• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst Closed Beta Thread | Didn't Get An Email? Keep Faith

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Played the beta, it was one of the highlights of 2016... For being so terrible.

ee73999092064777fcb3ac2379c36beb1f99e97f

Rembrandt

Banned
I was pretty hyped, but when those beta previews came i was scared.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst (beta, but some of this stuff should be in the final game too) is generic, lifeless, ugly as hell (os PS4) and absolutely shameful.

It's an AMAZING concept with a great first game (mostly mechanics), but EA made a mess trying to "modernize it" to and "open world rpg-ish style".

I'm really, really disappointed.

What's generic about it? And the original wasn't full of life, imo.

E-flux

Obviously, I hate the XP, I've said that several times. But the open world works really well here because of how much fun movement is. The original ME was a game about moving from point A to point B across a series of strewn-together rooftops. Put that into an open world, and you've taken the main complaint about open world games—that it's just a bunch of walking between locations—and turned it into a main gameplay asset.

The other changes I'm pretty sure were done in the name of accessibility, and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I know a lot of people who simply couldn't get into Mirror's Edge 2008. Hopefully they'll be able to play this time.

And despite these changes, I just don't think the controls are that different. On Saturday evening, after playing the Beta for about two hours, I decided to load up the original game and run through some chapters. What struck me wasn't how different the old game was, but how similar it felt. They've tweaked minor things, but nothing more.

I don't understand this at all. Do you remember the freaking ship level in Mirror's Edge 2008? There were guys with guns everywhere. Yeah, I suppose they technically had less health in that they could be brought down with one hit, but timing that hit properly could take a lot of tries, and if you didn't have any Focus saved up, or you mistimed its deployment, you were essentially screwed. Yes, I know it was possible to avoid all combat in that game, but doing so was really, really difficult.

In comparison, combat in this game is both infrequent and over quickly. And with obvious exceptions, it can be avoided fairly easily.
Yes, I remember the ship level, easily worst level in the game I'm also well aware that playing the game for the first time it was nearly impossible to complete the game without beating people up. I also installed ME1 just to be sure what I was talking about wasn't complete bs. I played the beta for 4-5 hours trying find stuff to like to no avail. I could go into it more but I don't think that anybody here wants to read me bitch and moan about little details.

I was pretty hyped, but when those beta previews came i was scared.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst (beta, but some of this stuff should be in the final game too) is generic, lifeless, ugly as hell (os PS4) and absolutely shameful.

It's an AMAZING concept with a great first game (mostly mechanics), but EA made a mess trying to "modernize it" to and "open world rpg-ish style".

I'm really, really disappointed.
You say the first game was great mostly for the mechanics. What's the difference?

Also apparently the beta has lower textures and things going on then what's going to be in the full game to save space. Not to mention it's a beta and is unfinished. I agree that the addition of an open world, xp and upgrades is pointless but I feel the game wouldn't be approved by EA without them.

Rembrandt

Banned
You say the first game was great mostly for the mechanics. What's the difference?

Also apparently the beta has lower textures and things going on then what's going to be in the full game to save space. Not to mention it's a beta and is unfinished. I agree that the addition of an open world, xp and upgrades is pointless but I feel the game wouldn't be approved by EA without them.

I don't like the upgrades either but if you can unlock the stuff you did in the beta as fast in the real game then it's not a big deal to me. you get enough xp to unlock basically all of the essentials pretty early on.

Mush

I don't like the upgrades either but if you can unlock the stuff you did in the beta as fast in the real game then it's not a big deal to me. you get enough xp to unlock basically all of the essentials pretty early on.
They're basic mechanics that were available from the start in the first game, I don't see why they should be behind some experience barrier.

This game's hand-to-hand combat feels like something from a pre-alpha Early Access title on Steam. It really is that bad.

