• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst is evidently the name of the new game

NotLiquid

32kvCLG.png

The trend in game marketing of appending major "words" like these with a dictionary copy paste is just kinda hilarious to me

MattyG

Banned
Better than Retribution or Revelations I guess, and I can see how it actually applies to the story (if Faith is a catalyst for revolution or something).

I like that logo too.

I hope the game explores the events leading up to Pope's murder in the original.

Unless the reboot is completely reboot-y.

I liked the totalitarian state story and atmosphere. The unnatural cleanliness aesthetic. The music.

God I love that game.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
All I'm glad to see is that this at least means that Mirror's Edge will be shown in some capacity at E3. One of my most anticipated games I'm looking forward to seeing really.
I think an E3 appearance has been pretty much guaranteed since the game showed up in EA's financial plans as releasing fiscal year Q4 (Jan-March 2016).

Can't wait, I hope it's appropriately faithful and improved.

L1NETT

no guns no guns no guns no guns no guns

Weird and kinda unnecessary subtitle. Didn't mind just calling it Mirror's Edge again and rebooting it. Story in the original was so banal wasn't a great loss in dumping it and starting afresh but retaining Faith (who is great).

But hey they are making more Mirror's Edge so who am I to complain.

Just please make it good. No open world, no guns, no co-op. Just well designed levels, tight controls and let me glide around some rooftops like no tomorrow.

Ramenman

The trend in game marketing of appending major "words" like these with a dictionary copy paste is just kinda hilarious to me

Yeah, it's so corny. It's like those trailer that start with a quote from Sun Tzu, Nietzsche or Einstein.

Still gonna buy the hell out of this though.

ViciousDS

Banned
EAs conference has soooooo much going for it this year. Last year was terrible pretty much terrible all around. It seems like we will finally see a lot this year

I'm sure you're right but this is the first instance of it that I can recall!

Hoping it's good. I'm a little worried by comments implying that combat is to be a focus. Hopefully that just means improving it rather than making it compulsory.

Artex

Banned
I can't wait to see this. Still so afraid they will fuck this up. All they needed to do was build off the first iteration and tweak some things, so them talking about all the gameplay changes during the reveal still scares me. Fingers crossed though; ME was my favorite game that year.

RedAssedApe

Banned
dumb sub-title

if its a reboot just call it mirrors edge

excited to see this though. OG game was great...although I wonder if Dying Light will end up stealing its thunder.

I really like "Mirror's Edge" as a title, and while "Catalyst" isn't a bad subtitle on its own, it just doesn't go well with ME. Mirror's Edge 2 or even just Mirror's Edge would've been better to me.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't like the title to be honest...I wish I was just called Mirror's Edge.

Oh well.
How would one distinguish between the only two games in the series when marketing / talking about them, then? ME 2008 vs. ME 2016 or something? But it was released in 2009 on PC, making things even more confusing. :p

"Mirror's Edge 2" would at least let people find it on search engines and refer to it clearly. The original game is still loved by at least a few people -- I personally don't plan to forget it as soon as a reboot comes out.

_woLf

How would one distinguish between the only two games in the series when marketing / talking about them, then? ME 2008 vs. ME 2016 or something? But it was released in 2009 on PC, making things even more confusing. :p

"Mirror's Edge 2" would at least let people find it on search engines and refer to it clearly. The original game is still loved by at least a few people -- I personally don't plan to forget it as soon as a reboot comes out.

It didn't stop EA from doing it with Need for Speed Most Wanted, and it seemed to work fine then...

That being said, I would prefer Mirror's Edge 2 over "Catalyst". Makes it sound like a spinoff.

Dartastic

As long as this game is still in development (which it obviously is) and it's good (which I hope it will be) I really don't care what it's called.

Blizzard

Banned
It didn't stop EA from doing it with Need for Speed Most Wanted, and it seemed to work fine then...

That being said, I would prefer Mirror's Edge 2 over "Catalyst". Makes it sound like a spinoff.
Thanks, I didn't know about EA doing it with Most Wanted.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Don't know how I feel about the word tied on to the title, I like the idea behind it, but I liked the plainness of the title without a sub-title attached.

I think an E3 appearance has been pretty much guaranteed since the game showed up in EA's financial plans as releasing fiscal year Q4 (Jan-March 2016).

Can't wait, I hope it's appropriately faithful and improved.

Somehow I had only seen that a few hours ago, unless that really was when it was found too.

But now that the name looks to be for the main game, it's not only guaranteed from the financial plans, but there should be at least a game trailer and probably even a live demo.

Can't wait either.

Adaren

Dramatic Words: Meaningless

Can't say I'm a fan. If it's a full-on reboot, I wish they would just call it "Mirror's Edge" and drop the vacuous subtitle.

terrisus

Didn't stop "Ninja Gaiden"

(As far as I'm concerned, the only game named that is for the NES >.>)

Disgraced

I don't like it. It doesn't flow off the tongue and it's too many words. Sounds like a 90s dungeon crawler. I like my sequels numbered.

Blizzard

Banned
Didn't stop "Ninja Gaiden"

(As far as I'm concerned, the only game named that is for the NES >.>)
At least those games were 16 years apart rather than 8. The 6+ years since Mirror's Edge have apparently gone by really quickly for me, wow.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Yep, calling the only two games in the franchise the same would be ridiculous. But then again, this is EA we're talking about, and we know the mess it made with the Need for Speed titles (sequels numbered backwards, repeating names, using the name of the first game without the initial "The"), so this shouldn't be too surprising.

I'm still confused by the idea of ME2 being a reboot. There's only a single game released in the main series and a mobile spin-off, what is there to reboot?

Luke_Wal

They might, it's totally possible.
New NFS is just called Need for Speed and it's a reboot.
New BF is just called Battlefront and it's a reboot.
New ME is also a reboot and has just been called Mirror's Edge.

Maybe Catalyst the new addiction to the name though or maybe it's a sequel to the mobile runner.

MY GOD YOU JUST MADE ME REMEMBER HOW GREAT MIRRORS EDGE FOR IPAD WAS.

PLEASE EA.

-SD-

Banned
Can't wait to play it. Please be as good as the first game.
I love Mirror's Edge, but... it's not that good of a game, as such. Mediocre, at best. It's a great virtual parkour simulator, though, and that's why I love it.

I'm afraid that Dice will mess up this reboot by including too much action sequences in it. Basically not learning anything from the mistakes of the original.

Top Bottom