October patch speeds up the interface, it's my biggest complaint about Wii U, and doesn't make much sense.

I agree that you should be able to use the gamepad and shutoff screen concurrently to play only on TV.

However, there is a workaround... use the pro controller. (not wiimote or classic) AFAIK it has exact same button layout and 80hr rechargeable battery.
I really like the classic controller, but sadly for me the d-pad placement is cramp inducing after a while. Once I started playing Super Metroid its limitations became abundantly clear. And I've been a personal proponent of that controller since I tried it out at one of those Wii U Experience events before the system released.

you can. you need to use the pro controller or wiimote:

You can't. Not with Netflix.

That is what i do. It is still draining battery and it is still on, that method isn't good enough.

He's talking about using the controller with the screen off.

Besides, if you're not using it, why not just put it on it's charging cradle?

You do have one, right? :)

I really like the classic controller, but sadly for me the d-pad placement is cramp inducing after a while. Once I started playing Super Metroid its limitations became abundantly clear. And I've been a personal proponent of that controller since I tried it out at one of those Wii U Experience events before the system released.

PRO Controller. You're going to confuse people if you keep making that mistake.

Why do you keep mentioning the "classic" controller? That is a wii controller.

I'm referring to the "Pro" Controller that is specifically for Wii U and has the same button layout as the Gamepad.

Or are you referring to same thing just calling it classic?

wiiupro530pxheaderimg513513.jpg

Synless

Again, you cannot shut of the display while actively using the controller. You can shut it of when you set the controller down, but as soon as you start playing it comes on again. And of course the battery will drain whenever the controller is on regardless, it'll just drain much faster with the screen lit, just like cranking the brightness, turning on wifi, or using 3D on the 3DS.

He's talking about using the controller with the screen off.

Besides, if you're not using it, why not just put it on it's charging cradle?

You do have one, right? :)

I know all of this and yes I have the cradle that came with my delux WiiU. It is an issue when my wife uses it. She couldn't care less about having to be bothered by putting it on the charging cradle or grabbing another controller. Neither her nor myself should have to do anything extra when we start a movie, I should just be able to shut it off and turn it on when I need it.

PRO Controller. You're going to confuse people if you keep making that mistake.
Classic, Pro, Deluxe, Basic, Arcade, Elite... this industry has pumped my fragile mind full of too many designations. Although, I do wish I could use my classic controller on Wii U. Kinda a bummer you cant considering you can use the wiimote and nunchuck.

Anyone else notice that launching/closing a game is faster after this update?

Ive only tested it with game and wario(disc version), but it loads almost instant after I click the icon to launch it.

Classic, Pro, Deluxe, Basic, Arcade, Elite... this industry has pumped my fragile mind full of too many designations. Although, I do wish I could use my classic controller on Wii U. Kinda a bummer you cant considering you can use the wiimote and nunchuck.

lol... all this controller talk.

You can use the Wii's classic controller in Wii mode and Wii U VC titles. However, pro-controller blows it all away to me. More comfortable, has rumble, built-in battery, very long life... etc.

Kucan

Maybe it was delayed to add new major features such as Unified Accounts and Region Unlocking?

/optimism

Mithos

Up in Europe also 3.1.0 E. Downloaded and installed.

I like this part.
The standby functions will now regularly connect to the Internet when the Wii U is powered down to check for available SpotPass data or software and system updates. Software updates will be installed while the Wii U is powered down, and system updates will be installed the next time the Wii U is powered on. For further detailed information, click here.

Bombadil

Banned
Damn it, Nintendo.

Why did they even release the console so early?

They could have released a stable console with a bunch of launch titles at the same time as the other two and would have done a better job.

My god, why?

Edit: It's so sad that the biggest thing I was looking forward to for my console this summer was the system update.

Damn it, Nintendo.

Why did they even release the console so early?

They could have released a stable console with a bunch of launch titles at the same time as the other two and would have done a better job.

My god, why?

Edit: It's so sad that the biggest thing I was looking forward to for my console this summer was the system update.
You're not stoked for Pikmin?

majik13

When I turn off the console using the Gamepad, is that standby mode?

I think as long as it is plugged in, with a red led power light, it is in standby. You might be able to turn it off though in settings. Doesnt matter if you turned it off on the console or gamepad. same ting.

You can't. Not with Netflix..

Wow... that's dumb.

I stream mp4s from my PC all the time with the Wii U browser and just turn off the gamepad screen with the pro controller.

An option to just turn off the gamepad display natively would be very useful for all and a no-brainer...

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Sep/Oct for the summer update?! They really can't release *anything* in a timely manner and as planned, can they?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Hooray, I was waiting for this update. No more waiting on the fuckin home screen like an idiot for the notification or miiverse icons to maybe pulse, grab dat data before I boot you goobs.

Finally the Wii U has achieved parity with the Wii. WiiConnect24 lives.

Top Bottom