• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker(R&D on a Prototype since FF7)

cosmicblizzard said:
They should just combine the team with Monolith. It would be the closest we'd ever get to "old Square".

Aren't half of Brownie Brown and Pokemon Sonority made up of old Square employers?

vectorman06 said:
Aren't half of Brownie Brown and Pokemon Sonority made up of old Square employers?

Genius Sonority (unless that was a joke :p), and don't forget that AlphaDream (M&LRPG) is primarily made up of the original Mario RPG team IIRC.

Pennywise

duckroll said:
Okay, I want and expect an honest answer from all of you. How many of you actually know what Mistwalker does, and care about their output because of Mistwalker? How many of you only care to find out if indeed it is another <insert system here> game being published, regardless of content or detail? How many of you are just waiting for Sakaguchi to announce his retirement on his blog, while closing Mistwalker down?

I'm in the last category. Hopefully that day will come soon.
Actually i care :)

Well i know they are doing a Iphone Game :p
Nah i mean there are 3 projects in development , one of them is a major title for them being announced this spring.
Another one with no informations so far and like i said the iphone game.
Since i love J-RPGs and Mistwalker made the only one beside ToV from Namco that satisfied me well enough , i look forward to the major title announcement.
For the unknown title im expecting another DS game but who knows there are no informations given.
About the Major title announcement there are many speculation factors like the Wii Dev Kit.
Or the new date in spring for the announcement where usually the MS spring conference takes place.

Anyway im hyped :>
Sakaguchi will bring us something nice , hopefully with more balanced emotions and no kids around.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
I care because I'm expecting a true successor to the Final Fantasy series.

They stopped at FFIX, as far as I'm concerned. Everything since has been a huge deviation to the gameplay style, narrative themes and iconography of the series.

robor

That and we're talking about the man behind FFIV, which is still my fav rpg til this day. The desire to see him phased out this industry is some kind of sick perverted obsession which hardly validates or justifies his "mishaps" that he's made in the past (which is entirely subjective).

Kishgal

Banned
Cataferal said:
I care because I'm expecting a true successor to the Final Fantasy series.
Mistwalker already made FF5-2 in Blue Dragon, which was really excellent to me. It's too bad Sakaguchi is now seemingly obsessed with creating something new and unique on the DS, and almost all of those attempts have been either mediocre or flat-out bad.

robor said:
That and we're talking about the man behind FFIV, which is still my fav rpg til this day. The desire to see him phased out this industry is some kind of sick perverted obsession which hardly validates or justifies his "mishaps" that he's made in the past (which is entirely subjective).
I've always thought of Takashi Tokita as the "man behind FF4." And he just made a new FF sidestory for DS.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
clashfan said:
Sakaguchi's a 360 fanboy.

No, no, no, no, no...

There aren't enough facepalms for this one seriously.

He wanted to separate himself from his former company which was Sony centric to start with, and considering he couldn't fund game development himself having MS pay for the development of Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey is kind of the only way he was able to make games of that scope with his brand new studio.

If Sony or Nintendo were offering to fully publish games for a brand new studio, without forcing that studio to be absorbed, things could have been very different (in fact /gasp look at ASH scenario)

Kishgal said:
Mistwalker already made FF5-2 in Blue Dragon, which was really excellent to me. It's too bad Sakaguchi is now seemingly obsessed with creating something new and unique on the DS, and almost all of those attempts have been either mediocre or flat-out bad.

I've always thought of Takashi Tokita as the "man behind FF4." And he just made a new FF sidestory for DS.

After Sakaguchi left every element of Final Fantasy disappeared from the mainline series (XII is the first title without his involvement) and his involvement can be felt.

On that note, I have always been curious if Gaiden is more SNES or NES era FF (With it being old-school throwback), if it is NES era then I won't bother because SNES era would be much preferred.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Maybe Sakaguchi = duckroll. Would explain a TON.

Damn, Sakaguchi is such a dick.
Just kidding duckroll don't hurt me D:

Btw, if nothing else I'd like to see this game on the Wii based on his comments about interacting with the environment and such. Deviating from the norm can only be good.

TheOddOne

Report: "Large Scale RPG" Being Made For Microsoft Xbox 360''
While the isn't exactly setting Japanese retail on fire, Microsoft Game Studios has made a valiant effort to release Japanese-style role playing games like Blue Dragon.

That doesn't look to be stopping.

In a classified listing on Japanese language job site DODA, Tokyo-based developer feelplus Inc., a subsidiary of AQ Interactive, announced that from henceforth it is working on a "large scale RPG for Microsoft". The AQ Interactive job listing is for "Game Designer [3D motion, etc]" — though not necessarily for the Microsoft title.

Feelplus previously worked with Mistwalker on the Xbox 360 role playing game Lost Odyssey (pictured), Blue Dragon Plus and Ninety-Nine Nights II.
Doubt it has to do with Mistwalker though.

[Nintex]

Well, MS probably won't fund this game. They've got Final Fantasy XIII and other games now, so they don't need Sakaguchi for Dragon Quest Blue Dragon or Final Fantasy Lost Odyssey. Just look at how they've handled their other 'first party' development so far.

[Nintex] said:
Well, MS probably won't fund this game. They've got Final Fantasy XIII and other games now, so they don't need Sakaguchi for Dragon Quest Blue Dragon or Final Fantasy Lost Odyssey. Just look at how they've handled their other 'first party' development so far.

You know, I don't really understand this. Wasn't MS's RPG push mainly for Japan so thy could have a presence there? But FF XIII isn't on the 360 in Japan. So they'd need more games unless they've given up.

