• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Missouri collegiate Football team starts strike over racism at school

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suspect was apprehended. Classes seem to be on.

Email I got:
Suspect Apprehended

University of Missouri Police have apprehended the suspect who posted threats to campus on YikYak and other social media. The suspect is in MUPD custody and was not located on or near the MU campus at the time of the threat. We will update this website as additional information is confirmed. MU is operating on a regular schedule. Please check here for official information. Safety is the university’s top priority and we are working hard to assure that the campus remains safe while information is obtained and confirmed.

EDIT: Word I've gotten is that ROTC people aren't wearing uniforms today as they've gotten threats too (what with it being Veteran's Day and all I guess)

M52B28

Banned

Email I got:

EDIT: Word I've gotten is that ROTC people aren't wearing uniforms today as they've gotten threats too (what with it being Veteran's Day and all I guess)
Yeah, it's true I think. People are spreading false info, but that seems about right considering what people I talked to have said.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
EDIT: Not worth it.

Just note that there were a crap ton of campus police and news organizations swarming the entire campus and surrounding area for the entire night. Anything that did happen was quickly and easily confirmed.

The person on YikYak was reported to be sending messages from Rolla, which is roughly 100 miles away (and a different state school).

A lot of people are basically saying all the claims of racist actions are all lies because no one has any pictures apparently. So basically "pics or it didn't happen" is being utilized as the widespread counterargument currently.

EDIT: I don't know how you guys do it. Reading this shit for a few hours, and I already feel like giving up. I'm going to take a break from this for awhile.

It's just a bit odd that folks are tweeting that stuff is going on yet not much is getting recorded. One would think in this environment everyone would have their phone ready to go if needed. Everyone wants to nail the guys pulling these stunts, but you have got to record them in the act either through video or a photograph. Unless the victim knows or can identify the perp in a lineup, these transgressions are going to continuously go unpunished, which is exactly what happened in the month leading up to the protests.

Well contrary to what I said last night, I ended up coming to campus. Unsurprisingly, it's pretty dead. It's eerily quiet considering this is a campus of 30,000+. My class of about 100 has around 20-30 present. Things are tense.
It's just a bit odd that folks are tweeting that stuff is going on yet not much is getting recorded. One would think in this environment everyone would have their phone ready to go if needed. Everyone wants to nail the guys pulling these stunts, but you have got to record them in the act either through video or a photograph. Unless the victim knows or can identify the perp in a lineup, these transgressions are going to continuously go unpunished, which is exactly what happened in the month leading up to the protests.
I do think we can be understanding of the fact that many people are probably too scared and don't think to film/photograph in the moment (or feel too intimidated to do it). But at the same time, you do raise an important point, if people want to nail the perps, we'll need something (film/video/whatever) to identify them.
EDIT:
The person on YikYak was reported to be sending messages from Rolla, which is roughly 100 miles away (and a different state school).
Damn, so was it just a student at S&T, or some unaffiliated moron? Unfortunately, Rolla is close enough that it was probably still a credible threat, rather than a far-away troll.

Ultima_5

is #mizzou trending? I saw a decent amount of support and of course blatant racism. My friend still in como says campus is pretty dead

Email I got:

Good, throw the book at him and make an example out of him. Threats like that can't be tolerated anymore.

is #mizzou trending? I saw a decent amount of support and of course blatant racism. My friend still in como says campus is pretty dead
It was trending on Twitter last night when the YikYak threats were flying around. Not quite as much right now. But yes. Campus is indeed disturbingly quiet. I'm headed off now.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Well contrary to what I said last night, I ended up coming to campus. Unsurprisingly, it's pretty dead. It's eerily quiet considering this is a campus of 30,000+. My class of about 100 has around 20-30 present. Things are tense.

I do think we can be understanding of the fact that many people are probably too scared and don't think to film/photograph in the moment (or feel too intimidated to do it). But at the same time, you do raise an important point, if people want to nail the perps, we'll need something (film/video/whatever) to identify them.

Damn, so was it just a student at S&T, or some unaffiliated moron? Unfortunately, Rolla is close enough that it was probably still a credible threat, rather than a far-away troll.

I doubt much was actually done last night that wouldn't have been recorded, MPD and news orgs were out in freaking force. I'm not worried about the next week or so - I'm way more worried about a month from now, when all the national attention has gone elsewhere, but locally, people are still fuming about it and may feel more empowered to do something.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_b2ae21b1-8c81-5afc-8261-a4adb8b14918.html

The University of Missouri police arrested a student in his Rolla dorm room early Wednesday on suspicion of posting threats on social media.

