• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker announces Terra Battle 2 (Mobile/PC, Silicon Studio) & Terra Wars (Arzest)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There's a new thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1395339

For reference, Terra Wars is also mobile, and coming this year:

Mistwalker's "Terra" Universe Expands - Terra Battle 2 and Terra Wars Coming Soon

HONOLULU - June 21, 2017 - PRLog -- MISTWALKER'S "TERRA" UNIVERSE EXPANDS

Terra Battle 2 and Terra Wars Coming Soon

HONOLULU, HAWAII, June 21st - Mistwalker, a premiere game studio founded by Hironobu Sakaguchi, is thrilled to announce two new games to the "Terra" universe, Terra Battle 2 (iOS, Android, and PC) and Terra Wars (iOS, Android, and PC) to be released later this year.

▼ About TERRA BATTLE 2

Terra Battle 2 brings a completely different game-play experience, while preserving the highly-praised core battle mechanics in a fantastic epic RPG.

The new world map lets players travel alongside their companions and allows for more strategic gameplay as you set up your formation before entering a battle. The countless encounters and farewells throughout the course of your heroes' journey promise to be even more emotional and intense than ever before.

How will the people who live on "Terra" unravel the truths and mysteries of their planet? An epic fantasy RPG awaits you.

● Title: Terra Battle 2
● Platforms: Mobile (iOS, Android) / PC (Windows)
● Price: Free-to-Play (with In-App Purchases)
● Release Date: Summer 2017
● Regions: Japan, North America
● Copyright: ©MISTWALKER/Silicon Studio Corp.
● Developers
 ・ Producer: Hironobu Sakaguchi (Mistwalker)
 ・ Music: Nobuo Uematsu (Dog Ear Records)
 ・ Lead Character Desinger: Kimihiko Fujisaka (Mistwalker)
 ・ Developer: Silicon Studio

To accompany the announcement, Mistwalker also today released an official trailer for the game. https://youtu.be/6mdqzFt5rSg

extralite

They're showing gameplay for TB2 on the Famitsu stream right now. It retains the battle style from the first game but you move your party on a larger map which can also be zoomed.

http://live2.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv2...e2=c612c1bdefa2efafe5618f4b916c0a35b5d65251&=

When you attack enemies, it switches to a smaller grid like in the first game. Your allies in range will join the battle.

It looks really great. I was worried they'd do a more orthodox battle system from the early descriptions but they are actually building on the innovative system of the first game and really expand it in meaningful ways. Basically, they added exploration.

The UI looks so clean and sharp.
Really hyped for this.
RzdAso7.png

and they got a Friend's List now, which most people outside of TB are used to.

Hmmm, original game had some good ideas, but the slow drip story and repetitive gameplay killed my interest after 8 hours or so.

The world map and having a persistent core cast raises my interest a good deal. I'm still inclined to at least try something new by Sakaguchi, but have trouble getting into mobile games.

duckroll

So it seems pre-registration for Terra Battle 2 starts on Aug 3. They are planning on launching by the end of Summer, so we can probably expect it in Aug/Sep. Pretty soon!

They said they'll talk about Terra Wars more after Terra Battle 2 is released, so maybe a Dec release?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I don't like how many equipment/companion slots there are. It just smells dangerous for hard content and whaling.

duckroll

I don't like how many equipment/companion slots there are. It just smells dangerous for hard content and whaling.

Sadly this is definitely the case. With the original TB, the way they did character gacha made it basically the anti-whale since there was a hard cap on how much you can even whale. Then they added "companions" and we all see how that went. This seems like them tripling down on the companion idea while dropping character gacha entirely. Definitely makes me way less likely to have an urge to pull stuff. I'll probably still drop them cash as long as the game is good and fun, but the thrill of being able to pull cool rare characters is just not going to be there. Pulling a rare weapon or "guardian" (whatever they are calling it) attachment just doesn't have the same appeal imo.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So it seems pre-registration for Terra Battle 2 starts on Aug 3. They are planning on launching by the end of Summer, so we can probably expect it in Aug/Sep. Pretty soon!

They said they'll talk about Terra Wars more after Terra Battle 2 is released, so maybe a Dec release?

Thanks!

That's the info I wanted to know aka release time frame.

Arabesque

Glad to hear it's coming soon-ish.

Sadly this is definitely the case. With the original TB, the way they did character gacha made it basically the anti-whale since there was a hard cap on how much you can even whale. Then they added "companions" and we all see how that went. This seems like them tripling down on the companion idea while dropping character gacha entirely. Definitely makes me way less likely to have an urge to pull stuff. I'll probably still drop them cash as long as the game is good and fun, but the thrill of being able to pull cool rare characters is just not going to be there. Pulling a rare weapon or "guardian" (whatever they are calling it) attachment just doesn't have the same appeal imo.