I hope whatever they come up with has an exciting battle system. The encounters in Lost Odyssey put me to sleep and the magic wasn't flashy enough. Also, no god damn kids. They manage to sour every jRPG they've ever been in.

duckroll

Bel Marduk said:
You know, I don't really understand this. Wasn't MS's RPG push mainly for Japan so thy could have a presence there? But FF XIII isn't on the 360 in Japan. So they'd need more games unless they've given up.

They've given up.

PSGames

duckroll said:
I dunno about you, but I get lots of new RPGs. :p

Mistwalker closing down would mean Sakaguchi gets to spend more time with his daughter. Never a bad thing! :)

I would prefer to see him go out with a bang. Considering all his past accomplishments he deserves more respect.

Lost Odyssey is still my favorite RPG this gen so not seeing a sequel would be just :-(

duckroll

PSGames said:
I would prefer to see him go out with a bang.

He did.

51MZE8DRVHL._SS500_.jpg

FafaFooey

robor said:
I consider Tokita-san just as accountable for FFIV as Sakaguchi-san.

We get it. You love Japan. Stop using "-san".

Anyway, I really hope Mistwalker will still make a new RPG for the 360. I can see why a lot of people didn't fall in love with Lost Odyssey (I liked it though), but I really don't get all the Blue Dragon hate. Sure, it's easy, but I loved every aspect of it. To this day, I still despise how every single review gave it a low score because "it does nothing new". Yet Dragon Quest 8 or whatever it was, for the PS2, got 9+.

squall211

FafaFooey said:
We get it. You love Japan. Stop using "-san".

Anyway, I really hope Mistwalker will still make a new RPG for the 360. I can see why a lot of people didn't fall in love with Lost Odyssey (I liked it though), but I really don't get all the Blue Dragon hate. Sure, it's easy, but I loved every aspect of it. To this day, I still despise how every single review gave it a low score because "it does nothing new". Yet Dragon Quest 8 or whatever it was, for the PS2, got 9+.

I wouldn't mind another 360 exclusive JRPG. I haven't bought a 360 game in almost a year. It needs some lovin'.

FoeHammer

Well, Duckroll has played every single one of Mistwalker's games so if anyone's gonna burn the Gooch it should be him.

I can't imagine that Microsoft hasn't greenlighted Lost Odyssey 2 and Blue Dragon 2. Both were two of the biggest games that the Xbox has had in Japan so unless Microsoft is quitting Japan (possible I guess), those surely are in the works. Maybe one of them for this year and the other launching with the next Xbox.

Totally guessing out of my ass, but I expect that both of those are in development.

Nif

Uematsu isn't doing the Final Fantasy movie soundtrack?
No chocobos or moogles?! What's going on?

/2001

radcliff

vectorman06 said:

Brownie Brown is made up of former Sqaure employees who worked on the Seiken Densetsu series. Genius Sonority is made up of members (including the director) who worked on Dragon Quest VII.

FoeHammer said:
Well, Duckroll has played every single one of Mistwalker's games so if anyone's gonna burn the Gooch it should be him.

I can't imagine that Microsoft hasn't greenlighted Lost Odyssey 2 and Blue Dragon 2. Both were two of the biggest games that the Xbox has had in Japan so unless Microsoft is quitting Japan (possible I guess), those surely are in the works. Maybe one of them for this year and the other launching with the next Xbox.

Totally guessing out of my ass, but I expect that both of those are in development.

Blue Dragon I dunno, but Lost Odyssey had a fairly decent crack of the whip in the West, so I could see an MS-funded sequel for 360.

lsslave said:
People sitting around discussing a game they know nothing about.

Welcome to hype my friend, this is doing him a world of service.

I hope so. The man deserves to have his ideals succeed, regardless of the console he makes it on

FoeHammer

APZonerunner said:
Blue Dragon I dunno, but Lost Odyssey had a fairly decent crack of the whip in the West, so I could see an MS-funded sequel for 360.

Yeah, it may be the big RPG Feel Plus is currently working on.

linkboy

toasty_T said:
I hope whatever they come up with has an exciting battle system. The encounters in Lost Odyssey put me to sleep and the magic wasn't flashy enough. Also, no god damn kids. They manage to sour every jRPG they've ever been in.

Earthboundpic.png

Says hi.

Bel Marduk said:
Change of management and a change of direction at MGS.

They probably think Natal will save them in Japan. :lol

clashfan said:
What's so funny? Are you happy MS is failing in Japan?
When they were actually trying to deliver games that I enjoy? No. (Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean IV, Tales of Vesperia, Eternal Sonata, Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant are all in my 360 collection and finished.)

Now that they just don't give a fuck? Yes. I'm happy they're being crushed by Sony, maybe they'll get their act together after Natal flops.

Bel Marduk said:

They have exhausted all channels. japanese just arn't buying it. And japanese indy houses is probably saying no amount of money or effort will keep this boat afloat. Better if MSFT just concentrate ont he properties they do have BD and LO. However I still have hope some developer wants to keep milking MSFT's cow.

FoeHammer said:
Yeah, it may be the big RPG Feel Plus is currently working on.

I agree. It kinda fits and who else to do the sequel than the same people who did the first, right? I'm hoping it's LO2 though. Might even being developed without Mistwalker. I'm actually interested on what Artoon is doing these days.

SimpleDesign said:
When they were actually trying to deliver games that I enjoy? No. (Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean IV, Tales of Vesperia, Eternal Sonata, Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant are all in my 360 collection and finished.)

Now that they just don't give a fuck? Yes. I'm happy they're being crushed by Sony, maybe they'll get their act together after Natal flops.
You are being a little preemptive. It hasn't even been a year in between the last 360 jrpg yet. How about you show a little bit more integrity.

Top Bottom