• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - new previews/videos - Closed Beta begins April 22-26th

Theorry

Not sure what to think about the 3rd person stuff yet. It indeed breaks abit the immersion and imo the moves look cooler in first person. I like tho how you can push people in other people and it breaks their defense for a attack.

F2RnOna.gif

lDmaV8O.gif

xam3l

Dat feeling when you realize the first game had better combat.

Dat feeling when you realize this game has unskippable cutscenes, and you'd rather have the flash-trash of the first game over this shit anyway.

This game feels like shit. The controls feel slow, laggy and unresponsive, and not helped by a garbage framerate.

0zBRSkt.jpg

lF6zAMv.jpg

HnKpAy7.jpg

Why am I getting these numbers when I'm starting straight at a wall or at an empty hallway?

NJO40G5.jpg

And this is just offensive. I can't deal with this. How can you lock such a basic and essential move? I'm quickly losing any interest I had in a Mirror's Edge sequel. Are the original developers even involved with this game? The tutorial was a really, REALLY awful thing to play through, treating us as if we're all idiots, and you can't disable the constant marker telling you where you need to go (no, not runner vision). It's really intrusive to me. I'd rather play ME1 again than this thing.

It's a Beta you know? Not even a demo.

So I've been playing it for a good 2 hours and I feel just meh about it. I hope when I have the full game I won't feel that way, I love Mirror's Edge to bits and I just don't want this to be a disappointment.

SomTervo

Dat feeling when you realize this game has unskippable cutscenes, and you'd rather have the flash-trash of the first game over this shit anyway.

This game feels like shit. The controls feel slow, laggy and unresponsive, and not helped by a garbage framerate.

0zBRSkt.jpg

lF6zAMv.jpg

HnKpAy7.jpg

Why am I getting these numbers when I'm starting straight at a wall or at an empty hallway?

NJO40G5.jpg

And this is just offensive. I can't deal with this. How can you lock such a basic and essential move? I'm quickly losing any interest I had in a Mirror's Edge sequel. Are the original developers even involved with this game? The tutorial was a really, REALLY awful thing to play through, treating us as if we're all idiots, and you can't disable the constant marker telling you where you need to go (no, not runner vision). It's really intrusive to me. I'd rather play ME1 again than this thing.

Lol.

Dat feeling when you see that the story/narrative seems to have been hugely improved - still not great, but leagues above the first game's

Dat feeling when the controls feel responsive and sharp and free running seems better than ever - this feels like 60FPS

Dat feeling when the locked moves all have equal, if slightly less efficient already-unlocked equivalents, so the skill-tree pill is nowhere near as bitter to swallow (edit- noticed quicktirn is locked behind upgrade - that is a bit lame, but takes no time to unlock)

Dat feeling when the combat feels infinitely smoother and more intuitive than before - nothing like the janky awkwardness of the first game

Dat feeling of there being no guns

Dat feeling of truly being able to find your own fastest path through a level/area

Dat sense that this feels exactly like what it should be - Mirror's Edge 2.0. A true evolution of the first game.

thisisneogaf.gif

One question for people playing.

In the first game, when Faith made a hard jump, like to a pipe or something from across a gap, when she grabbed the pipe, it felt like world shook. Like Faith actually hit what was she was grabbing.

Does the game still have that sense of impact in it?

Theorry

One question for people playing.

In the first game, when Faith made a hard jump, like to a pipe or something from across a gap, when she grabbed the pipe, it felt like world shook. Like Faith actually hit what was she was grabbing.

Does the game still have that sense of impact in it?

Jup.

I need you GAFers to upload footage, cause GAFers are the most skilled at games (right?) and I need to see what someone who knows how to play the game properly looks like.

Metal-Geo

Played a bit. I can't quite put my finger on it but the visuals feel like they've lost the ultra clean, easy to read look of the original game.

Hah. Never really noticed how much the first game's aesthetic reminds me of the Dreamcast. Which, oddly enough, makes me appreciate it even more now.

There's definitely a shift in art style. But Catalyst's design looks stunning nonetheless.

Tabasco

From my underdstanding frontsrunners (EA newsletter scubscribers) who were chosen, get their codes today and then everyone else who was chosen to be in the closed beta will get theirs tomorrow.
I wish I knew about the frontrunner thing.

Hopefully I get a code tomorrow then, or try my luck at getting one some other way.

Tawpgun

I'm loving it.

A few things,

What exactly does the focus bar do? And is there more to the combat, I can only dodge attacks, is there a counter move?

teokrazia

Sooo floaty. Not saying whether it's worse or better yet because I've had tons of experience with 2008 so of COURSE it would feel different. But Faith feels much, much lighter.

Yep, same for me!

Some new impressions:
- crouch jump is still there. It must be unlocked on the skill tee [it's called "coil", I think].
- mouse and keyboard work like a charm, but in this build there's not an option to rebind keys
- some BF console commands [such as perfoverlay.drawfps and gametime.maxvariablefps] work via user.cfg
- I though 16 GB of RAM were a 'cautelative recommendation', like Battlefront [that I've played maxed, on my old 2500 + 8 GB, with no problems] but I saw the game reach 11 GB of system memory usage on my 5820K + 16 GB:
https://youtu.be/3hjEQwFoV8Y

DOWN

Banned

0zBRSkt.jpg

lF6zAMv.jpg

HnKpAy7.jpg

NJO40G5.jpg

This is so dramatic lmao

It improves on the first in numerous ways.

ViciousDS

Banned

You mean the one where you slide and hit a single button to take down an enemy and then spam punch until they swing so you can counter?

Oh yes, thats better.........dear heavens that whole post looks like you really wanted the beta.....just to complain

Played the beta for about an hour, and it's definitely a marked improvement from the first. It's probably me still getting used to the controls, but the wallrunning doesn't feel that great to me. Other than that, running feels solid. I kind of worry that all of the enemy AI is just going to be just kind of dull and fodder for the rest of the game. Still, can't wait for next May!

Top Bottom