• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker's next project artwork

Aselith

Do want. Not for because of the concept art but because Mistwalker is the only RPG maker worth a damn for next gen consoles at the moment.

StuBurns

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
Maybe based on Mistwalker history until now?
Exactly. Their games haven't done too well commercially. I'd be surprised if any of them made enough profit to warrant development.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
stuburns said:
Exactly. Their games haven't done too well commercially. I'd be surprised if any of them made enough profit to warrant development.

LO, surely. Its like, currently 3X what Vesperia's done in NA alone.
Isn't it past 500k WW?

StuBurns

Banned
John Harker said:
LO, surely. Its like, currently 3X what Vesperia's done in NA alone.
Isn't it past 500k WW?
Half a million units? That's not enough. Even if they broke even, which I highly doubt, the idea is to make enough profit to warrant the project in the first place.

A couple of weeks ago John Davison said a ground up 'next-gen' game needs to sell around 2.5 million to make money, including promotion etc. Maybe that's a little exaggerated, but 500k is no where near.

Maybe bomb is extreme, but I consider LO a bomb considering it's a really good JRPG and a platform exclusive.

Narcosis

stuburns said:

Their games have done about as much as one could hope for from a JRPG that doesn't have Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest in the name.

MoogPaul

WHOAguitarninja said:
Is that dude wearing a skeleton? That's pretty bad ass if he is. Skeleton + armor + tatoo+ butt cape = best char design ever.

i believe it's just behind him.

PS: I'd be interested in seeing how these mistwalker titles have faired after the selling of xbox consoles in Japan after Vesperia, Star Ocean, and RE 5.

StuBurns

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:
Actually, the handmade art is pretty good. The subject can be topic of discussion instead...
What? I got the first bit (and I stand by it being truly hideous), but I have no idea what the second sentence means sorry.

Aeana said:
It matches the images already associated with Cry On.

...There was never any association. That is a total inference and has not been officially connected.

In other news, ZOMG!!!! :D Lost Odyssey II? ZOMG ZOMG...

stuburns said:
Maybe bomb is extreme, but I consider LO a bomb considering it's a really good JRPG and a platform exclusive.
If LO is a bomb, what are all the other console jrpgs that got released so far? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any other jrpg was/is performing better in the west (or worldwide)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Grivenger said:
I believe Lost Odyssey is over 900.000 now.

I'm not sure how that's even remotely possible.

And 2.5 million sales to be profitable is absurd. Maybe MGS4, and even that's a stretch.
500k is profitable for the majority of games out there. Some people have a crazy understanding of how much it costs to make the average game.

If LO is a bomb, what are all the other console jrpgs that got released so far? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any other jrpg was/is performing better in the west (or worldwide)

It has a huge lead as the #1 selling next gen jrpg in the west, aside from mass effect its #1 on xbox

Cygnus X-1

stuburns said:
What? I got the first bit (and I stand by it being truly hideous), but I have no idea what the second sentence means sorry.

I meant that we can discuss about the decision to draw this specific subject instead of another one. An handmade picture can be of great quality, but also have a very bad subject.

For example, if you don't like the subject "snow and mountains", doesn't matter how accurately it is, you will hate it anyway.

PSGames

Keikoku said:
BB001s.jpg

By Kimihiko Fusijaka (Drakengard)

This looks fantastic. Thanks for posting.

I loved LO hopefully we'll get more info on this soon.

StuBurns

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:
I meant that we can discuss about the decision to draw this specific subject instead of another one. An handmade picture can be of great quality, but also have a very bad subject.

For example, if you don't like the subject "snow and mountains", doesn't matter how accurately it is, you always would hate it.
Oh, you're saying the imagine shows technical proficiency regardless of the character designs.

I don't disagree. It's nicely drawn hideous art.

Hellraizer said:
It depends on what you consider a bomb I guess. It's performed well for a JRPG this generation. But it's also not sold very well as a game in general.

I think of a 'bomb' as something that doesn't do well for the company financially. Regardless of if it does well in comparison to similar products.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Ridiculous, but for some reason I love it. I guess I just dig elaborate armor, and that little splash of color is a nice touch.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
John Harker said:
It has a huge lead as the #1 selling next gen jrpg in the west, aside from mass effect its #1 on xbox

mass effect is not a jrpg and fable 2 / oblivion are higher if you count wrpgs, but yeah it's the highest jrpg.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Kinitari said:
And while this looks pretty cool, it also reminds me of a 15 year old anime nerds wet dream of what he wants to be when he grows up. Skeleton dragon demons and all.

BAM!

Thats what I was going to say.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
John Harker said:

No. Fable, Oblivion, and I'd wager Fallout is ahead in the US and Europe on Xbox as well.

SilverLunar said:
Wow this is nice :eek:
is there any more of this??

Not really.

http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/en/gallery_eng/gallery1_eng.html

Mistwalker's site is basically Sakaguchi's blog. I think they pretty much just surf and fuck around all day with Microsoft's money.

I love them though. :)

stuburns said:
I think of a 'bomb' as something that doesn't do well for the company financially. Regardless of if it does well in comparison to similar products.

Given that not a single person in this thread knows whether LO did "well for the company financially", don't you think we have a bit of ass talk going on here? By your standard above, of course.

gregor7777 said:
Not really.

http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/en/gallery_eng/gallery1_eng.html

Mistwalker's site is basically Sakaguchi's blog. I think they pretty much just surf and fuck around all day with Microsoft's money.

I love them though. :)

What the?

HNI_0022.jpg

:lol

The important question is if MS was satisfied with the sales of the game or not. If they receive new funds from MS I wouldn't really see their games as bombs.

StuBurns

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Given that not a single person in this thread knows whether LO did "well for the company financially", don't you think we have a bit of ass talk going on here? By your standard above, of course.
We don't know the specifics for LO. But we know what other companies consider a successful product, and we know LO wouldn't met those criteria.

Hellraizer said:
The important question is if MS was satisfied with the sales of the game or not. If they receive new funds from MS I wouldn't really see their games as bombs.
Microsoft have already funded the studio. Their console games are 360 exclusive anyway. We'll never know, unless they tell us, who is funding their projects. But I think MS wouldn't mind making a loss on a couple of games. If it improves their image in the Japanese market. I'm sure they have a ton of criteria on which to base a success, Mistwalker only really have profit to go on.

Narcosis

John Harker said:
And 2.5 million sales to be profitable is absurd. Maybe MGS4, and even that's a stretch.
500k is profitable for the majority of games out there. Some people have a crazy understanding of how much it costs to make the average game.

I believe the podcast in question where 2.5 was mentioned was based on a discussion of the last Tomb Raider, which I could kind of see that game needing 2.5mil sold because it was released on so many platforms, which obviously increases the manpower and resources needed. but yeah, I think 2.5mil units to break even is reserved only for the biggest of the big games that are guaranteed to hit several million sales: GTA, MGS, CoD, RE etc.

A JRPG that's not a mainline Square Enix project is not going to get that sort of budget.

StuBurns

Banned
gregor7777 said:
something doesn't fit....
What? Those statements aren't contradictory in any sense.

I'll try and explain for you in case I wasn't clear. We don't know the specifics of LOs budget, but we do know that other companies consider similar sales numbers, a bomb, for example we know Mirror's Edge sold over a million and EA consider it a bomb.

The other statement was, being first doesn't always mean winning. If you still don't make a profit it's still a bomb.

Top Bottom