• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst-New 4-minute Gameplay Video

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2pW-utZtmk
one of the developers behind the gameplay and combat systems to bring you a developer commentary about the fighting system in the game

I know a lot of people don't like the 3rd person takedown but I really like the way they look, really seamless. Also a pretty big improvement from the beta in terms of graphics.

Warriorr

Neo Member
Graphics look better than in the beta considering he's playing on Xbox One.

There are some framerates issues.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Combat still looks like complete ass and very clunky in Mirror's Edge. Not that surprised tbh...

If this wasn't called mirror's edge or this pretty, i would think it's some terrible indie prototype for first person melee combat.

It looks terrible.

K.N.W.

I wish they didn't remove the ability to pickup guns, I felt it was fine in the first game as the assault rifle made you as slow as a turtle, and you couldn't overuse it.

Nev

Banned
You know the game is ruined when there's an objective that starts with "eliminate X", but if you didn't know for sure, let the radar, the life bars and the the alert status confirm that the first one will just never receive an actual sequel . Well at least it looks stunning.

They really should just find ways to raise tension without using momentum breaking combat, but combat markets better hence why it gets 50 percent of the trailer time and only 10 percent of actual game time.

Philippo

Heh not convinced by the combat, plus knowing my playstyle i'll probably try to dash away.

Also seriously hope the UI is customizable because some parts are truly obstrusive.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I must be crazy but I loved the combat in the first Mirror's Edge and this look much better.

Wow, that was bad. The combat was bad, the frame rate was bad and the game isn't really a looker. I played the beta on PS4 and I was not impressed. Looks like a solid pass for me.

PulseONE

I'm torn on whether this looks like it would be clunky or not without actually trying it

It LOOKS like something that could be cool once you get used to it, but it also has a bit of jank to it...

Visually game still looks stunning though, I hope they put in a photo mode

jelly

First person combat is one tough cookie, I don't think it will ever not be awkward and disorienting in comparison to pointing a reticule to shoot or fighting in 3rd person.

It looks functional there with options and variety but probably just so weird to play. There just isn't that depth to cage the distance so you are judging it like shooting, what's in the line of sight, not the distance to target which is much easier in 3rd person.

I'm a huge fan of the first game, but other than looking pretty, this game has nothing going for it. Feels uninspired and clunky. Gonna wait for a deep discount or EA Access.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The combat looks awful. Can you play it while keep it to a minimum? That "eliminate" objective seems to say No.

Jackpot

Banned
The "clear out enemies" objective is exactly what I feared from ME going open-world. Generated repetitive objectives without the focus a linear level would give. Who wants to bet there's a whole bunch of pick-up X objectives?

Gurish

Graphics look better than in the beta considering he's playing on Xbox One.

There are some framerates issues.

He played it on XB1? wow it does seem to be hugely improved compared to the beta, they did the same with Battlefront as well, DICE are really talented technically.

alienator

The fighting mechanics in the original mirror's edge were horrible, and this seems to be not much better.

could easily be fixed though.

just give faith a shotgun.

Alienous

The momentum movement doesn't help the fluidity of the combat. Once you stop moving, even to hit someone, it's like all fun potential is drained out of the combat. And the enemies don't seem to position themselves in a way where you can just keep moving.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The "clear out enemies" objective is exactly what I feared from ME going open-world. Generated repetitive objectives without the focus a linear level would give. Who wants to bet there's a whole bunch of pick-up X objectives?
The main missions are linear levels like the first ME game.

Gurish

The fighting mechanics in the original mirror's edge were horrible, and this seems to be not much better.

could easily be fixed though.

just give faith a shotgun.

Seriously just let her shoot, design the combat around moving and shooting, if you stand still while shooting they hit you with 100% accuracy and after 3 shots you're dead, just force the player to move all the time, do a wall jump while shooting etc, that you will feel like Neo almost.

I'm certain you can design a good shooting system around the game's philosophy.

Warriorr

Neo Member
Don't judge the game from that video. It really shows you like the worst parts of what I played from the beta. Those types of missions only appeared twice and combat isn't even 10% of the game.

Alienous

Seriously just let her shoot, design the combat around moving and shooting, if you stand still while shooting they hit you with 100% accuracy and after 3 shots you dead, just force the player to move alk the time, do a wall jump while shooting etc, that you will feel like Neo almost.

I'm certain you can design a good shooting system around the game's philosophy.

Yeah, especially combined with combat, I think a suppressive fire system would add something. Not picking up a game and aiming down the sights, but hip firing at enemies not to kill them but to give you time to get in close and manage ranged enemies.

Kevin Atomic

Neo Member
The first game had me constantly unsure how I felt about the experience as a whole, but I loved the concept and world. This one so far seems like it will be the same, will likely also be something I rent/buy used/wait for a price drop because of that.

Neiteio

Yeah, especially combined with combat, I think a suppressive fire system would add something. Not picking up a game and aiming down the sights, but hip firing at enemies not to kill them but to give you time to get in close and manage ranged enemies.
I think they should give her a non-lethal stun-gun. Like you run up a wall and zap a distant enemy, stunning that enemy so they can't shoot you while you close the gap. But if you stand still and try to aim your stun-gun, you'll be shot down, so you need to keep moving.

HUD is terrible. XP system why... Combat looks just... abyssal...

I hope everything is optional and we can get the core experience as close as the original as possible

Nothing about that looks smooth, natural or enticing.

In fact, that's a 4 minute video showcasing everything I don't want to be doing in a Mirror's Edge game. :/

Yeah I'm not feeling this game at all. There should not be this much focus on an element of the game so wildly divorced from what was the original draw of the series.

Would be like Mario showing off some new complicated combat system.

Top Bottom