• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge 2 is open world, [Update: More game info, won't be a shooter]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
CVG said:
The recently announced Mirror's Edge reboot has been referred to as an "open-world action adventure game" by EA Labels president Frank Gibeau.

The executive was speaking at the publisher's E3 2013 analyst call, during which he discussed EA's product portfolio for the year ahead.
Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/413684/mirrors-edge-2-is-open-world-says-ea-exec/

I will listen to the call later and see if there are any additional details.

Update:

Eurogamer said:
"I can tell you one thing," he said. "It's a very different Mirror's Edge experience than the first game.

"Obviously as you saw in the trailer there are some things that will clearly remain the same. We're not going to break what the game was good at. But in general, though, there are some changes, which are for the better I think."

"The first game was a lot about running away from things," he said. "And, even though you want to have sections with that, you also want Faith... she's a powerful character and you want her to take control. You'll see a little bit more of that in this game.

"Again, we're not going to turn this into a shooter. On the contrary, in fact. But we are going to evolve Faith and the story. Once we show more of this people will be genuinely excited. I am personally extremely excited about it."

"Mirror's Edge is a game that's been very close to my heart and to DICE's heart for a long time," he said. "It was a new IP we made in 2008. It's a game that was loved by many. It's a game that frustrated some, to be fair.

"We knew we were going to come back to it one day, and we've had a small team on it on and off in conceptual mode. Not until Sarah approached me and [General Manager] Karl-Magnus Troedsson and said, 'I have something I want to pitch to you guys,' - we got that pitch and I was amazed by what she showed us. I said, 'yes, this is it. We're now going to do it.'

"We were waiting for the right idea. I'm so excited that the idea itself is so different and spectacular that it can only work on future machines, like the Xbox One and PS4 and PC. That's when I knew we had the right idea."
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ry-different-compared-to-the-original-ea-says

tci

Just as I suspected. From the short trailer you can already see some hints about it. More open space and no clear paths.

Hopefully also street levels!

StuBurns

Banned
Terrible news, you can't possibly craft any significantly open world with the care needed for the time trails to be up to the original.

I don't care what they do with the campaign, but don't let us down with those time trails, it's unforgivable.

DJ_Lae

Damn, I'm at work and only have one pair of pants.

Guess I'll sit quietly at my desk until everyone else leaves.

(this is fantastic news)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Terrible news, you can't possibly craft any significantly open world with the care needed for the time trails to be up to the original.

I don't care what they do with the campaign, but don't let us down with those time trails, it's unforgivable.
Well, you don't have to make a time trial in an open world if they have that as an extra feature.

Loomer

That's all I wanted to hear. Mirror's Edge was definitely one of those games where an open-world would've been fantastic.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I'm OK with this if there's instantly accessible, highly replayable bite-sized time trials on the side. I'd be down with exploring the world of Mirror's Edge but the game should first and foremost be a platformer, and tight level design is needed to make that work.

Magnus

ME2's teaser look so fucking good. So up my alley. Blows my mind that I never played the first.

Has it ever been on PS Plus? If not, I'll just nab it cheap in store. Seen it for like $5 used before.

Nemesis_

I mentioned how much I would love this idea in another thread, glad it came true.

I agree with StuBurns though, they need to still have a significant (and good) Time Trial component.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Imagine being able to specify two points on the world map, place obstacles with a basic map editor, set a time limit, and ultimately create your own time trials.

Formless

Open world with specific more dense segments where events happen I guess.

In other news though Mirror's Edge is different, there's an awful lot of parkour-open-world type games nowadays..

Bricky

Awesome news. We don't see too many first person open world games not called Skyrim (and even that is third person in a sense) either, that makes this news even better.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Just what I wished for with the first one (not that its absence was a huge problem or anything, but still).

Still very optimistic at this point!

wrowa

I'm sorry for the people who loved to speed run through Mirror's Edge's levels, but the thought of parcouring the rooftops of an open city makes me feel excited.

Mirror's Edge 2 is open-world, says EA exec

DICE project built for PC and next-gen consoles

The recently announced Mirror's Edge reboot has been referred to as an "open-world action adventure game" by EA Labels president Frank Gibeau.

The executive was speaking at the publisher's E3 2013 analyst call, during which he discussed EA's product portfolio for the year ahead.
EA has focused on a "fewer, bigger, better" software release strategy over the past few years, and it currently expects to release 11 HD and 14 mobile games in fiscal 2014, representing a further decline in output.

But Gibeau said EA's release rate will "will increase going forward as gen 4 continues to expand and grow".

"There are probably about five or six new IPs that are fully owned and we haven't announced yet," he added, noting that the publisher may nurture these depending on how the market grows.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/413684/mirrors-edge-2-is-open-world-says-ea-exec/

Top Bottom