• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge 2 is open world, [Update: More game info, won't be a shooter]

I don't even know what that could possibly mean. The movement set of Mirror's Edge is nothing like driving.

Sure, but with regard to making actual functioning race courses work in an open world, I think it's an excellent example of how good level design can overcome the inherent complexities of the problem.

Salsa

Terrible news, you can't possibly craft any significantly open world with the care needed for the time trails to be up to the original.

I don't care what they do with the campaign, but don't let us down with those time trails, it's unforgivable.

yeah, worries me a bit

wont judge till I see it tho

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wouldn't this kind of fuck up the pacing? I liked Mirror's Edge because it was just about going from point A to point B.

leadbelly

Banned
That's all I wanted to hear. Mirror's Edge was definitely one of those games where an open-world would've been fantastic.

I'm not sure...

Every room you traverse in Mirror's Edge is like a puzzle. That aspect of the game really doesn't gain anything from being open-world. I just worry that by making it open-world, the 'puzzle chamber' type gameplay will become much less of a focus.

jett

D-Member
I don't know about this. The game is so early it doesn't matter to be honest, let's wait until we see an actual game.

Ferrio

Banned
I'll be really surprised if this game comes out and it's not total shit compared to the original. The original had it's problems, but I'm almost certain they'll "fix" the wrong things.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Multiplayer parkour rooftop messenger bag races, please!

4274.mirrortop.jpg

OH GOD i am gonna jump off so many buildings.

tci

I'm not sure...

Every room you traverse in Mirror's Edge is like a puzzle. That aspect of the game really doesn't gain anything from being open-world. I just worry that by making it open-world, the 'puzzle chamber' type gameplay will become much less of a focus.
There are many ways of "fixing" this.

Since it's open world, they can add sections for puzzle solving, special designed buildings with "puzzle design", sections with more linear paths.

I'm just not sure that open-world's suit platform games. They basically live and die on their level designs, and once you open that up you run the risk of having too many dead spots, which is something that you never had in the original game.

Kinyou

There are many ways of "fixing" this.

Since it's open world, they can add sections for puzzle solving, special designed buildings with "puzzle design", sections with more linear paths.
It could also be like the Arkham games in which the open world is basically just a hub area

As some others already posted, an open world and tight level design are not mutually exclusive. I'd imagine most of the story missions taking place in scripted areas much like the first game. The open city is perfect as a hub/playground, provided they don't litter the place with cops and other annoyances. (As an aside, I've never understood why cops in racing games are a good thing... they're only there to prevent me from driving fast)

...not sure if want.

Mirror's Edge worked because you always knew where you were meant to be going. The levels were more like racecourses, and it could funnel you into certain routes and positions which made the chases more tense.

I guess they could pull it off again in an open-world setting, but I'm not sure. Will deserve judgment, of course.

george_us

I'm not sure...

Those slow ass puzzle rooms were the worst part about Mirror's Edge. The game was awesome when you were on the run and had to make split second decisions. This being open world could encourage more of that since Cops could be everywhere. Can't wait to hear more about this game.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I think this could be great for the campaign... I get why people are worried that open world means the level design might suffer, but I'll wait till more info is released to get worked up (please release a demo again, DICE!).

I don't see how this will affect time trials at all, since they can just pull out a section of the world and set linear paths with checkpoints.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Not what I wanted to hear. Ah well, if it sucks at least there's always the first game.

I liked that the original actually had challenging platforming.

You can't really have challenging platforming if you're making the player traverse miles and miles of an open city. It's no fun to get halfway to your objective and fall to your death.

I'm worried that it will be like Assassin's Creed with less combat -- where traversal is mostly easy or otherwise automated.

Assassin's Creed has multiple "levels" where free-roam stops and you're trying to navigate as fast as possible.

stktt

Banned
So long as it doesn't compromise level design or areas specifically designed for time trials are offered, I'm okay with this.

Grisby

Eh, could be awesome I guess. But it also has a huge chance to f up the level design. The game is all about trying to navigate and achieve the shortest time possible.

ad_idem

As long as they have the function of traversal as an engaging, deliberate, skill based experience that rewards the player with the sense of accomplishment when moving fluidly; I don't think it matters if it's a linear or open-world design.

And traversal is really the focal point of this franchise's gameplay. So I wouldn't see the need for concern of automatized traversal of games like Assassin's Creed being present here. Lest they wish to risk trivializing the entire point of this game. And with how passionate and vocal the fan base are, I think the developer would probably tread more carefully than that.

Edit: correcting mobile autocorrects

Riposte

Hmmm, could go either way.

My concern is that both mechanically and aesthetically Mirror's Edge greatly benefited from its overall linearity. They put a lot of care into the level design and it is easier to do that when you have less ground to focus on. It felt like that one ledge or pole was neither too close or too far nor were there too many alternatives. Seems like that would require an extraordinary amount of effort to recapture that in a truly open world, especially if they don't tightly limit which buildings you can enter. Until recently we didn't even think they could afford to make a new Mirror's Edge and now they are going to be very ambitious with it. Well, maybe it will just take time and that's why they gave us the "when it is ready" line.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm just not sure that open-world's suit platform games. They basically live and die on their level designs, and once you open that up you run the risk of having too many dead spots, which is something that you never had in the original game.

I would be rather shocked if this was just a platforming game.

They're specifically calling it an action adventure title.

leadbelly

Banned
Those slow ass puzzle rooms were the worst part about Mirror's Edge. The game was awesome when you were on the run and had to make split second decisions. This being open world could encourage more of that since Cops could be everywhere. Can't wait to hear more about this game.

It was actually what I enjoyed the most.

RedSwirl

I thought this was a possibility ever since ME1 came out, and I think it's an interesting evolution that makes sense for ME depending on how they handle it.

In that universe, part of being a runner is knowing the city and its routes. If they're not lazy in how they design this they could really nail that feel of mastering your environment, finding the best routes, etc.

Wonko_C

So there goes any semblance of tightly focused, handcrafted level design out of the window.

Still day one, please don't fuck it up.

Fox Mulder

I loved the first game and I'm skeptical of what the modern EA would do to Mirrors Edge, but an open world could be neat if done right. The whole point of the original was challenging platforming seamlessly in a beautiful world. If they can keep the same level design across a whole city, then great. It could be amazing getting the freedom to run all over the city like the characters would.

I'm totally expecting it to have more iron sights shoot bangs and killing though.

I could go either way on this (don't mess with a good thing and whatnot), but this could also turn out really well for the game.

I would be rather shocked if this was just a platforming game.

They're specifically calling it an action adventure title.

If that's the case, then my interest would drop significantly. I view the original game as one of the greatest platformers ever made, and it'd be a shame if it were transformed into something else for the sequel.

Terrible news, you can't possibly craft any significantly open world with the care needed for the time trails to be up to the original.

I don't care what they do with the campaign, but don't let us down with those time trails, it's unforgivable.

Well, Crackdown had a pretty well designed locomotion system and platforming element for an open world game. It was no Mirrors Edge but that is because it wasn't the core of the game but they also had to do a lot of work with AI, driving, shooting, melee, etc which was more the focus. Here they know what their focus is an then can easily adapt it to the open world setting. I can't see a negative. It is also really easy to build in Time Trial routes. Even Crackdown had that.

dralla

Not sure I like the sound of that. Level design is so important for platform games, I'm not sure an open world can deliver that kind of design, hmmm

Top Bottom