Maybe it gets way, way better when you unlock a bunch of the upgrades, but to me a combat system should be solid from the get-go. You certainly didn't have to grind in any the Arkham games before their combat felt good.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
My thoughts from Xbone:

-Seems more playful than the original, which is nice.
-Overall visual design isn't as good as the original.
-Hiding basic running moves behind experience is D-U-M-B. Leave that to the combat stuff if you must have some stupid progression system.
-Framerate was horribly inconsistent and it's running 720p so no excuses. I never had problems in Battlefront, a gorgeous game with loads of crazy shit happening everywhere. I know this is a beta, but they had better clean up that framerate.
-Combat is fine. The point isn't to fight it's to GTFO and it does that well.

I'd be interested if I am assured rock solid 60fps.

Metal-Geo

Not a big fan of the new art style. Everything is so bright and... flat looking. It's hard to pinpoint what's exactly wrong - but the original had a more pleasing aesthetic.

Traversing feels incredibly good though. Huge fan of that.

Edit: Played on PC.

I can't put my finger on it, but the game is missing something to make it compelling. Instead it's repetitive in an almost mind-numbing and very relaxing way. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the open world structure.

nynt9

My experience with the beta:

- Combat was terrible. No feedback, unresponsive and generally poorly done.
- Art style feels like a step down from the original even though the renderer is better. Seems like the clinical look of UE3 fit this world better than the smooth look of FB3
- Skill tree was lame, but mildly unintrusive. If leveling up is easy in the final game it could be a tolerable issue.
- Open world was unnecessary. It's not that interesting to traverse it, especially after you've gone through the same areas a billion times. I can see it getting old fast.
- You can turn off runner vision, but since the game is designed around being open world doing so makes the game a bit worse. In the first one, since it was linear, you knew that every path was a valid path as long as you could execute the moves. Here, sometimes if you try to take a shortcut it ends up being a dead end, making it trial and error, which makes runner vision more necessary. This is typical "we catered to the hardcore returning players" like DXHR, Thi4f and Bioshock infinite did where they gave the option to remove systems to make the game similar to the older version but designed the game around their existence so removing them leads to objectively bad game design.
- The load times are really long but I'll assume they'll fix that.
- The missions themselves do feel like ME1 from time to time, which is good. Except for combat sections.

Overall pretty much what I expected. By trying to cater to a larger base they've invalidated the tightly designed aspects of the first that made it so great. I'll still play the full game, but I'm expecting a schlocky open world game and not a follow-up to one of my favorite games of all time.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
My experience with the beta:

- You can turn off runner vision, but since the game is designed around being open world doing so makes the game a bit worse. In the first one, since it was linear, you knew that every path was a valid path as long as you could execute the moves. Here, sometimes if you try to take a shortcut it ends up being a dead end, making it trial and error, which makes runner vision more necessary. This is typical "we catered to the hardcore returning players" like DXHR, Thi4f and Bioshock infinite did where they gave the option to remove systems to make the game similar to the older version but designed the game around their existence so removing them leads to objectively bad game design.
This is something I noticed too. I turned off Runner Vision as soon as the tutorial was done, and sometimes it was hard to know where to go, especially during delivery missions. I still plan on playing the full game that way, but it forces the player to memorize the city layout, which as you say may require multiple attempts to achieve.

Has EA said whether this will have time trials for the missions, with the ability to download and race against ghosts to see how they got their insanely fast times?

Had a lot of fun with that in the first game.

Has EA said whether this will have time trials for the missions, with the ability to download and race against ghosts to see how they got their insanely fast times?

Seems like they've integrated time trials into the open world aspect with "dashes" (and user created time-trials). It's not the same to me, and I agree, I'd rather have a little "run" like the original game gave you.

That said, I'm finding myself much more interested than I thought I'd be in the game as a whole - so thank the digital gods that they didn't eff it up as bad as I thought they did.

sonicmj1

Hard to tell, but the menus suggest that the game at least tracks mission completion times, and will have a mission replay feature in the final build.

jett

D-Member
The combat takes all of 30 seconds, being generous. Whether or not you want to play is obviously your prerogative, but giving up for this reason is silly.

