• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker announces Terra Battle 2 (Mobile/PC, Silicon Studio) & Terra Wars (Arzest)

Not exactly what I was hoping for. If that's what the man wants to make in his retirement, then good on him, and for anyone that likes mobile f2p games. As for me, I'll just continue to remember The Last Story as his final game, and move on to the other options out there. If he happens to come back one more time for a console RPG, I'll be there then.

Pejo

Would rather see a Gooch's rap game like Parappa than more Terra Battle. I tried the game 5-6 separate times but just couldn't get into the gameplay. Art was on point though.

Not surprised, but still disappointed that there's not some sort of console or traditional RPG.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I played Terra Battle for a couple months, spent money on it, and then uninstalled it sometime after.

The music is worth checking out and the gameplay is fun. The quality is fantastic, but I put it down for other games.

I spent close to $30 on energy and getting more characters. I'm excited to see how TB2 turns out.

I really enjoy Mistwalker's artsyle and worlds. It's just I had my feel of the game. I'd install Terra Battle again, but I feel like I'd grind and grind until I'd stop completely when the sequel comes out.

I feel like it's even harder with mobile games when they get a sequel. Especially with F2P games. It's so easy to hop onto the sequel because it's a fresh start.

I still play Blade Guardian from time to time and that's no longer available on the App Store.

Galang

Banned
Nintendo, you've been listening to fans a lot lately. Give this man money and resources to make Last Story 2 and remaster LS1 while you're at it.

Are many Nintendo fans even asking for this? I feel like the game got overshadowed by Xenoblade big time. It sucks because I enjoyed TLS just as much, if not more and I hope one day we'll see a sequel.

It's mobile.

The trademark is allowed on handheld computers as well, but it would have to be eShop-exclusive (normal 3DS games list "video game cartridges" too).

Meh, so for me, this is basically a whole lotta nunthing. I really should learn to lower my expectations whenever Gooch promises a new game, but I like Gooch and despite not being the best, enjoyed ALL his post-Square console RPGs. And before someone says, "Just play the mobile games!", like MMOPRGs, I don't play mobile. Just my standard.

Artoon are the Blue Dragon guys right ?

Kinda. Most of the same key people moved across to Arzest after AQ Interactive absorbed Artoon. It's mostly former SEGA Japan devs (most from Wow Entertainment some of whom made the likes of the Shinobi series and some devs who made Panzer Dragoon) that originally formed Artoon then.

anaron

YESSSSSSS

lol @ anyone not playing this amazing game

This game has accumalated just about every legendary squaresoft person to some degree

Pyrrhus

No, it existed in Terra Battle.

Shame you had to be endgame leveled to even survive it to get those static pictures and single screen text boxes to move the story along. Otherwise, yeah, totally the equivalent of a console RPG, right?

I'm happy they've found a niche that lets them survive but Sakaguchi is wasting his talent and the final years of his career on projects this small. Last Story, Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey proved that he still could make the sort of jRPGs that made me fall in love with the genre. Terra Battle is nice for what it is, but it isn't even close to the sort of thing that made his name.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Arzest? That's weird since I thought Takuya Matsumoto didn't make the jump with them from the Marvelous merger. I guess this could be a Masahide Kobayashi game? He was the director of Away: Shuffle Dungeon.

Anyway, don't really expect it to be good, just curious about who could be involved.

Ray Down

Banned
Shame you had to be endgame leveled to even survive it to get those static pictures and single screen text boxes to move the story along. Otherwise, yeah, totally the equivalent of a console RPG, right?

I'm happy they've found a niche that lets them survive but Sakaguchi is wasting his talent and the final years of his career on projects this small. Last Story, Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey proved that he still could make the sort of jRPGs that made me fall in love with the genre. Terra Battle is nice for what it is, but it isn't even close to the sort of thing that made his name.

None of these games were exactly big, so no one is going to invest in Guchi.

Arabesque

Well, I was wrong to think this wouldn't be TB2

- Terra Battle 1 will not be terminated to make way for Terra Battle 2. They will support both games for the time being. There is a big Terra Battle update planned for June.

This is the news I am most glad about, since I am still playing through TB1 haha

I do wonder if that means that they aren't that worried about TB1 eating into the user base for TB2, or they feel that TB2 being newer will mean more people will check it as opposed to staying with the first game.

- Terra Battle 2 will be released this year. For the scenario Sakaguchi said he thinks it'll be about 50 chapters long this time, but instead of having it all out at once, he wants to release one chapter every Friday like a television series.

- Characters will not have a growth element this time round, but instead the growth elements will be in accessories and guardians you equip on them. Basically they want to separate the characters from the gacha elements, which will be in equipment.

