• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minor Wii U system update now live.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Well, Emily Rogers mentioned it on Twitter earlier today and now it has come to pass.

It also looks like the big update is now scheduled for September / October.

Version 3.1.0 U available via wireless Internet connection includes the following improvements:

Improvements to Standby Functions:

The standby functions will now regularly connect to the Internet when the Wii U is powered down to check for available SpotPass data or software and system updates. Software updates will be installed while the Wii U is powered down, and system updates will be installed the next time the Wii U is powered on. For further detailed information, click here.

Improvements to system stability and usability:

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

*A system update providing further additions to system functionality is planned for release between the end of September and beginning of October.

https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/s...enu=general_info&submenu=wup-online-gi-update

Dang summer update got delayed I guess. Well, hopefully it leads to a smooth UI and console before the holiday season and the big games start arriving.

BY2K

Membero Americo
*A system update providing further additions to system functionality is planned for release between the end of September and beginning of October.

They delay patches, now?

serplux

Sounds like the summer update to me. Although is September really summer...?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If ever there was a device where you hope "improved system stability" really means something in a changelog, it is Wii U.

Sounds like the summer update to me. Although is September really summer...?

It's not the same month, it's not the same season.

ahm998

I hope they make cross chat & text in summer update , i can't belive nintendo until know in their system you can't chat until you close your game ;(

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Does it still freeze for people? I've only had 1~2 hangs upon exiting Hulu since the last big update.

Netflix still crashes on startup frequently. A few 3rd party games like some Ubisoft stuff still freezes.

They've "improved" the hardlocks evidently. Now you can hold down the power button to reset the system rather than having to pull the power cable out.

I thought this was already a thing, for the most part.

Will this make my Netflix stop fucking crashing!?

Netflix still crashes on startup frequently. A few 3rd party games like some Ubisoft stuff still freezes.

They've "improved" the hardlocks evidently. Now you can hold down the power button to reset the system rather than having to pull the power cable out.

My Netflix started crashing on every startup suddenly. It was apparently because I had a software update for a game downloaded but not yet installed. It went back to working flawlessly after that.

I just want to be able to turn the gamepad screen off when I'm in playing on my TV in a dark room.

Turn it off, and use a Pro Controller? ;)

I just want to be able to turn the gamepad screen off when I'm in playing on my TV in a dark room.

Well you can for games where you aren't using the gamepad as your primary control, like with a Wiimote or Pro controller (it's in controller settings on the home menu). That's a good enough option for me, the screen turns back on if you touch it or hit a button on the gamepad, but that's not too big of a deal imo because if you're using the gamepad/the game requires it, it wouldn't make sense to disable the screen anyways.

They delay patches, now?

HA_HA_HA%2C_OH_WOW.jpg

Turn it off, and use a Pro Controller? ;)
Not every game supports it, and even if they did the d-pad placement on the gamepad has better placement imo. As someone who plays a lot of sidescrollers that's relevant to me. Not sure why anyone would argue against the option. It's not a bizarre thing to ask of Nintendo, nor would it be terribly difficult to implement. Seems like a no-brainer.

Isn't that already an option?

Same here.

You can.

Use Pro controller, then in hit home on gamepad and go to controller settings and turn off gamepad display and set it down. So long as you don't press a button on the gamepad it will remain off.

I do this all the time when playing a game with pro controller.

You can.

Use Pro controller, then in hit home on gamepad and go to controller settings and turn off gamepad display and set it down. So long as you don't press a button on the gamepad it will remain off.

I do this all the time when playing a game with pro controller.
You can't turn the screen of while using the controller though. Makes sense for game where it's used as a perpetual interface (although the option for it to "sleep" until you touch it would be nice when you're only using the buttons). Not everyone has a classic controller, not is tyhe layout better suited for every type of game. If anyone can make a compelling argument why the ability to toggle it off at will is a bad idea, I would love to hear it.

edit: Never mind battery life, which is at a premium on the tablet.

How about allowing my controller to be shut off when I watch Netflix? How about that Nintendo?
Can you not shut it off manually from the sub menu? I haven't used Netflix on my Wii, but if the gamepad is always on by default that sucks.

qq more

What was exactly going to be in the Summer update? Is there a complete list of things we know about it yet?

All I could remember is the improved speed.

What was exactly going to be in the Summer update? Is there a complete list of things we know about it yet?

All I could remember is the improved speed.

That's pretty much all that's confirmed.

I'd (personally) like to see folders and a better activity log.

You can't turn the screen of while using the controller though. Makes sense for game where it's used as a perpetual interface (although the option for it to "sleep" until you touch it would be nice when you're only using the buttons). Not everyone has a classic controller, not is tyhe layout better suited for every type of game. If anyone can make a compelling argument why the ability to toggle it off at will is a bad idea, I would love to hear it.

edit: Never mind battery life, which is at a premium on the tablet.

Can you not shut it off manually from the sub menu? I haven't used Netflix on my Wii, but if the gamepad is always on by default that sucks.

Oh, well if you're actively using the gamepad then it makes no sense. Nearly every game now supports pro controller or wiimotes vs the gamepad.

As for netflix, I think I tried to shut it off while watching it on TV and it won't let you. Yes that needs to be an update to netflix or something. Makes no sense to force it on while watching on TV.

How about allowing my controller to be shut off when I watch Netflix? How about that Nintendo?

you can. you need to use the pro controller or wiimote:

press the home button on the gamepad or pro controller or wiimote

select the option on the left to adjust the display - "controller settings"

select the option to turn off the gamepad display. - "display off"

use the pro controller to close the prompt on the tv. it's actually the "B" button or "Back button" displayed on the TV

Not every game supports it, and even if they did the d-pad placement on the gamepad has better placement imo. As someone who plays a lot of sidescrollers that's relevant to me. Not sure why anyone would argue against the option. It's not a bizarre thing to ask of Nintendo, nor would it be terribly difficult to implement. Seems like a no-brainer.

Yes. It is a no brainer. The only thing stopping it right now is a prompt on the TV that blocks your view. And if you try to close it with the Gamepad, the display lights back up. They just need to have that auto-close.

Oh, well if you're actively using the gamepad then it makes no sense. Nearly every game now supports pro controller or wiimotes vs the gamepad.

As for netflix, I think I tried to shut it off while watching it on TV and it won't let you. Yes that needs to be an update to netflix or something. Makes no sense to force it on while watching on TV.
Say I want to play NSMBU on the gamepad, but not offscreen. Who shouldn't I be able to use the out of the box controller? And even if I have a classic controller (I do) what if I prefer the placement of the d-pad on the tablet? How about if I want to play with a friend using the standard controller while they rock the the classic controller (another option which Nintendo has mysteriously precluded)? And why would you force the screen to be on when it serves no additional function during gameplay, particularly on a controller that sucks the battery dry in a matter of hours?

Do I really need to explain all this? It seems abundantly obvious why a simple option would be practical on multiple levels.

Chopper

Yeah, they should just rush it out the door as soon as possible. Might brick a lot of systems, but at least they'll keep their word!
They announced it a long time ago. And they employ professional programmers to sort it out. It shouldn't be this difficult or time consuming. How complicated can it be for the company that literally created the OS in the first place?

qko

Did the constant disc spinning get fixed in a prior update or just now?

What the last update fixed was that it stopped spinning when you entered a game or app that wasn't whatever was in the disc tray. Yet if you were on the home menu it would still spin. I don't know if this update happened to fix that additional part of disc spin on the home menu.

Top Bottom