Major Brian Weimer of the campus police at Mizzou identified the suspect as Hunter M. Park, 19. Park is a computer science student on the Rolla campus and from Lake Saint Louis.

Police found no weapons during the Rolla arrest.

studyguy

I think it mostly resides in /r/videos, most men's rights douchebags like to use it as a platform, and the racists were out in full force for Trayvon and Ferguson. I honestly think that if 2 X Chromosomes was not a default sub, reddit would have been called out for being a racist and misogynist echo chamber.

Reddit as of late with anything relating to race issues can generally be summed up as most votes goes to whoever makes the South Park reference first. I get people latch on to parodies of real life, but nothing is ever as black and white and lacking nuance as a comedy show in reality. All the default subs are generally full of awful people brigading awful opinions. /r/news is always extremely evident of the trend when race issue threads get thousands more comments than a general news bit, even without hitting frontpage.

But that's generally social media without oversight today so whatev.

From Twitter:

CTiiWKpUEAE-gjt.jpg

RoKKeR

Just got passed the story about the student journalist being blocked from covering what was happening on campus, and the corresponding video. Extremely disappointing and upsetting to see, especially as someone who works in photo-journalism. Thought the Atlantic put it best:

This behavior is a kind of safe-baiting: using intimidation or initiating physical aggression to violate someone’s rights, then acting like your target is making you unsafe.

The demonization of the word "media" is tiring. Yes the media is twisted, but this is a journalism student exercising a First Amendment right, and this is how he's treated. Ugh.

Sorry if this is LTTP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRlRAyulN4o - Video for those interested. Is there a thread about this?

params7

Banned
Any reports of KKK being on campus is 4chan trolling, btw. They're framing Sam Hyde (youtube comedian filming on campus) as a neo-Nazi member.

Slayven

Re: the people harassing the photographer - one of the lessons people forget is that while MLK and Gandhi were non-violent for personal, ethical reasons, the reason this was effective was not because of the admiration we in the modern era feel for that philosophy, but because it ensured there could be no ammunition they would give to those who opposed them.

In general, the slapdash nature of modern progressive activism seems to me a primary reason why it lacks the efficacy and dignity of the 1960s. They're not wrong, but without charismatic and calculating coordinators, there's no real focus, and you get nonsense like that mucking up the works.
and they still killed MLK

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The rumor right now is that he canceled the exam and resigned.

Which is a bit of a shame because Dale was a damn good teacher, something we don't have enough of on this campus. He should have handled things differently last night.

This is what I've seen

http://www.barstoolsports.com/barst...red-to-cancel-an-exam-due-to-campus-tensions/

Also - based on that article as well as the Washington Post article

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-students-to-defeat-bullies-and-attend-class/

It appears that the linked picture of an e-mail may have some words photoshopped in; or is not at least the message he had sent everyone else.

A white professor, however, challenged his students to come to class, to prevent the “bullies” from winning:

“If you don’t feel safe coming to class, then don’t come to class,” Dale Brigham wrote in an e-mail to his Nutritional Science 1034 class. “I will be there, and there will be an exam administered in our class.

“If you give into bullies, they win. The only way bullies are defeated is by standing up to them. If we cancel the exam, they win; if we go through with it, they lose.

“I know which side I am on,” Brigham said in the e-mail. “You make your own choice.”

Holy hell, I had no idea this went from what was happening to threats to shoot up black people.

As suspected. With the internet, you can't believe much of anything.

I am pretty sure we have a few confirmed instances of people posting warnings online before shootings happened.

Lord Fagan

The rumor right now is that he canceled the exam and resigned.

Which is a bit of a shame because Dale was a damn good teacher, something we don't have enough of on this campus. He should have handled things differently last night.

Been hearing a lot of stories all around town like this. I know a lot of people locally who just want this all to go away, people who just live in Como and this is all tangential to their life working here, but I know that quiet complacence is at the core of a lot of this frustration. I respect the right to protest, but professors need to keep in mind their students pay literally thousands of dollars for just a few months of school. This kind of condescension isn't winning hearts and minds or fulfilling their responsibilities as faculty.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Holy hell, I had no idea this went from what was happening to threats to shoot up black people.

I am pretty sure we have a few confirmed instances of people posting warnings online before shootings happened.

Remember that the Oregon shooting "warning" was confirmed to be a hoax.

There was a single threat on YikYak - and the man who made that threat was arrested 100 miles away on a different college campus early this morning. Outside of that, there was a reported call into the Black Student Center that the police were aware of and deemed "threatening"; but outside of that, with a massive police presence and news presence at the university looking for stories, nothing has actually been confirmed.

