• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - new previews/videos - Closed Beta begins April 22-26th

ezekial45

Banned
I was initially a bit iffy about this being a reboot, but I feel a lot better about it now. The cutscenes look stellar.

Kezen

Banned
How intrusive is the "social play" ? Can you turn that crap off ?

I don't want to run into the "ghost" of someone else, I won't bother with their app either.

DOWN

Banned
Looks stunning. I desperately hope I'm in the beta with how many times I beat the first game

Theorry

Holy shit that looks incredible. Climbing and rolling is faster and combat is super quick and impactful. Looks like everything I want from another Mirror's Edge game. Definitely turning off the runner hologram thing though, that's horrible. Making poles and walls red is enough to see where you need to go.

The person playing in the IGN video isn't very good, seems to be all over the place. I don't think the IGN video has been recorded properly because the framerate is all over the shop and the sides of the HUD are cut off.

The Polygon one is much better.
jackfrags vid is good quality wise. As always. :)

Wanderer5

Daaaaaaamn, not going to bother looking through the whole exploration video or opening level, but movement and traversing looks so great. Looking forward to the closed beta if selected.

Iffy about the third person shots during combat through, unless you can turn that off.

Nowise10

I hate these closed betas because I always end up never getting in even though I sign up right when they announce them.

GavinUK86

0UKE90s.gif

Such a small leap in graphics since original 2009... Hope Youtube PC/1080p/60FPS videos are on medium/high settings.
Sadly, absolutely nothing stands out, i hoped for clean iq and minimalistic style, but with many reflections/volumetric lights/better AO

The whole CORPORATIONS MAN angle strikes me as pretty tiresome. Not that Capitalism is beyond reproach or anything, but I preferred the Police State/Corporate Collusion of the original game to the Globalized Post-State dystopia Catalyst seems to be presenting.

Jebusman

Banned
Well, it's either that or vomiting so it's lose-lose

I'm down with vomiting.

Well actually I would've been down with them moving away from combat, which was my least favorite part of the first game, but since that's obviously never going to happen, asking for a constant first person is the best I can get.

Well actually I would've been down with them moving away from combat, which was my least favorite part of the first game, but since that's obviously never going to happen, asking for a constant first person is the best I can get.

Just play on easy.

At least in the first game, the only thing the difficulty changed was the combat, so by setting it to easy, you could effectively make the combat a much less major part of the game. I'd imagine the same will apply here.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, the good news is that it ends in first person, so if you really wanted to... you could probably watch the program's guts and see what switch flips it.

Or read the other posters that have said you can turn that off. :)

The graphics look way worse than the first one, at least on this gameplay, also hate the new huge flashy orbs/pathfinder and all that, just takes away the realism...why is the red so saturated, that there are no shadows at all?

what a disapointment

A-V-B

Or read the other posters that have said you can turn that off. :)

They're talking about Runner's Vision, not the takedown cam.

And it looks like the controls have been simplified, a little bit. Not a ton, but a little bit. Those boost platforms look easier to engage. You just hold the parkour button or whatever. I don't remember it being that smooth in the original.

DOWN

Banned
The graphics look way worse than the first one, at least on this gameplay, also hate the new huge flashy orbs/pathfinder and all that, just takes away the realism...why is the red so saturated, that there are no shadows at all?

what a disapointment

the graphics looks worse than the first game???

the graphics looks worse than the first game???

Just look at them, they dont look nearly as polished as the first, probably due to the fact that the game is an open world game now..

When The Order 1886 came out, and most people didnt like it, I loved it for being a linear story, and unfortunately games are becoming more and more open world without the need to, most games this generation are open world, GTA IV, The Division, Far Cry Primal/4, Destiny, Witcher 3 and so on...What happened to story driven,linear games?!

Not saying that any of them is a good or bad game, but publishers seem to be pushing the "look how big our world is!" thing a bit too far...not every game needs an imense world

Kezen

Banned
How to you "see" other people's dashes ? They can't be permanently visible otherwise the game world would literally be littered with user created races and it would be quite a pain to navitage the game world.

Do you have to toggle the "runner vision" ?

Top Bottom