• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge E3 2014 "Prototype Gameplay" trailer and DICE message

And there are people actively worried about things there's been no indication of, like a focus on combat over parkour. There's a difference between discussion/theorizing/pontification and "the moment they mentioned the word 'combat' I turned off the trailer. The whole games going to be about it :((((("

Well, they feel strongly about the combat, seems reasonable enough to post about.

Just think you're worrying too much about it, but you do what you gotta do.

i hated the combat in the first one, it was too intrusive for me, took me a long time to replay the game because of it, if they really improved it, like hit and go whitout interrumping the flow , maybe, maybe i could like it, but i hated it in my first playtrough and nearly make me not play the game again.

Blizzard

Banned
And there are people actively worried about things there's been no indication of, like a focus on combat over parkour. There's a difference between discussion/theorizing/pontification and "the moment they mentioned the word 'combat' I turned off the trailer. The whole games going to be about it :((((("
There's a difference between saying "the moment they mentioned the word 'combat' I turned off the trailer" -- I haven't said that, and it seems like an exaggeration to me -- and discussing what the producer of the game means by "We are also committed to provide the best 1st person close combat in the world."

With a quote like that, and how both media presentations/events thus far have showcased combat effects, I think it is reasonable to discuss whether the producer is seeking to make combat more mandatory (though more fluid).

Mindwipe

It's a bit of a shame it's so early, but I really, really liked what was shown. A lot.

Some combat is fine as long as it can be avoided and doesn't break the pace. And here it looks like they're doing it right - you're throwing yourself at people to knock them over, rather than gunplay. That's *great*.

I'm not talking about the blue, dude.
Here's what you said:
But ... they've actually scaled back the color palette of the game? I remember there being a lot of yellows and greens and oranges, too.

Those waiting rooms throughout the game ranged the whole spectrum.

You remember there being lots of different colors in the final version of the first game.

You suspect they've scaled back the color palette. All we've seen is one area (that EA said was gameplay) in the 2013 trailer, prototype footage of the game in this 2014 trailer and three pieces of concept art.

The concept art is as white as the training area in the first game and various other outdoor segments in the downtown portions.

if1Zs4IwC0vom.jpg

Considering how little we've seen of ME2, assuming in any way that the palette as been scaled back is unfounded.

Well, they feel strongly about the combat, seems reasonable enough to post about.

Just think you're worrying too much about it, but you do what you gotta do.
Looks like everyone is too worried about everything.

There's a difference between saying "the moment they mentioned the word 'combat' I turned off the trailer" -- I haven't said that

Then that wasn't in reference to what you said.

There are posts like these
They lost me the moment they started talking about combat. Combat was by far the worst part of Mirrors Edge. I don't want any of it in the sequel. Completely misses the point of the game.

Yes. The game was never about combat.

Yeah, I was a little disappointed at the first mention of combat. Then I thought, oh, maybe there's no guns, but then I saw an enemy drop one a few seconds later. I don't mind dudes with batons, but I don't like running from bullets.

Where people say the very inclusion of combat and guns in the game — both of which were in ME — somehow puts them off the game entirely, despite there being no actual indication the game is now all about combat and guns.

It's improved and it has a place in the game, the prequel to which featured multiple paths and approaches to beating it.

thumb

Banned
:)

So proud to work on this.

Thank you for contributing to this game!

At PAX 2012, I walked up to the DICE Battlefield booth and asked whether anyone there had worked on Mirror's Edge. One guy said yes, so I shook his hand, and thanked him. One of my favorite games. Really, really looking forward to ME2.

While I'm here, let me add: Please resist the urge to "sex up" Faith for marketing purposes.

I'm more excited by this trailer than I was last year. I was worried they would focus too much on combat but the combat looks like it will be a part of the flow of running now and not there to break up the flow. The improved climbing speed looks good.

I'm a little disappointed, and this is just nostalgia talking, but I miss her split toed shoes. Her new pointy shoes look silly.

Damn, the art director Jhony Ljungstedt looks like a member of 30 seconds to Mars, and the Dice offices look like how I would imagine Abstrago corp to look like. Glass walls and ultra minimalism, all around. Very Scandinavian indeed.

royalan

I'm more excited by this trailer than I was last year. I was worried they would focus too much on combat but the combat looks like it will be a part of the flow of running now and not there to break up the flow. The improved climbing speed looks good.

I'm a little disappointed, and this is just nostalgia talking, but I miss her split toed shoes. Her new pointy shoes look silly.

It's actually a good thing they got rid of those, as it was recently found that split toed shoes might actually be bad for your feet as a long-distance runner.

A-V-B

Hang on, people are complaining about the lack of color from a white-box prototype? Hmm..

I'm not even complaining. I'm just pointing out a difference.

There may still be rooms that burst with color, or glorious vibrant orange sunsets, I don't know. Just commenting on what I've seen from finished-looking levels (at the end when Faith jumps) and from concept art.

SpyGuy239

Am I the only one that is glad there is combat?

It was the only thing that original Mirror's edge was lacking in in that they didn't execute it too well. Looks to be great here which will be awesome.

I suppose if you'r not into combat you can just avoid it?

KarmaCow

That's right. I did it in Mirrors Edge. I never had to hit someone.

Wow doing stuff like the server room without guns is one thing, I cannot imagine doing without fighting anyone at all. There were just too many enemies for me to ignore them in my no-gun run.

Blizzard

Banned
J'ACCUSE! You shot someone for sure! :p
There's even an achievement for not shooting anyone. :p

Wow doing stuff like the server room without guns is one thing, I cannot imagine doing without fighting anyone at all. There were just too many enemies for me to ignore them in my no-gun run.
At least on easy/normal difficulties, even without glitches, you literally do not have to touch any enemies besides boss enemies and one specific garage.

That said, there are several areas where this may not be EASY. About the server room specifically, spoilers on doing that area:
You can run around the outside of the room as fast as possible, and the gunfire will damage the servers for you. Once all servers are damaged, there are one or two convenient jumpboost boxes so you can vault up next to the heavy machine gunner without taking fire. He will switch to melee when you get close, but you can just keep running and escape upstairs before he starts shooting enough to kill you.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I really liked the hand to hand combat takedowns in the whatever-they-showed-who-even-knows-these-days video thingy.

The first mirror's edge kinda sucked but I was able to appreciate that they were trying something different. I also love the visual aesthetics of the game.

I feel like mirror's edge should be open world. Something about free climbing and exploring will greatly suit the parkour mechanics.

Something about the first felt so closed off like an obstacle course. I want to explore a world with those climbing mechanics and interact with the environment and NPCs, not just climb around in a linear environment and shoot things occasionally.

Top Bottom