• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

News Misinformation dropped dramatically the week after Twitter banned Trump

JLB

Dec 6, 2018
Next, why not ban alcohol. Im pretty sure car accidents will drop.
Also all junk food can be banned as well, probably people will be less fat, less heart attacks and better mental health.
Another thing is if thats the kind of society I'd like to live in.

I_D

Dec 22, 2007
Good riddance honestly. That shit is just dum but and weird: it’s like Scientology for right wing nutcases.
I'm stealing this analogy. It's just too accurate.

It's a lot less nuts in this forum too.
Not quite yet, but it'll get better.
Once Trump is gone, and he's known as the laughing stock he's always been, the Trump-Dick-Sucking-Syndrome will finally end, and we'll be able to discuss politics again.

Give it a month or so, and people on this forum will be back to their old standard of hating/loving anything Team Blue does for no reason other than that they prefer elephants or donkeys, rather than slobbering over Trump's infamously-small knob.

Reactions: Mad_Titan

oatmeal

Banned
Jun 17, 2007
The responsibility shouldn’t be put on the owners of social media, but since our government can’t infringe on free speech, what other options do we have to fix this fake news/misinformation issue?
Stop the politicians from doing stupid shit that makes it so easy to spin fascinating takes about them.

I_D

Dec 22, 2007
Stop the politicians from doing stupid shit that makes it so easy to spin fascinating takes about them.
That would require electing intelligent officials.

While I want to join in your fantasy, I'm afraid it simply isn't going to happen.

Aug 7, 2019
It’s good to see Trump, wood, powell, Rudy, and the random others spreading bullshit come to an end.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Nov 4, 2020
Who watches the watchmen ?

nicolas cage wink GIF

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Nov 4, 2020
Strange I’m still seeing the Atlantic, MSNBC, the Late Night with SC, plus a few other up.

I thought they cured misinformation?

• Fire
Reactions: Ornlu

HoodWinked

Jun 30, 2010
Earth
Remember on chinese social media they have a 100% factual record. According to thier "experts"

People should realize that these people that somehow made this declaration this quickly means they have extremely flawed methodology if they could somehow already make this claim. This is on par with some random person making a personal anectode after looking through their feed for an hour.

Imagine if the prevailing consensus was the world was flat. Then someone says it's spherical that claim would be flagged as misinformation.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
You think Trump and his supporters being banned on social media is like the Nazi’s burning books, do you?

I think there's a lot of opportunistic censorship of political opposition running wild under the guise of 'protecting the public'. It's a continuation of the erosion of our civil liberties ala 'hate speech' and post-9/11 surveillance, or post-Columbine crackdowns on media content.

FunkMiller

Aug 14, 2014
I think there's a lot of opportunistic censorship of political opposition running wild under the guise of 'protecting the public'. It's a continuation of the erosion of our civil liberties ala 'hate speech' and post-9/11 surveillance, or post-Columbine crackdowns on media content.

So, essentially that's a yes then? You think the banning of Trump and his supporters is in some way similar to the Nazi's burning books. You actually see some correlation between private social media companies banning a man who incited an insurrection that ended up with a cop beaten to death... and the government sanctioned systematic destruction of anything that didn't support and further the ideologies of fascism.

Or am I reading you wrong? Easy for you to clarify.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
So, essentially that's a yes then? You think the banning of Trump and his supporters is in some way similar to the Nazi's burning books. You actually see some correlation between private social media companies banning a man who incited an insurrection that ended up with a cop beaten to death... and the government sanctioned systematic destruction of anything that didn't support and further the ideologies of fascism.

I hope someday you will be willing to engage in good faith. I'd be happy to scrap it out in whatever topic you so desire. Unfortunately, this post reads as:

So what you're saying is…” | Reformed Perspective

So it's hard to have a real conversation, even on a surface level.

Dec 15, 2011
The thirst to invoke Nazi labels in a disingenuous thread about so-called misinformation standards is tellingly ironic.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Aug 14, 2014
I hope someday you will be willing to engage in good faith. I'd be happy to scrap it out in whatever topic you so desire. Unfortunately, this post reads as:

So what you're saying is…” | Reformed Perspective're saying is…” | Reformed Perspective

So it's hard to have a real conversation, even on a surface level.

Dude. I simply asked if you equated the banning of Donald Trump with Nazi book burning.

All you had to say was "no, I don't".

I'll let others judge your position and wish you a good day.

Apr 19, 2019
Away with the fairies

Can you provide links from known, reputable sources that show where:

1) Trump incited an insurrection
2) Trumps actions led to a cop being beaten to death. Specifically what Trump did/say that led to his death?
3) Government sanction (your word) was enacted
4) anything was destroyed due to those sanctions.
5) Support for the ideologies of fascism existed
6) How those ideologies were furthered by said sanctions?