If the weapons or guardians have some cool lore/story attached to them, or they manage to implement a way to give them significance to the plot, I could see myself being motivated enough to pull for them. What I found myself doing even when I am playing TB1 is that while I think some characters look cool to pay to pull during their banner, the lack of any sort in-story engagement makes me go meh on most of the rest of the units. It's sort of why I am looking forward to having the story release apparently being year long, since it will keep me engaged with the game longer that way.

Of course, if the weapon/guardian gacha idea doesn't work out, they still have 7 or so Terra Battles to try something new with later on down the road.

duckroll

I'm definitely disappointed by the lack of animated battle portraits. We were supposed to get them TB1!

Ha ha ha ha ha. I was just joking with Nirolak about this the other day. That's by far the worst idea they put in the Download Starter. Worse than the "console version" goal. Because surely they should have realized how much extra work it was for the characters they had. With TB2 I was hoping they would have 3D assets to make that easier, but it doesn't look like the case. So the only animated TB game we will be seeing in the future is Terra Wars.

Just a personal opinion but I am disappointed with the lack of console RPGs from Sakaguchi.I really enjoyed Lost Odyssey, the Last Story, and Blue Dragon and seeing him focus only on these low budget mobile games that lack his traditional story-telling makes me sad the same way SE does with their mobile games.
At least he is happy with the new audience he is building so good luck on their new efforts and I hope we get to see one more classic RPG from him in the future.

Just a personal opinion but I am disappointed with the lack of console RPGs from Sakaguchi.I really enjoyed Lost Odyssey, the Last Story, and Blue Dragon and seeing him focus only on these low budget mobile games that lack his traditional story-telling makes me sad the same way SE does with their mobile games.
At least he is happy with the new audience he is building so good luck on their new efforts and I hope we get to see one more classic RPG from him in the future.

Sakaguchi's current situation is probably the saddest thing in gaming for me. He is so talented and has made such good games for literally 30 years. Can anyone else even say that? Most people directing great games in the 80's are not anymore. He even continues to do so despite such meager resources to work with. And yet, he can't get a good budget. He should be leading his own team on big budget console RPGs.

Sakaguchi's current situation is probably the saddest thing in gaming for me. He is so talented and has made such good games for literally 30 years. Can anyone else even say that? Most people directing great games in the 80's are not anymore. He even continues to do so despite such meager resources to work with. And yet, he can't get a good budget. He should be leading his own team on big budget console RPGs.
If only Sony could get him to make an exclusive game like they did with Kojima that would be awesome, Kojima and Sakaguchi with Playstation's full resources/expertise/studios. We can still dream :)

Kain

Terra Battle's campaign is a lot of fun and the art and music are amazing, sadly it becomes a grindfest after a while, but I'm down for a new campaign and more Uematsu goodness.

And Matsuno's world lol

Visceir

I'm definitely disappointed by the lack of animated battle portraits. We were supposed to get them TB1!

Don't really care about battle animations, but I really wish they would have managed to do a more fleshed out world to explore rather than that basic map we see. They want to create a world and franchise, but having just background pictures for battles/dialogue won't cut it.

Mobile rpgs have gotten more elaborate since TB1 launched, but TB2 feels the same old.

I get why they are doing this -- low risk, high reward but I think it's the wrong step to take if he actually wants 'Terra' as a franchise to get bigger.

Matsuno's 'Lost Order' is my only hope now :eek:

With TB2 I was hoping they would have 3D assets to make that easier, but it doesn't look like the case. So the only animated TB game we will be seeing in the future is Terra Wars.
3D would've looked so bad with the 2D aesthetics they got going.
I'm really glad they kept it simple for the sequel also.

Besides, wouldn't animated battle portraits be instantly skipped and impossible to notice right after a pincer attack animation ?

Terra Wars will probably be the more "rpg" 3D setting some people want.

chrono01

I started Terra Battle a little over a week ago, just to play through the story...but after watching the stream for Terra Battle 2, I'll probably wait and just play this one. I don't want to burn myself out on the gameplay just yet, an TB2 looks to offer everything TB1 has, as well as so much more (friends, equipment, that world map, moving enemies, etc.). Seriously great stuff.

I know I'd be missing out on the story from the original, but I could always read that online. They did state that TB2 was coming "Summer 2017", so it should be released in the next couple of months, which is sooner than I would have thought. Given the progress in the stream though, as well as them only releasing one chapter per week, I can see how such a thing could be possible though, assuming the base mechanics are in-place.

This, along with Fate/GO? Man, goodbye free time.

DragonQuarter

Neo Member
Terra Battle's one of the only few mobile games that made me go "huh, I actually enjoy playing this more than once!" Never got very far in it, though. I'm all for a number 2.

That reminds me, I really need to play through Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon.

I wonder if I can finally drop Record Keeper before this comes out. I'm so close, but I still can't do it do it.

I can manage two gacha games at once and I'm not giving up Mobius.

Yea, it's a shame. I always hoped to get another console RPG from him. Lost Odyssey and Last Story were both excellent and shows he still has what it takes. Hopefully someone will give him a chance at some point, if that's what he truly wants.

Top Bottom