I'm not sure how to take the change to the unit management until I play it (it sounds cool), but I do hope this change to the story will make it better than how it was in TB1 mean there will be more usage of the cast and characters in-story, and that taking a more serialised route for how the main storyline unfolds will make it more engaging.

- The other game they are working on is Terra Wars, and it is a game where the Terra Battle characters are transformed into claymation models of sorts. The gameplay will be what the title suggests, but they have nothing to share at the moment until Terra Battle 2 is out.

That sounds kind of creative and cool, at least on the aesthetics alone if nothing else. Really hope to see how well it looks.

• Gooch has big plans for Terra World - he wants to extend it until he eventually retires, wants to make 9 titles in this universe, like FF I guess (oh god, and it's the least good Mistwalker universe too)

I suppose that means he won't retire for a long while then, given the rate the titles in the series are coming out.

Nice to know he's in this for the long haul.

How's Terra Battle 1?

As someone who came in sort of late into it, and had been on-off with playing it, it's pretty cool and fun. The gameplay is really the games strongest point, and the music and art is also pretty nice.

If I had any criticism, it would be that the main story, while interesting enough, is somewhat lacking from what I read thus far. Also, most of the cast doesn't really have much to do with the main plot and anything related to them is found scattered in their profiles.

Also, Terra Battle anime when ?

First, someone at Mistwalker needs to get in touch with someone over at Amazon/Netflix/Crunchryroll.

(Maybe TB2 will have a good scenario to use too)

vareon

Terra Battle was really fun, but they didn't bother releasing it in my region so my interest quickly dwindled back then. Now that I have a lot of way to play maybe I'll try it.

IzzyF3

Are many Nintendo fans even asking for this? I feel like the game got overshadowed by Xenoblade big time. It sucks because I enjoyed TLS just as much, if not more and I hope one day we'll see a sequel.

Unfortunately, I would have to agree with you. I'm almost angry at Xenoblade for stealing so much of LS's thunder. JRPGs these days tends to take so many design concepts from MMOs that a lot of it is just fluff. LS dared to go the other way and with a constantly engaging story and extremely tight gameplay with no noticeable grind.

chrono01

Heh, what a coincidence. I just started Terra Battle on my phone again this morning, after quitting several months back, in-preparation of the Yoko Taro story chapter we're apparently getting. It was always a fun game, definitely different among all of the other puzzle gatcha games I've played in the past, but I just lost interest for one reason or another (can't remember why).

Nice to hear about Terra Battle 2, though. I'll check it out once it's released!

Astral Dog

Very good news for Terra Battle fans
Nintendo, you've been listening to fans a lot lately. Give this man money and resources to make Last Story 2 and remaster LS1 while you're at it.

I loved Terra Battle when it was simple, then the game over complicated things by adding panels that damage you and all that. Just made it less fun and more frustrating IMO. I was crazy addicted to the game for awhile though.

Disappointed that it's not a big JRPG, but this man is a storyteller, so I'm holding out hope he has something else up his sleeves.
Wait, you didn't hear?
Xenoblade 2 coming this year! On Switch! With designs of acclaimed designer Tetsuya Nomura!

But we already have Terra Wars.

73395_front.jpg

duckroll

Some minor updates:

- Terra Battle 2's soundtrack will feature about 20 brand new tracks composed by Uematsu.
- Looks like you can equip 4 companions on a character.
- Apparently it looks more like a traditional consumer game SRPG now. Will have to wait for scans to show up to know what that means.

- Terra Wars' claymation graphics will be achieved using photoframes rather than 3D models. For a single character, a full 8 directional view requires about 2000 frames.

I wonder if they're literally making clay models and photographing them, or if they're using pre-rendering like the good old days.

Raitaro

Man, I so want the Gooch to direct a new console RPG but it's just never going to happen :-(

I have to wonder if the man is aware of how many hearts (of his oldest western fans no less) he is breaking since his move to mobile exclusives, or if he even cares.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Some minor updates:

- Terra Battle 2's soundtrack will feature about 20 brand new tracks composed by Uematsu.
- Looks like you can equip 4 companions on a character.
- Apparently it looks more like a traditional consumer game SRPG now. Will have to wait for scans to show up to know what that means.

- Terra Wars' claymation graphics will be achieved using photoframes rather than 3D models. For a single character, a full 8 directional view requires about 2000 frames.

I wonder if they're literally making clay models and photographing them, or if they're using pre-rendering like the good old days.
It sounds like a photogrammetry rig for the clay models, which suggests they're making physical clay models.

Top Bottom