Last edited:
Reactions: Arkam

FunkMiller

Aug 14, 2014
Can you provide links from known, reputable sources that show where:

1) Trump incited an insurrection
2) Trumps actions led to a cop being beaten to death. Specifically what Trump did/say that led to his death?
3) Government sanction (your word) was enacted
4) anything was destroyed due to those sanctions.
5) Support for the ideologies of fascism existed
6) How those ideologies were furthered by said sanctions?

I think you may have what I said a bit confused....

You want me to provide proof that Nazi book burning was government sanctioned?

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
That would require electing intelligent officials.

While I want to join in your fantasy, I'm afraid it simply isn't going to happen.
That's rich coming from you

You think Trump and his supporters being banned on social media is like the Nazi’s burning books, do you?
No, I think liberals literally trying to ban, censure and block ideas is like Nazi's burning books.

I'm sure you will make dozen excuses for that, but the rest of us don't have to cheerlead this shit.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Aug 14, 2014
I think liberals literally trying to ban, censure and block ideas is like Nazi's burning books.

Then you have lost all perspective.

Nobody is banning or censuring ideas. A con man whose false claims about election fraud got banned off a social media network because those claims resulted in a riot and the death of a cop.

The Nazi government dictated that any and all books written about subjects that didn’t follow the facist ideology were destroyed to prevent the German nation being exposed to ideas that might make their question their Nazi masters.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Then you have lost all perspective.

Nobody is banning or censuring ideas. A con man whose false claims about election fraud got banned off a social media network because those claims resulted in a riot and the death of a cop.

The Nazi government dictated that any and all books written about subjects that didn’t follow the facist ideology were destroyed to prevent the German nation being exposed to ideas that might make their question their Nazi masters.
Then either you are a fool or you are blind. We are currently seeing that any ideas or politician or individuals who criticize or go against the mainstream narrative is banned on social media.

I don't see any reason why I have to pretend that isn't happening, or have to pretend that this is somehow being done in the in the name of the public safety.

The Nazis burned books to "protect the people from dangerous ideas". I don't see any difference here. Social media bans any idea they see as dangerous to the democratic party.

#walkaway, Ron Paul, conservative websites, social media or youtube channels are either demonetized, shut down or threaten with deplatforming for what reason FunkMiller FunkMiller ?

Don't try to gaslight us, and pretend this shit is normal.

FunkMiller

Aug 14, 2014
Then either you are a fool or you are blind. We are currently seeing that any ideas or politician or individuals who criticize or go against the mainstream narrative is banned on social media.

I don't see any reason why I have to pretend that isn't happening, or have to pretend that this is somehow being done in the in the name of the public safety.

The Nazis burned books to "protect the people from dangerous ideas". I don't see any difference here. Social media bans any idea they see as dangerous to the democratic party.

#walkaway, Ron Paul, conservative websites, social media or youtube channels are either demonetized, shut down or threaten with deplatforming for what reason FunkMiller FunkMiller ?

Don't try to gaslight us, and pretend this shit is normal.

Good Lord.

FunkMiller

Aug 14, 2014
"Good Lord" yourself. You can't respond to what I say, than move on.

Maybe spend the rest of your Sunday reading on Eisenhower

What exactly would be the point in continuing a conversation with a person who thinks Donald Trump getting banned off Twitter is as bad as Nazi book burning?

Aug 11, 2019
What's sad is how many people can't see where this is going. Don't get me wrong, qanon and a vast majority of right wing conspiracy stuff is straight up stupid.

If leftists and moderates think this is only for election fraud conspiracies and qanon people on the right, you're in for a real fucking big surprise.

Don't say we didn't tell you

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
What exactly would be the point in continuing a conversation with a person who thinks Donald Trump getting banned off Twitter is as bad as Nazi book burning?
When did I say that. In those words.

Or is this the part where you start making shit up because you can't argue against anything I actually said?

Reactions: KiNeMz

FunkMiller

Aug 14, 2014
When did I say that. In those words.

Or is this the part where you start making shit up because you can't argue against anything I actually said?

Your words:

“The Nazis burned books to "protect the people from dangerous ideas". I don't see any difference here. Social media bans any idea they see as dangerous to the democratic party.”

Look. We’re done. You’ve got views I find very unsavoury and have no desire to discuss with you further.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
“The Nazis burned books to "protect the people from dangerous ideas". I don't see any difference here. Social media bans any idea they see as dangerous to the democratic party.”

#walkaway, Ron Paul, conservative websites, social media or youtube channels are either demonetized, shut down or threaten with deplatforming

When did Ron Paul become Donald Trump?

Social media is banning people that have a dissenting view from the popular narrative. That is a fact. Censuring people who have ideas the political and buisness elite don't like is not a virtue.