What did happen was that the student body president tweeted out that the "KKK was confirmed on campus" - but then a little bit later retracted the statement; but after most of campus had heard and was officially in "oh shit" mode. Everyone's saying someone else heard it and is repeating it.

I believe M5 was referring to the e-mail image that was posted versus what the Washington Post reported as the e-mail. Either there were multiple, different e-mails sent (and WaPo has not been told of it) or someone changed the text of the e-mail to add the coward bit. It seems that the photo circulating of the "email" in this thread was a photoshop of the actual email.

M52B28

Banned

Well, yes, that's reasonable and law enforcement will take that seriously and investigate, but for something like making a screen grab and photoshopping text that wasn't in before, it makes sense to be weary.

Been hearing a lot of stories all around town like this. I know a lot of people locally who just want this all to go away, people who just live in Como and this is all tangential to their life working here, but I know that quiet complacence is at the core of a lot of this frustration. I respect the right to protest, but professors need to keep in mind their students pay literally thousands of dollars for just a few months of school. This kind of condescension isn't winning hearts and minds or fulfilling their responsibilities as faculty.
Considering Thanksgiving break is coming up and we get a full week off, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

In regards to the exam, I think he should have just held it, offered a makeup time and avoided any preaching about bullies and bravery. One of my professors sent three emails in from 9PM last night to 9AM today confirming we were having class but being understanding of those who didn't want to come. Better approach. Personally I ended up going because I felt safe enough and I wanted to go to class to actually set my mind at ease.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
A lot of people are basically saying all the claims of racist actions are all lies because no one has any pictures apparently. So basically "pics or it didn't happen" is being utilized as the widespread counterargument currently.

While of course absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, you have to admit it would be strange in 2015 if all these things were happening and nobody took a picture or video of anything. A vine of the KKK chanting white power by the columns would go a long way towards helping the cause, and if somebody saw it happen, the odds that that person on a college campus did not have a smartphone would be pretty low. I read yesterday that there is no known extant picture of the feces swastika. That would be really strange if true (although it doesn't mean it didn't exist).

"Hate speech" is a concept created by the Frankfurt school of Marxism to undermine Christian values as a way to destabilize the West...

This is mostly true, except for the part about Christian values per se. See "Repressive Tolerance" by Herbert Marcuse. (Obviously in-depth discussion of this topic is beyond the scope of this thread.)

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
which is photoshopped?

No one can confirm that the e-mail being posted in this thread is one he sent - there is a similar one that the WaPo showed and that he confirmed sending. If he did send that e-mail; I'm surprised no news outlet has caught up on it, seeing as the identifying information on who to contact would be pretty easy to get. (look for a kid named Ben in his class)

Hence my reasonable suspicion that the words might have been modified digitally or taken out of context (notice you don't see the student's initial e-mail either).

M52B28

Banned
which is photoshopped?
I'm not exactly implying that anything is photoshopped in specific. I'm generally stating that things like screen grabs can easily be altered, as I was wondering if the grab that had the professors E-mail in it was real or not.

We still don't know. We just have to see when the dust settles.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Guy who was posting threats supposedly posted bail. Wonder if he was really the only one doing it.

They reportedly traced the multiple accounts that were posting threats back to him.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...er-social-media-threats-of-violence/75559034/

MU Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin said on Twitter that the suspect had used "multiple accounts" to threaten students. "He was never physically near the campus," the chancellor said.

Indicate

No one can confirm that the e-mail being posted in this thread is one he sent - there is a similar one that the WaPo showed and that he confirmed sending. If he did send that e-mail; I'm surprised no news outlet has caught up on it, seeing as the identifying information on who to contact would be pretty easy to get. (look for a kid named Ben in his class)

Hence my reasonable suspicion that the words might have been modified digitally or taken out of context (notice you don't see the student's initial e-mail either).

Well this was Ben's email to the prof he posted before receiving the response

Captain Africa ‏@See_Say_92 17h
CTgBEsQUsAAz5Ux.jpg:small

I really doubt it was photoshopped. Given the amount of students inquiring to the prof, the prof likely copied some of his original message and altered them accordingly to the person he was responding to.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Aside: I'm glad the media prof in the video didn't get fully fired (just stepped down from a j-school courtesy appointment). Not a big fan of one public fuck up = entire life's worth of work down the drain.

