• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker/Sakaguchi announcing 2 games June 22, teaser images [Up: 1 for mobile/PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byvar

The Last Story is one of my favorite games ever - superb pacing and lovingly created world and characters. Would love to have more of it (and no, not through Terra Battle), but these announcements likely won't be TLS-related. Still very excited though!

By the way, browsing through Sakaguchi's twitter, I noticed he retweeted a lot of Famitsu's coverage of Sony's E3. Like this tweet. And nothing from MS or Nintendo it seems. Looks like Gooch is interested in Sony again!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
The Last Story is one of my favorite games ever - superb pacing and lovingly created world and characters. Would love to have more of it (and no, not through Terra Battle), but these announcements likely won't be TLS-related. Still very excited though!

By the way, browsing through Sakaguchi's twitter, I noticed he retweeted a lot of Famitsu's coverage of Sony's E3. Like this tweet. And nothing from MS or Nintendo it seems. Looks like Gooch is interested in Sony again!
Its story was soooooo predictably dumb though, like more than any other cliche JRPG.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Isn't last story a Nintendo ippo? A sequel could happen only of new would fund sakaguchi I think
Odd situation

No way in he'll he would develop a game for Switch on his own with the mobile success he has seen and with the Sony audience he has always talked to

Short stream today where they play the main menu theme and show off some character sketch art from new unannounced game.

New Title A teaser

vscg1eJ.png

~5 more days !

Byvar

Its story was soooooo predictably dumb though, like more than any other cliche JRPG.
The story between Zael and Calista was predictable and cliché, sure, but for me that didn't really detract from the fun. A lot of the story and character interactions that weren't between Zael and Calista were great IMO.

Anyway, here's all of the new 3D art/screenshots (look at that aliasing) of the first new project (the only one that Gooch has talked about so far, so I presume it's not the one that he's working on with Silicon Studio) that was shown in the stream linked above:
The girl is called Sara(h), and she and the three kids are now clearly the same characters as shown in the old art. A shame, because their color palettes looked so much better there.
Still amazed at how good these models look though, I hope they'll use this technique for future 3D games too.
some character sketch art from new unannounced game.
"Character sketch art"? All of those were 3D models (except for a few artworks of the 3 kids), the red notes was Fujisaka's feedback on how to improve the models. :D

Byvar

I missed this in the stream, but a new Uematsu song for one of the new games was played over a video of Gooch signing beta test contracts: https://youtu.be/IeZ-IsYZGug?t=1m43s (stop revealing everything before announcing the game Gooch)

Can't wait to learn about the other project, the fact that they're keeping that one secret makes it feel like the more important one. Though I'm very excited to see more from the 3D Terra Battle project too, love the art style. ~4 days left!

Pantz

Gold Member
I hope the swordsman sketches in BGM1 have something to do with this... and consoles of course. Excited to see. Mistwalker has a chance to save E3.

Sarah... The Gooch couldn't be any more generic JRPG if he tried.

I'm guessing he's pulling from his FF roots with this one. Sara, infamous princess of FF lore, seems to be the lead character, and the three orphans could be a reference of the orphans in FFIII (pre-DS re-envision, back when they were just "nameless" children). Basically, the four create a sorta "Light Warriors" party, Sara taking the "older sister" role, and the orphans as "younger brothers" and various job classes (from the art, it seems to be Fighter/Mage/Dragoon).

That dragon design isn't even shy with its Bahamut influences, either. Would be HILARIOUS if MW collabed with Square Enix and this was actually a FFI reboot... headed by the "father of Final Fantasy" himself... announced as part of the 30th Anniversary of the series!

FingerBang

I seriously doubt an exclusive PS4 game by Sakaguchi would be announced like this. I think Sony would bring the game to E3/TGS/PSX... but I'd be really happy to be proven wrong.

Byvar

One of the two projects (the Terra Battle-related one?) is most likely called
Terra Wars
Source: a trademark for it was filed on May 12. Trademark confirms it's for mobile and PC like Terra Battle.

Considering no other trademark was filed by Mistwalker or Silicon Studio, the other project either shares a title with previous work (e.g. Terra Battle: something, or Terra Battle 2) or isn't self-published.

I seriously doubt an exclusive PS4 game by Sakaguchi would be announced like this. I think Sony would bring the game to E3/TGS/PSX... but I'd be really happy to be proven wrong.
Of course, I don't think this is going to happen either, but it does make me a bit hopeful for the future.

BigBusiness

Neo Member
Really hoping one of those two games is the game with Silicon. Taking a listen to the two Uematsu-composed tracks on YouTube, it definitely had the atmosphere of an "epic" JRPG. Which I hope means console.

We'll see soon enough I guess.

wrowa

Really hoping one of those two games is the game with Silicon. Taking a listen to the two Uematsu-composed tracks on YouTube, it definitely had the atmosphere of an "epic" JRPG. Which I hope means console.

We'll see soon enough I guess.

You might want to give Terra Battle's OST a listen.

duckroll

Terra World doesn't sound like a game. The blurb suggests that it is the all encompassing brand for the universe Sakaguchi is expanding, with Terra Battle 2 and Terra Wars. It's very vague on details tho. Says that if you want all the deets from the 8 page interview, buy Famitsu this week. Lol.

Terra World doesn't sound like a game. The blurb suggests that it is the all encompassing brand for the universe Sakaguchi is expanding, with Terra Battle 2 and Terra Wars. It's very vague on details tho. Says that if you want all the deets from the 8 page interview, buy Famitsu this week. Lol.

That would be weird though. They've followed the download starter thing pretty well...

Fredrik

Started playing Blue Dragon again through 360 BC and now I just want a new Blue Dragon. Beautiful game and very much like an old school FF.

duckroll

That would be weird though. They've followed the download starter thing pretty well...

The other way to interpret it would be that Terra Battle 2 is a game they are ready to announce this week, and Terra World is some far off project they are slooooowly working on, possibly with a Kickstarter or whatever. I'm just guessing now because there is nothing much to work with until Famitsu details leak on blogs.

Mivey

Seems to me, that expecting him to get funding for a console title is a bit like waiting on a single-player game from Valve. It's not totally impossible, but you will probably witness the heat death of the universe, before it happens.
Am I wrong?

Fredrik

Seems to me, that expecting him to get funding for a console title is a bit like waiting on a single-player game from Valve. It's not totally impossible, but you will probably witness the heat death of the universe, before it happens.
Am I wrong?
He's capable of making master pieces so I don't know why he has so much trouble getting things funded, if I were Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo I'd step in and fund him at once and give him a great dev team for engine tech and let him put together a team of his own for the game and just let him take his time to make some magic.

Visceir

Rather curious to see what the gameplay will be like. TB arguably has the best gameplay out of all the gacha mobile games.

Am I wrong?

It's not so much a matter of if he could get funding, I doubt he'd have issues with that, I'm fairly certain he has expressed many times in the past that he has little interest in doing that kind of games and prefers to work with a smaller dev team.

Fredrik

It's not so much a matter of if he could get funding, I doubt he'd have issues with that, I'm fairly certain he has expressed many times in the past that he has little interest in doing that kind of games and prefers to work with a smaller dev team.
To me it seems like he still want to make Final Fantasy games, but the tech always place his games outside of the AAA segment.

Byvar

So the two new games are Terra Battle 2 and Terra Wars? That's a bit disappointing because the Terra Wars trademark is for mobile/PC games, and Terra Battle 2 is as well.
Terra World sounds like it's the TB universe that includes TB1, TB2, Terra Wars and that console game that we might get in 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom