• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minor Wii U system update now live.

I seriously can't believe they delayed a System Update.

Please Understand.

For those making comments about how the Wii U is only marginally slower than the PS3: Is the PS3 a console less than a year old with 2GB of RAM?

Haines

Banned
how did they delay a system update? we just got one TODAY. just because another is planned you call i a delay. we just got one. today.

how did they delay a system update? we just got one TODAY. just because another is planned you call i a delay. we just got one. today.

Nintendo announced to "major" updates. One in the spring and one in the summer BEFORE Wii Fit U launched (after it was pushed back from launch window to summer... and then delayed AGAIN...).

So yes. It's delayed in my book.

Bullza2o

Just finished updating.

I wouldn't be surprised if they delayed the summer update to the end of summer/beginning of fall. In fact, I'm expecting that and the 3DS Miiverse update to come around the same time.

Bullza2o

Can my Wii U be told download and install this patch and then automatically turn itself off afterwards?

Nope. I left mine for 15 minutes, and I still had to do a reboot prompt. After rebooting, I had to press more prompts about what the update was all about.

guek

Banned
uh can't you set it to do that in the download center?

though apparently this patch will allow you to download patches while in standby

edit: oh, yeah you still have to tell it to install the patch after it downloads. I'm guessing that's purely for legal reasons but who knows...what they should do is have it install automatically and then approve the update the next time you turn it on.

those apparently this patch will allow you to download patches while in standby

Pretty sure my Wii U did that with the last minor update..when I turned it on, it just had to install it.

though apparently this patch will allow you to download patches while in standby

edit: oh, yeah you still have to tell it to install the patch after it downloads. I'm guessing that's purely for legal reasons but who knows...what they should do is have it install automatically and then approve the update the next time you turn it on.

Also, my Wii U still sometimes flags an error whenever I'm downloading a firmware update and I usually have to restart the download 1-3 times. Luckily, it starts where the last download failed, but it's still annoying.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Terrible. That is just so basic.

If you turn the system off while it's downloading something, it turns itself halfway back on right afterwards, yellow light, and downloads the rest of it. It doesn't install in that state because it's technically not "on," and could easily be unplugged or whatnot, and brick your wii mid-update. But once you turn it back on, it'll immediately install the updates it finished downloading.

Which part of this is terrible?

wsippel

Banned
Which means it's downloading something.
Not necessarily. The orange LED just means that the system does something, and tells you not to unplug the power cable. It almost always does this shortly after turning the system off even if there's nothing to download/ update. Just doing some housekeeping I guess.

ikioi

Banned
Another cockup by Nintendo.

Shows how disorganised and unprepared they are. Can't even get the promised major system update out.

Pathetic, absolutely pathetic.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Shows how disorganised and unprepared they are. Can't even get the promised major system update out.

How do you make it day to day with this kind of attitude about the most unimportant of things?

wsippel

Banned

Maybe they decided to change more, reducing the OS memory footprint or something. Bigger changes take longer. I sure hope that's the case, at least.

Not necessarily. The orange LED just means that the system does something, and tells you not to unplug the power cable. It almost always does this shortly after turning the system off even if there's nothing to download/ update. Just doing some housekeeping I guess.

Weird. Only ever does it when downloading with mine. I can tell because the HDD light flashes rapidly at the same time.

Maybe they decided to change more, reducing the OS memory footprint or something. Bigger changes take longer. I sure hope that's the case, at least.

Yep, remember we got a bunch of other stuff we didn't know was coming with the last major update.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
*A system update providing further additions to system functionality is planned for release between the end of September and beginning of October.

While this proposed span of time literally.. does not exist, it's worth noting that it's still summer until September 22. If the update is late, it'll only technically be by a week or two.

And we have absolutely no idea what's even in it. Such distress over the lack of an update that "might do something."

I'm referring to the "Pro" Controller that is specifically for Wii U and has the same button layout as the Gamepad.

wiiupro530pxheaderimg513513.jpg

Off topic, but the Pro Controller is not just a GamePad without the screen. The button layout is more compact, the triggers are considerably different, and it feels quite dissimilar to hold. And the plus/minus buttons are in a completely different place, not that those mean much.