Though, like I said previously, I'm sure you will make excuses for it, as you currently are

Dec 15, 2011
Your words:

Look. We’re done. You’ve got views I find very unsavoury and have no desire to discuss with you further.
And here is why you never let bad actors try this stunt.

After repeated attempts to bait someone else and force Nazi labels and references into the conversation...

..the instant the bait is taken the bad actor projects accountability for their phrasing onto their challenger, asserts blame and then tries to assume moral superiority and, with their mission accomplished, deigns to lock the exchange closed.
This was always an obvious and reductive attempt to smear and dismiss the bad actor's target, never to listen to their arguments.

Total 100% bad-faith engagement.
This is the same standard as Social Media loons screeching "NAZI!" in response to arguments they don't like but are not equipped or willing to address.
It's certainly not a good stunt to try in a topic that is pretending to be about addressing misinformation.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

After repeated attempts to bait someone else and force Nazi labels and references into the conversation...

..the instant the bait is taken the bad actor projects accountability for their phrasing onto their challenger, asserts blame and then tries to assume moral superiority and, with their mission accomplished, deigns to lock the exchange closed.
This was always an obvious and reductive attempt to smear and dismiss the bad actor's target, never to listen to their arguments.

Exactly, which is why I made it a point to never directly state Donald Trump in my posts. I wanted to him to directly deal with the other individuals and groups I mentioned.

He purposely ignored that, and now he has dissapeared from the thread. Bad actors through and through.

Reactions: KiNeMz

Yoda

Jun 17, 2011
So says the outlet that peddled russia-gate for 2 and a half years?

FunkMiller

Aug 14, 2014

This is the same standard as Social Media loons screeching "NAZI!" in response to arguments they don't like but are not equipped or willing to address.
It's certainly not a good stunt to try in a topic that is pretending to be about addressing misinformation.

😂 you’re the most disingenuous poster on this forum. Some dude makes a fatuous comparison and you just have to jump to his defence, simply because he’s on the same side as you. And so we get another rambling diatribe about bad faith and moral superiority, as well as a brand of ad hoc psychological evaluation that would be comedic, if it wasn’t so utterly dripping with desperation to show how clever you think you are.

For one so determined in your own certitude over everything, your username is ironic to say the least.

One wonders what your reaction would have been, had a left winger compared social media bans to Nazi book burning.... somewhat different, eh?

Delighted to pop you on ignore for... oh, the rest of time 👍😂😂

Dec 15, 2011
And so, unable or unwilling to argue against a single thing they quoted, the entire reply is one whole ad-hominem.

If You Say So Shrug GIF

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2020

Derp State is out to get Trump AND his supporters now. These have to be the most persecuted group of people in the history of the world. Gonna be tough to tell my kids about how hard upper-class white males have had it in America.

Reactions: FunkMiller

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
😂 you’re the most disingenuous poster on this forum. Some dude makes a fatuous comparison and you just have to jump to his defence, simply because he’s on the same side as you. And so we get another rambling diatribe about bad faith and moral superiority, as well as a brand of ad hoc psychological evaluation that would be comedic, if it wasn’t so utterly dripping with desperation to show how clever you think you are.

For one so determined in your own certitude over everything, your username is ironic to say the least.

One wonders what your reaction would have been, had a left winger compared social media bans to Nazi book burning.... somewhat different, eh?

Delighted to pop you on ignore for... oh, the rest of time 👍😂😂
What a shock, it's the same old bullshit.

I_D

Dec 22, 2007
That's rich coming from you
Oh man, what a zinger. You really got me there.

oagboghi2 said:
No, I think liberals literally trying to ban, censure and block ideas is like Nazi's burning books.

I'm sure you will make dozen excuses for that, but the rest of us don't have to cheerlead this shit.

Blame liberals all you want, but that doesn't fully cover the actual problem: People censor stuff they don't like hearing.
The Republicans are the kings of this behavior. Christians (which are nearly always Republican) censor stuff basically 24-7. It's funny you specifically mentioned book burning, since that's basically a staple for Christians/Republicans.
"Conservatives" (which isn't even really a behavior anymore) aka Republicans ban stuff far more often than "Liberals" (which is basically everybody in the government) do.

The actual point is that censorship is at an all-time high. It doesn't really matter which party a person is a part of; censorship has never been worse.
We've normalized it at this point. It's so bad that even people like yourself seem to blame one party or the other for censorship regarding a handful of incidents; when, in fact, it's been happening since before either of us were born.

Last edited:

Irobot82

Apr 21, 2012
South Florida
Who determines what is misinformation?

The government?
The media?
The corporations?

We all agree it is an issue. But who gets to be the arbiter of truth? Why aren't we searching more into how these algorithms work instead of trying to ban this generic term misinformation? Why do we trust these corporations when their motive is profit, not our well being? Why do we trust the government when their motive is compliance, not truth.

Reactions: Schrödinger's cat