Not saying this necessarily applies to you, but I feel like a lot of people in this thread are being negative because it's fun to hate EA. Not necessarily consciously.

I don't think this game is perfect (*cough*XP-Unlocks*cough*), but I do think that DICE has created something really special. It's certainly a heck of a lot more risky/innovative than 90% of the AAA space.

The combat is objectively awful, I don't really care how long it might take, fact is I couldn't advance until I killed? them all. I had a decently sized message on the screen telling me so.

I don't think DICE has created anything special here. I'm a huge fan of the original, I've gone through it dozens of times. DICE has abandoned a lot of what I enjoyed in the original. That's not special to me. That's pretty much the opposite. Somebody that owns ME1 on Steam and on Origin just so that that person could buy the DLC is not somebody that randomly goes around hating on EA, by the way.

You sure do like to complain a lot :/ most of your posts in the SFV OT were complaining too.

Like there are a significant number of issues with that game and some with this as well but I don't think forced combat is one of them, as another poster mentioned it really doesn't take very much time and you'll be back to running in no time. I don't know why you'd give up on a game completely just because of one small bit.

Well, in the case of SFV, since you brought it up, I usually complain about something I paid money for and it doesn't fucking work, and online matchmaking didn't work for me for over two weeks. At all.

Anyway, the latest forced combat situation is simply the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't like the repetitive nature of going open world, I don't like the skilltree, I don't like the focus on a story that is clearly going to end up being completely mediocre at best, I miss the tight level design of the game, I don't like the aimless feel of this game's open world, and I indeed don't like the combat. I don't see any real improvements to the first game. Catalyst is a sidestep at best.

Oh I also don't like that it runs completely awful on my PC, but beta and all that.

It's the Combat Tutorial LOL

It was the actually the tutorial for the Ubisoftian Towers that this game has.

ktroopa

Can this beta still launch on PS4 once it has ended, by that i mean can i still play it and do missions or does it kick you out?

Ivan 3414

People are absolutely tearing this game to shreds on the official Mirror's Edge beta forums. Seriously, just pages upon pages of bitching, whining, and nitpicking -- everyone is telling Dice to delay the game to do this, do that.

It's crazy man.

That's gamers for you. Minor shit becomes a major flaw.

My thoughts from Xbone:

-Seems more playful than the original, which is nice.
-Overall visual design isn't as good as the original.
-Hiding basic running moves behind experience is D-U-M-B. Leave that to the combat stuff if you must have some stupid progression system.
-Framerate was horribly inconsistent and it's running 720p so no excuses. I never had problems in Battlefront, a gorgeous game with loads of crazy shit happening everywhere. I know this is a beta, but they had better clean up that framerate.
-Combat is fine. The point isn't to fight it's to GTFO and it does that well.

I'd be interested if I am assured rock solid 60fps.

looks like you didn't complete the beta...........there are forced encounters........

I thought the beta was fun, but it took some time to realize that I couldn't do everything that I wanted to do until I leveled up and upgraded. I knew I wanted to get places, but I couldn't until I had the quick turn.

I'll definitely be buying the game, though. It looked great on PS4.

jem0208

Sad the beta has ended, I really enjoyed it.

Also I thought the combat was really quite well done. It's smooth and fast and really encourages using the environment to your advantage. An absolutely massive step up from the first game and a very positive surprise.

The combat is objectively awful, I don't really care how long it might take, fact is I couldn't advance until I killed? them all. I had a decently sized message on the screen telling me so.

Oh come on, get out of here with that "objective" bullshit.

Blizzard

Banned
I really hope they give us the option to turn off the motion blur, it made me insanely sick :(
The option is in there (at least on PC). I cranked up the FOV and turned off the motion blur first thing. I think consoles have a FOV slider too, side note.

"Don't destroy the statue or you'll ruin everything!"

"YOU RUINED EVERYTHING!!"

"Don't destroy the statue or you'll ruin everything!"

