• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge to be PS3 timed exclusive according to David Reeves, need Deutsch GAF

Chrange

Banned
When's the last time Reeves got anything right? He was the guy saying the very first PS3 units were dedicated to Europe, a week before they announced the delay :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They do quote him as saying that, but DICE says that they don't know of anything, but that's it possible arrangements are being made at a higher level that they're not aware of yet.

Google Translate of the article (reeves comment is first, DICE's second):

The PS3 will be continuously supplied with exclusive games: "We are continuously, month after month publish new titles that bring something unique and different target groups. In a month, it is Gran Turismo, in the next SingStar, as well as Third-Party Title as mirrors Edge by Electronic Arts are part of this strategy. " Laut Reeves werde Mirrors Edge zunächst exklusiv für die PS3 in diesem Jahr erscheinen. According to Reeves Mirrors Edge will initially exclusively for the PS3 this year. Die PC- und Xbox-360-Versionen würden deutlich später folgen. The PC and Xbox 360 versions would follow much later. Die Entwickler von DICE bei Elektronic Arts konnten diese Aussage jedoch nicht bestätigen: "Davon wissen wir bislang nichts. Es ist aber möglich, dass es hier Absprachen auf höchster Ebene gibt, von denen man uns noch nicht unterrichtet hat." The developers of DICE for Electronic Arts this statement could not confirm, however: "That we know so far nothing. But it is possible that there is collusion at the highest level, of which we are still not informed." Bislang gehen die Entwickler davon aus, dass Mirrors Edge zum Jahresende auf PS3, Xbox 360 und PC gleichzeitig erscheint. ( hag /c't) So far, the developers assume that mirrors Edge at year-end PS3, Xbox 360 and PC simultaneously.

If it were true it could be about Europe.

Also, I had noticed that in online ads for Mirrors Edge, the PS3 box alone was shown. It is the lead platform also, AFAIK. But that kind of thing could just be marketing co-operation, rather than indication of a bigger deal.

Iksenpets

Banned
Unless the entire Sony Europe staff have given themselves up as personal slaves for John Riccitiello I can't see EA giving any sort of exclusive window on an internally developed game.

I don't really believe it (although it would be a great move on Sony's part). But EA has shown with Rock Band 2 that they aren't against handing out timed exclusives.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
The translation is ok. It really says that Mirror's Edge will be a timed exclusive for PS3, but still I don't believe it.

Iksenpets

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I don't really believe it (although it would be a great move on Sony's part). But EA has shown with Rock Band 2 that they aren't against handing out timed exclusives.

That's a Partners game though. MTV is free to choose their console of choice for their game, just like EA can't force Crytek into console versions of Crysis or Valve into a PS3 version of Left 4 Dead. This is DICE. EA owned and operated. EA has complete control over this one.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
They have been showing ME on PS3s in every major event so far, and I think the trailer premiered for the game at Sony's Gamers Day if I'm not mistaken. So it wouldn't be totally out of left field.

Anth

Heise.de is legit, so this is very likely true. I don't think Reeves would be stupid enough to make a blatantly false statement.

FightyF

Banned
I only question the timing of this. Compared to the PS3, it's the 360 with the slower year.

Look at UT3, it made a lot of sense going PS3 exclusive last year, as there was a lot of focus on Halo 3 on the 360.

The PS3 is going to have a stacked release schedule compared to both the 360 and PC. The moneyhats are going to pretty large. But why would Sony give out moneyhats when they've done a good job of 1st party production for this Fall? Especially when you consider that for saving costs they've shut down some projects in Europe (8 Days).

On the other hand, it looks to be a great game and I wouldn't be surprised if Sony was eyeing it.

FirewalkR

I don't like timed exclusivity (or full exclusivity announced mid-development) as a matter of principle. However, if Sony wants to go down this road, Mirror's Edge is possibly the best choice they had this year.

I guess I'll wait for official confirmation and, if true, subsequent "Generic" and "I never liked this anyway" kind of posts.

PS: And I loathe exclusive extra content in otherwise multiplatform games.

Farnack

Banned
Maybe he's saying that Mirror's Edge is PS3 timed exclusive only if you find the pirated version before the release date. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
chubigans said:
They have been showing ME on PS3s in every major event so far, and I think the trailer premiered for the game at Sony's Gamers Day if I'm not mistaken. So it wouldn't be totally out of left field.

If you go onto eurogamer.net, chances are you'll see a mirrors edge ad, which flashes the ps3 box at the end. There does seem to be at least some co-marketing going on, between that and the tradeshow presences.

These aren't conclusive indicators, though.

Anth said:
Heise.de is legit, so this is very likely true. I don't think Reeves would be stupid enough to make a blatantly false statement.

In the direct comment he doesn't explicitly say the word 'exclusive'. Heise does say he said that it would be initially exclusive and that other versions would follow later, but there's no direct quote to that effect. I'd expect their journos not to mix things up, but stranger things have happened.

Indeed, it wouldn't be so strange for Reeves to mix things up!!

Somnia

It could be as simple as the 360 version may not be done in time to release it in Nov. who knows really though

Raist

Banned
Anth said:
I don't think Reeves would be stupid enough to make a blatantly false statement.

Dude. It's Reeves.

David Reeves.

Mr. "yeah the delay for PS3's launch in europe is a good thing" and "yeah you can DL PSP games on torrents sites". Etc, etc, etc.

Gowans

EA publishing and a end of year release, no chance.

I think Sony might do this as a advertising exclusive at the max tho. (or have it as a Sony lead like Criterion and Burnout where they speak about the title as a PS3 title first)

What's the direct quote from his mouth?

Far to many rumours like this have been thrown around and retracted recently.

Roquentin

Somnia said:
It could be as simple as the 360 version may not be done in time to release it in Nov. who knows really though
In that case, wouldn't it be better to push PS3 version back and launch both games at the same time - with only one marketing campaign?

Raist said:
Dude. It's Reeves.

David Reeves.

Mr. "yeah the delay for PS3's launch in europe is a good thing" and "yeah you can DL PSP games on torrents sites". Etc, etc, etc.

That's just him saying stupid things. There's a big difference between that and saying something is going to be a timed exclusive. That's actually lying.

BiasedGamer said:
In that case, wouldn't it be better to push PS3 version back and launch both games at the same time - with only one marketing campaign?

What is Sony's willing to pay for the marketing of the PS3 version?

Dever

Banned
Gowans007 said:
EA publishing and a end of year release, no chance.

Rock Band 2 is a 360 timed exclusive. I kind of agree about the end of year release thing though. Maybe the 360PC version could still come out in December or so?

Gowans

Dever said:
Rock Band 2 is a 360 timed exclusive.

yeah only for a month tho, I think that game is the exception with the whole regional mess and the peripheral manufacturing also being a factor.

Top Bottom