Infinite

Well, he was assassinated because he had converted to mainstream Islam, visited Mecca and seen individuals of every race interacting in harmony, and basically left the Nation of Islam behind.
That's not why he was assassinated. The only thing that's clear is that he fell out with the NOI presumably over the scandals surrounding the organization. It's unclear if they were responsible for his assassination.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
That's not why he was assassinated. The only thing that's clear is that he fell out with the NOI presumably over the scandals surrounding the organization. It's unclear if they were responsible for his assassination.

Uhhh...

You do know 3 NOI members were convicted of assassinating him?

Throughout 1964, as his conflict with the Nation of Islam intensified, Malcolm X was repeatedly threatened.

In February a leader of Temple Number Seven ordered the bombing of Malcolm X's car.In March, Muhammad told Boston minister Louis X (later known as Louis Farrakhan) that "hypocrites like Malcolm should have their heads cut off"; the April 10 edition of Muhammad Speaks featured a cartoon depicting Malcolm X's bouncing, severed head.

On June 8, FBI surveillance recorded a telephone call in which Betty Shabazz was told that her husband was "as good as dead." Four days later, an FBI informant received a tip that "Malcolm X is going to be bumped off." (That same month the Nation sued to reclaim Malcolm X's residence in East Elmhurst, Queens, New York. His family was ordered to vacate but on February 14, 1965—​the night before a hearing on postponing the eviction—​the house was destroyed by fire.)

On July 9 Muhammad aide John Ali (suspected of being an undercover FBI agent) referred to Malcolm X by saying, "Anyone who opposes the Honorable Elijah Muhammad puts their life in jeopardy." In the December 4 issue of Muhammad Speaks, Louis X wrote that "such a man as Malcolm is worthy of death."

The September 1964 issue of Ebony dramatized Malcolm X's defiance of these threats by publishing a photograph of him holding a rifle while peering out a window.

Which led to

One gunman, Nation of Islam member Talmadge Hayer (also known as Thomas Hagan), was beaten by the crowd before police arrived; witnesses identified the others as Nation members Norman 3X Butler and Thomas 15X Johnson. All three were convicted of murder in March 1966 and sentenced to life in prison. At trial Hayer confessed, but refused to identify the other assailants except to assert that they were not Butler and Johnson. In 1977 and 1978, he signed affidavits reasserting Butler's and Johnson's innocence, naming four other Nation members as participants in the murder or its planning. These affidavits did not result in the case being reopened.

As for Farrakhan...

In a 1993 speech Farrakhan seemed to acknowledge the possibility that the Nation of Islam was responsible:

Was Malcolm your traitor or ours? And if we dealt with him like a nation deals with a traitor, what the hell business is it of yours? A nation has to be able to deal with traitors and cutthroats and turncoats.

In a 60 Minutes interview that aired during May 2000, Farrakhan stated that some things he said may have led to the assassination of Malcolm X. "I may have been complicit in words that I spoke", he said. "I acknowledge that and regret that any word that I have said caused the loss of life of a human being." A few days later Farrakhan denied that he "ordered the assassination" of Malcolm X, although he again acknowledged that he "created the atmosphere that ultimately led to Malcolm X's assassination."

It is pretty well established that the NOI killed Malcolm X.

devilhawk

Don't blame the guy for resigning. Who would want to teach there?

Meanwhile you have a student body president blatantly lying and trying to start violence and faculty assaulting a photographer with practically no consequences.

But MU students got that nearly unanimously lauded nutritional professor! They got him good!

Ri'Orius

Well this was Ben's email to the prof he posted before receiving the response

I really doubt it was photoshopped. Given the amount of students inquiring to the prof, the prof likely copied some of his original message and altered them accordingly to the person he was responding to.

...yeah, I'm going to have to side with the prof on this one. Feeding the hysteria over an anonymous internet comment and a frenzy of rumors doesn't help the situation. The professor said that people who stayed home could make up the exam, but he was trying to go against the panic by encouraging people to come anyway.

His wording was maybe a touch too harsh, but when he's replying to someone as acerbic as this student, I really don't blame him one but.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Meanwhile you have a student body president blatantly lying and trying to start violence and faculty assaulting a photographer with practically no consequences.

But MU students got that nearly unanimously lauded nutritional professor! They got him good!

Bet you no one updates their news posts about the situation with that email.

EDIT: Assuming it is legit.

That email is disgusting. Frankly, far and away worse than anything Dale wrote.

If someone really used their internet "fame" to spread his email around, ugh. I mean, no wonder he snapped and started writing even harsher emails. He was getting bombarded by lowlifes like that. Doesn't excuse him really, but at least it explains it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom