• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge 2 is open world, [Update: More game info, won't be a shooter]

Excellent. Perfect.
Terrible news, you can't possibly craft any significantly open world with the care needed for the time trails to be up to the original.

I don't care what they do with the campaign, but don't let us down with those time trails, it's unforgivable.
Eh, Burnout Paradise says otherwise.

RobbieH

1358644884917.jpg

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If they give me a sandbox world where I can run and jump and climb to my heart's content, then this may be even better than the first one.

Please don't screw this up, EA.

Don't know how I feel about this. It could potentially be absolutely amazing, that's for sure, looking forward to it. I hope the fighting elements are not overdone.

Is it coming out on pc as well?

ShaneB

I'm sorry for the people who loved to speed run through Mirror's Edge's levels, but the thought of parcouring the rooftops of an open city makes me feel excited.

I expect time trail type levels will be a mode, for a campaign, having ME2 be open world is absolutely what I wanted from ME1. Great to hear this.

Kinyou

Imagine being able to specify two points on the world map, place obstacles with a basic map editor, set a time limit, and ultimately create your own time trials.
I would also expect that they'll put some parkour "paths" into the game world, kinda like Assassin's creed

Terrible news, you can't possibly craft any significantly open world with the care needed for the time trails to be up to the original.

I don't care what they do with the campaign, but don't let us down with those time trails, it's unforgivable.

I'm not as strongly negative on this as you, but yeah, I always felt ME captured the energy of a fast-moving platformer in a FPS-type world, so linearity wasn't actually a drawback. We'll see, I'm still optimistic.

Sojgat

Couldn't be more perfect. If there is any game that could benefit from being open world, it's Mirror's Edge.

Day 1 with bells on.

Khronico

Not too sure about this. It could lead to some awesome, nonscripted gameplay though. I really enjoyed the level design of ME1, hopefully it's just as good.

I... couldn't be more OK with this.

Now add player-generated challenge routes and all kinds of wonderful things to go with the MASSIVE PARKOUR PARADISE they're no doubt working on. Hopefully.

offshore

Sweet. I took ages to play through the levels because I spent most of it exploring what surroundings there were, so more exploration is amazing news.

I don't like it. "Linear" is not a bad thing. There was a beautiful, focused simplicity to the original that I'm afraid will be gone in another big bloated open world.

Glass Rebel

Worrying. Open world usually means that tight level-design flies out of the window. It'll be interesting to see how DICE handles this.

DR2K

Banned
Sounds great, open world with those visuals... yum. Hopefully time trials are closed off like in ME.

Nabs

This is really disappointing. My hype just dropped like crazy. I was hoping for another game with smart level design that felt like I was cracking a puzzle.

That's awesome news.

I'm usually not really big on open-world games but it could fit so well for ME. There's so much potential there. Aaaah, this wait will be excruciating.

theDeeDubs

This would for sure be one open world I would not even be tempted to touch a fast travel option in then. Sounds awesome.

Famassu

I'm not sure how to feel about this. The level design in Mirror's Edge was often borderline perfection (with a few levels having a couple of bad segments). If being open-world takes away from that... :( Hopefully the time trials are there too, the best part of the first game and the sequel will be nothing without them.

border

I liked that the original actually had challenging platforming.

You can't really have challenging platforming if you're making the player traverse miles and miles of an open city. It's no fun to get halfway to your objective and fall to your death.

I'm worried that it will be like Assassin's Creed with less combat -- where traversal is mostly easy or otherwise automated.

People worrying about level design, all they have to do is make sure the missions or whatever they go for aside from the open world elements have tight level design.

Being able to just go around and just run through the city's rooftops is an incredible idea.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm okay with this. I bet they'll please the time trail fanatics by just integrating tracks in the world.

Top Bottom