I can easily see why someone would prefer the GamePad. I do.

Deku Tree

If you turn the system off while it's downloading something, it turns itself halfway back on right afterwards, yellow light, and downloads the rest of it. It doesn't install in that state because it's technically not "on," and could easily be unplugged or whatnot, and brick your wii mid-update. But once you turn it back on, it'll immediately install the updates it finished downloading.

Which part of this is terrible?

Well I can tell my PS3 to download and install updates and then turn itself off all with one button press. Been doing that for a long time now.

It is terrible that Nintendo is behind on this issue. The new update says that it allows downloading and updating while the system is off so lets hope the problem is fixed.

I know all of this and yes I have the cradle that came with my delux WiiU. It is an issue when my wife uses it. She couldn't care less about having to be bothered by putting it on the charging cradle or grabbing another controller. Neither her nor myself should have to do anything extra when we start a movie, I should just be able to shut it off and turn it on when I need it.

It is a valid inconvenience, I have wondered this myself, but it can also be viewed as nitpicking.

Nintendo should open up a Miiverse community for the Wii U experience itself so that we can share all improvements, everyone is a winner in the end.

wsippel

Banned
Weird. Only ever does it when downloading with mine. I can tell because the HDD light flashes rapidly at the same time.
That doesn't necessarily mean it's downloading anything. I guess it might do some file verifications or something, to make sure nothing is corrupted, then potentially start a download if it notices some stuff is broken or out of date.

For those making comments about how the Wii U is only marginally slower than the PS3: Is the PS3 a console less than a year old with 2GB of RAM?

Exactly. What the hell is going on in that 1GB reserved for the OS, anyway? How can the Wii U take longer to load an NES game than their last two systems, much less the NES itself? Oh, I know it's an emulator, and has more features than their earlier ones, but come on:

NES: <1 second
Gamecube: 2 seconds (Zelda collector's edition, or Animal Crossing bonus NES games)
Wii: 6 seconds from system memory, 10 seconds from SD card
Wii U: 17 - 26 seconds

It's absurd. I almost feel trolled. Sure, these are "first world problems", but it's not unfair to point out how incompetent they are at their chosen business these days.

Well I can tell my PS3 to download and install updates and then turn itself off all with one button press. Been doing that for a long time now.

It is terrible that Nintendo is behind on this issue. The new update says that it allows downloading and updating while the system is off so lets hope the problem is fixed.

You can start a download, turn the system 'off' and it will finish downloading it.

I guess this update will initiate a download for a game update automatically while 'off'.

'Off' refers to standby, but with an orange light as opposed to the usual red. When the download is finished, it goes to red. Isn't that the same as the PS3? (and don't you have to be a Plus subscriber to use that feature?) I've never used the feature on a PS3 so I don't know.

tkscz

Exactly. What the hell is going on in that 1GB reserved for the OS, anyway? How can the Wii U take longer to load an NES game than their last two systems, much less the NES itself? Oh, I know it's an emulator, and has more features than their earlier ones, but come on:

NES: <1 second
Gamecube: 2 seconds (Zelda collector's edition, or Animal Crossing bonus NES games)
Wii: 6 seconds from system memory, 10 seconds from SD card
Wii U: 17 - 26 seconds

It's absurd. I almost feel trolled. Sure, these are "first world problems", but it's not unfair to point out how incompetent they are at their chosen business these days.

If it's still 17 - 26 seconds for you, I don't think you've ever updated.

If it's still 17 - 26 seconds for you, I don't think you've ever updated.

I have updated, every time. Doing this one now. I just timed those. I have 8 NES games, and not one of them loads any faster than that.

Edit: how many items are on your menu? My friend and I have a working theory, which is this: the more stuff you have, the slower it gets. His is consistently slower than mine, and both of them are getting slower over time. I have 41 things on the menu, including the disc icon and the built-in stuff (not including the smaller icons on the bottom, the MiiVerse, E-shop, etc)

tkscz

I have updated, every time. Doing this one now. I just timed those. I have 8 NES games, and not one of them loads any faster than that.

But why would you question that time? You should know as well as the rest of us, that useless splash screen doubles all the load times.

Because my games, which all but one are digital (but doesn't exclude it), take about 5 - 8 seconds to start. It hasn't done the 17 - 24 seconds load since the last huge update.

Deku Tree

You can start a download, turn the system 'off' and it will finish downloading it.

I guess this update will initiate a download for a game update automatically while 'off'.

'Off' refers to standby, but with an orange light as opposed to the usual red. When the download is finished, it goes to red. Isn't that the same as the PS3? (and don't you have to be a Plus subscriber to use that feature?) I've never used the feature on a PS3 so I don't know.

No you don't have to be a PS+ subscriber. The PS3 will both download and install the update before it shuts off. Next time you play your PS3 is ready to go.

No you don't have to be a PS+ subscriber. The PS3 will both download and install the update before it shuts off. Next time you play your PS3 is ready to go.

So now I'm confused.

It's downloading and installing while on and shutting off automatically? If so, I believe the Wii U can do that too.

Or are we talking about downloading/installing while on standby?

guek

Banned
Edit: how many items are on your menu? My friend and I have a working theory, which is this: the more stuff you have, the slower it gets. His is consistently slower than mine, and both of them are getting slower over time. I have 41 things on the menu, including the disc icon and the built-in stuff (not including the smaller icons on the bottom, the MiiVerse, E-shop, etc)

This may be the issue. I haven't updated yet so I don't know if they've fixed it but previously I saw a marked difference if I let the main menu load for about 20 seconds or so. If I would turn my system on and leave it to grab a drink or something, by the time I got back, whatever I selected would load almost immediately. However, if I clicked on something the second the icon popped up after turning on the system, it'd "stall" or something while the rest of the OS loaded until finally it got to the game and moved forward. It sounds a lot like what's happening with you too. Test it out, try letting the OS load for about 30 seconds and then load a game.

I really hope they fix that soon because it is indeed incredibly annoying. I've gone almost purely digital so I have a ton of stuff on my dashboard as well.

How? That was my original question above. This is the answer I got:

OK, I see.

For system updates like this one, no it doesn't seem so.

For game updates/patches/DLC, I want to say yes.

I know there is an Auto-shutdown feature (used to be in Download Management, but I believe it's now in System Settings), and it was for shutting down the system following a download. This was before games/patches would automatically install themselves after downloading.

Now that installs immediately follow downloads, I'm not sure when exactly the auto-shutdown kicks in (after the download, or after the install).

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
How? That was my original question above. This is the answer I got:

The answer given was from someone who did not try to turn their system off. You can turn the Wii U off during ANY download, and the download will continue while the system is "off." If the download is from the eshop, like a new game, or an update/patch to an existing game, it will be installed immediately after being downloaded, and then the system will proceed to "actually off." If what it was downloading was a system update, installation is deferred until the next time the system is booted. This is because the Wii U gives the impression of being "off" during this interim stage, outputting no video or sound, despite silently downloading data. They are trying to minimize any danger of people unplugging during a system update (which is a brickable scenario) by not installing data while in this state.

With today's update, you will not actually have to ever turn the system on in order to receive patches or system updates, they will all download (and in the case of non-system patches, install) automatically.

For the official word, see: https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/s...to_power_down&submenu=wup-standby-gi-overview

So yes, you can't do the exact same thing as the PS3, but it's not really due to being "behind the times" or any of the nonsense being ascribed to them here. Much of this is extremely progressive. They are just playing it safe by requiring user attention during potentially-brickable updates.

AzaK

They can't even get OS updates out in a timely manner, leaving it to the last possible moment. Nintendo are truly acting like newcomers to the software industry.

They have become a well deserved joke. I wish all manner of failure for them this gen because it's possibly the only thing that would get them to sort themselves out.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
They can't even get OS updates out in a timely manner, leaving it to the last possible moment. Nintendo are truly acting like newcomers to the software industry.

They have become a well deserved joke. I wish all manner of failure for them this gen because it's possibly the only thing that would get them to sort themselves out.

Thank you for your contribution. Please contribute again in the future.

Top Bottom