"YOU RUINED EVERYTHING!!"
Ha that got so old.

To be fair, it's true to classic Mirror's Edge when I'd miss the train jump.

"The train Faith, take the train."
*splat*
*splat*

Naturally classic Mirror's Edge had shorter lines and shorter reloads though. :p

Yeahhhh that needs fixed, lol. Did you report it on the forum?

A-V-B

The option is in there (at least on PC). I cranked up the FOV and turned off the motion blur first thing. I think consoles have a FOV slider too, side note.

Ha that got so old.

To be fair, it's true to classic Mirror's Edge when I'd miss the train jump.

*splat*
*splat*

"All you had to do was follow the damn train, Faith!"

Brofield

Dumb question, but do I need PSN to play the beta? When I first downloaded it on the 22nd, it ran fine with no problems, but when I'm trying to play now it says that I can't connect online.

I've checked my connection, and my WiFi is fine. This only happened after it downloaded some update.

Blizzard

Banned
Dumb question, but do I need PSN to play the beta? When I first downloaded it on the 22nd, it ran fine with no problems, but when I'm trying to play now it says that I can't connect online.

I've checked my connection, and my WiFi is fine. This only happened after it downloaded some update.
I think the beta has expired. It's disabled on Origin too.

I can't wait for this to be out now :(

It was so relaxing just running around and exploring the rooftops. When all the tools for running are unlocked including the rope swing thing it's going to be so much fun.

Anyone else get to this really awkward to get to area?

ueIrr51.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/Easnf

Didn't look like I could get there from the outside (you "hop" up the slide shown in one of the pics), and unfortunately I happened to get there on a bit of glitched "still working" gameplay post server shut-down so I wasn't able to go back and grab some screens of the entrance slide. :(

There wasn't much there, but a few of the little things (railing placement, overhang, slide) made me think it simply wasn't complete yet. I kind of wonder if it's part of the story side (there's a weird curtain bit that looks like a door).

So I played through about half of Mirror's Edge 2008 last night, and I'm just saying... you guys who think the original is better are crazy!

I love ME but the game is littered with so many niggling issues—things that have always bothered me but become that much more apparent. Just a few:

1) Objects that Faith should be able to use as springboards can't be used that way. You can essentially only spring board off of objects that are specifically highlighted in red, regardless of shape.

2) Ledge grab is finicky. It sometimes decides not to work. Never experienced this in the new beta.

3) The combat is much worse, and there's much more combat overall.

4) Even disregarding combat, the level design often forces you to slow down with ledge hang puzzles, vent infiltrations, and areas that force you to run in tight "zig zag" patterns. All of these things are present in the new beta, but they're far less common.

So I played through about half of Mirror's Edge 2008 last night, and I'm just saying... you guys who think the original is better are crazy!

I love ME but the game is littered with so many niggling issues—things that have always bothered me but become that much more apparent. Just a few:

1) Objects that Faith should be able to use as springboards can't be used that way. You can essentially only spring board off of objects that are specifically highlighted in red, regardless of shape.

2) Ledge grab is finicky. It sometimes decides not to work. Never experienced this in the new beta.

3) The combat is much worse, and there's much more combat overall.

4) Even disregarding combat, the level design often forces you to slow down with ledge hang puzzles, vent infiltrations, and areas that force you to run in tight "zig zag" patterns. All of these things are present in the new beta, but they're far less common.
Yeah I was playing 2008 recently but gave up in Chapter 5 or something because there was a bullshit room with two guys with SMGs and they kept killing me before I could do anything. Tried it about 15 times then just closed it.

I've been listening an archived developer stream of the beta on Youtube (not watching, because I don't want to forget the beta as much as possible), and the developer said there'd be a way to turn of health bars.

I liked having health bars, but I know they bothered a lot of people, so there you go.

Edit: Dev also confirmed that everything unlocked by default in the beta skill tree will also be unlocked by default in the final game. I had little doubt this was the case after seeing how the Beta was structured, but there you go.

Top Bottom